Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 54BLITZER. Show 54BLITZER's posts

Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand???

NObody seems to be picking up on the fact that MARCHAND'S AGENT IS KESSEL'S AGENT FROM TWO YEARS AGO!!! Does anybody really believe that this is a peacful negotiation w/no old bad blood from other situations!!! MARCHAND PROBABLY NEEDS TO FIRE HIS AGENT TO GET A DEAL DONE!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqIiy94Wj58&feature=digest

I wonder if Marchand's agent plays fim this video ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand???:
    NObody seems to be picking up on the fact that MARCHAND'S AGENT IS KESSEL'S AGENT FROM TWO YEARS AGO!!! Does anybody really believe that this is a peacful negotiation w/no old bad blood from other situations!!! MARCHAND PROBABLY NEEDS TO FIRE HIS AGENT TO GET A DEAL DONE!!!
    Posted by 54BLITZER

Kessel's agent has no reason to be upset, he got what he wanted in the end, a big contract and out of boston..

Marchand and the bruisn have publically said time and time again a deal will get done.. In the case with Kessel, he came out and said they were done negoitiation with the bruins.. Kessel actually had a lot more leverage then marchand does in this case as well..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I think juniorfalcon needs to take a chill pill. He didn't stir the pot by posting an article he found.  He was bringing it to attention to see if anyone knew anything about it.

You calling him out for "stirring the pot" is in fact stirring the pot and causing a senseless argument thats diluting this topic.

So back to the topic at hand.

I hope a deal gets done that has Marchand on the B's for awhile. I would not want to have the Bruins play AGAINST him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The whole Wade Arnott angle is overblown.  There's no parallel to the Kessel situation.  If Chiapete had any bad blood about the Kessel negotiation, it would have been with Brian Burke...but why?

If a GM can't maintain a working relationship with an agent just because the agent pushed for a better deal for his client?  He should retire.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

The whole Wade Arnott angle is overblown.  There's no parallel to the Kessel situation.  If Chiapete had any bad blood about the Kessel negotiation, it would have been with Brian Burke...but why? If a GM can't maintain a working relationship with an agent just because the agent pushed for a better deal for his client?  He should retire.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Saweeeet post BB!! To add a little more. Wasn't PC a lawyer before a GM? I think he understands about going all out for a client. No?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I think it's pretty likely the Bruins are offering a 1 year deal, as they seem to have set themselves up with the contracts expiring WITH the CBA, so that PC can negotiate from a position of strength, especially if (as some have predicted) the cap were to come down. I'm sure he'd like to keep Marchand... if it didn't handicap his ability to then sign Krejci, etc. Furthermore, with him being an RFA and without arbitration rights, he really is in a "take it or leave it" situation. The only thing that could help him is if another team dropped an offer sheet on him. This obviously hasn't happened, and won't because if the teams offer him normal money, the Bruins will match, and if they offer him too much money, then they're overpaying AND giving up prospects for a guy who's scored 21 goals ONCE and could be in store for a sophomore slump AND cup hangover. Are the Bruins a better team with Marchand? Sure. Could they get by and have a great season without him? LUCIC--KREJCI--HORTON PEVERLY--BERGERON--SEGUIN CARON--KELLY--POULIOT PAILLE--CAMPBELL--THORNTON ...Yup. SOOOOO this thing will end when Brad decides he'd rather not sit out a season and give up $2M or whatever the offer is just to prove a point about the longer term. He'll cash in on the next one, when he has more leverage.
    Posted by Tommy617

Well thought out post Tommyboy! Great possibilities here!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

FYI

The Hockey News also reporting the exact same article.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Thanks for sharing sox... I just hope when camp starts there is a contract and hes with the team. I really don't hope to see another good young bruins player be traded and have the bruins and the fans start spewing garbage about them like another player that was hear recently. Say what you want about Marchands character or attitude but there is NO WAY the bruins would have won the cup without him. First cup since 1972 having a key player be a hold out and not start on time would be a less than ideal way to start the title defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from horton18. Show horton18's posts

i dont think its true at all come on now mark recchi and bergeron loved the guy coming from 2 great people... bergeron without marchy next week will put bergy a step back

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Quit stirring the pot, Ronstar.

