Bruins, Krejci In "Casual Discussions" About Potential Extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Bruins, Krejci In "Casual Discussions" About Potential Extension

Looks like the Bruins have no intention of having Krejci get to UFA status. In Thomas Dance's version of this report on RogerSportsNet he states "At 28-years-old, Krejci is likely past his scoring prime" which suggest his most productive days are behind him. Curious considering he just missed his top points total of 73 by 4. 

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/08/27/contract-extension-talks-between-david-krejci-bruins-expected-to-pick-up-soon/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Bruins, Krejci In

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Looks like the Bruins have no intention of having Krejci get to UFA status. In Thomas Dance's version of this report on RogerSportsNet he states "At 28-years-old, Krejci is likely past his scoring prime" which suggest his most productive days are behind him. Curious considering he just missed his top points total of 73 by 4. 

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/08/27/contract-extension-talks-between-david-krejci-bruins-expected-to-pick-up-soon/" rel="nofollow">http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/08/27/contract-extension-talks-between-david-krejci-bruins-expected-to-pick-up-soon/" rel="nofollow">http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/08/27/contract-extension-talks-between-david-krejci-bruins-expected-to-pick-up-soon/

Iginla wasn't much of a playmaker, so DK didn't get the scoring chances like he did with Jagr and Horton, in my opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

At 28, most players are past their scoring prime.  You may fine a few superstars that continued to light it up year after year, but most player's point production reaches it's high point before the age of 27.

As for Krejci, if he's looking for a cap buster, I hope the B's tell him to look elsewhere.  As a marginal first line center, I'm not sure if his biggest value was his play or his contract.  If his contract goes sky high, we know his play won't.  I'd prefer they move on if that's the case.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Have to agree with you NAS. If the number is $26 million for 4 years I say welcome back. Much more than that and you have to let him go. I'm hoping for the former because I think he is the perfect type of player for the system.

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The old sign n trade a la Thornton?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Somehow I think they get a deal done.

By the way, what are "casual discussions"? Are PC and Krejci hanging out in the players lounge, kicking back in barcaloungers, playing call of duty on x-box? So David, ya think you'd like to sign a long-term extension and y'know, stay with the team for like a real long time? Hey, watch out for that sniper up on that building there, eh? Yes, Peter...I think so. Is there any more Yoohoo in the fridge?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hard to believe that you just let a player like DK at that age just walk after his contract is up. But thats probably what you do. I'm thinking it's more likely that a mutually favorable extension will be done. Hopefully.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Sign and trade" refers to putting a player under contract (generally a UFA or RFA) and trading him before a game is played.  It happens in some sports.  Very rarely does it happen in hockey.  The B's signed Thornton in the off season and traded him in December.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"Sign and trade" refers to putting a player under contract (generally a UFA or RFA) and trading him before a game is played.  It happens in some sports.  Very rarely does it happen in hockey.  The B's signed Thornton in the off season and traded him in December.

[/QUOTE]

lol....you are such a stickler for details!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hard to believe that you just let a player like DK at that age just walk after his contract is up. But thats probably what you do. I'm thinking it's more likely that a mutually favorable extension will be done. Hopefully.

[/QUOTE]

Hard to pass up $$. Who knows what will transpire but anything more than Bergeron's contract and I think PC will let him walk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No offense, JMW.  People throw out the sign and trade idea all the time in hockey circles and it just isn't a common practice.  I can't believe we haven't heard it about Krug and/or Smith yet.  But, if we kill it now (yeah right), this will be a better place!

#signandtradenite

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No offense, JMW.  People throw out the sign and trade idea all the time in hockey circles and it just isn't a common practice.  I can't believe we haven't heard it about Krug and/or Smith yet.  But, if we kill it now (yeah right), this will be a better place!

#signandtradenite

[/QUOTE]

I know, no worries. You are right of course. I was just referring to Krecji signing an extension and then soon after getting traded which in my mind may be plausible if the contract is larger than PC really wants.

I have no problems getting called out when I abuse terms and make les than competent assumptions lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Casual" in contract talks means, the two sides have exchanged numbers. After this PC had to have a couple of swigs of his favorite Bourbon.

For those who have think that Krejci will take a home town discount because he loves it in Boston, keep dreaming, it ain't gonna happen. I think PC pays in the end.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For those who have think that Krejci will take a home town discount because he loves it in Boston, keep dreaming, it ain't gonna happen. I think PC pays in the end.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly...agree entirely with the "home town discount" myth. But I do think PC deals Krecji in a blockbuster rather than pay him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly...agree entirely with the "home town discount" myth. But I do think PC deals Krecji in a blockbuster rather than pay him.

