Bruins goalie situation in 2011/2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Bruins goalie situation in 2011/2012

First, I will say Tim Thomas has made me eat my words. An outstanding season from Tim Thomas & I have never been so happy to have to eat crow. I was all for trading him in the season to save money & address other team weaknesses but he has continued his stellar play deep intothe playoffs & he deserves credit for being a huge part in the current Bs success.

However, the Bruins brass are in a tough spot right now because they simply can’t forget how good Rask was in 2009/2010 & how good he maybe going forward.

There is no way they can expect Rask to be a backup for another season. Rask has to think about his career & contract. From all accounts he was a great teammate all season behind Thomas & is heading into his RFA season & will certainly want to cash out at the end of next season since he is really on a team friendly contract right now. Another season as backup will prevent him from possibly achieving solid numbers to help him get a better deal as a RFA. It could also hurt his development as he is not getting the playing time that he would be getting on another team.

As good as Thomas’ numbers have been some people forget how good Rask was last season. His numbers were very similar to Thomas’ numbers this season. He did that as a 22 year old. Lets also not forget Rask didn’t have the same team in front of him in last years regular season & playoffs that Thomas had this season. Rask didn’t have Seidenberg who has probably been the Bs best defenseman in the playoffs. The team also lost there best player (Krejci) in the 2nd round & had a player who was a shell of his former self as an offensive goto guy in Savard. Rask carried the Bs into the 2nd round after it was apparent Thomas wasn’t getting it done.

Lets also not forget how the Bs & there coach pretty well took the starting job away from him after one game in Prague where the whole team was terrible. Then Thomas came in and played great & Rask had trouble getting back into a groove & the net after that. The fact that he never got a fair opportunity to compete early in the season must be in the back of his mind. I know it would be in mine.

To expect him to sit & wait in Boston for Thomas to retire is simply unrealistic & unfair to him. It makes no sense for him to possibly stagnate a promising career because he is behind Thomas. If the Bs decide that they are sticking with Tim Thomas going into 2011/2012 then they should give Rask an opportunity elsewhere to allow him an opportunity to progress into his career & bring in additional assets. You can’t play forever in this league & wasting 2 years when he could be a starter elsewhere is simply not in Rask’s best interest & shortens the window of opportunity in his NHL career. I would certainly understand him asking for a trade this offseason if the Bruins plan on staying with Tim Thomas going forward. He has to take care of his career & I would have no ill feelings toward him if that was what he requested.

But given both guys numbers over the last 2 seasons as linked below I think both have benefitted from Juliens defensive system & the fact that both goalies have the top defensive defenseman in the game in Chara playing in front of them. It is kind of ironic that the Bs have had 2 guys in the last 2 years put up sensational & very similar numbers. I feel neither would have the numbers they had in a different system under a different coach. I feel Claude is beneficial to goalie numbers & team defense numbers but hinder’s personal offensive stats & team offence.

I don’t mean to diminish either guys numbers as both have proven they are solid goalies. Personally, I would stick with Rask after this year & attempt to move Thomas while his value is so high. I certainly understand others wanting to keep Thomas considering the year he has put up. There is an arguement for both sides.

Given the fact of Thomas’ age & the fact that Rask makes less money & has already shown he can put up similar numbers to Thomas on a lesser team in the same system I would stick with Rask & pass the ball to him in 2011/2012. There is to much of a chance of him being a solid goalie for the next 10 years to gamble on Thomas for the sake of the next 2 years.

I realize people will say lets keep both & that is the way it may play out. But personally, I see this situation coming to a head in the offseason regardless if the Bs win the cup or not.

This is not meant to be blast Thomas or blast Rask thread. But I certainly think it will be worthy of discussion going into the offseason. Just looking for a discussion on how the Bs should proceed with this issue which will be the elephant in the room come next week.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8460703

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471695

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

Re: Bruins goalie situation in 2011/2012

Well if the B's win the cup and TT wins the Vezina and the Conn Smythe as will probally be the case there is no way TT can be traded. PC is a smart guy and there is no way he could spin it so that moving TT was a must.

If I was TT having a no movement claus knowing we had won the cup, 90% of the team is comming back, we have promising rookies and a good draft choice why would I go anywhere.

