Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand???

From Rotoworld:

There has not been much progress in negotiations between Brad Marchand and the Boston Bruins.

Marchand is looking for a contract extension but the Bruins appear unwilling to budge. It appears unlikely a deal will be reached this offseason so Marchand will have to show the Bruins what he has got. Tyler Ennis will be in a similar situation next year so he should be watching carefully

Really????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand???

How can he "show the Bruins what he has got" if he is not under contract? Is he allowed to participate in training camp as an unsigned RFA? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Ya know. I was told by a co-worker whose a big B's fan & is friends with McQuaids family. He said he was told that there's very few guys on the team that liked Marchand. I'm wondering now if this maybe an actual fact. As per normal I'll wait until I hear something from Dreger, or Mckenzie before I make my mind up if it's true or not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

this post was clearly meant to stir the pot. it makes no sense, "he'll have to show the bruins what hes got?" but there won't be an extension? thats not really possible

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand???:
    [QUOTE]this post was clearly meant to stir the pot. it makes no sense, "he'll have to show the bruins what hes got?" but there won't be an extension? thats not really possible
    Posted by juniorfalcon19[/QUOTE]

I cut and pasted the article word-for-word from Rotoworld. dot.com.  Go there yourself and check it.  They actually used Boston.com as their source, but I dont see it.

How am I meaning to "stir the pot?"

I posted it because it causes me to wonder whats going on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

posting stuff from eklund is stiring the pot. posting stuff that is just so blatantly untrue and from a non credible source is stiring the pot. your intentions may have been fine, but it is what it is

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I dont know what you are talking about.  Posting an article from Rotoworld has nothing to do with stirring the pot. Making stuff up is stirring the pot.  There's nothing not credible about Rotoworld as a source- the Globe uses them for Red Sox news every day.

Here's the Boston.com article:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2011/08/21/video_gives_new_looks_to_scouting_coaching/?page=full

Here's the nugget from Boston.com where its referenced:

Follow the leader
    Only crickets are being heard on the Brad Marchand front, with neither side amenable to disclosing information regarding negotiations. Whatever the final agreement will be, it’s a given that the Sabres and Tyler Ennis will have Marchand’s new deal in mind at the end of 2011-12. Ennis, the No. 26 pick of the 2008 draft, will be in Marchand’s position in one year: restricted with no arbitration rights. Through his first two pro seasons, Ennis has been a Marchand comparable. In 2009-10, Ennis, as a first-year pro, had three goals and six assists in 10 NHL games. Last year, Ennis punched in 20 goals and 29 assists for 49 points, 8 more than Marchand (21-20-41). If Ennis submits even better numbers this year, the undersized Buffalo forward could be looking at a premium on whatever Marchand scores from the Bruins.

Not seeing what Rotoworld is talking about...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

Why would you post something that makes no sence no matter what the sorce
    is. He does not have a contract period. He can not do anything until he has a contract.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapaBear72. Show BigPapaBear72's posts

Maybe Brad's got an attitude problem, who knows? I think it's worth posting at this point. If he was a priority for the Bruins then surely they would have signed him by now...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbruin4. Show mrbruin4's posts

delay is  2 pronged        Marchand wants high $$ and long term
    bruins want shorter term    smaller $$   =   GOOD BUSINESS FOR BOTH SIDES

He will be a bruin...bank on it

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand???:
    [QUOTE]From Rotoworld: There has not been much progress in negotiations between Brad Marchand and the Boston Bruins. Marchand is looking for a contract extension but the Bruins appear unwilling to budge. It appears unlikely a deal will be reached this offseason so Marchand will have to show the Bruins what he has got. Tyler Ennis will be in a similar situation next year so he should be watching carefully Really????
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

SoxF,

I think this article has parts correct but has completely butchered the delivery.  Brad wants a 4+ year deal and Boston doesnt want to give that.  Thats what it should say.  Instead they are leaving a lot of room for people to be misguided. 
    I just spoke to my boss who coached Brad growing up and is a friend of the family.  He told me saturday that Brad wants a longer term than the Bruins wanna give at this point. 

A deal will get done.  But probably a 3 year deal. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

I hope PC sticks to his guns on not giving out LT contracts - except to HIGHLY proven commodities.  I love Marchy as much as the next fan, but four years is too long (except if the price tag was very small).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[edited to fix nonsense in second paragraph]

The Rotoworld wording is amateurish or the writer misunderstands his Globe source.  Marchand is not negotiating an extension.  He does not have a contract to extend.  What I think they're trying to say is exactly what shupe says - Marchand wants to extend the term of the deal they're negotiating, but the Bruins want to keep it short.  Ennis would be negotiating and extension because he has a year left on his deal - and if they wanted to, the Sabres could open that negotiation seconds after Marchand signs.  This is not hard.  Butchered delivery indeed.

