Bruins nixed Polar Bears?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Bruins nixed Polar Bears?

Just listening to radio out here and there were allegedly three other names considered for Winnipeg - Moose, Polar Bears, and Falcons. Allegedly there were intellectual property problems with both the Falcons and Polar Bears, with the opposition to the Bears coming from the Bruins.

So in that case thanks Boston - I didn't like that name.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Bruins nixed Polar Bears?

In Response to Bruins nixed Polar Bears?:
    Just listening to radio out here and there were allegedly three other names considered for Winnipeg - Moose, Polar Bears, and Falcons. Allegedly there were intellectual property problems with both the Falcons and Polar Bears, with the opposition to the Bears coming from the Bruins. So in that case thanks Boston - I didn't like that name.
    Posted by red75

The league should only 1 team per animal(at least where bears are concernedWink). That said, there sure are alot of birds in the league. One less now that the Thrashers are done. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins nixed Polar Bears?:
    In Response to Bruins nixed Polar Bears? : The league should only 1 team per animal(at least where bears are concerned ). That said, there sure are alot of birds in the league. One less now that the Thrashers are done. 
    Posted by dezaruchi

Well a Jet is another kind of "bird." ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

bird is a stupid military term used for jets. makes them feel more special. the idiot kid next door to me opted to go into the armed forces to avoid jail time..Now he's the officer and i'm the civilian...nice

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Wow, this thread went in a weird turn prety quickly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I can't wait for Sharks and Jets.  Just like West side story, it will be a bunch of guys who are reasonably athletically fit dancing around and simulating violence upon each other with no real damage done.

The song just jumps right into my head...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8R9GiLImSw

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

bird is a stupid military term used for jets. makes them feel more special. the idiot kid next door to me opted to go into the armed forces to avoid jail time..Now he's the officer and i'm the civilian...nice
    Posted by kelvana33

Nice to see not everyone supports the troops.....   Avoid Jail time?.... REALLY?  Or is that just what you "Believe" to be the truth.  Last I checked (and did the job for 22+ years) the volunteer military did not allow the courts to assign him to the military instead of jail.  Oh and if there were an outstanding charge (as of 2006) the recruiter could not process him to enter.  I understand that you dislike this "IDIOT" but above all remember it is people like him that defend your right to be an arrogant sphincter.
    Furthermore, being a civillian is the "Right" Position for you.... and No I do not want to upsize my fries.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins nixed Polar Bears? : Nice to see not everyone supports the troops.....   Avoid Jail time?.... REALLY?  Or is that just what you "Believe" to be the truth.  Last I checked (and did the job for 22+ years) the volunteer military did not allow the courts to assign him to the military instead of jail.  Oh and if there were an outstanding charge (as of 2006) the recruiter could not process him to enter.  I understand that you dislike this "IDIOT" but above all remember it is people like him that defend your right to be an arrogant sphincter. Furthermore, being a civillian is the "Right" Position for you.... and No I do not want to upsize my fries.
    Posted by FenwayChuck

go easy. 
    Is he talking US or Canadian military?
    And did this idiot want to skip town before the cops caught up to him and couldn't afford bus fare?
    I know a reasonable number of military. 
    And I can tell you that a fair number of them are idiots and game the system.
    I know a reasonable number of people in the software business.
    And I can tell you that a fair number of them are idiots and game the system.
    There are at least a few idiots on this board.
    I think there are a lot of idiots to go around and they find their way into all kinds of places like political offices or GM of the Dallas Stars.

The "Polar Bears"?

Would the logo look something like the coca cola bear?  The eskimo pie?

Seriously, the "Polar Bears", that's like the name of the jr. high school girls ski team or something.

What further proof of idiots do you need?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins nixed Polar Bears? : Nice to see not everyone supports the troops.....   Avoid Jail time?.... REALLY?  Or is that just what you "Believe" to be the truth.  Last I checked (and did the job for 22+ years) the volunteer military did not allow the courts to assign him to the military instead of jail.  Oh and if there were an outstanding charge (as of 2006) the recruiter could not process him to enter.  I understand that you dislike this "IDIOT" but above all remember it is people like him that defend your right to be an arrogant sphincter. Furthermore, being a civillian is the "Right" Position for you.... and No I do not want to upsize my fries.
    Posted by FenwayChuck

Thank you for your service, Chuck and you were right to question that post.

How a thread about the Winnipeg Jets team-name/mascot becomes a slam on the military is beyond me?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

bird is a stupid military term used for jets. makes them feel more special. Posted by kelvana33

I was in a Navy Squadron for 3 years and learned quickly that military pilots have called Jets "Birds" for a very long time. What in the Heck does that have to do with this thread and/or your neighbor ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

cmon kelvana....don't be like that

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Back on point, would it surprise you if true, that the Bruins used their weight to nix the Bears? Would it really have had any marketing impact on the B's?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Back on point, would it surprise you if true, that the Bruins used their weight to nix the Bears? Would it really have had any marketing impact on the B's?
    Posted by red75

red - I doubt the name would cut into Bruin revenues.  It's not like in years past when the then 9 team CFL had 2 teams with the same nickname but different spellings as in Rough Riders and Roughriders.  Even then there was no confusion as to who was whom.  St. Louis once had the Cardinals of the NFL, too didn't they?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by red75

They tried to stop the Penguins from switching to black and yellow many years back.  I guess the B's want to be the only bear.  I can understand it.  There are a lot of animals out there and a million other viable names.  Just pick another.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins nixed Polar Bears? : They tried to stop the Penguins from switching to black and yellow many years back.  Posted by Not-A-Shot