Think about this senerio Bruins moves TT and Rask starts the season out badly, you think Carey Price had it bad. I can just see it now  "sure we trade a cup winning, vezina winning, Conn Smythe winning goalie for this seive. Rask would never be the same.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

No reason for Rask to jump ship. He'll have his time. TT only has a few years left. They would trade rask before TT, because we have other goalies who can move up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

We're tied in the Stanley Cup Final, and win or lose our goalie is likely going to win the Conn Smythe and the Vezina. Can we just leave this topic alone for just 3-5 more days?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

this conversation should take place a week from now, not now, i the middle of a stanley cup finals. there will be months and months for this to be hashed and rehashed. let's enjoy what's going on right now! TT is the guy in net, he and his teammates need to win 2 more games. let's stay focused! channel all of your well-wishing and positive vibes to game 5 and our beloved bruins.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Doesn't matter what Rask wants Chiarelli has RFA control and I believe Thomas will get a 2 year extension sometime early next winter. Then one day Khudobin will be Tuukka's back that is what I believe is PCs plan right now.

Question is will Thomas take a cap friendly extension ? I say no he will not...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Amen to that

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joebondo. Show joebondo's posts

No way you trade Thomas, He's a Bruin for life, cup or not.  He's a local hero now and he deserves to be treated as one.  He would absolutely take a "friendly" extension to stay, I'd have to believe.  I understand all is fair in the game, but the Bruins took a huge chance and gave him a shot, which worked out incredible well for both sides, no reason to mess with your legacy and the team thats treated you so well for a few bucks.  But thats just how I look at it.  Go Tank, two more wins and Ill be on the lookout for you in Vegas on the 22nd to shake your hand!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

The Bruins are set next year with Timmay. Rask needs some tutoring, I believe Kabubin is more ready to step in. I'd love the B's to get Dryden or Roy on salary to focus the B's young goalies such as Rask and Courchaine. Both Dryden and Roy are great hockey minds, as is Doug Jarvis who's already on payroll. Not sure what Kenny D makes in the private sector, but I would think the B's could afford him and see what happens.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins goalie situation in 2011/2012:
    The Bruins are set next year with Timmay. Rask needs some tutoring, I believe Kabubin is more ready to step in. I'd love the B's to get Dryden or Roy on salary to focus the B's young goalies such as Rask and Courchaine. Both Dryden and Roy are great hockey minds, as is Doug Jarvis who's already on payroll. Not sure what Kenny D makes in the private sector, but I would think the B's could afford him and see what happens.
    Posted by OrrEspoCash

Dryden's not in the private sector, he's a major player in Canadian government, and quite possibly the next Liberal candidate for Prime Minister of Canada. Can't see him coming over to help the B's. He's more interested these days in helping to run a country than heping to run a hockey team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

Emotions:

How can we trade TT, no matter who wins the Cup. I think even if Vancouver wins the Cup, TT could still be a serious Connie Smythe winner (like it happened with Giguère and Hextall). So trading a Vezina, potential Connie Smythe, potential Stanley Cup, very popular player appreciated from his teammates... hmmm be careful

Rational:

TT's value has never been that high. Trading him this summer could get you in return at leat one established player (2nd line forward or no. 3 defenseman) plus one or two very serious propects. At the same time it clears some space on your salary cap, giving you more $$ to shop wisely with FA this summer...

BTW    I hope PC is keeping an eye on what's happening with Markov and Habs. This guy is a FA this summer and Habs will have a big decision to make with him as he's been injured during the last 2 seasons, and they now have Subban to replace him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Emotions: How can we trade TT, no matter who wins the Cup. I think even if Vancouver wins the Cup, TT could still be a serious Connie Smythe winner (like it happened with Giguère and Hextall). So trading a Vezina, potential Connie Smythe, potential Stanley Cup, very popular player appreciated from his teammates... hmmm be careful Rational: TT's value has never been that high. Trading him this summer could get you in return at leat one established player (2nd line forward or no. 3 defenseman) plus one or two very serious propects. At the same time it clears some space on your salary cap, giving you more $$ to shop wisely with FA this summer... BTW    I hope PC is keeping an eye on what's happening with Markov and Habs. This guy is a FA this summer and Habs will have a big decision to make with him as he's been injured during the last 2 seasons, and they now have Subban to replace him.
    Posted by Bruinsforever

Rational part Duex-
    The devil you know.  I know what my 5 million (cap hit) is getting me, the best goalie in hockey, a player who is always on the ice and impacts every shift.  Sticking that 5 mil in the RFA fishing pool to see what I can get doesn't make sense.  The team is not cap crunched.  No need to do this. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I'll wait until after the 13th or 15th of the month to chime into this topic. I think Newfie Bullet brings up valid pts, but now's not the time to discuss it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

i'm with nitemare...i'll chime in one team wins 2 more games

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Im so sick of hearing about Rask.  AGAIN!?!?!?!  NOW!?!?!?!  SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!  Come on people, Rask has done NOTHING at an NHL level except have one good HALF OF A SEASON!  That doesnt make him the second coming of Patrick Roy. 

