Bruins-Habs : First impressions...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

Bruins-Habs : First impressions...

Positive : - Iginla looks like he will fill perfectly the hole left by Horton. And, great chemistry with Lucic and Krejci. Let's celebrate the wedding, they'll be happy together forever.

- Torey Krug...soooo good.

- Terrific power play, mostly because of the first line and Kruuuuug !

Negative : - I think Soderberg will never score a goal in the NHL. Claude will be patient, but, after 30 games, the Sweden will still be scoreless, and will be sent down in Providence from where he'll never comeback. He's a kind of mix of Jordan Caron and Chris Bourque. Mark my words.

- Johnson looked very weak, and Subban did nothing wrong or good, but, he's so small, slow, and has a strange position. Really not convinced...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Bruins-Habs : First impressions...

Agree with most of that.  I thought both Krug and Bartkowski looked very good, which was encouraging.  Hamilton may have a real fight on his hands for a spot (although it isn't that often that all six d-men are healthy anyway).

Soderberg doesn't seem to have much touch, but he was involved a lot and seems to be pretty good along the boards.  I agree that he appears to still be adjusting, but I wonder he can develop some comfort and confidence, and then the scoring touch will come.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I said it back when JI went to pittsburg that hes a better fit in boston and he showed us that last night. I cant wait to see how the 2nd line will be,

Krug along with bart shoed they belong on this team.

I think we seen some good things from everyone, other than C Johnston but N Johnston could be a huge surprise for the Bs.

All in all I like what i have seen so far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Laying a beating on the scabs is always a good time, but let's not read too much into one pre-season game against a lineup that was one-half AHLers and rookies.  Krug, Bartkowski and Trotman all looked like they have NHL futures - in one game.  Hamilton will have to completely TylerMyers himself to not break camp in the top six, though.  They're good, but they're second pairing potential good.  Hamilton's a potential #1 D.  None of the four has reached their potential, though Krug and Bartkowski are closer in part by virtue of age and experience.  I'm expecting to see a calmer, more consistent Hamilton this year, and, if that happens, I'd be he does better than the 10 goals 32 points and +8 he was "on pace" for as a rookie.

The Yeti will look better when he's not playing with AHLers.  Cunningham didn't exactly seize the day nor did Fraser, but with the glut of PPs, they didn't see as much ice as you'd have liked.  So - I don't think either of those two proved anything one way or the other.  5 shots between them and both are guys who need to get their shots. 

Nick Johnson scoring that regularly in the NHL would be a surprise to Nick Johnson.  He's never been a big scorer at any level.  Well, for one bright stint of under 20 games in the ECHL.  If he wins the third line RW job...I think it's a disaster. Or he's on PEDs.

Subban did everything he could do except remember the trapezoid rule.  Krug and Bartkowski and Trotman did everything they could do.  McQuaid looked like what he was: a bona fide NHL defensman playing with 5 AHLers (even if three of them are ready to graduate).  Spooner played his game, though he needs to get more production out of it to win the 3rd line spot.  I've always had that feeling about him - his production always seems to hit a glass ceiling.  It's a respectable ceiling and all, but he leaves me wanting him to really break out.  Every time he moved in junior, you thought "this is the move that will really light the fuse!"  Particularly when Sarnia picked him up and tried to make a run before Yakupov left in the draft - he was good, but behind a few guys at C and so he didn't really make a difference. Out in round 1.

Are you not entertained?!?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x. Show golden9x's posts

Bartkowski looked just like he did against the Rangers to me..confident in his puck carrying abilities....a far cry from his prior call up....good to see

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I really liked what I saw from Trotman. Made some nice plays/decisions. Thought Malcolm looked good as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Way too early to get too excited about anything. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Looking forward to April.  The 84 game exhibition season gets me through the winter though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hang, ya spoiled git!  It's that attitude that causes the hockey gods to rise up  and afflict your team with catastrophic injuries.  "Oh, so you're pretty confident that the real season for your team will start in April?  Enjoy scouting for your 12th overall pick."

Love the regular season, especially when the Bruins are good. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Was able to catch the game on TSN.

My thoughts on the B's against MTL game 1:

McQuaid -- Looked solid as usual but quicker than years past. Would be great if he could develop into Seidenberg 2.0; not unreasonable given how long it took Seidenberg to "break out" and get recognition.

Krug and Bartkowski -- Both looked very comfortable on the ice, played a relaxed game. Krug made some noteworthy passes and obviously had the points to show for it while Bartkowski looked stronger and played like an NHLer..

Trotman -- Justified all the praise he's been getting in the press lately. Very similar game to other Bruins d-men (Boychuk, Seidenberg, McQuaid): kind of quiet, makes the smart play, not afraid of contact, big shot. Hope he can be the warrior the mentioned veterans are but could be tough with his concussion history.

