Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league.

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league.:
    In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : Agreed. In fact I would much rather have Lucic than Nash anyways. In terms of cap hit, toughness, and playing a true PWF forechecking game Lucic is the more valuable player.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

Glad you're not Boston's GM !

I like Lucic allot ...but more valauble than Nash? Give me a break. You sound just like the Montreal fans I have to listen to all day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league.

I would think that "the League's best power forward" would be a point-a-game guy, at least.  Looch didn't even do that in junior.  Until he does it in the NHL, I wouldn't include him in this discussion (compare his production to guys like Neely, LeClair, Lindros -- the prototypical PwFs).

Best young forward: at this point, it's Skinner, in a close call.  Plenty of guys looking to take that crown away from him, including TS, but 5 weeks does not a career make.

Best D:  certainly, Z was the best Dman in the Cup Finals -- but is he the best in the league, right now?  I don't he's the consensus pick for the Norris at this point.

Best Goalie: Again, TT: best goalie in last year's playoffs, hands down.  Best goalie right now?  Probably not.  I'd look to Quick, who's playing really well, even though his #1 d-man has been substandard/in-and-out so far.

"Bruins are a solid team" -- agree 100%.  Not a lot of weak links in this lineup, are well coached, and have decent cap space to make moves at the deadline.  The only thing that's a question for me (and mainly because I don't follow them as religiously as you guys) is their minor league depth.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league.:
    I would think that "the League's best power forward" would be a point-a-game guy, at least.  Looch didn't even do that in junior.  Until he does it in the NHL, I wouldn't include him in this discussion (compare his production to guys like Neely, LeClair, Lindros -- the prototypical PwFs). Best young forward: at this point, it's Skinner, in a close call.  Plenty of guys looking to take that crown away from him, including TS, but 5 weeks does not a career make. Best D:  certainly, Z was the best Dman in the Cup Finals -- but is he the best in the league, right now?  I don't he's the consensus pick for the Norris at this point. Best Goalie: Again, TT: best goalie in last year's playoffs, hands down.  Best goalie right now?  Probably not.  I'd look to Quick, who's playing really well, even though his #1 d-man has been substandard/in-and-out so far. "Bruins are a solid team" -- agree 100%.  Not a lot of weak links in this lineup, are well coached, and have decent cap space to make moves at the deadline.  The only thing that's a question for me (and mainly because I don't follow them as religiously as you guys) is their minor league depth.
    Posted by 49-North

I'm a big fan of john Quick, but wasn't better than TT last year and he's not better than him now. When ever this discussion comes up I go to one question. If you had to win one game, who would you choose. I suspect most G.M's would take Thomas, while you may get a couple who would select Brodeur or Fleury..Quick isn't even in that conversation right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Yes for sure, I like this team!
    Two solid scoring lines with some good role players on the 3rd and 4th lines.
    They have a tough guy who can play a bit.
    A solid back up goalie and they will be able to pick up a piece or two at the trade
    deadline for another run!!!!!!!
    Really hard to repeat but with their experience now maybe!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Also we have the BEST shut-down playmaking center in the league. Also the best agitator. And best backup goalie. Ummm. Pavel Datsyuk/Jordan Staal might have something to say about that 1st one. I'm not sure marchand agitates players/people more than Cooke or Avery. I'll agree with the back up.
    Posted by kelvana33

Ok well Bergeron is my favorite so I'm partial lol

Would you honestly rather have Cooke or Avery as your agitator over Marchand? I think Marchand has a significantly higher upside over Cooke and Avery. If Avery was so good why did he clear waivers to to the AHL? :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : I'm a big fan of john Quick, but wasn't better than TT last year and he's not better than him now. When ever this discussion comes up I go to one question. If you had to win one game, who would you choose. I suspect most G.M's would take Thomas, while you may get a couple who would select Brodeur or Fleury..Quick isn't even in that conversation right now.
    Posted by kelvana33

