Bruins Player on PED's?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Bruins Player on PED's

With Braun being suspended and more baseball players to follow, and the NFL players association and the NFL coming trying to come to an agreement for HGH testing at the forefront of headlines the last couple of days, do you think any of the players on the Bruins are on PED's?  If I had to guess, ex Bruin now Devil, Old Man Jagr would be a choice of mine.  I would have to think that there has to be at least one current player on some flintstones.  Seidenberg?  Chara?  Thornton?  What do you think?  I know a few years back there was speculation about the Caps and Ovi showing up on a list somewhere,  it has to be more widely used than we think, doesn't it?  Or could hockey be that different from other sports?  When was the last time someone was suspended in the NHL for drugs?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Bruins Player on PED's

Pretty  irresponsible of you to throw that out there and then speculate about Jagr is just plain idiotic.

What in gods green earth would make you guess Jagr? His burning speed that makes him look like a 25 year old? His enourmous goal totals during the playoffs?

Get a life.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Put a damn question mark in that headline.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Nah.  Hockey players need skill,speed and quick decision making.  Some of the greatest to play the game were small in stature.

And if Jagr is on PED's he should try to get his money back!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Nah.  Hockey players need skill,speed and quick decision making.  Some of the greatest to play the game were small in stature.

Hang, the title of this thread bugged me because it's a statement. But speculation of PEDs in hockey is well-founded (though certainly not Jagr).

Laraque came out very publicly to state that yes there are players that use them, and not just tough guys but stars too, and most of the players know who they are.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/georges-laraque-nhl-has-a-problem-with-peds/article4248989/

It may or may not be as widespread as other sports, and I like to think it's not, but I thnik it would be very naive to think there's no one using PEDs in hockey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Not all ped's make u big.  Btw GNC is offering free samples of Test x180 for us older guys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Sorry Red, You're right, should've been one there.  Unless there is a secret to changing headlines, I can't edit it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]

Hang, the title of this thread bugged me because it's a statement. But speculation of PEDs in hockey is well-founded (though certainly not Jagr).

Laraque came out very publicly to state that yes there are players that use them, and not just tough guys but stars too, and most of the players know who they are.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/georges-laraque-nhl-has-a-problem-with-peds/article4248989/

It may or may not be as widespread as other sports, and I like to think it's not, but I thnik it would be very naive to think there's no one using PEDs in hockey.

[/QUOTE]

OK thanks red.  I guess when I think of PED use I think of guys who really want to build strength - to hit a baseball farther or to push a 350 lb. lineman out of the way more easily.

To me, hockey is far and away the game that requires the most "athletic abilty" in that you have to have much more than just strength to succeed.  So I guess I question why a hockey player would choose to do PED's.  Yeah, you need strength and speed, but not an inordinate amount.  Look at Gretzky, LaFontaine, Hawerchuck, Trottier, Oates...the list goes on and on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Weak title Mean, c'mon.  The misleading, baiting thread title (it's a statement, not a question) always bugs me.  

If you're just guessing about PEDs, than let's not imply you know something.  I saw this and though "Wow, a Bruin got caught using PEDs somehow?"

I'd be fine with the NHL testing players.  If you have nothing to hide, what's the problem with it.  I had to agree to random testing in college, as does any NCAA athlete, so I'm not just saying that from the sidelines.  I would prefer having to provide an occasional sample, along with knowing that my opponents are operating on a level playing field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Bruins Player on PED's?

In response to MeanE's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sorry Red, You're right, should've been one there.  Unless there is a secret to changing headlines, I can't edit it.

[/QUOTE]

Wrote my post before I saw this.  It's cool.  You just got me with the title, that's all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

EPO is what scares me -- like all of the endurance athletes get caught with.  Hard to trace without an immediate blood sample/test, and anyone would benefit from that extra jump in the 3rd period or overtime.

I don't think muscle building is a big concern here. I worry about HGH use to prevent, and recover from, injuries, and EPO use to boost performance energy and stamina.

It isn't illegal, but what's the name of the stuff they always have on benches that acts like smelling salts?  It comes in the little plastic tubes...?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Wrote my post before I saw this.  It's cool.  You just got me with the title, that's all.

[/QUOTE]

Hey, it worked when I edited it, what do you know, learn something new every day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

hang - one of the absolute worst sports in the world for PEDs is cross-country skiing. I'm not kidding. That is not a sport where strength is paramount. But there are PEDs that enhance endurance, recovery time and other non-strength based physical factors that are very beneficial in cross-country and could also benefit hockey players. Think about how gassed you can get by the end of the third let alone in OT. There are drugs that practically eliminate that kind of fatigue. PEDs don't have to be about strength and speed. There are other varieties that could be quite helpful for even slighter-build hockey players. I'm not saying these are in use in hockey (though I wouldn't be in complete shock if someone out there is using them) but the range of PEDs offer something for every sport. It's kind of frightening how broad ranging they are actually.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"If I had to guess, ex Bruin now Devil, Old Man Jagr would be a choice of mine."

Jagr's last few games he looked like he was on Thorazine, Bruce Willis in "12 Monkees"!

"Oh Jim they really dosed you didn't they ?!"

