Bruins invite (D) Jesse Lees to rookie camp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bruins invite (D) Jesse Lees to rookie camp

http://www.kelownacapnews.com/sports/rockets/218854821.html?c=y&curSection=/&curTitle=BC+Sports&bc09=true

"Heading into his third full season in the Western Hockey League, Kelowna Rockets defenceman Jesse Lees was getting set for another day of his off season training program when he noticed he had a voice mail. It was a scout for the Boston Bruins with a couple questions and an invite to the Bruins NHL training camp.

"I was making breakfast and got a voice mail from one of the scouts for Boston asking me what my plans were," said Lees, who won't turn 18 until mid September. "I gave them a call and they asked if I was interested in coming to rookie camp. It's a great honour. It's a great organization. It was really exciting news to get invited to an NHL camp."

What a great summer surprise to get for an undrafted player!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Re: Bruins invite (D) Jesse Lees to rookie camp

this kid will produce.

the rockets have a great defensive system in place .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

If they liked this guy enough to invite him to camp, would it not had made sense to draft him with their 7th pick, instead of using it on Mitchel Dempsey, a LW with 2 goals in 2 years?

They also could have traded for Pittsburg's or Chicago's pick, if for some strange reason, they really liked Dempsey.

Now, if they decide they like Lees, they will have to offer him a contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

An EL contract and that won't start until his last year of the WHL is complete or Lees goes back to Kelowna without one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They can't sign him.  They'd have to draft him.  Can't sign a kid until he's 20, I believe.  In fact, it is a little odd to invite him to camp when he still has a year of draft eligibility left.  They usually invite a couple of guys as canon fodder types - round out the rookie camp roster for the purposes of having the right numbers, but also to get a look at a guy in that environment compared to the drafted prospects.  I wouldn't get too attached to the kid, but it would be an awesome day in his life.

Are you not entertained?!?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

What is the minimum age for an AHL player?

"Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition."

His birthday is on the 14th of September LoL

PC must be concerned with who he has outside of Trotman in Providence now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to biggskye's comment:

If they liked this guy enough to invite him to camp, would it not had made sense to draft him with their 7th pick, instead of using it on Mitchel Dempsey, a LW with 2 goals in 2 years?

They also could have traded for Pittsburg's or Chicago's pick, if for some strange reason, they really liked Dempsey.

Now, if they decide they like Lees, they will have to offer him a contract.

Don't know if you saw my camp report, but the Dempsey kid is overweight.

Why they drafted him?

My guess is that they feel he's massively underachieving.

I saw him snipe Subban that day.

Disclaimer - it was a good day for sniping goalies.

Again, only a guess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

They can't sign him.  They'd have to draft him.  Can't sign a kid until he's 20, I believe.  In fact, it is a little odd to invite him to camp when he still has a year of draft eligibility left.  They usually invite a couple of guys as canon fodder types - round out the rookie camp roster for the purposes of having the right numbers, but also to get a look at a guy in that environment compared to the drafted prospects.  I wouldn't get too attached to the kid, but it would be an awesome day in his life.

I thought that too, but when I googled it, it seems any player, regardless of age,can be signed as an, "un-drafted free agent".

Maybe this is something new, in the new cba?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

They can't sign him.  They'd have to draft him.  Can't sign a kid until he's 20, I believe. 

I don't think this is correct.  18 year olds sign contracts all the time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Rangers signed undrafted 19 year old 6'7" Troy Donnay on 8/1/13

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=679430

This article about Sergey Tolchinsky offers a little more of an explanation, it seems you can only sign with team that offer you a tryout contract

http://www.ourhometown.ca/hockey/HH0056.php

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Drafted 18 year olds sign deals all the time.  This is a draft thing; I think you go back in the draft if you aren't drafted in your first year of eligibility.  If that isn't the case, why would the Bruins waste a pick on Cunningham, or the Kings on Tanner Pearson - players who were drafted in their second year of eligibility?  Why not just sign them and draft an 18 yr old?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So I was partially right.  There's a window. For a player to be eligible to play in the league, they have to have been eligible for the previous draft and, if they're under 20, they have to have a contract before the start of either the NHL season or the major junior season (if you sign a tryout contract, it's the NHL season).  So the kid will have to show he's worthy of a contract in a very short period of time.  If he doesn't sign in that short window, he goes back into the draft.  That's why Pearson and Cunnigham were drafted, not signed: they didn't convince people they wanted to sign them until after the next season had started (esp. true in Pearson's case).

Section 8.9 of the new CBA is on eligibility to play in the league - it's later in the section on draft rules and eligibilities.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

So I was partially right.  

Not good enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

So I was partially right.

If I was looking for partiailly right info, I'd take BHab off of ignore.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Even Stanley and Rusty are partially right sometimes.  I expect more from you, BB.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"why would the Bruins waste a pick on Cunningham"

Look at what you want to see in a forward after two or three years of playing in the WHL or OHL . I think you see why Cunningham was drafted and Jesse Lees wasn't (as a Defenseman). Also throw in what the Bruins have after Bartkowski, Hamilton, Krug and Trotman...not much coming through until after a ECAC or a Big East career is over.

PC sees how thin he is in Providence then calls his western based scout to scour for help.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That comment wasn't about the relative merits of the players, though, San.  I knew that the Bruins couldn't have just signed Cunningham after he went undrafted for two years - they had to draft him if they wanted him.  Otherwise, they wouldn't have wasted a pick - they'd have called and left him a voice mail and said 'we're interested in signing you.'  But they had to use a pick.  When I looked up the eligibility requirements, there's a list of conditions players have to meet to be eligible to play in the league, and the only one that seems to allow for Lees signing a deal is that between the draft and the start of the next NHL season, teams can sign guys.  If you wait until after the year and the guy shows he's got potential - or, like Cunningham, he continues to produce no matter what gets thrown at him - then you have to draft him.

Section 8.9 of the new CBA:

No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he:

(a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under Section 8.4; or

(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and

(i) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 orolder at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL Season.

(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).

(iii) had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed a n SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

To BigSkys point, I agree it is perplexing that Chiarelli went after some High School players but not Lees. I would say it probably goes back to the Bruins already having the max contracts for the organization.

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts