Bruins need to sign Stamkos and Doughty!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Bruins need to sign Stamkos and Doughty!

It's the only way we will ever win the Stanley Cup!  A Crosby-like $8.7 mil each should do it.  We have cap space, we need to spend it!  We don't need the 8 first round draft picks.  Then next year we can do the same thing and sign Matt Duchene and Tyler Myers.  I see no reason to stop at that as well, I think every year we should go after the best, highest-paid player available, otherwise the off season is boring.  It doesn't matter if we win the Cup or not, we need to go after every star player!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Bruins need to sign Stamkos and Doughty!

What about Shea Weber ? Money mouth

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Let's not get crazy Sandog, this is a cap system you know.

In Response to Re: Bruins need to sign Stamkos and Doughty!:
    What about Shea Weber ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Don't forget about Weber, he'll round out our top 4 pairings quite nicely.

Chara-Weber
    Doughty-Seidenberg
    Hamilton-Myers

Looks good OC !

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I was also thinking the Bruins should sign every player that wears 91.  Stamkos, Richards, Taveres (offer sheet next year), Paajarvi (the year after that) and trade for Gomez.  If Savard comes back healthy (which I'm sure he will), we will be unstoppable.  Our forward lines:

91-91-91
    91-91-91
    63-37-19
    17-46-22

I like Thornton in there for toughness to protect our 91's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Imagine Chara and Myers together. Thats better than Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson. Twin Towers on D!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Why even start a thread like this? You know some people on here will take it seriously.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Good points OC, don't forget they could use some goaltending help too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Why even start a thread like this? You know some people on here will take it seriously.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

Wait, he was being facetious? Dam, I wish I hadn't already ordered my Bruins Stamkos jersey.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

I was also thinking the Bruins should sign every player that wears 91. 

Our forward lines:

91-91-91
    91-91-91
    63-37-19
    17-46-22

Posted by OatesCam

BWAHAHAHAHAHA, funniest thing I've seen on here in a long time!  Well done, sir!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Why?  Because it's Thursday.  I have 3 more days until I'm outside listening to Toby Keith drinking Miller Chills.  I'm in my office and hating it with the sun exploding out there.  I think we all need some entertainement.

Posted by jpBsSoxFan

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

I wish Oatescam was the GM.  Adding Stamkos and Doughty, the best offensive and defensive player in the leauge would be nice! LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Oh that's just the begining.  I would also trade for a top-5 pick every June and deal picks, Ryan Spooner and Zach Hammill every trade deadline for a player that other teams would never want to give up.  But I would make them.  This would be one exciting team to follow!

I wish Oatescam was the GM.  Adding Stamkos and Doughty, the best offensive and defensive player in the leauge would be nice! LOL
    Posted by bluefox70

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

I think I'm okay with this. In fact, I REALLY like the idea of having all those 91s so much so that I'm suggesting the Bruins give every player on the team 91. We'll still be able to tell them apart. Isn't that why they have their names on the back? And Chara is the really tall one, so he'll be easy to spot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Why?  Because it's Thursday.  I have 3 more days until I'm outside listening to Toby Keith drinking Miller Chills.  I'm in my office and hating it with the sun exploding out there.  I think we all need some entertainement. In Response to Re: Bruins need to sign Stamkos and Doughty! :
    Posted by OatesCam

Oates, I'm not a big fan of Toby or Miller chills but the Island should be a great time this weekend(skin-filled). I wish I was going too but I have to run the shop as my boss is going to Boston.Have a good time. I hope none of these wanna-be GM's trade away the team while your gone....

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I agree totally.  If a player is good it doesn't matter what you give up, how much they cost, what you already have or what players you would have to give up because of the cap.  Draft picks, shmaft picks.  Just sign stars.  If there's one team that has shown this works, it's the league's lone perennial contender for the last two decades, the Detroit Red Wings.  They make offer sheets all the time and don't draft and cultivate their own talent or ensure that they have enough cap space to sign their own stars like Datsyuk and Zetterberg at home town discounts.  They also have never signed bargain free agents.  Oh wait, maybe they do the opposite of this... whatever, I want stars!