I think Sinden's words at the time were something to the effect of "We look like we're playing ourselves."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins nixed Polar Bears? : go easy.  Is he talking US or Canadian military? And did this idiot want to skip town before the cops caught up to him and couldn't afford bus fare? I know a reasonable number of military.  And I can tell you that a fair number of them are idiots and game the system. I know a reasonable number of people in the software business. And I can tell you that a fair number of them are idiots and game the system. There are at least a few idiots on this board. I think there are a lot of idiots to go around and they find their way into all kinds of places like political offices or GM of the Dallas Stars. The "Polar Bears"? Would the logo look something like the coca cola bear?  The eskimo pie? Seriously, the "Polar Bears", that's like the name of the jr. high school girls ski team or something. What further proof of idiots do you need?
    Posted by BadHabitude

My selection for LINE OF THE DAY...
    I think there are a lot of idiots to go around and they find their way into all kinds of places like political offices or GM of the Dallas Stars.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins nixed Polar Bears? : Thank you for your service, Chuck and you were right to question that post. How a thread about the Winnipeg Jets team-name/mascot becomes a slam on the military is beyond me?
    Posted by Crowls2424

I cannot tell you how many looks I get when I drive through IL/IND with Patriots/Red Sox and Bruins emblems on my car (8" size nonetheless).... LOL

POLAR BEARS?.... I don't truly know why the bruins would not want that, unless they were afraid that the team mascot would be doing something related to being the only true ICE Bear.... since that relates to hockey.....  WHO KNOWS....  Maybe it is just that they do not like the word POLAR.....I wonder what colors the Polar Bears would have used?...  and what on earth would that emblem look like?.... LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins nixed Polar Bears? :  I cannot tell you how many looks I get when I drive through IL/IND with Patriots/Red Sox and Bruins emblems on my car (8" size nonetheless).... Posted by FenwayChuck

My Illinois license plate says "SOX WIN-4."  Everyone thinks it's for the White Sox. Uh, no. I used to have a Red Sox World Champions license plate frame to help them, but I replaced it with a BOSTON BRUINS 2011 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS frame last week.  hee, hee.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins nixed Polar Bears? : My Illinois license plate says "SOX WIN-4."  Everyone thinks it's for the White Sox. Uh, no. I used to have a Red Sox World Champions license plate frame to help them, but I replaced it with a BOSTON BRUINS 2011 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS frame last week.  hee, hee.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Sweet!
    Always time for change!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

I don't think that name would go over big in Chicago. Groups of black kids go "polar bear" hunting .They go and find white kids and beat them. There were four white people beaten about three weeks ago two were killed. So I don't think this would go over big in Chicago

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats5402. Show Pats5402's posts

You do know how ever that a Polar Bear would distory any other type of bear in a fight? The only other bear that would have a fighting chance would be a glizzly.... So even if the name sounds bad the animal it self is one of the most bad a.s.s animals in the world.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Bruins nixed Polar Bears?:
    Just listening to radio out here and there were allegedly three other names considered for Winnipeg - Moose, Polar Bears, and Falcons. Allegedly there were intellectual property problems with both the Falcons and Polar Bears, with the opposition to the Bears coming from the Bruins. So in that case thanks Boston - I didn't like that name.
    Posted by red75

I think they should have gone with "Winnipeg Wanderers"....cuz, y'know, they "wandered" from Winnipeg to Atlanta and back again....also dig the alliteration, and it would be a bit of a swipe at the original "Montreal Wanderers" from back in the day (I think the Mtl. Wanderers were the very first Stanley Cup champs, unless I'm off--1897--anyone know?)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins nixed Polar Bears? : red - I doubt the name would cut into Bruin revenues.  It's not like in years past when the then 9 team CFL had 2 teams with the same nickname but different spellings as in Rough Riders and Roughriders.  Even then there was no confusion as to who was whom.  St. Louis once had the Cardinals of the NFL, too didn't they?
    Posted by RichHillOntario

Yes they did, but that was only AFTER the Chicago Cardinals had moved to St. Louis.  Speaking of similar team nickname confusion, that's also the reason the then new pro foootball team in NY was referred to as "the New York Football Giants", so as to differentiate it from the already well established NL baseball team by the same name.

And yes, Harry Sinden was livid when the NHL allowed the Penguins to adopt black and gold as their colors and who in Boston could blame him?  It was done to mimic the colors of those fabulous 1970's Steelers football teams in hopes of selling more tickets for the then struggling franchise.  Black, gold and white are the colors of the type of penguins featured in the (2007?) movie whose name escapes me - were they "marathon" penguins?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins nixed Polar Bears? :  I cannot tell you how many looks I get when I drive through IL/IND with Patriots/Red Sox and Bruins emblems on my car (8" size nonetheless).... LOL POLAR BEARS?.... I don't truly know why the bruins would not want that, unless they were afraid that the team mascot would be doing something related to being the only true ICE Bear.... since that relates to hockey.....  WHO KNOWS....  Maybe it is just that they do not like the word POLAR.....I wonder what colors the Polar Bears would have used?...  and what on earth would that emblem look like?.... LOL
    Posted by FenwayChuck

Prob something like this....  minus the sunglasses.

This was a ML hockey team we had here in Orlando...  gone now though.  Hockey goes over real well in the state of Florida...  LOL!!

Sections
Shortcuts