Bruins blog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mglsmrso. Show mglsmrso's posts

Bruins blog

I just started my own Bruins blog at http://bruinsbits.blogspot.com/.  Check it out if you'd like, leave comments.  I just started it yesterday.  I love the Bruins and have been watching them for more than 30 years.  I served in the Army for 27 years and didn't get to see them much.  Now I live in Kansas and watch them on the internet whenever I can (there's a website in my first blog that you can use to watch just about every Bruins game).  I'll be going to St. Louis with my son to watch the B's in February.  Glass seats right next to the Bruins bench.  LET'S GO BRUINS!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Bruins blog

My Christmas present to you:

No comment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Good luck. I'll offer some advice. Keep in mind, I have my own blog, have started a few others for friends, and study blogs professionally (seriously, it's my job).

1) Forgo game recaps and basic analysis. The Internet is flooded with Bruins news sites that range from experts (laugh all you want but guys like Kalman and the Globies are seasoned and highly skilled journalists) to amateurs. We all have our favorite sites and unless you're doing something really innovative, your blog will remain a piece of nothing in cyberspace.

2) Spellcheck. Spellcheck. Spellcheck. If you're going to post anything on the Internet, play close attention to spelling and grammar. These are two instant cues that will tell readers whether your work is quality or not.

3) Post frequently and publicize the heck out of your site. A post once or twice a month won't cut it. Even if you're basically re-linking to other news sites, you need to keep your site fresh or else no one will care. Twitter is a great means to promote yourself and read the fine print of your blog software for search engine optimization.  Unless you break a news story that everyone else misses, your blog will go unnoticed for a long time. Be patient.

4) Tell your own story. This builds on my first point. Sorry but I'm skeptical you can actually report original news or have an opinion that is any different than what's already out there. Use this blog to tell a unique fan story. Check out this site from a local friend of mine: The guy writes a lot about his travels and adds his own stands-taken photos on college sports. http://www.collegiatestadiums.com/

I don't have to tout my credentials but message me if you want more advice. I know what it takes to make blogs work.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Also, four posts in two days isn't the best idea. Now what are you going to write about? Spread it out. That is an impossible to maintain pace and no one is clamoring to read your blog.

I took a brief hiatus from my blog this month but I try for five posts per month. Realistically, I'd like to be writing more and I spend more time on these boards when I'm not writing at my blog. Another suggestion is to post on the same day or days of the week. It will get you into a writing groove that will help your own production and will set expectations for your eventual readers.

Another good example is this site: http://scottywazz.blogspot.com/ He will post once or twice per week, and has a ridiculously interesting Absurd Goalie Monday feature that it is a must read at the beginning of the week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mglsmrso. Show mglsmrso's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins blog:

Thanks for the advice.  I checked the other sites you spoke about.  This is really a work in progress.  I have ideas to try to make things more original (updates on Bruins minor league players, stuff like that).  I also want to include the links I use when I read about the B's.  I have to go to 8-10 sites a day to read all that I can about the Bruins; I want to make all of them available on my blog.  Thanks again.

[QUOTE]Also, four posts in two days isn't the best idea. Now what are you going to write about? Spread it out. That is an impossible to maintain pace and no one is clamoring to read your blog. I took a brief hiatus from my blog this month but I try for five posts per month. Realistically, I'd like to be writing more and I spend more time on these boards when I'm not writing at my blog. Another suggestion is to post on the same day or days of the week. It will get you into a writing groove that will help your own production and will set expectations for your eventual readers. Another good example is this site: http://scottywazz.blogspot.com/ He will post once or twice per week, and has a ridiculously interesting Absurd Goalie Monday feature that it is a must read at the beginning of the week.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Why would anyone want to read your blog? What makes you more of a bruins expert than me or anyone else on this board? Why would I only want your take on the bruins when I can come to this site and see many different bruins fans opinions and be able to interact with them? Good luck with your blog but you can find better ways to promote it than by spamming this board.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Good luck mgls. I will be sure to keep checking on it. Hopefully it takes off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

The best advice for blogging and I've done it on a number of topics over the past several years is to write with your own voice. Don't try to be writer A or D, no matter how much you may like and admire say Adam Proteau (he makes me wanna hurl) or whoever, you can't be them.
    Find one or two things to do on a regular basis (weekly, monthly, quarterly) that are fun for you, sometimes writing that post will make it easier to write other stuff.

Also, thanks for serving.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins blog : Thanks for the advice.  I checked the other sites you spoke about.  This is really a work in progress.  I have ideas to try to make things more original (updates on Bruins minor league players, stuff like that).  I also want to include the links I use when I read about the B's.  I have to go to 8-10 sites a day to read all that I can about the Bruins; I want to make all of them available on my blog.  Thanks again.
    Posted by mglsmrso[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Well, I think it's pretty clear I have one of the best blogs out there right now, bostonsportsbuzz.com...haha jk...

But seriously though, every single person that ever said they liked my site was because I was writing in my own style, my own voice...that is key...

Also, write conversationally a lot...it makes what you're saying more interesting and easier to read...

GL though man, I'll be sure to keep an eye on it...

Also, BruinsFaninPen, you get paid to critique and optimize blogs?

That is awesome man...

Is it fun?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

[QUOTE]Well, I think it's pretty clear I have one of the best blogs out there right now, bostonsportsbuzz.com...haha jk... But seriously though, every single person that ever said they liked my site was because I was writing in my own style, my own voice...that is key... Also, write conversationally a lot...it makes what you're saying more interesting and easier to read... GL though man, I'll be sure to keep an eye on it... Also, BruinsFaninPen, you get paid to critique and optimize blogs? That is awesome man... Is it fun?
    Posted by mannyortez3424[/QUOTE]

Uh I should be clear. I'm a PhD student who specializes in new media, particularly the study of blogs. I've done a few studies already and will be working on more research when I finish this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

I checked out your blog today and you're off to a good start. Also bookmarked Bostonsportsbuzz.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

From a fan who hasn't being able to watch the last few games ( because of too much freaking work !!), I enjoyed reading your blog. I did not find the writing pretentious, just informative. Thanks and I would read more in the future.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

[QUOTE]Why would anyone want to read your blog? What makes you more of a bruins expert than me or anyone else on this board? Why would I only want your take on the bruins when I can come to this site and see many different bruins fans opinions and be able to interact with them? Good luck with your blog but you can find better ways to promote it than by spamming this board.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]

Given your comments to the new B's blogger, and given the extended quotation at the end of your posts, I'm surprised your brain didn't explode from the cognitive dissonance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE] 2) Spellcheck. Spellcheck. Spellcheck. If you're going to post anything on the Internet, play close attention to spelling and grammar. These are two instant cues that will tell readers whether your work is quality or not. Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely huge.  Reading blogs that include constant grammar and spelling errors always result in the reaction of "here's another kid or illiterate dope who can just post on the Internet. What happened to real writers?"

Pretty common sentiment nowadays, especially seeing how poorly people write.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

[QUOTE]I checked out your blog today and you're off to a good start. Also bookmarked Bostonsportsbuzz.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory[/QUOTE]

Thanks man...

Definitely much appreciated...

Sections
Shortcuts