Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand???

In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand???:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : I agree; but if it's PC who's balking that's another story. Who's dug their feet into the cement. Maybe the negotiations are fine. Maybe both parties have just said. "Look it's been a long season, we're the champs. Brad wants to be here, we want Brad in Boston. Let's just chill till close to training camp. If you think about it. PC hasn't STOPPED. He had the finals; then the draft; then free agency; other contracts; then this reasearch camp. Maybe JJ told him to take a few weeks off & spend it just on his family. BM's deal is gonna happen & it's not a concern. Is this not a reasonable possibility?
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Absolutely

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : I cannot stand statements like this.  If they didn't have Marchand on that wing, who would have played there?  Unknown.  How would that player have done?  Unknown.  What would the outcome of the series have been?  Unknown.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

NAS...you're right, if they had another unknown, tenacious, young forward who put up 11 goals, abused the Sedins, and got under the skin of the opponents other than Marchand they could have won. I know Marchand is not your favorite, but c'mon - he was spectacular during the cup run. Let's at least give him that, he's earned it.

This is what was missing against Carolina and Philly...(IMO)

http://youtu.be/VNSWvfnnvFM

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : NAS...you're right, if they had another unknown, tenacious, young forward who put up 11 goals, abused the Sedins, and got under the skin of the opponents other than Marchand they could have won. I know Marchand is not your favorite, but c'mon - he was spectacular during the cup run. Let's at least give him that, he's earned it. This is what was missing against Carolina and Philly...(IMO) http://youtu.be/VNSWvfnnvFM
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]
    I understand the point NAS is making but I agree with you regarding Marchand's playoff contributions. He was easily one of the most important players in the finals.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

As STARVED for success we Bruins fans have been our entire lives (I speak for my self at the age of 40) - we can't help but put the starting lineup from game 7 up on a pedestal.  When I am old and in a rocking chair, I will have memories of BM scoring goals and rabbit punching Sedins.

But that's me - not Peter Chiarelli.  He has to put all that glory aside and make the tough decisions for the betterment of the club.  If that means resisting the temptation to give this young star too much $$ before he has truly earned it - then that's what he must do.  And I believe he will.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

See you later Marchand. I'd rather give your money to Krejci

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

OK; NAS inspired me to open start another thread. Nothing against NAS Fletch; but I think it's an interesting & debatable topic.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : AND, because you don't want to set a negative precedent for the team.  You don't want the agent of every young player who's had one decent season and a good playoff to come knocking on PC's door demanding a 4-yr, $14m contract.  It's just bad business.  Posted by 49-North[/QUO i totally hear the whole bad precedent thing 49. the last thing chairelli or any gm for that matter needs is any rookie who manages the score 21 goals 20 assists asking for 9 million over 3 years but how many of those rookies will be able to follow up a season with 11 goals and 8 assists in 25 playoff games? in that scenario charelli or any gm would or should be looking to lock up said rookie to even your numbers 14 million over 4 years. lets also remember that the bigger the stage got with marchand the better his game got from Montreal to Philly,Tampa bay and his best series Vancouver were he was an absolute monster out there. signing marchand to the numbers that are being reported is nowhere near bad business. u know what bad business is? its trading mikael grabner, steve bernier and a 1st rounder last year(quinton howden) for victor oreskovich and keith ballard with 5 years left on his contact at 4.2 a season for 21 million dollars. that sounds like bad business to me.
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]

Every GM makes great trades, and trades that, in hindsight, he'd like to take a mulligan on.  And don't forget that Florida also gave up on Grabner before he caught fire on Long Island.  Canuck fans also couldn't wait until Bernier got out of town -- a classic "he's got all the tools, but no toolbox" guy.

I'm wondering how PC feels about getting Kaberle for 4 months in exchange for a past 1st rounder, a 2011 1st round pick, and a 2012 2nd round pick?  And don't give me that "oh we won the Cup, so it was worth it" nonsense -- while he was a decent player, and he managed to rack up 11 assists in 25 games, he didn't do much for the PP, which ended up 14th out of the 16 playoff teams.  I think everyone is giving PC a pass on this trade, because of the Cup, but in general terms, that's one very expensive rental.

But, on a slightly different track, I'm wondering how contract negotiations happen here in Boston?  Does PC do everything, or do Benning and/or Sweeney handle the meaty part of the back-and-forth (based on general instructions from PC), with the boss coming in at the end to sign off?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Two ways to look at the Kaberle trade: Expensive because the Bruins gave up a lot of potential for a guy who didn't have a star player impact and left at the end of the season.

or

Free.  Bruins roster added a veteran defenseman with skills who played less of a role than they'd hoped, but still played every game on the way to a Stanley Cup, keeping Shane Hnidy and a collection of rookies off the ice.  Bruins gave up no roster players, no first-call-up depth players, and in no way weakend their roster for 2011-12.  Win.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Marchand: I think I've shown what I can do, and I'd like to be paid like a second line winger.