I agree with your comment about Quick -- I never said he was better last year; I noted that he's off to a great start without Doughty playing at anywhere near 100%. I agree that a 1-game must-win choice would be TT.  I suspect that a "pick a goalie today to build a franchise around" choice might be Quick or Renne.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : I agree with your comment about Quick -- I never said he was better last year; I noted that he's off to a great start without Doughty playing at anywhere near 100%. I agree that a 1-game must-win choice would be TT.  I suspect that a "pick a goalie today to build a franchise around" choice might be Quick or Renne.
    Posted by 49-North

I like Vokoun, Price, Fleury, and Crawford as well. I used to like Miller... oops.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : I agree with your comment about Quick -- I never said he was better last year; I noted that he's off to a great start without Doughty playing at anywhere near 100%. I agree that a 1-game must-win choice would be TT.  I suspect that a "pick a goalie today to build a franchise around" choice might be Quick or Renne.
    Posted by 49-North

Absolutley. I love his game, he has matured so well and i expect him to get better. Good team he has there in front of hm too...Wonder why nobody's tried to get Bernier,or maybe they have I just hadn't heard it yet. While I have you here 49, I'll tell you something. Best thing Vancouver can do is trade Schneider, and play the crap out of Luongo. You got big money and years invested in him, far too good of a goalie to be playing the way he is, i think it's all confidence with him. Sit him down, tell him he is one of the best netminders in the world, ride him, and tell him to let you know when he needs a break. During last years finals you could see him fighting himself and the puck, especially in Boston. He'll get his swagger back, but he neds to fight through it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : Glad you're not Boston's GM ! I like Lucic allot ...but more valauble than Nash? Give me a break. You sound just like the Montreal fans I have to listen to all day.
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni

Im weighting the statement of Lucic being more valuable than Nash specifically to this bruins team. With the need to resign Krejci, Seguin, Bergeron and others coming up in a few years. Yes Lucic is to me more valuable, Nash while good is really overpaid.

Sorry I made you sick but your "glad your nto the GM" cliche is pretty annoying and lame. A 35goal scorer at 7.5mil who hasnt been in the playoffs in so long doesnt seem like the right type of player for this team ATM.

Also I didnt write the original statement pulled it froma comment on TSN or HF or something.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : Ok well Bergeron is my favorite so I'm partial lol Would you honestly rather have Cooke or Avery as your agitator over Marchand? I think Marchand has a significantly higher upside over Cooke and Avery. If Avery was so good why did he clear waivers to to the AHL? :)
    Posted by lambda13

No doubt Marchand has more skill/talent than Avery or Cooke. But if you took a poll right now of who NHL players hate the most right now, I think Avery and Cooke would be the top two. Avery does have some skill though, could play om any teams second PP unit if he wasn't such a meathead.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : Absolutley. I love his game, he has matured so well and i expect him to get better. Good team he has there in front of hm too...Wonder why nobody's tried to get Bernier,or maybe they have I just hadn't heard it yet. While I have you here 49, I'll tell you something. Best thing Vancouver can do is trade Schneider, and play the crap out of Luongo. You got big money and years invested in him, far too good of a goalie to be playing the way he is, i think it's all confidence with him. Sit him down, tell him he is one of the best netminders in the world, ride him, and tell him to let you know when he needs a break. During last years finals you could see him fighting himself and the puck, especially in Boston. He'll get his swagger back, but he neds to fight through it.
    Posted by kelvana33

While I don't have the pleasure of listening on weekly meetings between Gillis and Vigneault, I'll give you my take on the situation. 

I think the Canucks felt that the 2009-10 season, with the Olympics, took too much of a toll (more emotional than physical, probably, but I'm speculating) on Luongo, so the current philosophy of increasing Schneider's games was adopted.  Also, Luongo's had ongoing issues with his groin, which he seems to tweak at least twice a year (last week being the most recent).