Ive done nothing but support Thomas since he came here.  I followed him since college and Ive said it before, Ill say it again:  When the Nordiques drafted him I thought he was going to be a Bruin killer for years.  When we got him I was PUMPED, and I thought he would get us here quicker.  However, he has been surrounded by nobodies in the past, and they got beat by Carolina a couple years back when they shouldnt have been.  But look at that team, COMPLETELY different team.  10 core players from that team are still here. 

Its not like Thomas sucked last year:  For a guy with a BAD HIP playing goal, he still put up respectable numbers.  Can we all agree that if Thomas hadnt of been hurt last year and was playing instead of Rask in the playoffs the Philly thing NEVER would have happened?

The Bruins have been snake-bitten more than any other team in recent memory.  This year, for the most part, they are all healthy and playing at the top of their game.  The years of Mark Mowers, Rob Zamuner, Jeff Hoggan, Petr Tenkrat, Stanislav Chistov, Dan McGillis, Nick Boynot, Hall Gill, etc., and the constantly rotating goalie carousel are over.

I dont get all the talk about Rask.  He showed one good half a season.  Thats all he's done.  I think theyre making a mistake by NOT playing him in the AHL and letting him sit on the bench.  I dont know how riding the pine is going to make him better.  I think if they could get a good return on him he should be gone.  We ALL know Thomas is THE starter here, NO questions asked.  So say Thomas goes down with an injury next year.  Then what, Rask?  Who has a whopping 79 games played in his entire NHL regular season career!?  Lets say he flops, totally, then what?  Then who do you trade to get a goalie?  I say if Rask has any value he HAS to go.  Its that simple in my opinion.  Thomas is going NO WHERE unless he wins the cup and retires.  Personally, Id love to see that.  He'd have nothing left to prove.  Go out on the highest note you can.  But knowing what kind of guy he is, Im sure he'd be back trying to prove he can do it again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from montecristo. Show montecristo's posts

In Response to Bruins goalie situation in 2011/2012:
    There is no way they can expect Rask to be a backup for another season. Rask has to think about his career & contract.

then they should give Rask an opportunity elsewhere to allow him an opportunity to progress into his career & bring in additional assets. You can’t play forever in this league & wasting 2 years when he could be a starter elsewhere is simply not in Rask’s best interest & shortens the window of opportunity in his NHL career. I would certainly understand him asking for a trade this offseason if the Posted by Newfiebullet

I've never understood this line of thinking....I've seen a very similar post in the past.....Rask has a contract, he SHOULD abide by that. What are you saying is that the Bruins should sacrifice the QUALITY of their goalie tandem for the good of Rask and his career??? Sorry, I don't subscribe to that line of thinking. If he doesn't like it, the collective bargaining agreement has provided for RFA status and at that point he can sollicit another deal.

Why should they give him an opportunity to go elsewhere? Hockey is a business and they should only move Rask if the return blows them away. Being nice gets you no where.

I love Rask and thought at the beginning of this year he should have been the starter. I thought Thomas was going to have issues after having the hip surgery and boy was I WRONG on that.

I love their high end goalie tandem and don't want the B's to do anything about it. Rask will get his...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

