Bruins hire Joe Sacco

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Bruins hire Joe Sacco

Bruins hire Joe Sacco as their assistant coach.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Bruins hire Joe Sacco

Local Medford, Mass. kid. Finalist for Jack Adams Award in 2010. 

The real question is - can or will he coach the powerplay ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Local boy. Jack Parker product. Good sign if he can run a Power Play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Colorado fan here. I didn't hate Sacco as much as some of the fanbase, but I still hated him. He's similar to a Bylsma-type in that he expects every player to have the lunchpail ethic and play strong and physical even if that's not their forte; that could work for the Bruins but it never worked for Colorado's relatively soft roster, which is why Kevin Porter (who? exactly) was on Colorado's first-unit PP and why the Avalanche have had a lottery pick multiple times in the past few seasons. He also loves, loves, loves the dump and chase regardless of how ineffective it is and how much it slows down an attack.

The sole thing in his favor is that he's quite good at nurturing young talent: all of Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog, Stewart, Barrie, McGinn, David Jones, TJ Galiardi, Stefan Elliott, Brandon Yip, and Ryan Wilson (briefly) all developed into NHLers of various qualities, or at the least were not hampered in their development by Sacco's policies since he has no problem putting younger guys in positions of responsibility.

Sacco is best when he has a roster that aggressively attacks the puck on every shift and plays a north-south game, and has enough talent to win playing that style. His perfect team would be something like the 04 Flames or the recent Blues squads."

From a Colorado fan. Let's see what Fletch has to say.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Davey, are you really posting breaking news?

JMW is going to be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

:(

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That made my day....

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

made mine also, not the news, the remarks

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

What was i thinking!? I knew i shouldve asked for the good graces of the Bruinati before posting anything of that nature.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

:(

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I don't know if Joe is an upgrade or not, but I would like to think so.  He's played for Parker and had an NHL playing career, and was an NHL coach.  That's 3 things that Ward couldn't say.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

What was i thinking!? I knew i shouldve asked for the good graces of the Bruinati before posting anything of that nature.

If you suddenly disappear from the board, everyone will know why....

[object HTMLDivElement]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Going through any toll booths today Davey...?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

NOT ANYMORE!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Interesting comments from the 'Colorado fan'.  Hard to say much about this hire since we have no idea what he will be doing for the Bruins (PP? cheerleader?  Adjuster of shoulder pads and stick length?).

By any account, he "lost the room" by the time he left Colorado.  Among other things, there was an unmistakable 'effort deficit' at the end.  It seemed like he pulled of the unenviable double whammy -- not respected but also not a players coach.  Neither liked nor respected.  Shortly after he was dismissed and Roy was hired, Matt Duchene openly said that everyone in the locker room knew Sacco's game plan wouldn't work.  Yikes.

I'm not so sure I give him credit for 'developing' all of that young talent that the CO fan lists above either.  Duchene, Landeskog, and O'Reilly would have developed with me as coach.  Wilson was great for a year, then regressed under Sacco.  Elliot floundered from blue chip prospect to Mr. AHL. Yip is out of the league, while still young.  David Jones regressed terribly under Sacco.  Stewart was so lazy and disliked under Sacco that he was traded.  Galiardi was traded and is a decent 4th liner maybe.  Barrie has flourished under Roy, not Sacco.  Who wrote this??

But with that said, he has lots of playing and coaching experience and who's to say he won't be a good assistant coach under Julien?  Maybe he improves the PP.

Who cares that he's from Medford?  I used to live there.  Don't care.  I'm irritated if being a local helped him get that job in any way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Interesting comments from the 'Colorado fan'.  Hard to say much about this hire since we have no idea what he will be doing for the Bruins (PP? cheerleader?  Adjuster of shoulder pads and stick length?).

Who wrote this??

But with that said, he has lots of playing and coaching experience and who's to say he won't be a good assistant coach under Julien?  Maybe he improves the PP.