[/QUOTE]

I gotta agree that he could very well be on his way out in a big trade. He's gonna want BIG bucks, and he'll get it somewhere

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Funny that this is more or less exactly the situation that is playing out in SJ right now.  The timeline's a little longer, but otherwise, sign JT Superstar in the summer and trade him shortly thereafter.  When this happens twice to a player of that profile and skill set, how can it not be at least partly about him?
    [object HTMLDivElement]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

a player of that profile and skill set, how can it not be at least partly about him?
    [object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Defenders of Jumbo just refuse to acknowledge this fact, conveniently pointing out his regular season point totals and that the Sharts troubles can't all be pinned on Joe. While this is true,it is also true that Joe has always been a perimeter player with no playoff "overdrive" switch so to speak and his playoff record and ability to raise his game at the most important times,is greatly lacking. Thornton got traded from Boston, the Sharts attempted to trade him again and i think it has a LOT to do about him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

DK gets a 5 yr 6.5 per. In Boston & he doesn't get traded months later.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

Hard to pass up $$. Who knows what will transpire but anything more than Bergeron's contract and I think PC will let him walk.

[/QUOTE]

Sign him before he gets to UFA and this is less of an issue. I think there's a huge difference between what the phrase "he's leaving money on the table" means when it's a choice between two firm offers and when it's a firm offer vs. speculation on what a guy could get if he waits and goes to UFA.  Look at Tomas Vanek.  Didn't the Isles offer him $7M when he was there?  And the story was "he might be leaving money on the table" if he signs that deal.  Instead, he's gone wild (they should really consider a logo change...) for half a million less per year after underwhelming in the playoffs.

There are plenty of worst cases Krejci might want to consider before rolling the dice as a UFA.  If he gets injured, it will depress his market value.  If he has a bad year playing with his third RW in three years, it could depress his market value.  And if he has another playoff year that wipes out the memory of his two great playoff runs?  Definitely depresses his market value.  Right now, his best comparable is Paul Stastny - hired by the Blues to be their #1C at $7M, but only for 4 years.  Same age as DK, basically.  Better goal-scorer, lower overall point total playing on a more wide-open team.  Based on that, DK might come in asking for $8M, but that 4 years might be a sticking point.  Boston comes back with the PB cap, but for 8 years: $52M in guaranteed money at $6.5M per.  That's $32M vs. $52M.  Now, Krejci could decide to play the odds and say he'll earn more than $20M on his next deal, so he'd be "leaving money...", but that's a lot of risk for a guy who isn't the biggest player.

I'm going to guess we see something like the latter, but I'm also wondering if PC is also having conversations with the Yeti's agent and wondering what Lucic-Yeti-Eriksson might do and how it would compare to DK in the middle.

[object HTMLDivElement]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

BDC would explode if Soderberg got extended before Krejci and  I could see PC doing just that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I think one thing that PC lives by & that's depth. One of the main reasons that Boston gets to be involved in the conversations with the great teams in the West is because the B's do match up well against the Hawks, Ducks & of course the Kings. The main position that they match well, or better than is the center ice position. One of the biggest reasons the Bruins have been tops in the league for a huge + differential is the 5 on 5. This is accumulated because they gain so much possession from their centers. Whether it's off the draw or take away's. Right now the B's have 4 centers ( when you include Kelly) that hang around the 50% mark & one that is borderline of 60%. I don't think PC allows DK to go anywhere. I also don't think DK asks for so much that leaves PC no other option, but to let him walk.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think 28 is a little too early to declare someone past their scoring prime.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Gretzky only topped 150 points in a season once after his 28 yr old season.

Ditto for Mario Lemieux (injuries didn't help)

Sakic had one of his six 100 point seasons after 28 (his second best year overall)

Yzerman had his last 100 season the year he turned 28.

Mark Messier had his best year at 29.

Pavel Bure had 58 and 59 goals after turning 28 and before injuries ended his effectiveness.

It may not be a hard and fast rule, like a Rubicon you cross or something, but I think most career outlines will show the same thing - 80% of the best scoring production years will fall before 28, not after, and while many players will hold at about 90% of their average high-water season well into their 30s, they aren't about to set new career highs.  It happens; don't expect it to happen.

Are you not entertained?!?!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

/QUOTE]

I was thinking the exact same thing.

but apparently BB has some very solid stats

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I used to think that also.  A few years ago, Oatescam came out with some wild declaration that most players hit their goal scoring peak before the age of 23.  I thought it was insane so I spent hours researching it.  Outside of some of the super superstars and a few pluggers, it was correct.  It was very surprising, to say the least, both that the info was correct and that Oatescam was correct!

Sections
Shortcuts