PC: Well, yeah, you had a solid season but, what have you done for me lately?

Marchand: !!!!! I had two goals and an assist in the a Game 7 for the Stanley Cup!

PC: Yeah, but so, didn't Tim shut them out in that game?  So really...only the assist should matter because the goals were just...padding. What have you done since then?

Marchand: !!!! Are you serious!  That was the last game we played!

PC: I don't like it when players make excuses for underperforming.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : Every GM makes great trades, and trades that, in hindsight, he'd like to take a mulligan on.  And don't forget that Florida also gave up on Grabner before he caught fire on Long Island.  Canuck fans also couldn't wait until Bernier got out of town -- a classic "he's got all the tools, but no toolbox" guy. I'm wondering how PC feels about getting Kaberle for 4 months in exchange for a past 1st rounder, a 2011 1st round pick, and a 2012 2nd round pick?  And don't give me that "oh we won the Cup, so it was worth it" nonsense -- while he was a decent player, and he managed to rack up 11 assists in 25 games, he didn't do much for the PP, which ended up 14th out of the 16 playoff teams.  I think everyone is giving PC a pass on this trade, because of the Cup, but in general terms, that's one very expensive rental. But, on a slightly different track, I'm wondering how contract negotiations happen here in Boston?  Does PC do everything, or do Benning and/or Sweeney handle the meaty part of the back-and-forth (based on general instructions from PC), with the boss coming in at the end to sign off?
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Although he didn't do what he was expected, the PP came to life when it mattered most. The Bruins PP outscored the Canucks PP in the 7 game SCF series...... and I'm sorry 49, but they DID win the cup which is, and correct me if I'm wrong here, the ULTIMATE goal! Therefore, that cannot be dismissed. 

Sorry but in my opinion, and further to Book's post, we won on that trade..... because..... All together now..... BRUINS WON THE CUP!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]Two ways to look at the Kaberle trade: Expensive because the Bruins gave up a lot of potential for a guy who didn't have a star player impact and left at the end of the season. or Free.  Bruins roster added a veteran defenseman with skills who played less of a role than they'd hoped, but still played every game on the way to a Stanley Cup, keeping Shane Hnidy and a collection of rookies off the ice.  Bruins gave up no roster players, no first-call-up depth players, and in no way weakend their roster for 2011-12.  Win.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

"Giving up nobody from your active roster" does not equal "free".  It's like saying "I just bought a new 50" HD TV, but I didn't have to pay any cash out of my wallet for it".  You're still gonna get that credit card bill, and you're still gonna have to pay for it.  The Bruins will be paying for Kaberle in the future, with three fewer blue-chip prospects.  Now, if the B's had re-signed Kaberle, and gotten more value out of him, or had pulled off a "sign-and-trade" deal, and gotten picks or players in return, then the equation might be different.  But to give up 2 #1's and a #2 for a rental, that ain't "free".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : "Giving up nobody from your active roster" does not equal "free".  It's like saying "I just bought a new 50" HD TV, but I didn't have to pay any cash out of my wallet for it".  You're still gonna get that credit card bill, and you're still gonna have to pay for it.  The Bruins will be paying for Kaberle in the future, with three fewer blue-chip prospects.  Now, if the B's had re-signed Kaberle, and gotten more value out of him, or had pulled off a "sign-and-trade" deal, and gotten picks or players in return, then the equation might be different.  But to give up 2 #1's and a #2 for a rental, that ain't "free".

It ain't expensive either when you have a pipeline filled with talent because your front office did a great job filing it and when it bring you your 1st cup in 39 yrs.

Sorry dude but I'm not going to disregard the hardest trophy to win in all of sports!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : Every GM makes great trades, and trades that, in hindsight, he'd like to take a mulligan on.  And don't forget that Florida also gave up on Grabner before he caught fire on Long Island.  Canuck fans also couldn't wait until Bernier got out of town -- a classic "he's got all the tools, but no toolbox" guy. I'm wondering how PC feels about getting Kaberle for 4 months in exchange for a past 1st rounder, a 2011 1st round pick, and a 2012 2nd round pick?  And don't give me that "oh we won the Cup, so it was worth it" nonsense -- while he was a decent player, and he managed to rack up 11 assists in 25 games, he didn't do much for the PP, which ended up 14th out of the 16 playoff teams.  I think everyone is giving PC a pass on this trade, because of the Cup, but in general terms, that's one very expensive rental. But, on a slightly different track, I'm wondering how contract negotiations happen here in Boston?  Does PC do everything, or do Benning and/or Sweeney handle the meaty part of the back-and-forth (based on general instructions from PC), with the boss coming in at the end to sign off?
    If your team ever managed to win, you might feel differently about any trades that were made along the way. How about you get back to us when all of(OR EVEN 1)of the players PC gave up pan out as NHL regulars. Until then, I'll happily keep giving you the "we won the cup so it was worth it nonsense".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : If your team ever managed to win, you might feel differently about any trades that were made along the way. How about you get back to us when all of(OR EVEN 1)of the players PC gave up pan out as NHL regulars. Until then, I'll happily keep giving you the "we won the cup so it was worth it nonsense".
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Hey Dez,