Skating in cement in slow mo, Jagr would be my last choice...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

hang - one of the absolute worst sports in the world for PEDs is cross-country skiing. I'm not kidding. That is not a sport where strength is paramount. But there are PEDs that enhance endurance, recovery time and other non-strength based physical factors that are very beneficial in cross-country and could also benefit hockey players. Think about how gassed you can get by the end of the third let alone in OT. There are drugs that practically eliminate that kind of fatigue. PEDs don't have to be about strength and speed. There are other varieties that could be quite helpful for even slighter-build hockey players. I'm not saying these are in use in hockey (though I wouldn't be in complete shock if someone out there is using them) but the range of PEDs offer something for every sport. It's kind of frightening how broad ranging they are actually.

Can't believe that you mention this as I was going to post the same thing but figured nobody would care about nordic skiing.  EPO use is rampant in the nordic skiing and triathlon communities.  I've competed in both and one of my best friends went to two Olympics for the US in x-country skiing.  He saw it all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"If I had to guess, ex Bruin now Devil, Old Man Jagr would be a choice of mine."

Jagr's last few games he looked like he was on Thorazine, Bruce Willis in "12 Monkees"!

"Oh Jim they really dosed you didn't they ?!"

Skating in cement in slow mo, Jagr would be my last choice...

I don't think that most of these guys that take PED's use something that gives them immediate results for a performance from one game or series even.  I would suggest that if he uses PED's that he takes them in the off season, in order to still be able to get ready for a season and maintain as long as possible.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-must-be-a-leader-in-ped-prevention/

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Thank you red.  I guess I don't know much about them so that was a good summary.  It sounds like the benefits are huge.  I wondeer what the known side effects are though!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thank you red.  I guess I don't know much about them so that was a good summary.  It sounds like the benefits are huge.  I wondeer what the known side effects are though!

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/science-medicine/science-topics/qa-on-epo/

What are the side-effects of EPO misuse?

While proper use of EPO has an enormous therapeutic benefit in the treatment of anaemia related to kidney disease, its misuse can lead to serious health risks for athletes who use this substance simply to gain a competitive edge. It is well known that EPO, by thickening the blood, leads to an increased risk of several deadly diseases, such as heart disease, stroke, and cerebral or pulmonary embolism. The misuse of recombinant human EPO may also lead to autoimmune diseases with serious health consequences.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Can't believe that you mention this as I was going to post the same thing but figured nobody would care about nordic skiing.  EPO use is rampant in the nordic skiing and triathlon communities.  I've competed in both and one of my best friends went to two Olympics for the US in x-country skiing.  He saw it all.

Yeah, and I was going to mention EPO and HGH directly (made my post before I saw yours) Between these two things and the Falcons yesterday, this is starting to get a little freaky.

But yeah, I lived in Canmore for a while, and saw a lot of the international training up there. You'd go to the pub, and you'd hear all the rumours and scuttlebutt about doping, not to mention how many people have been punted fron the sport for PEDs now. I'd hazard a guess that it's even worse than cycling or baseball.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:[/QUOTE] I don't think that most of these guys that take PED's use something that gives them immediate results for a performance from one game or series even.  I would suggest that if he uses PED's that he takes them in the off season, in order to still be able to get ready for a season and maintain as long as possible.[/QUOTE]

It's all about immediate results and quicker recovery after physical exertion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pretty  irresponsible of you to throw that out there and then speculate about Jagr is just plain idiotic.

What in gods green earth would make you guess Jagr? His burning speed that makes him look like a 25 year old? His enourmous goal totals during the playoffs?

Get a life.

Irresponsible?  Idiotic?  He's freakin ancient and he is still a workout warrior?  Plays significant minutes.  It's speculation on my part that a 40+ player may be utilizing something to help him stay in the game.  OMG the horrror!  No need to get your panties in a bunch big boy!  

6428 posts and I need to get a life?  LOL 

eatadick!

[/QUOTE]

So by your logic (not really) then Recchi at the age of 43 when the Bruins won the cup must have been on something.

So would that make the Cup win tainted in your highly educated opinion?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, and I was going to mention EPO and HGH directly (made my post before I saw yours) Between these two things and the Falcons yesterday, this is starting to get a little freaky.

But yeah, I lived in Canmore for a while, and saw a lot of the international training up there. You'd go to the pub, and you'd hear all the rumours and scuttlebutt about doping, not to mention how many people have been punted fron the sport for PEDs now. I'd hazard a guess that it's even worse than cycling or baseball.

[/QUOTE]

No kidding, we're on the same page...

And yes, the big endurance training towns like Canmore, Jackson Hole, and Boulder are probably about the easiest places to find EPO.  Cross-country skiing, cycling, and triathlon are infested with it.  Those sports are a competition based on recovery and red blood cell counts.  EPO is a gamebreaker.

My friend left professional competition after the Salt Lake games and said he thought it was becoming a huge problem.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

My friend left professional competition after the Salt Lake games and said he thought it was becoming a huge problem.

It's got to be tough on an athelete like your friend to be competing clean when you know so many around you are doping. I remember prior to the Salt Lake games, Beckie Scott doing an interview in which she complained and warned about EPO use in nordic skiing. Low and behold she ends up getting a gold after finishing third, becuase the two skiers in front of her blew their drug tests.

The temptation for competitors to level the playing field by cheating themselves has to be huge.