Bruins Fire Head of Scouting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Bruins Fire Head of Scouting

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

And you seem to be the only one who has ever complained about this..... well, maybe bim ( with his expertise on drafted players ) also. 

PC, at the trade deadline said Subban and Spooner were not being traded. That says something about what the Bruins organization thinks of Spooner............which is different then your thoughts .......of course. 

ok, ok, I shouldn't have brought it up and let's not go down that rathole, and they have made some pretty good picks, but then they've made some bad ones, too.  And the bad ones were obviously very bad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

in five plus seasons as head scout, aside from Seguin, Hamilton & Caron, pix made by Smith have played a grand total of 36 games in the nhl....

not sure if he was already HS for the '07 draft, if so add another 20 games played by Hamill to the total....

thus why Smith's looking for another job today....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to red75's comment:

[QUOTE]

They took Spooner over Tyler Toffoli.

[/QUOTE]

Do you put Toffoli that much higher than Spooner? Similar AHL numbers, Spooner's are slightly better. Toffoli made the jump a little sooner and he looked solid in the playoffs, but I think it's pretty tough to call Toffoli the better player, at least yet. Toffoli's only clear advantage so far is size.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to stanjon's comment:

not high on spoon 

Why ?

knight we will know this year

Know what ? He missed almost all of last year which basically makes this year his first full year of pro hockey. 

Subban not impressive in world juniors

........but very impressive for 63 games of OHL action last year.

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

ok, ok, I shouldn't have brought it up and let's not go down that rathole, and they have made some pretty good picks, but then they've made some bad ones, too.  And the bad ones were obviously very bad.

I'll not go down that rathole if you don't.

Never liked what you had to say about that from day one. I'll defend that pick every time it gets brought up. Spooner and Knight were very good OHL players............it's too bad you didn't see it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Like with Seguin, I bet there is more to the story with Wayne Smith.  It is such odd timing to fire him two weeks after the draft too.  Maybe next week we'll read that he beats his wife or something.  Like with any other scout, it will be a good 3-5 years before we can really evaluate how he did in the past two drafts.  The Bruins seem high on guys like Spooner, Griffith, Camara, etc. so it doesn't appear that they have decided that recent drafts didn't go well.

I like the 'new blood' concept though and am happy to see PC stay hungry enough to replace friends and familiar figures in his efforts to always be improving.  Let that be a lesson to the rest of ya'.  You listening Geoff Ward?

marco, Ontario might produce more (not most) NHL talent than other leagues, but that doesn't mean that OHL prospects magically jump into the NHL after they are drafted.  You can't possibly say that the drafting of OHL guys since 2010 has been bad, unless you are going to convincingly argue that Camara, Subban, Hamilton, Griffith, Spooner and Knight are busts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Do you put Toffoli that much higher than Spooner? Similar AHL numbers, Spooner's are slightly better. Toffoli made the jump a little sooner and he looked solid in the playoffs, but I think it's pretty tough to call Toffoli the better player, at least yet. Toffoli's only clear advantage so far is size.

I harp on that because CS had Toffoli ahead by a few picks, CS had players ahead of both Knight and Spooner and it seems to me that the Bruins scouting staff wanted to prove how clever they were.  

And conversely you can say the same thing, is Spooner that much better than Toffoli to justify that pick?

CS is one list of many, yes, but it is a good list.  Disagree with them once, sure, but many times and substantially different than what they have?  OK, sure they did that, but of those picks they picked wrong, they were way off.

Another example, Tommy Cross had injured his knee when they picked him ahead of players CS had ranked in front of him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And I wouldn't give the O too much superiority over the Dub or q - last 20 years the OHL's won 8 Memorial Cups and the Q and Dub have 6 a piece - not a huge disparity. However, if you look overall, the recent drafting by the B's out of those two leagues has been pretty, well, dismal. Not much luck out of there since Marchand and Lucic's draft year. The OHL scouting isn't the biggest problem - it's everywhere else (though the NCAA looks to be getting better from a scouting perspective for Boston).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

re: picking Seguin.  No question they had to pick Tyler.  Look at that draft and point out a player anywhere near as good - other than Taylor Hall.

