Bruins Mt. Rushmore

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Bruins Mt. Rushmore

Heard these sports guys doing this for NFL teams, so I wanted to throw it out there on this board.  If you could make a Mt. Rushmore of 4 members of the Boston Bruins, who would you choose? You can pick any Bruins player or coach, but the catch they were using is that the players had to be from the last 25 years (no going back and using Orr, Espo, etc).....

Given the Bruins have a lot of really good choices, I'm wondering who the fans here would select. Although I'm not a Bruins "fan" myself, there sure are plenty of guys to like and respect, so I'd probably have to go with these 4:

Neely, Bourque, Thomas and Oates.

The first 2 I think are pretty much no-brainers. They're Bruins icons and Hall of Famers. Thomas won the Conn Smythe on the only Cup the team's won in the 25 year window, and Oates was one of the greatest pure talents of his era.

A LOT of quality guys out there to pick from....what do the rest of you think?

(And FYI my Habs Mt. Rushmore for the last 25 years would be Roy, Koivu, Carbonneau and Theodore)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Re: Bruins Mt. Rushmore

I'd probably go Neely, Bourque, Timmy, and Rick Middleton...

Or Moog...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Kennedy - You're right.  That 25 year restriction rules out some obvious choices.  I'd also agree with your picks for the reasons you stated.  If I had an honourable mention list it would include Don Sweeney (not the biggest player around but got in the mix of play as if he were - plus his years of service as a Bruin are admirable), Joe Juneau for being a slick center who produced a 102 point season back in '92/'93, Andy Moog, who with Lemelin gave the club some stout goaltending and Byron Dafoe.  Perhaps because of that one year with 10 SO's.  Was always a favourite of mine. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

The "25-year" restriction stinks.  It's only there because most of the people listening to sportstalk radio these days aren't old enough to have any knowledge of the legends of the game.  Without that restriction, none of the players that these people adore would even make it on to the shortlist for teams with storied pasts like the Bruins.  The mere thought of doing a Bruins Mt. Rushmore without Shore, Schmidt, Espo or Orr is pure folly.

Teams like the Bruins should never take their history for granted, because it's one of the things that so many other teams in the league simply don't have. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Neely-Bourque (best from 25 years ago)

(dark period)

Chara-Thomas (best from today)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

What's the purpose of a 25 year restriction?

A Boston Bruins Mt Rushmore without Orr has no value.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Who cars about a 25 year restriction? I can name 4 from this year!

Thomas, Chara, Bergeron and Krejci (honorable mention to Ference and Lucic and the only reason other names no considered is due to their time with the team.)

The fact is: they brought home the Cup. No need to go back to the days of Orr.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Mt. Rushmore:
    [QUOTE]What's the purpose of a 25 year restriction? A Boston Bruins Mt Rushmore without Orr has no value.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  Take off the restrictions and I would have Orr, Bourque and Neely for sure.  The 4th is a tough call but I would think one of the following:

Shore
    Schmidt
    Buyck
    Middleton
    O'Reilly
    Thomas
    Chara
    Maybe even Espo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]  The mere thought of doing a Bruins Mt. Rushmore without Shore, Schmidt, Espo or Orr is pure folly.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Which would make for a really fun discussion, wouldn't it?

[QUOTE]What's the purpose of a 25 year restriction? A Boston Bruins Mt Rushmore without Orr has no value.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

The above. With franchises like Boston, you usually have 3-4 guys who are automatics. It invalidates any kind of discussion.

And let's be honest: I'd gather that the majority of the people posting here didn't see Espo or Orr in anything but highlight clips. Nobody saw Shore or Schmidt. It keeps the conversation to people we've actually seen play, not guys we've heard about, regardless of their importance to the days of yore.

Besides, I'm a Habs fan. What do we care about the past? History shmistory!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

O'Reilly, O'Dwyer, O'Connell & O'Donnell

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Mt. Rushmore : Which would make for a really fun discussion, wouldn't it? The above. With franchises like Boston, you usually have 3-4 guys who are automatics. It invalidates any kind of discussion. And let's be honest: I'd gather that the majority of the people posting here didn't see Espo or Orr in anything but highlight clips. Nobody saw Shore or Schmidt. It keeps the conversation to people we've actually seen play, not guys we've heard about, regardless of their importance to the days of yore. Besides, I'm a Habs fan. What do we care about the past? History shmistory!
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

You are right about the discussion part; it would be a pretty short conversation.

I think there might be a few people here like myself that saw Orr and Espo play at the Garden quite a bit.  I got on a first name basis with a couple of the rats, and I don't mean Linsman.

