Bruins Game 5: Just Not Good Enough

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Bruins Game 5: Just Not Good Enough

B's out-hit: 47-27
    Lost face-off battle: 52%-48%

Not enough skating or finishing checks.  Not enough of the things that made them successful in Games 3/4.  Here is hoping they find it again on Monday night.

Go B's!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Re: Bruins Game 5: Just Not Good Enough

I agree!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCeagles01. Show BCeagles01's posts

between these two teams, it seems, its up to the home team and the goalies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Vancouver played better, Bruins didn't match it.  Too bad, can't really afford to waste one. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

We just cant seem to get a break in Vancouver......

We played well enough to win at least one of the 3 games in vancouver.....
    just no breaks.......

i.e Kelly Cross Bar in 1st period......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and that's the stat they'll see for game 7,  they know they cannot win with numbers like that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

think its about canada winning the cup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Let's hope just as easily as Luongo may have regained his form tonight, the Bruins make him lose it again next game.  Like they have a choice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Gutless effort.  What happened to that grit and edge from games 3 and 4?  I cant remember one hit by a bruin tonight that made me think "wow, nice hit".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Five4Fighting. Show Five4Fighting's posts

Everyone is pointing out the goal differential in this series after the loss tonight and how it amazing that Canucks now have the 3-2 lead.

I think that is the thing playing into the Bruins favor. The Canucks have yet to prove they can completely dominate. They can't seem to put together the hitting and scoring game like the Bruins can when they are clicking. That's why I hold hope for the Bruins here. This is three games now that the Bruins EASILY could have gotten a lucky bounce to go their way instead of Vancouver. They didn't. The past is the past. But it just shows that even when Vancouver seems to be playing their "best" against the Bruins, its not the same level of the Bruins' "best".

The Bruins come out in game 6 like they did tonight, there is no chance and one goal will do them in, but if they do reach game 7 (which I still believe is a very good chance) everything is back to square one and I like the Bruins' chances when they have their backs against the wall.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Exactly Crowls, almost everything the Bruins did well in the past two games they did poorly tonight.  The hitting was non-existent.

It seemed like Luongo had a very easy shut out (although he got help from the crossbar twice in the first period.)  Bruins have got to be better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Game 5: Just Not Good Enough:
    between these two teams, it seems, its up to the home team and the goalies.
    Posted by BCeagles01

B's are going to have to find a way to finally win the biggest game of the series when they go back to Vancouver for game 7. Somehow...some way. 

Keep the faith guys, they have overcome adversity before, no reason to doubt them now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Exactly Crowls, almost everything the Bruins did well in the past two games they did poorly tonight.  The hitting was non-existent. It seemed like Luongo had a very easy shut out (although he got help from the crossbar twice in the first period.)  Bruins have got to be better.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Fletch - Absolutely in agreement with you.  I didn't see the Bruins bring the game to Vancouver with the same level of intangibles, especially as you said, the physicality.  We saw this element throw off the Canucks in Boston. 

Some guy on THE FAN 590 said the Bruins brought the game down to the standards of a streetfight for Games 3 and 4.  I say good!  If it allows the Bruins to perform at their fullest capacity then do it again for Game 6. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Thank you crowls - many rose-colored glasses people fail to see that here.  Instead, they just start with the "F Burrows! F Lapierre! F The Sedin Sisters! F Vigneault!"  That, for some reason, hating the Canucks to high heaven will make the Bruins win. The Bruins didn't show up tonight, folks.  Get real.  They played "safe."  That's how you lose.  Vancouver was ripe for the taking.  
    Posted by ipot

ipot - I just saw on TSN that the Canucks will be bringing their families to Boston so they can participate in the celebrations should Vancouver win it.  Makes sense but man, do I hope the Bruins p!ss all over that plan with a rousing effort sending the series back for Game 7.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

The tone was set in the 1st.  The Canucks pounded the B's to a large degree and the response was wanting.  They cannot play like this in game 6 or Vancouver will wrap up the series!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Totally.
    Totally unacceptable considering games 3 and 4.
    Its not really game 6 which worries me though.
    It's game 7.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

No matter how much the team tries to put it out of theirm mind, the bruins thought they had this series after the last 2 games.  I posted earlier that I thought that the bruins overconfidence would lead to their loss; but this would make them wake up and realize that they have to bring their home game to vancouver. 

Bruins will win game 6; and will play their game in game 7......I see bruins winning at home; and making a statment in game 7.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Game 5: Just Not Good Enough : They just have to win, RHO.  Obviously.  No other choice. If Vancouver won this handily, I would have tipped my hat to them.   You know me by now :)  Nothing ticks me off more than the Bruins just handing over a game like they did tonight after what they did in Games 3 and 4.  It's a disgrace.    RIght now, cliche as it is, focus everything on winning Game 6.  Or it's good night.
    Posted by ipot

ipot - In comparing their previous 2 games to this one, I'd say the B's just didn't have it.  With what's at stake, it's a big setback.  I was hoping for a balls-out effort similar to the games in Boston.  The Bruins gave an effort but it fell short of the balls-out variety. 