...sorry, couldn't resist.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Quit stirring the pot, Ronstar. ...sorry, couldn't resist.
    Posted by seobrien

LOL!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

posting stuff from eklund is stiring the pot. posting stuff that is just so blatantly untrue and from a non credible source is stiring the pot. your intentions may have been fine, but it is what it is
    Posted by juniorfalcon19

Rotoworld is very credible.  Yeah, they worded that one wrong, but I've been reading those guys for 10 years for quick news on players. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I think it's pretty likely the Bruins are offering a 1 year deal, as they seem to have set themselves up with the contracts expiring WITH the CBA, so that PC can negotiate from a position of strength, especially if (as some have predicted) the cap were to come down. I'm sure he'd like to keep Marchand... if it didn't handicap his ability to then sign Krejci, etc. Furthermore, with him being an RFA and without arbitration rights, he really is in a "take it or leave it" situation. The only thing that could help him is if another team dropped an offer sheet on him. This obviously hasn't happened, and won't because if the teams offer him normal money, the Bruins will match, and if they offer him too much money, then they're overpaying AND giving up prospects for a guy who's scored 21 goals ONCE and could be in store for a sophomore slump AND cup hangover. Are the Bruins a better team with Marchand? Sure. Could they get by and have a great season without him? LUCIC--KREJCI--HORTON PEVERLY--BERGERON--SEGUIN CARON--KELLY--POULIOT PAILLE--CAMPBELL--THORNTON ...Yup. SOOOOO this thing will end when Brad decides he'd rather not sit out a season and give up $2M or whatever the offer is just to prove a point about the longer term. He'll cash in on the next one, when he has more leverage.
    Posted by Tommy617

Nice post, reality is he has had one good season, and a very excellent playoff. Pay the money if it is a short deal...like a two year contract, otherwise shop his azz.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : Nice post, reality is he has had one good season, and a very excellent playoff. Pay the money if it is a short deal...like a two year contract, otherwise shop his azz.  
    Posted by islamorada

Exactly, he's had ONE good season.  At least to me, he comes across as immature.  He has much to prove for a long term contract, I think it's a good deal not to do a long term deal now.  There is a long list of guys who made a good first impression and disappeared.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Marchand must be re-signed. His potential up side at his age is enormous. Make no mistake about how valuable he is to this team. He is a unique talent. They don't win the cup without him. He was that dynamic  -

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : Gotta Love it eh Sox? Try to be the 1st one to post news. Whether it's inaccurate or not. It was still news! Yet when the peeps don't like what they're reading they wanna hang you for posting it! Somebody out there would've posted it. The other thing. There's a lot more to this story than Marchand wanting a 4yr deal & the agent was busy with Weber. Weber's been signed for weeks. I won't say what I think; because it's speculation & I don't wanna "stir the pot" but I think there's more to this story than just the longevity of the deal.
    Posted by nitemare-38

nite is right being 1st with the new news post is a slippery slope. been there done that, with the corvo beating up guy dressed as a women turns out i was wrong and have been gun-shy since!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Marchand must be re-signed. His potential up side at his age is enormous. Make no mistake about how valuable he is to this team. He is a unique talent. They don't win the cup without him. He was that dynamic  -
    Posted by JWensink

Considering in the past I was quick to criticize your posts it's now time to start praising them. I agree that he is a must sign. He brings a needed element to this team . Tenacity to go along with his skills and being a pain-in-the-arse to play against. Good post JW.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Notwithstanding Marchy's talent and tenacity...I for one don't want to see PC hand out money like candy now  only to have to make tough decisions next year or in two years.

I like the fact that, unlike Chicago, the Bruins did not have to walk away from 11 player contracts after winning the cup !  

Now we have a legitimate chance at winning a 2nd cup .  Marchand deserves 2.5 to 3.0 million for 3 years ...Otherwise he should go the way of Kessel !

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Notwithstanding Marchy's talent and tenacity...I for one don't want to see PC hand out money like candy now  only to have to make tough decisions next year or in two years.  I like the fact that, unlike Chicago, the Bruins did not have to walk away from 11 player contracts after winning the cup !    Now we have a legitimate chance at winning a 2nd cup .  Marchand deserves 2.5 to 3.0 million for 3 years ...Otherwise he should go the way of Kessel !
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni

Good point.  Everybody was pissed when Kessel got traded saying we would never get our sniper and it was the dumbest trades ever.  The reality is that the picks we got from Kessel have stocked the farm and the money was used to sign our core players.

