Bruins have started negotiations with Seguin on new contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: Bruins have started negotiations with Seguin on new contract

In response to OatesCam's comment:

Comments about the owners wanting 5-year max but not following what they want are confused about two things. The league doesn't want 5-year max, they want something like 7 or 8 year max contracts. You negotiate by asking for more than what you want - it's a simple concept. 6-year deals are hardly the concern, it's the 14 year monsters that are the problem. The other thing is that teams want to win and will use whatever they can within the rules to do so. I can't understand why so many can't grasp this concept. Teams are competitors, not a collective alliance. I'm sure the Bruins want a cap on contract lengths that applies to the whole league, but until that happens they will do whatever they can to help the Bruins, first and foremost. So will every other team. It's just like a goalie reducing their pads because it would be good for the game when no one else is doing it. Why on earth would they do that? You use every advantage you can until everyone collectively agrees to play by a new set of rules.

they could if it was that simple.  owners are not necesarily on the same page as GM's(GM's all wanna win, but the owners are the boss).  You'd think they'd pass down their economic principiles.  the collective bargaining agreement is about money, not competitive issues.  the current competitive game is "economics" , and what the league is doing is opposite to what it's saying...pretty much across the board.  If Sean Thorton was publicly making a case regarding the ruination of the game due to fighting....you'd expect him to change his game a bit wouldn't you.
    And 14 year contracts.  are they a problem, or is it just the way in which they're paid.  i see absolutely no reason why an owner or a player should be prohibited from this potential.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"the collective bargaining agreement is about money, not competitive issues."

I don't see how you can separate the two. Teams that can't compete financially due to the labour agreement cannot compete on the ice. One of the things they do to try and mitigate the financial inequalities is sign guys early in their careers to long term deals - really long term - in the hope of getting a bargain.  In reality, these deals are gambles when they don't pay off, they are guaranteed anyway - ALBATROSS - and become another impediment to icing a competitive team, which, in turn, makes it harder to draw gate and make money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I don't see how you can separate the two. Teams that can't compete financially due to the labour agreement cannot compete on the ice. One of the things they do to try and mitigate the financial inequalities is sign guys early in their careers to long term deals - really long term - in the hope of getting a bargain.  In reality, these deals are gambles when they don't pay off, they are guaranteed anyway - ALBATROSS - and become another impediment to icing a competitive team, which, in turn, makes it harder to draw gate and make money.

there will always be teams that can't compete financially...always, no matter what.  there will always be teams that can't compete competitively too.  the cba doesn't dictate that, and it shouldn't either. 
    anyway, i won't spend much time arguing contract duration.  i think lifetime deals "could" be an ok thing, if the right perimetres were set, but 5 or 6 year deals aren't the end of the world.
    and...don't think I'm not in favour of changes to the current labour agreement.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

there will always be teams that can't compete financially...always, no matter what.  there will always be teams that can't compete competitively too.  the cba doesn't dictate that, and it shouldn't either. 
    anyway, i won't spend much time arguing contract duration.  i think lifetime deals "could" be an ok thing, if the right perimetres were set, but 5 or 6 year deals aren't the end of the world.
    and...don't think I'm not in favour of changes to the current labour agreement.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Nothing on Lucic yet, or at least nothing we've heard of....I hope PC gets it done.