The argument over term isn't rocket science either  (though I wonder if they have a reasonable window on the dollars yet).  If the current CBA provisions continue in the next deal, players are UFA at 27.  Marchand's 23, 24 at the end of next year.  The Bruins probably want a two year deal but would probably accept a 3 year deal.  That would put them in the same boat as they'll be with Krejci and Rask - negotiating with RFAs with one year to UFA, so knowing that a deal will be buying UFA years.

When you do this, you have a buffer against the player's demands being too high.  If you can't reach a decent deal, give a one year deal and plan around losing the player either by trade FA loss.  It's the planning that's key, not even what you get in return for a pending UFA.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Obviously, from these posts, roto whatever is dense and misinformed. I tend to like Shupe's insight. Marchand's agent was tied up with other signings [Weber] and agreed with PC to wait a bit. He wants 4, Bruins may have countered with 2, and they might settle on 3. PC is rather astute in CAP and future impacts, so the deal will be rewarding, but not all that Marchand's agent wants, particularly since it will straddle the new, but unknown NHL agreement.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

That Rotoworld posting has been taken down at replaced with this one this morning:

Contract negotiations between RFA Brad Marchand and the Boston Bruins have been uneventful this summer.

Both sides have remained mum about disclosing information, so it's unclear where the sides stand heading into training camp. Marchand is coming off an excellent year for the Bruins and is likely seeking a significant pay raise from the $600,000 he made before bonuses. Stay tuned.
    Aug 22, 7:55

It seems whomever was working the ticker late last night was an intern or something. (lol) It was terribly worded and misleading.  They specialize in trolling all the news outlets for info in all 4 sports, but are often in a hurry to be first.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

wow that new post is enlightening. cough cough

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I agree with BB on this one. A 3-year deal would be acceptable to both player and team given the CBA rules. It'll get done.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]That Rotoworld posting has been taken down at replaced with this one this morning: Contract negotiations between RFA Brad Marchand and the Boston Bruins have been uneventful this summer. Both sides have remained mum about disclosing information, so it's unclear where the sides stand heading into training camp. Marchand is coming off an excellent year for the Bruins and is likely seeking a significant pay raise from the $600,000 he made before bonuses. Stay tuned. Source: Boston Globe Aug 22, 7:55 It seems whomever was working the ticker late last night was an intern or something. (lol) It was terribly worded and misleading.  They specialize in trolling all the news outlets for info in all 4 sports, but are often in a hurry to be first.
    Gotta Love it eh Sox? Try to be the 1st one to post news. Whether it's inaccurate or not. It was still news! Yet when the peeps don't like what they're reading they wanna hang you for posting it! Somebody out there would've posted it. The other thing. There's a lot more to this story than Marchand wanting a 4yr deal & the agent was busy with Weber. Weber's been signed for weeks. I won't say what I think; because it's speculation & I don't wanna "stir the pot" but I think there's more to this story than just the longevity of the deal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : Gotta Love it eh Sox? Try to be the 1st one to post news. Whether it's inaccurate or not. It was still news! Yet when the peeps don't like what they're reading they wanna hang you for posting it! Somebody out there would've posted it. The other thing. There's a lot more to this story than Marchand wanting a 4yr deal & the agent was busy with Weber. Weber's been signed for weeks. I won't say what I think; because it's speculation & I don't wanna "stir the pot" but I think there's more to this story than just the longevity of the deal.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

posting an article that is obviously misguided and incorrect is stiring the pot

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dangr76. Show dangr76's posts

Could be waiting to see what Savard's cap status is.  That might determine what they have for money to give to Marchand.  I think its obviousl Savard won't be back this year or at least to start they year so maybe this has something to do with the wait. 