If we lose Marchand, hopefully we lose him to a bad team.  I for one wouldn't mind keeping a steady stream of top ten picks in for the next few years.  I like Marchand and I want him to stay, especially with his chemistry with Bergeron, but this team is deep enough to lose him and high draft picks for a contending team are rarely a bad thing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The problem I have with losing Marchand for "X" return is that the return in this case will never be as valuable to the Bruins as the player they'd lose. Kessel was a different situation...there were GMs out there willing to pay a King's ransom to land him. Add the fact that there was friction with the coach, an inability to grasp the system and Kessel's desire to leave town, and the deal was a no-brainer.

Marchand is different. Other teams in the league would obviously want to have him on their side, but I don't see a GM giving up even a fraction of what Burke gave for Kessel in some sort of rare sign-and-trade situation. We're talking base compensation for a RFA, which to me isn't enough. Marchand plays the exact game Julien wants from his players...be an agitator, responsible in your own end, fight for pucks and know your role. Add to this Marchand's stated preference to be a Bruin, his cult following among fans and the way he fits nicely into overall depth of the team.

He wants to be here...they want him here. The compensation for shipping him isn't enough. A contract should be forthcoming.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Thanks for sharing sox... I just hope when camp starts there is a contract and hes with the team. I really don't hope to see another good young bruins player be traded and have the bruins and the fans start spewing garbage about them like another player that was hear recently. Say what you want about Marchands character or attitude but there is NO WAY the bruins would have won the cup without him. First cup since 1972 having a key player be a hold out and not start on time would be a less than ideal way to start the title defense.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17

There is no way they win the cup without Thomas, without Horton, without Chara, without Krejci, without a long list of Bruins.  He contributed, but let's not get too carried away.  Versteeg contributed to Chicago's cup run and look at him now, third team since the Hawks, and landing in Florida, where 3 million looks good on the books.  That could be Marchand in two years.  Hope not, but it's a comparable.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : How do YOU know it's misguided though? Putting reference to an article that is ACTUALLY out there. Doesn't mean you're stirring the pot. Stiring the pot would be if he was continually bringing up the article & claiming it to be gospel. Kanes- Nutbar & Cockless Tony are ones who STIR THE POT on topics!
    Posted by nitemare-38

the article originally stated that marchand and the bruins might not agree to a contract so marchand would have to prove himself this year. since that is not physically possible I know it is misguided

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

good points asmaha, but I think there's more.
    I like what Marsh brings to the team, but I really think the sample size is way to small to bank much on.  As far as wanting to be here/not wanting...that's all posturing, and really means jack, because there is no way to ascertain it's sincerity with any player.
    Getting back to the sample size.  Marchant really started to come along after Christmas, and his contribution to the cup run was mamoth.  NHL contracts don't pay for what you did though, they pay for what you're going to do.  We've seen plenty of Bruins over the years, play really well for 4 or 5 months, then disappear.
    It's all about the money.  It doesn't matter how good a player is any more.  It's about how good he is, coupled with how much you have to pay him.

I'd like to see Marchant return, but only if he continues to grow as a player, and at a cap hit of about 2.5 for a couple or 3 years.  Even then, I'm not sure where he goes from here.

Fans are delusional.  Just look at the TT-Tuuka debate.  12 months ago, most here agreed that TT should be playing in a beer league in Saskatchewan.  Many offered to drive him there.  Marchant is the exact opposite equivalent, 1 year later.

The fan base perceives Marchand's value higher than reality.  Most just assume he'll get better, and that's not necessarily correct.  Much better Bruins over the years have peaked at a given time only to fade into oblivian a short time later.

Not saying he will, but I am saying the sample size is way to small to consider him a must sign.  First of all, in todays NHL, there is no such thing as a must sign, and if there were, I can think of 5 or 6 other Bruins that would chart higher thin him.

I like Marsh.  Hope he comes back, but I'm not part of the "cult following".  The term suggests an illogical, irrational sense of value. 

I think PC's assessment is a little more grounded.  I've yet to see an example of PC's frugality.  He doesn't seem adverse to paying market value.

In simple terms, if he thinks he's worth 4 mil a year at this stage, and he can get it...the team is probably better off if he's earning it somewhere else.

Sections
Shortcuts