I guess we can't blame the 'lil guy.... It's not like he knows what it's like to see your team win the Stanley Cup!

Geez..... It really never does get old!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : "Giving up nobody from your active roster" does not equal "free".  It's like saying "I just bought a new 50" HD TV, but I didn't have to pay any cash out of my wallet for it".  You're still gonna get that credit card bill, and you're still gonna have to pay for it.  The Bruins will be paying for Kaberle in the future, with three fewer blue-chip prospects.  Now, if the B's had re-signed Kaberle, and gotten more value out of him, or had pulled off a "sign-and-trade" deal, and gotten picks or players in return, then the equation might be different.  But to give up 2 #1's and a #2 for a rental, that ain't "free".
    Pick #30, # 55-60, and Colborne(who may never be a regular). Spin it any way you like, a Cup means the trade will always be worth it to the Boston franchise. Tikannen was traded for a young Doug Weight in 94 when the NYR won the Cup? do you suppose the NY fans are upset about losing Weight in order to win their last Cup?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : Hey Dez, I guess we can't blame the 'lil guy.... It's not like he knows what it's like to see your team win the Stanley Cup! Geez..... It really never does get old!
    Posted by Ronstar8[/QUOTE]
    Ron, there's a good chance I'll say it another 100 times before I finally go to bed tonight.........it really doesn't get old. Cheers!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : Pick #30, # 55-60, and Colborne(who may never be a regular). Spin it any way you like, a Cup means the trade will always be worth it to the Boston franchise. Tikannen was traded for a young Doug Weight in 94 when the NYR won the Cup? do you suppose the NY fans are upset about losing Weight in order to win their last Cup?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

A little quick to give up on colborne don't you think??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : A little quick to give up on colborne don't you think??
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    Saying "he may not" isn't giving up. Tongue out

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand???:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : NAS...you're right, if they had another unknown, tenacious, young forward who put up 11 goals, abused the Sedins, and got under the skin of the opponents other than Marchand they could have won. I know Marchand is not your favorite, but c'mon - he was spectacular during the cup run. Let's at least give him that, he's earned it. This is what was missing against Carolina and Philly...(IMO) http://youtu.be/VNSWvfnnvFM Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

^This!

I can name those unknowns NAS- Whitfield, Caron, more form Providence Arniel? and a few others that the Bruins couldn't afford at the trade deadline. Chiarelli didn't need to go looking to replace Marchand because he had what he wanted.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? :                                     ^ This! I can name those unknowns NAS- Whitfield, Caron, more form Providence Arniel? and a few others that the Bruins couldn't afford at the trade deadline. Chiarelli didn't need to go looking to replace Marchand because he had what he wanted.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

It's unknown.  To say the team wouldn't have won if they didn't have Marchand is so specifically wrong, I won't debate it any further.

No one knows what would have happened.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins NOT interested in extending Marchand??? : NAS...you're right, if they had another unknown, tenacious, young forward who put up 11 goals, abused the Sedins, and got under the skin of the opponents other than Marchand they could have won. I know Marchand is not your favorite, but c'mon - he was spectacular during the cup run. Let's at least give him that, he's earned it. This is what was missing against Carolina and Philly...(IMO) http://youtu.be/VNSWvfnnvFM
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

Well put JW.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from airbus01. Show airbus01's posts

They HAVE TO  resign him.....stupid move not to

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]Ya know. I was told by a co-worker whose a big B's fan & is friends with McQuaids family. He said he was told that there's very few guys on the team that liked Marchand. I'm wondering now if this maybe an actual fact. As per normal I'll wait until I hear something from Dreger, or Mckenzie before I make my mind up if it's true or not.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE] That doesn't surprise me ,he is cocky ,arrogant and often acts like an imbecile ..I don't think he is someone who I would like ,personally .......but the kid can play hockey and I love having him on our team . 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTGAMER. Show CTGAMER's posts

[QUOTE]  I think its obviousl Savard won't be back this year or at least to start they year so maybe this has something to do with the wait.[/QUOTE]

Savard is not coming back period.