Bruins--Caps Game 1 Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Bruins--Caps Game 1 Thread

When your 3rd string goalie goes into their building and plays like that, you have to win that game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Beauty. A little scary taking it to OT, but a wins a win.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Holtby played well, very poised and no mistakes (got away with 2 errors in the third) but Im sorry, this was a typical game where the B's take a ton of no-percentage shots from 20+ feet out. No tips, no rebounds, no lateral passes, no screen.  A couple nice ones in the second, big whoop.  How many times did the B's make nobody goalies look great this year in precisely the same way?

Thomas was better. He slept through 2 periods and came up with a couple flat-out game savers in the third, especially the toe save moving to his right.

I think the B's could take less shots and be much more effective on Holtby. Not scared of him yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Most lopsided 1-0 it game I've seen in a while. I despise the "shoot it" chant but you need to put more shots on goal against this kid. He's not great handling the puck and isn't great at rebounds. Just throw it at him and crash the net. Tried to start a "Holtby" chant in the 3rd. Only a drunk and 3 12 yo's would join me.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Re: Walsh, Walkom, Morin 1st, 2nd & 3rd stars

In Response to Walsh, Walkom, Morin 1st, 2nd & 3rd stars:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins--Caps Game 1 Thread : Dr. Yo Yo I sure nailed this post.  In Response to  WALKOM, WALSH and NANSEN : So Yo, haven't seen blatant one sided officiating like that since the final series last June. Half a dozen Goalie interference calls on Holtby were intentionally missed, Looch cross checking, sucker punching merrily away after the whistle, no calls. How about Seguin, he chops Laichs stick in half right in front of Walsh and no call. The linemen's even got into the act with a BS icing with 2 minutes left and lo and behold the big bad B's had twice as many PP's.   Thats one officiating crew that wants to work deep into the playoffs! The Refs can Make you or Break you       Jack Torrance
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Did you watch the Philly/Pitt game? Same stuff, different teams. Guess it's a league wide conspiracy. Uh oh, here comes Kel again.... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins--Caps Game 1 Thread:
    [QUOTE]When your 3rd string goalie goes into their building and plays like that, you have to win that game.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

When your first string goalie posts a shut out, you only have to score one to win.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Grinder of a game.  It looked like the Bruins were playing NJ.

A couple of observations:

Krejci's line is broken.
    Corvo's better than Kaberle.
    Seidenberg's a beast.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LegendofBoston. Show LegendofBoston's posts

You all seem to forget that this kid Holtby at the end of last year was the HOTTEST goalie heading into the playoffs. He started 12 games and won 10, with a 1.79 GA. Why the Caps sent him down to the minors is beyond me. Then to top it off they sign a overpiced Goalie in Vokun and he cant even make it through the year before ending up on the DL. The kid Holtby is gonna be a very good goalie in the years to come, and I think the B's found that out last night. Should be a good series. The B's D looked stifiling last night, and if they play like that throughout the playoffs a repeat is not out of the queston! GO B'S !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]My 02: Caps came out suprisingly very defensively sound.  They made Holtby look better than the numbers say.  He really wasn't tested, imho. Now, I think the Caps will have to come out and open up offensively if they want to try to win a game.  This will just open up a freeway for the Bs to just pepper this kid with a gazillion great looks. 1 down.  15 to go. 
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

You're spot on Ipot. Holtby played well but they circled the wagons defensively and really limited the good scoring chances. I don't think they did so because Holtby was in net - Hunter has them playing a more defensive style in general. Holtby left some juicy rebounds and when Ovie, Semin, etc. start reverting to their offensive-minded habits the caps won't have the numbers below the circles to keep the Bruins from pouncing on those rebounds.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The Capitals strategy seemed to be to fall back and play as defensively as possible, and then try to have a better conversion percentage on the inevitable breaks each team would get.  It's not a bad strategy when you've got Ovechkin on the team, and it's probably their best chance at winning the series.  It's not a recipe for a long run, though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Holtby played well, very poised and no mistakes (got away with 2 errors in the third) but Im sorry, this was a typical game where the B's take a ton of no-percentage shots from 20+ feet out. No tips, no rebounds, no lateral passes, no screen.  A couple nice ones in the second, big whoop.  How many times did the B's make nobody goalies look great this year in precisely the same way? Thomas was better. He slept through 2 periods and came up with a couple flat-out game savers in the third, especially the toe save moving to his right. I think the B's could take less shots and be much more effective on Holtby. Not scared of him yet.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

This is what I saw too. Either the B's forwards were not fighting hard enough to get in the dirty areas or the Caps D did a good job relegating them to the perimeter. Holtby was good, no doubt, but he did not steal anything. He was solid is all. B's need to fight harder for position in the offensive zone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Holtby played well, very poised and no mistakes (got away with 2 errors in the third) but Im sorry, this was a typical game where the B's take a ton of no-percentage shots from 20+ feet out. No tips, no rebounds, no lateral passes, no screen.  A couple nice ones in the second, big whoop.  How many times did the B's make nobody goalies look great this year in precisely the same way? Thomas was better. He slept through 2 periods and came up with a couple flat-out game savers in the third, especially the toe save moving to his right. I think the B's could take less shots and be much more effective on Holtby. Not scared of him yet.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Thank you !  I was shouting that all night.  Only in the 2nd they got a couple of clean shots and he might have 304 hard saves to make.  Other than that all from the outside and the ones in the high slot got blocked.
    Caps had 4-5 players forming that box that teams like to do in front and keep everything from the outside.
    Bruins have to attack with speed.  Just like Kelly did on that semi breakaway in the 3rd (good poke check by Holtby) .  If the Caps D push you to the outside you need to try and over take with speed or power .  Lucic must do what Kelly tried and not skate on the outside and go around the net !
    OT game winner... good quick pass out by Pouliot and Kelly was faster than Wideman.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Grinder of a game.  It looked like the Bruins were playing NJ. A couple of observations: Krejci's line is broken. Corvo's better than Kaberle. Seidenberg's a beast.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

Big issue there.  Invisible all night.  Only Peverley stuck out a little but was not a threat scoring at all.
    Lucic like I said above must go strong to the net when their D angles him to the outside. 
    Krejci just needs to be more sharp.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins--Caps Game 1 Thread : Big issue there.  Invisible all night.  Only Peverley stuck out a little but was not a threat scoring at all. Lucic like I said above must go strong to the net when their D angles him to the outside.  Krejci just needs to be more sharp.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that too. Perhaps it is time Caron goes back to the first line? Peverely is just not fitting in, there does not seem to be any real chemistry there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins--Caps Game 1 Thread : I was thinking that too. Perhaps it is time Caron goes back to the first line? Peverely is just not fitting in, there does not seem to be any real chemistry there.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

I think Julien sees that also as if needed to shake things up he would move Peverley and put Seguin on the line with them.  Although I don;t think he'll try anything unless they are behind and needs goals.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Probably, I just hate moving Seguin from the Bergeron line. Those guys have so much chemistry. The question that may arise is what to do with Peverely.