In Response to Bruins goalie situation in 2011/2012:
    First, I will say Tim Thomas has made me eat my words. An outstanding season from Tim Thomas & I have never been so happy to have to eat crow. I was all for trading him in the season to save money & address other team weaknesses but he has continued his stellar play deep intothe playoffs & he deserves credit for being a huge part in the current Bs success. However, the Bruins brass are in a tough spot right now because they simply can’t forget how good Rask was in 2009/2010 & how good he maybe going forward. There is no way they can expect Rask to be a backup for another season. Rask has to think about his career & contract. From all accounts he was a great teammate all season behind Thomas & is heading into his RFA season & will certainly want to cash out at the end of next season since he is really on a team friendly contract right now. Another season as backup will prevent him from possibly achieving solid numbers to help him get a better deal as a RFA. It could also hurt his development as he is not getting the playing time that he would be getting on another team. As good as Thomas’ numbers have been some people forget how good Rask was last season. His numbers were very similar to Thomas’ numbers this season. He did that as a 22 year old. Lets also not forget Rask didn’t have the same team in front of him in last years regular season & playoffs that Thomas had this season. Rask didn’t have Seidenberg who has probably been the Bs best defenseman in the playoffs. The team also lost there best player (Krejci) in the 2 nd round & had a player who was a shell of his former self as an offensive goto guy in Savard. Rask carried the Bs into the 2 nd round after it was apparent Thomas wasn’t getting it done. Lets also not forget how the Bs & there coach pretty well took the starting job away from him after one game in Prague where the whole team was terrible. Then Thomas came in and played great & Rask had trouble getting back into a groove & the net after that. The fact that he never got a fair opportunity to compete early in the season must be in the back of his mind. I know it would be in mine. To expect him to sit & wait in Boston for Thomas to retire is simply unrealistic & unfair to him. It makes no sense for him to possibly stagnate a promising career because he is behind Thomas. If the Bs decide that they are sticking with Tim Thomas going into 2011/2012 then they should give Rask an opportunity elsewhere to allow him an opportunity to progress into his career & bring in additional assets. You can’t play forever in this league & wasting 2 years when he could be a starter elsewhere is simply not in Rask’s best interest & shortens the window of opportunity in his NHL career. I would certainly understand him asking for a trade this offseason if the Bruins plan on staying with Tim Thomas going forward. He has to take care of his career & I would have no ill feelings toward him if that was what he requested. But given both guys numbers over the last 2 seasons as linked below I think both have benefitted from Juliens defensive system & the fact that both goalies have the top defensive defenseman in the game in Chara playing in front of them. It is kind of ironic that the Bs have had 2 guys in the last 2 years put up sensational & very similar numbers. I feel neither would have the numbers they had in a different system under a different coach. I feel Claude is beneficial to goalie numbers & team defense numbers but hinder’s personal offensive stats & team offence. I don’t mean to diminish either guys numbers as both have proven they are solid goalies. Personally, I would stick with Rask after this year & attempt to move Thomas while his value is so high. I certainly understand others wanting to keep Thomas considering the year he has put up. There is an arguement for both sides. Given the fact of Thomas’ age & the fact that Rask makes less money & has already shown he can put up similar numbers to Thomas on a lesser team in the same system I would stick with Rask & pass the ball to him in 2011/2012. There is to much of a chance of him being a solid goalie for the next 10 years to gamble on Thomas for the sake of the next 2 years. I realize people will say lets keep both & that is the way it may play out. But personally, I see this situation coming to a head in the offseason regardless if the Bs win the cup or not. This is not meant to be blast Thomas or blast Rask thread. But I certainly think it will be worthy of discussion going into the offseason. Just looking for a discussion on how the Bs should proceed with this issue which will be the elephant in the room come next week. http://bruins.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8460703 http://bruins.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471695
    Posted by Newfiebullet

So Rask was good in 2009/2010..He wasn't good this year.It remains to be seen how things will play out next year but Rask hasn't established himself as a legitimite no.1 .He may very well play 30-40 games next year for the B's as long as he earns his time.He didn't play the majority of the games this year because TT earned his time .Rask is in a good situation ,in fact he couldn't ask for a better one.As great as TT is ,he is 37.He obviously doesn't have a long career in front of him and the B's know that.Rask will get the opportunity  next year to see where his game is ,if he plays well ,he will be rewarded with more games.Rask has to be mentally sharp and ready when he gets his chance like TT was this year.Right from his fist game on TT knew he was under the gun and had to play well and he did .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

And another thing, how is Rask a GREAT back-up for all of you guys saying we have the best tandem in the league?  Rask was 11-14-2 this year.  You dont think there is another guy out there who can put up those numbers?  You dont think if Rask can bring a high return he shouldnt go?  There are a LOT of guys around the league who would be as good a back-up as that.  If we're talking long term, and Thomas being here long term, Rask HAS to be traded.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

How much hogwash must we read on this subject? Newfie, you sure are long winded, with lots of good points and issues. Some of the other " contributors" have strayed from your thoughts, though RED is right on when she suggests we wait a week to discuss this. Chiarelli is also willing to wait a week, or more, as Timmy's performance has presented a major chip in the trade, not UFA, market. Peter allready has Rask chomping at the bit, plus Khudobin. The Rask/Khudobin duo could be a very secure and dynamic alternative, and Timmy could bring a very skilled defenseman or offensive player. Something to spend the week thinking about. Win or lose, Timmy has done a superlative job.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

rask knows  if he is patient and plays well in the backup role  the starting gig is his once timmy leaves

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins goalie situation in 2011/2012 : Dryden's not in the private sector, he's a major player in Canadian government, and quite possibly the next Liberal candidate for Prime Minister of Canada. Can't see him coming over to help the B's. He's more interested these days in helping to run a country than heping to run a hockey team.
    Posted by red75

Ken Dryden has not been in govt since 2006 and as of May 2,2011 is no longer a member of the Canadian Parliament. The people of his riding in Toronto finally tired of him and his Liberal Party. So Ken is available, although I wouldn't let him near my PeeWee team for fear he would bore them to death.

Sections
Shortcuts