Who cares that he's from Medford?  I used to live there.  Don't care.  I'm irritated if being a local helped him get that job in any way.

Mac wrote it :) No an Avs fan on another site. That is why I wanted more input because I read in the Denver media outlets something entirely different.

I had relatives who lived in Medford, I wasn't impressed but it was the 70s n 80s. I do like seeing hockey players having success, that are from New England, no matter what NHL team it is. I'm not convinced Sacco was hired for even part of that reason. 

Funny on another site, someone was complaining that the Bruins should have gotten Guy Boucher instead, that the Bruins missed out. Yah lets run the 1-3-1 and see how that plays out in Boston.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I have to be honest, of all the comments I'm reading about the guy, I'm not seeing any positive ones.

That doesn't mean much, he could have had a change of heart since his last coaching gigs or maybe he's unfairly getting blamed, but I am seeing a lot of negative remarks about this guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I had relatives who lived in Medford, I wasn't impressed but it was the 70s n 80s. I do like seeing hockey players having success, that are from New England, no matter what NHL team it is. I'm not convinced Sacco was hired for even part of that reason. 

Don't get me wrong Sandog.  I love the hometown thing if it happens organically.  I'd like nothing better than for the next Bruins star to be Micky McFinnigan from Brockton.  But I just resent the notion of the Bruins looking locally for assistant coaches.  I agree with you that they probably were not.

I used to live on the Medford/Somerville border near Tufts.  Good times and not too far from The Burren in Davis Sq. which is a world class bar.

Played a drop-in in Medford once with the incomparable Shawn Bates.  Some local roughneck kept trying to run him through the boards.  A nice trashy townie element there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I'd like nothing better than for the next Bruins star to be Micky McFinnigan from Brockton."

This has to be a new character on Wahlburgers...Must!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I just think you're overlooking the obvious, BadHab. I mean, yes, his last gig was a colossal fail, and that's what people are going to remember, especially when you have ill coming from young players who didn't respect him - but I wonder the same thing as we'll wonder about Pat Quinn, Tom Renney, and the Keebler Elfkins in Edmonton.  Bad coaches who lost the room or just not able to get through whatever entitlement some of those young players bring with them?  So, up against the negative I'll stack:

1. Four years (well, 3+48games) as an NHL head coach.  There are only ever 30 at a time.  He was one.  He got the job based on his ability to coach in the AHL where he...well, okay, he missed the playoffs, but look at his rosters.  Betcha his teams played hard even though they were outclassed, and management wanted to see the same work ethic from their bluechippers.

2.  His name is not Geoff Ward.

Those are two very positive things in his favour.  Everyone was all over Craig Ramsey back when he left (just in time to miss the Cup) saying what a great coach he was based on his work in Boston.  That guy has had three head coaching gigs and hasn't lasted as many combined games as Joe Sacco has.  Whatever the players came to feel about him, he had management's trust for almost 4 years before the canned him.  Not a lot of bad coaches get that long a run.

Are you not entertained?!?!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

too bad it wasn't Joe Sakic instead....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Bruins hire Joe Sacco as their assistant coach.

When they hire a VANZETTI, I'll feel somewhat vindicated.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

LOL funny sandog...I actually laughed..

Who wrote this??

Mac wrote it :) No an Avs fan on another site. That is why I wanted more input because I read in the Denver media outlets something entirely different.

Funny on another site, someone was complaining that the Bruins should have gotten Guy Boucher instead, that the Bruins missed out. Yah lets run the 1-3-1 and see how that plays out in Boston.

Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Let's get all the local New England boys in here.  Is Jack Capuano available yet?  Capuano and Sacco sounds like the local mafia. 

There also might be a front office job for Garth Snow.  

Luc Dufour was as tough as Nails.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

Let's get all the local New England boys in here.  Is Jack Capuano available yet?  Capuano and Sacco sounds like the local mafia. 

Luc Dufour was as tough as Nails.

If they're of Italian descent, they must be in the mafia.

Sections
Shortcuts