Over the last few days, sports media outlets up here have been impressed with how thoroughly the B's dominated the Canucks and pinpoint their physicality as the most significant factor.  A guy on AM 640 said Bruin "thuggery" got them back in the series.  Over-stated but we get the point.  The Bruins were banging Vancouver around and it disrupted them at every interval. 

Tonight it was largely MIA, certainly not to the consistency displayed in Boston.  Again, my question is why would the Bruins stray from something that was so effective for them?  That is madness. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpeedBeatsThugs. Show SpeedBeatsThugs's posts

General consensus: Game 1 and 2 they played "Vancouver's hockey". Game 3 and 4 they played "Boston's hockey". Game 5 back to "Vancouver's hockey". Game 1, 2 and 5 were the most entertaining and exciting games I've witnessed in a long while, and game 3 and 4 were disgusting, dirty, sordid affairs full of cheap shots on both sides.

Boston, are you really proud of "Boston hockey"?

I'm glad Boston is in the East and we don't have to watch this garbage all that often.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cdninva. Show cdninva's posts

Canucks D was very impressive considering their minimal depth, but I'm still not sure if it was mostly their effort, our lack of "click," or 50/50.  

Not only was penetration slow, but we did not make Luongo move side-to-side like Thomas had to.  Luongo made great stops too but many were from dead-center point-blank.  On offense the Canucks had enough wide-open looks that the score should have been far more lopsided.  I waited and waited for the B's to set up like this to Luongo's right while drawing him to his left, even if the CW was to shoot high to his left.  Those openings happened and sometimes we got snuffed, but often when we did get the puck over there, there just wasn't any B in the slot to take the shot. 

Worse, at times tonight I think we looked half-asleep.  There were a couple of moments it seemed the one or two guys nearest the puck had no idea it was there, whether they were focused on line changes or whatever.

What do you think?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpeedBeatsThugs. Show SpeedBeatsThugs's posts

think its about canada winning the cup.
    Posted by 86redsox

...and what makes you think that? All the PKing Vancouver had to do tonight? Should just give the refs Boston Jerseys but Boston couldn't win anyways. I guess your boys are part of the conspiracy then.

But you're right - for Canada it's all about bringing Stanley home!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cdninva. Show cdninva's posts

I'm glad Boston is in the East and we don't have to watch this garbage all that often.

Maybe you don't have to shovel all that often either, but not seeing the Cup much has also come with the territory.

To me it looked like the teams traded playbooks.  The Canucks took a bite out of ours and even improved on it; I didn't think you could legally hit, smother, maul, and take down legally in so many ways, but to their credit they also boxed us out and out-pinched us on D.  They did what they had to do.

I'd generally rather see clean checks, shake the glass, move on and skate.  I don't like fighting, but what Burrows did was disgraceful - someday, he'll look back with regret - and after Horton got knocked into next year, I said to hell with it.  I can't see any team not responding the way we did to some extent, even a more skilled team.  We came close to losing focus though.  I mean, did Thomas really have to slash and attack Burrows?  No.  Did Marchand get fair turnabout for that submarine tonight?  Yes.

The '70s B's also had attitudes too.  Those were the days: I was much younger then.  I've read Terry O'Reilly as a player once challenged the entire opposing bench to a fight by himself - can't recall if that was the Flyers or not.  I recall a B's-Flyers game with an extra intermission so blood could be squeegied and mopped off the ice.  

So the whole series has been ugly, but nothing like the past - or recent history, if you're a Penguin/Islander fan.  if you're a 'Nuck, what happened tonight got the job done.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

No matter how much the team tries to put it out of theirm mind, the bruins thought they had this series after the last 2 games.  I posted earlier that I thought that the bruins overconfidence would lead to their loss;
    Posted by dbg1

I completely disagree.  This wasnt a team that lost because of overconfidence.  The B's tonight played the exact same game they played in games 1 and 2... tight, button down defense with a rush up the ice but not enough commitment to go to the net for tips and rebounds.  Outside of that one one quick one by Bergeron, there wasnt a rebound shot to speak of.  they looked like they were too ready to race back to their own end.

The problem here is the B's have tried to play perfect road games and in fact they have, losing 3 1 goal heartbreakers.  They obviously had to win one or more of those games.

While at home, they havent played anything like that. Its like the games 3-4 never happened.  I saw zero evidence of overconfidence.

Sections
Shortcuts