I honestly think that Luongo's main issue is above the neckline.  He's often too intense, too emotionally involved (must be the Italian in him).  I wish he would be a bit more like TT -- focussed, but also clearly seems to be having fun out there.  Perhaps it's "big contract syndrome", and the lofty expectations that go along with being the highest paid player on the team.

I can't see MG going too far in the "all eggs in one basket" plan, especially given Luongo's groin.  Without Schneider, an absence of 2-3 weeks without your #1 guy could see you drop right out of the playoff race, given the parity in the league now.  Eddie Lack is a top prospect, but I don't think he's quite ready for prime time yet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : No doubt Marchand has more skill/talent than Avery or Cooke. But if you took a poll right now of who NHL players hate the most right now, I think Avery and Cooke would be the top two. Avery does have some skill though, could play om any teams second PP unit if he wasn't such a meathead.
    Posted by kelvana33

Who would they rather not play against though? I don't mind playing against the two clowns because they are relatively quiet unless they actually hurt someone in which case we know what will happen to them.

I think most players would rather not play against Marchand because not only does he get under their skin but he also makes them pay on the scoreboard which if it were me, would only tick me off more. Nothing I hate seeing more than that jack bag on the other team thats been annoying me all game to light the lamp.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I would think that "the League's best power forward" would be a point-a-game guy, at least.  Looch didn't even do that in junior.  Until he does it in the NHL, I wouldn't include him in this discussion (compare his production to guys like Neely, LeClair, Lindros -- the prototypical PwFs). Best young forward: at this point, it's Skinner, in a close call.  Plenty of guys looking to take that crown away from him, including TS, but 5 weeks does not a career make. Best D:  certainly, Z was the best Dman in the Cup Finals -- but is he the best in the league, right now?  I don't he's the consensus pick for the Norris at this point. Best Goalie: Again, TT: best goalie in last year's playoffs, hands down.  Best goalie right now?  Probably not.  I'd look to Quick, who's playing really well, even though his #1 d-man has been substandard/in-and-out so far. "Bruins are a solid team" -- agree 100%.  Not a lot of weak links in this lineup, are well coached, and have decent cap space to make moves at the deadline.  The only thing that's a question for me (and mainly because I don't follow them as religiously as you guys) is their minor league depth.
    Posted by 49-North

lucic being named memorial cup mvp is more important than averaging a point/game.

tt winning 2 vezinas in the last 3 years = best goalie.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : Im weighting the statement of Lucic being more valuable than Nash specifically to this bruins team. With the need to resign Krejci, Seguin, Bergeron and others coming up in a few years. Yes Lucic is to me more valuable, Nash while good is really overpaid. Sorry I made you sick but your "glad your nto the GM" cliche is pretty annoying and lame. A 35goal scorer at 7.5mil who hasnt been in the playoffs in so long doesnt seem like the right type of player for this team ATM. Also I didnt write the original statement pulled it froma comment on TSN or HF or something.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

ILH, you need to take BOA with a grain of salt (or simply ignore him). Laughable that he'd compare you to the "Habs fans that he has to put up with". Most Habs fans I know are still able to engage in intellignt debate. I can't say the same is true of BOA..........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : lucic being named memorial cup mvp is more important than averaging a point/game. tt winning 2 vezinas in the last 3 years = best goalie.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

Fair 'nuff.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : Ah, last year Perry was league MVP, had 20 more goals than Lucic, and 36 more points.  They had very similar penalty minutes. I don't know what the exact criteria is here, in relation to hits and who's harder to fight or whatever, but c'mon, is it even close? I love Lucic, but he isn't the best power forward in the league unless you have some really strict definition.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Fletch, I don't really equate PIM's to mean power forward though (Steve Downey for instance). I love the way Perry plays the game but I don't remember ever seeing him on the highlights making bone-crushing hits. Lucic has that over most of the league's scorers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : Who would you rather fight? I'd rather take on Perry if I HAD to choose. Also we have the BEST shut-down playmaking center in the league. Also the best agitator. And best backup goalie. Just wanted to add those.
    Posted by lambda13

Didn't Perry lose a fight to Datsyuk?