In Response to Re: Bruins need to sign Stamkos and Doughty! : I lol'd at this.  But seriously, OatesCam, you overrate draft picks.  The Bruins can trade for one player.  That's all I'm saying.  One player.  Toronto trading for Kessel would have worked out great for them if Kessel wasn't a punk and their team didn't suck.  They picked the wrong guy. If we trade for one of the players who has been brought up here.  Or even go the offer sheet route and pay $7.8 mil., we have made a good move.  Why?  Because these players are actually good.  And our team is good.
    Posted by mattc355

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

haha, I feel confident that PC will keep things under control.  Mmmm... beer, beach and bikini.

In Response to Re: Bruins need to sign Stamkos and Doughty! : Oates, I'm not a big fan of Toby or Miller chills but the Island should be a great time this weekend(skin-filled). I wish I was going too but I have to run the shop as my boss is going to Boston.Have a good time. I hope none of these wanna-be GM's trade away the team while your gone....
    Posted by dezaruchi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Man OC I want what your smoking!  Puff puff give brother =P

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yeah I guess we do it up and worry about the consequences later.  We've seen Chara and Bergeron set the stage and sign modest deals.  The double standard of signing Doughty to a bloated contract shouldn't affect their feelings or the team culture that it's winning before big money.  We should have no problem convincing DK to sign for less since it's the Bruins thing to do.  Except for Drew.  Drew is special.

In Response to Re: Bruins need to sign Stamkos and Doughty! : Maybe this is the case.  Good for Detroit.  The thing is I think we can do both things.  We have young talent.  And even though we will be giving away 1st round picks with an offer sheet, we will still have 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounders we could cultivate into players.  Just because we sign Doughty to a huge contract, doesn't mean it won't be him who we eventually trade.  The core of this team is not at risk, unless they play poorly.
    Posted by mattc355

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I've got plenty to share!  I'll also send you an autographed #91 John Tavares Bruins jersey for you.  It will be great next year when we sign him to an offer sheet.

Man OC I want what your smoking!  Puff puff give brother =P
    Posted by LB34

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Sounds good.  Another option would be to bring in a guy like Joe Corvo who had absolutely identical points totals last year to provide offence.  Continue using Chara in the role of shut down, since he seems good at that and we're already paying him big bucks to do it.  We then save 6 mill in cap space and 4 first round draft picks.  Not very sexy though.  I like sexy!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

You can have two shutdown pairs but do you need them?  You want a solid D pair to shut down the other team's top line.  After that, the talent drops and you don't need someone that good.  A Ference-Boychuck does just fine.  For the third pair, they practically never play against offensive threats (hence a McQuaid +30 or whatever he was) so all you want is someone decent, preferably with some scoring skill (Corvo = Perfect)  Sure, you can throw Doughty in there, but since we don't need his stellar D to match second and third lines, why not just have cheaper players that can score just as well.  There's also only so much ice time, Chara and Sides take up 60 D minutes between them, leaving only 60 minutes for the other 4.  Do we give another 30 to Doughty?  The rest can get 10 each.  Save the money so you can sign Krejci, and eventually Seguin and maybe make moves at the deadline.  Save the picks so you can have a good flow of talent when the Ryders and Peverleys and Kellys leave for more money.  We have also seen what can happen when you are against the cap.  Teams can target you for an offer sheet and force your hand (Kessel?).  I don't want that to happen with DK.  Plus, the collective bargaining agreement is up.  Perhaps the cap situation will get worse next year, not better.  The bottom line is in a cap system it's almost never good to pay a premium to get a player.  In the NHL, it has yet to work out where signing an RFA was a good idea.  Giving up cap space AND picks is just crazy.  If you are going to sign a FA, at least go for a UFA.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I saw the title and I thought I was on a leaf's website.  lmao

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

In Response to Bruins need to sign Stamkos and Doughty!:
    It's the only way we will ever win the Stanley Cup!  A Crosby-like $8.7 mil each should do it.  We have cap space, we need to spend it!  We don't need the 8 first round draft picks.  Then next year we can do the same thing and sign Matt Duchene and Tyler Myers.  I see no reason to stop at that as well, I think every year we should go after the best, highest-paid player available, otherwise the off season is boring.  It doesn't matter if we win the Cup or not, we need to go after every star player!!
    Posted by OatesCam

LOL, Didnt we just win the Cup?? Didnt we do it without Stamkos and Doughty??? If you sign both of them to $8 million for 4 or 5 years who do you let go?? Chara, Bergeron, Thomas, Lucic, Krejci??? Sorry I rather have these guys then those 2.

Sections
Shortcuts