Catering to the "recent history" crowd feels awful Pink Hat, though.  This is an Original 6 franchise, ya know, Mr. Hab Fan Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Mt. Rushmore : Which would make for a really fun discussion, wouldn't it? The above. With franchises like Boston, you usually have 3-4 guys who are automatics. It invalidates any kind of discussion. And let's be honest: I'd gather that the majority of the people posting here didn't see Espo or Orr in anything but highlight clips. Nobody saw Shore or Schmidt. It keeps the conversation to people we've actually seen play, not guys we've heard about, regardless of their importance to the days of yore. Besides, I'm a Habs fan. What do we care about the past? History shmistory!
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]
    Nailing down a Habs team based on the last 25 years is no easy task either. Goalie is obvious but it gets tricky after that. Bobby Smith, Mats Naslund, Richer, Koivu, Robinson, Savard, Damphouse..........who you pickin'?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Mt. Rushmore : Exactly.  Take off the restrictions and I would have Orr, Bourque and Neely for sure.  The 4th is a tough call but I would think one of the following: Shore Schmidt Buyck Middleton O'Reilly Thomas Chara Maybe even Espo
    Posted by huntbri[/QUOTE]

Shore and Schmidt before Neely.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

25 years? Wellsince you said players or coach I'll cheat a little to get one guy on there.

so Bourque, O'Reily,Neely and Thomas.

for all-time I'd go wth Schmidt, Orr, Bourque and Art Ross.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

25 years:

Neely, Middleton, O'Reily, Thomas.

History:

Orr, Shore, Neely, Thomas.  Those guys, for me, epitomize what being a Boston Bruin means.

Boston Bruins history is RIDDLED with absolutely amazing players.  I dont think you could make 5 "Bruins Rushmores" and get everyone on there who was deserving.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Mt. Rushmore : Shore and Schmidt before Neely.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

You are probably right Nas.  They were both great players who were on Stanley Cup winning teams.  It is just during my days of watching the Bruins - from the early 70's, nobody epitomizes the Bruins more than Neely.  O'Reilly was the protypical Bruin but Neely went one better with his ability to do the things the Tasmanian Devil did while potting 50 goals 4 times.  Unfortunately he couldn't help the Bruins bring home the Cup which was partially due to going up against teams led by Gretzky, Messier and Lemieux as well as the cheapness of Harry Sinden (Jacobs) who was unwilling to pay the money needed to get the Bruins a real 2nd line.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Mt. Rushmore : Shore and Schmidt before Neely.

Sorry that was 3 times Neely scored 50.  I was thinking of his 4 end of year all star selections.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

25 Years:

Neely, Bourque, Chara, Thomas

All time:

Orr, Schmidt, Shore, Tiny Thompson

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I have him on ignore, but was wondering if bruins8 put Kessel in his top 4?
    Come to think of it, who would make your top 4 Bruin players, that were actually drafted by Boston, and played on the team?
    Off the top of my head...
    Ray Bourque...Terry O'Reilly...Joe Thornton...Phil Kessel
    Also, an honourable mention to Gord Kluzak, who, if he had two working knees, may have been the best of them all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Joe Thornton
    Phill Kessel
    Martin Lapointe
    Kevin Stevens

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

OK, not being one of 'you guys', I don't get the lack of love for Espo.  What gives?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]OK, not being one of 'you guys', I don't get the lack of love for Espo.  What gives?

"I could give one damn about Boston," Phil Esposito told Fox 13 Sports. "I don't care about Boston. I got traded from Boston and ended up in New York [Ranger]. Tampa Bay is my home. The Lightning are like my child. I gave birth to it. It took everything I had physically and probably mentally left to get it. Boston I could care less. I hope we smoke them, to tell you the truth."

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/sports/nhl/lightning/phil-esposito-boston-bruins-legend-but-not-a-fan-05112011

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]OK, not being one of 'you guys', I don't get the lack of love for Espo.  What gives?

49 - He doesn't fit into the 25 year window.  It appears he's distanced himself from the Bruin fold.  I think I read quotes attributed to him stating his support for the Lightning during their series against the Bruins because he was integral in bringing the franchise to Tampa. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Didn't see NAS' post.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Mt. Rushmore : "I could give one damn about Boston," Phil Esposito told Fox 13 Sports. "I don't care about Boston. I got traded from Boston and ended up in New York [Ranger]. Tampa Bay is my home. The Lightning are like my child. I gave birth to it. It took everything I had physically and probably mentally left to get it. Boston I could care less. I hope we smoke them, to tell you the truth." http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/sports/nhl/lightning/phil-esposito-boston-bruins-legend-but-not-a-fan-05112011

Obnoxious comments to be sure but there's no getting around the fact that he was a spectacular player for the B's in his hey-day and you could argue they don't win those Cups in '70/'72 w/out him.

as important as Orr or Bucyk or Cheevers? No way. But his offensive numbers were astonishing and he was a scoring machine.

He was helped immensely by the grinding wingers who did a lot of the hard work for him, but he was an essential element of the Big Bad B's of the early '70's.

I don't have him on my farther back than 25-year Rushmore, however. Schmidt, Shore, Orr and Tiny Thompson beat him out for sure.

Sections
Shortcuts