But hey, if a co-workers friend of a friend who has a friend that has a friend and is friends with one of his friends that is friend's with someone that knows McQuaid then the rumor about the team hating him must be true.  lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

I think it's pretty likely the Bruins are offering a 1 year deal, as they seem to have set themselves up with the contracts expiring WITH the CBA, so that PC can negotiate from a position of strength, especially if (as some have predicted) the cap were to come down. I'm sure he'd like to keep Marchand... if it didn't handicap his ability to then sign Krejci, etc.
    Furthermore, with him being an RFA and without arbitration rights, he really is in a "take it or leave it" situation. The only thing that could help him is if another team dropped an offer sheet on him. This obviously hasn't happened, and won't because if the teams offer him normal money, the Bruins will match, and if they offer him too much money, then they're overpaying AND giving up prospects for a guy who's scored 21 goals ONCE and could be in store for a sophomore slump AND cup hangover.
    Are the Bruins a better team with Marchand? Sure. Could they get by and have a great season without him?
    LUCIC--KREJCI--HORTON
    PEVERLY--BERGERON--SEGUIN
    CARON--KELLY--POULIOT
    PAILLE--CAMPBELL--THORNTON
    ...Yup.
    SOOOOO this thing will end when Brad decides he'd rather not sit out a season and give up $2M or whatever the offer is just to prove a point about the longer term. He'll cash in on the next one, when he has more leverage.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Marchand is looking to cash in after a good year and great playoff run.  Why wouldn't he?  The B's are trying to not overspend on a 23 yr old player that has ONE quality season under his belt.  Makes sense.  That said, a one year deal would seem to work best for both.  The B's give Marchand a nice raise but don't give him years and dollars until he proves it again for a second year.  If Marchand remains a 2nd line player and posts let's say 25-30-55pts next year while continuing is agitating then he should be in line for a multi-year deal as a RFA.  He will be signed by training camp and not miss time.  As far as this rumor that he is not liked on the team, this will never be truely verified until he is no longer with the team so I wouldn't worry much about that.  He is young and immature but over time this will resolve itself.  No need to keep beating this one Marchand will be back! 

Next topic...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : posting an article that is obviously misguided and incorrect is stiring the pot
    Posted by juniorfalcon19[/QUOTE]
    How do YOU know it's misguided though? Putting reference to an article that is ACTUALLY out there. Doesn't mean you're stirring the pot. Stiring the pot would be if he was continually bringing up the article & claiming it to be gospel. Kanes- Nutbar & Cockless Tony are ones who STIR THE POT on topics!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]That Rotoworld posting has been taken down at replaced with this one this morning: Contract negotiations between RFA Brad Marchand and the Boston Bruins have been uneventful this summer. Both sides have remained mum about disclosing information, so it's unclear where the sides stand heading into training camp. Marchand is coming off an excellent year for the Bruins and is likely seeking a significant pay raise from the $600,000 he made before bonuses. Stay tuned. Source: Boston Globe Aug 22, 7:55 It seems whomever was working the ticker late last night was an intern or something. (lol) It was terribly worded and misleading.  They specialize in trolling all the news outlets for info in all 4 sports, but are often in a hurry to be first.
       Thanks SoxFan, for posting articles that you come across.
    The sharing of information like this, is why I visit this board. No one should ever have to apologise for sharing articles they have found (unless it's from Eklund).
    Whether I agree or disagree with an article, I will always appreciate that I was given the opportunity to read it.
    Thanks, again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]I think it's pretty likely the Bruins are offering a 1 year deal, as they seem to have set themselves up with the contracts expiring WITH the CBA, so that PC can negotiate from a position of strength, especially if (as some have predicted) the cap were to come down. I'm sure he'd like to keep Marchand... if it didn't handicap his ability to then sign Krejci, etc. Furthermore, with him being an RFA and without arbitration rights, he really is in a "take it or leave it" situation. The only thing that could help him is if another team dropped an offer sheet on him. This obviously hasn't happened, and won't because if the teams offer him normal money, the Bruins will match, and if they offer him too much money, then they're overpaying AND giving up prospects for a guy who's scored 21 goals ONCE and could be in store for a sophomore slump AND cup hangover. Are the Bruins a better team with Marchand? Sure. Could they get by and have a great season without him? LUCIC--KREJCI--HORTON PEVERLY--BERGERON--SEGUIN CARON--KELLY--POULIOT PAILLE--CAMPBELL--THORNTON ...Yup. SOOOOO this thing will end when Brad decides he'd rather not sit out a season and give up $2M or whatever the offer is just to prove a point about the longer term. He'll cash in on the next one, when he has more leverage.
    Posted by Tommy617[/QUOTE]

This is a great post, noting the number of contracts coming up with the CBA, PC could be selling a "if we go over 1 year we expect the cap to come down" we need to fit your player under that...

Then again there is always the risk that unsigned players become free agents etc..

Sections
Shortcuts