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/97324

He will never live that one down...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

For me power foward = physical player who can score. = Ovechkin.

Slot the rest as you may but IMO he is the best.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : Fletch, I don't really equate PIM's to mean power forward though (Steve Downey for instance). I love the way Perry plays the game but I don't remember ever seeing him on the highlights making bone-crushing hits. Lucic has that over most of the league's scorers.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I agree.  I would never classify Perry as a PF, but was responding to the Hockey News article Bookboy cited which had Perry as a PF(?) and had Perry ranked lower than Lucic(?).  I think whatever the category is, it's hard not to go with the league MVP and 50 goal scorer over Lucic.

But if we have a little stricter definition of 'Power Forward', than I think Lucic is right up there based on the traits you mention.  There are also some new guys that are outplaying Lucic so far this year -- James Neal and Jamie Benn.  Both are playing a PF game and both are among the league leaders in scoring.  I think they are a half dozen guys in the same class as Lucic at the moment.  And that is not a knock on Lucic.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins are a solid team with best power forward, best young forward, best defenceman and best goalie in the league. : I agree.  I would never classify Perry as a PF, but was responding to the Hockey News article Bookboy cited which had Perry as a PF(?) and had Perry ranked lower than Lucic(?).  I think whatever the category is, it's hard not to go with the league MVP and 50 goal scorer over Lucic. But if we have a little stricter definition of 'Power Forward', than I think Lucic is right up there based on the traits you mention.  There are also some new guys that are outplaying Lucic so far this year -- James Neal and Jamie Benn.  Both are playing a PF game and both are among the league leaders in scoring.  I think they are a half dozen guys in the same class as Lucic at the moment.  And that is not a knock on Lucic.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Amazing that Dallas hasn't skipped a beat since losing Richards. I haven't seen enough of their games but Benn has been a consistent part of the highlight pack every night it seems. Good young player. Way better than I expected.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Did someone seriously say that "you have to match the stats of Neely, Leclair, etc."? That was all before the neutral zone trap, bud. Until hockey evolves again (it most certainly will), the numbers will stay down.
    Leclair had 3 straight seasons with 50 goals, and 5 straight with 40. Ovechkin hasn't even matched that, so nobody else will.
    Btw I don't think Perry really qualifies as a power forward. 210 lbs. isn't stout enough, IMO. He may grind it out, but I don't think you really scare anyone with that posture.
    Ovechkin is 6'2 233. That is one inch taller and 8 pounds less than the All-Pro linebacker Jerod Mayo. Yes, he's a power forward.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Did someone seriously say that "you have to match the stats of Neely, Leclair, etc."? That was all before the neutral zone trap, bud. Until hockey evolves again (it most certainly will), the numbers will stay down. Leclair had 3 straight seasons with 50 goals, and 5 straight with 40. Ovechkin hasn't even matched that, so nobody else will. Btw I don't think Perry really qualifies as a power forward. 210 lbs. isn't stout enough, IMO. He may grind it out, but I don't think you really scare anyone with that posture. Ovechkin is 6'2 233. That is one inch taller and 8 pounds less than the All-Pro linebacker Jerod Mayo. Yes, he's a power forward.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing

Actually, I said that you'd expect "the league's best power forward" to be producing in excess of a point a game. Guys like Neely, Lindros & LeClair in their time dominated the front of the net -- an area not impacted significantly by the trap.  To me, a prototypical power forward is almost impossible for most d-men to handle in front of the net, and can in many cases, get the "dirty goals" -- rebounds, tap ins, deflections, etc. that you pay for by taking repeated cross checks in the back.  I think there's more to being the league's best PF than that, but that's the essence of it, in my view.

Sections
Shortcuts