Spooner -- Was absolutely flying out there and showed decent skill. Can break out of the zone and/or go end to end with just his wheels and puckhandling ability. No material impact though. Looked to be forcing it at times but you kind of have to do that with such a limited tryout and so much competition, especially at C.

N. Johnson -- Played great but still an absolute longshot to make the team (maybe 10:1 odds at best).

M. Fraser -- Showed off his nice shot in the 2nd period but was largely invisible. Kind of disappointed but only 1 game.

Soderberg -- Looks leaner and faster. Took dumb penalties and was bad in the faceoff circle. However, definitely more aggressive than last year. Not the best performance but I am intrigued by his summer development. Hope he can play wing or he's of little to no use.

Top Line -- Solid. Iginla fit right in and did not look much slower than Horton who played apprehensively most of last year. 

C. Johnson -- Bad game, opened the door for Svedberg.

Camara/Cross -- Invisible.

Cunningham/Fallstrom -- Played okay games. Performed a little better than Camara.

Kevan Miller -- Pretty decent game. No idea who this is but he was not a liability in this pre season game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Laying a beating on the scabs is always a good time, but let's not read too much into one pre-season game against a lineup that was one-half AHLers and rookies.  Krug, Bartkowski and Trotman all looked like they have NHL futures - in one game.  Hamilton will have to completely TylerMyers himself to not break camp in the top six, though.  They're good, but they're second pairing potential good.  Hamilton's a potential #1 D.  None of the four has reached their potential, though Krug and Bartkowski are closer in part by virtue of age and experience.  I'm expecting to see a calmer, more consistent Hamilton this year, and, if that happens, I'd be he does better than the 10 goals 32 points and +8 he was "on pace" for as a rookie.

I don't think that PC or Julien will be greatly influenced by Hamilton's #1 potential at this point in the road.  While I agree that Hamilton will certainly break camp with the big club, I think that he could easily do so as the 7th D-man (#1 in the press box) if he doesn't look equally impressive as Krug and Bartkowski defensively.  If Hamilton plays well in the preseason, I'd bet on Bartkowski as the 7th D-man.  But if Hamilton looks sloppy, he may be watching some early games.  Julien seems far less interested in pedigree than he is in current utility, especially on the blueline.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Providence will be Trotmans team this year. I bet he breaks camp with Boston next October if he manages to stay healthy. Krugs confidence level is off the charts, smart player.

Forwards vying for the 3rd line spot were flat. If this continues it will be a tough decesion for Julien. If backup goalie Johnson continues last nights play he can take the train to Reading, Pa. !

20 games for Soderberg, he needs to start showing something. He plays way to cautious with the puck.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Hang, ya spoiled git!  It's that attitude that causes the hockey gods to rise up  and afflict your team with catastrophic injuries.  "Oh, so you're pretty confident that the real season for your team will start in April?  Enjoy scouting for your 12th overall pick."

Love the regular season, especially when the Bruins are good. 

Haha I know Book.  Great time to be a B's fan.  Kudos to the entire organization for putting it all together.  You're right though, they could be one Rask groin pull from disaster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I watched it on a terrible live stream and could hardly tell who was who. Only pre-season but damn, 4 of 6 on the PP. Krug totally changes the outlook of the powerplay. Good to see him pick up where he left off.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dc-bruins-fan's comment:

Kevan Miller -- Pretty decent game. No idea who this is but he was not a liability in this pre season game.

Hopefully Thornton's replacement for next season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to dc-bruins-fan's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hopefully Thornton's replacement for next season.

[/QUOTE]

Isn't he a defensmen?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Fletch, NAS can't tell the difference even between a defenseman and a goalie, never mind a forward, forgive him.

I think he lost a couple of Chicklets Fred--The Turk

The goal isn't for the Bruins to take a beating for the team, it's to cause the opponents to take a beating for theirs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Kevan Miller -- Pretty decent game. No idea who this is but he was not a liability in this pre season game."

You would quickly change your mind watching him skate in Providence. He could give Colby Cohen a run for worse skater in AHL history.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to Remi72's comment:

Positive : - Iginla looks like he will fill perfectly the hole left by Horton. And, great chemistry with Lucic and Krejci. Let's celebrate the wedding, they'll be happy together forever.

- Torey Krug...soooo good.

- Terrific power play, mostly because of the first line and Kruuuuug !

Negative : - I think Soderberg will never score a goal in the NHL. Claude will be patient, but, after 30 games, the Sweden will still be scoreless, and will be sent down in Providence from where he'll never comeback. He's a kind of mix of Jordan Caron and Chris Bourque. Mark my words.

- Johnson looked very weak, and Subban did nothing wrong or good, but, he's so small, slow, and has a strange position. Really not convinced...

Subban is not overly small - a couple of inches shorter than Rask but a little heavier.  I don't think he is overly slow either.  There are no guarantees and he needs a couple more years of seasoning but because of how far he has come in about 7 years of playing goal my bet is that he becomes a pretty solid goalie.

Sections
Shortcuts