Skinner? Agreed at the time they had no choice, but that's how drafts can work out sometimes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And sorry for the consecutive posts, but I just noticed a mistake - I was reading from the wrong list (the runners up list) with those Memorial Cup wins. It's actually 7  for the Q, 5 for the O, and 8 for the Dub.

Tell me again how the O is by far the best amateur league?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Skinner? Agreed at the time they had no choice, but that's how drafts can work out sometimes.

oops, right, forgot about him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ok look at the larger picture.  Has Wayne Simith draft picks panned out?*   Big picture here not one pick.  Retrospective thought is microscopic and myopic.  Again I will stay to the thread, Badhabit, the man could not draft well. Singling out one player does not justify the dismissal.

I wonder if Svenson had something to do with Arenesson? 

*http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/bruins_insider/2013/07/bruins_fire_director_of_amateur_scouting

[QUOTE]

His first draft was 2010 - that year the OHL gave the Bruins Spooner and Knight, both of whom will be fighting for a spot this season. 2011, gave them some guy named Hamilton, and Koko and Camara out of the OHL, potentially good players still in junior this past season who will be in Rhode Island next year. 2012 they got a top end player out of the OHL in Subban, and Griffith seems to be developping ok - who knows about 2013. Most of the guys he's helped pick are still in junior. You're seriously jumping the gun with complaining about not many of them having been in the NHL yet.

They took Spooner over Tyler Toffoli.

[/QUOTE]

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

spooner - depends what you expect , I expect him to be a 4th liner at best from what I saw

knight loves to crash net, because of his style and size he is injury prone .Lets see how he does in the Ahl

Subban- very quick, did not do well against the best minors in world . 

knight loves to crash the net but is injury prone 

we will see how he does in ahl this year

Subban didn't do well when he faced the best minors in the world - hes quick but it takes more then that to be a hood nhl goalie. 

What a scouting report...a collection of one or two of the most common (though dated) cliches about each guy, followed by a sweeping generalization and conclusion.  Then repeated for good measure...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

spooner - depends what you expect , I expect him to be a 4th liner at best from what I saw

He played 4 NHL games as a 21 year old and you're declaring him a 4th liner at best. I'm going to suggest he gets more time to prove himself before comments like this are made.

knight loves to crash net, because of his style and size he is injury prone .Lets see how he does in the Ahl

The four seasons prior to last season .....he played 250 out of 272 games ( 92% ). Not an injury prone attendance figure.

Subban- very quick, did not do well against the best minors in world .  

Best minors in the world ? You better brush up on your hockey lingo. Sounds like you're talking about the AHL.

Also 2 weeks of World junior play doesn't define a player's career. Some pretty good, current NHL players were cut from their World junior teams and didn't even play in the tourney

What smells like heyooo/bruins8........posts like heyoo/bruins8.........is as smart ( ????) as heyoo/bruins8.........must be...................

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

are u kidding me ? who cares about the memorial cups. No league  produces players in the Nhl like the OHL

[/QUOTE]

Except the WHL...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

bruins8 has five accounts going:

bruins8

heyoo

winthecup

marco

stanjon

All the same idiot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

CS is one list of many, yes, but it is a good list.  

[/QUOTE]

If Central scouting is that good..................why aren't they working as NHL scouts for NHL teams ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

2013 NHL Draft:

OHL - 37 players drafted

WHL - 33 players drafted

QMJHL - 31 players drafted

No....nothing is even like the OHL...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

[QUOTE]

are u kidding me ? who cares about the memorial cups. No league  produces players in the Nhl like the OHL

[/QUOTE]

Except the WHL...

[/QUOTE]

Fletch, the Q has also produced a couple of decent players in the last 10 years. Nobody noteworthy comes to mind but I know there were some.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

LOL, Fletch put a burr under someone's saddle.