Bruins Player on PED's?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Bruins Player on PED's?

Once in a while, lots of players need a boost.

With all of the former players here, there is no way I'm the only one who came down with a bad cold and needed Sudafed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to red75's comment:

It's got to be tough on an athelete like your friend to be competing clean when you know so many around you are doping. I remember prior to the Salt Lake games, Beckie Scott doing an interview in which she complained and warned about EPO use in nordic skiing. Low and behold she ends up getting a gold after finishing third, becuase the two skiers in front of her blew their drug tests.

The temptation for competitors to level the playing field by cheating themselves has to be huge.

[/QUOTE]

In fairness, I think it is an even worse problem in Europe because the sport is actually so mainstream in some countries.  For my friend, he could barely make a living while on the US Ski Team without some modest sponsorships.  While he was obviously a top N. American skiier, he would be delighted to crack the top 20 in a World Cup or Olympic race.  He surely could have used the money from winning in Europe, but I would say that US skiiers have less pressure and are less star struck by the opportunities to win and make big bucks.  He peaked in the late-90's which (I think) was just before EPO made a big presence in the sport.  He was a modest, small town Massachusetts kid who was happy to get a college scholarship, see the world and get paid (modestly) to train.  He's the coach at UVM now, so he has made a career out of it, which very few can do.

I do remember Beckie Scott.  Good to see the non-cheater win there.

I would be amazed if EPO has not been at least introduced to the professional hockey locker room.  

I played with a guy in college who snorted coke before games...is that performance enhancing?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Caffeine pills for me once in a while NAS, (Or just just shotgunning a couple of cold cups of coffee) but there's a big difference between something like that, or even sudafed (though I think some forms of sudafed are on the IOC's banned list) and the mopre prevalent PEDs in sports. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Once in a while, lots of players need a boost.

With all of the former players here, there is no way I'm the only one who came down with a bad cold and needed Sudafed.

Yep, I played on Sudafed before.  I've even done it in beer league, although not in recent years.

This will sound like a weak excuse, but when I used to do it in college I had no idea it was wrong, or cheating, or illegal, or whatever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm a former cyclist - who now has exactly as many tour de France wins as Lance Armstrong!

I would guess that if PED's were a big issue in hockey, we would have heard more by now.

There must be some abuse at least for sure, but it's not going to make as big a difference as it does in endurance sports.

Thing about hockey is that you need muscle and vo2 max and there isn't a nice PED that can fill both those categories nicely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I'm a former cyclist - who now has exactly as many tour de France wins as Lance Armstrong!

I would guess that if PED's were a big issue in hockey, we would have heard more by now.

There must be some abuse at least for sure, but it's not going to make as big a difference as it does in endurance sports.

Thing about hockey is that you need muscle and vo2 max and there isn't a nice PED that can fill both those categories nicely.

I think you're right, and I hope you're right, but I disagree that we would have heard about it if it was regularly used.  They don't test for it and something like EPO is pretty easy to use without it being apparent.  One thing we've learned from other sports is that teammates will certainly not report on fellow teammates unless there is a tremendous personal angle or incentive (book deal, criminal charges, etc....?).

Why did you stop cycling?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

only guy on the team last year with the body type that would indicate PED use would be Horton. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Why did you stop cycling?

I was an amateur, I had a job that started getting more serious, then a house.  Practically impossible to find 3-5 hours to train every day and then dedicate each weekend to racing and have those other responsibilities, as least for me.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

only guy on the team last year with the body type that would indicate PED use would be Horton. 

There is no body type that indicates EPO use -- it doesn't change how you look.  

130-pound bikers destroy the competition on it.  You're thinking of steroids.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Doesn't look all that jacked to me anyhow...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

You know it's the middle of the summer when threads like this are created.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:

but there's a big difference between something like that, or even sudafed (though I think some forms of sudafed are on the IOC's banned list) and the mopre prevalent PEDs in sports.

"I know I've  made the mistake on occassion as well, so no stones being cast, just if he's going to be on our team now, we should be able to spell his name."

Yah I know what you mean

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah, yeah :p 

rassumfrassumtypos

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

You know it's the middle of the summer when threads like this are created.

Yup.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'd be Shupe would have some good insight on this, but he hasn't seen the thread yet.

I'll throw up the Shupe Signal to alert him:

That should do it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Doesn't look all that jacked to me anyhow...

right after a concussion that had him incapacitated. muscle atrophes quickly

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

There is no body type that indicates EPO use -- it doesn't change how you look.  

130-pound bikers destroy the competition on it.  You're thinking of steroids.

or HGH, or testoserone, which is what would be benificial for hockey players. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Heck, we're talking pro athletes here. If there's a way to get an edge (legal or not), there's a good chance (like 100%), that some are gonna do it. Pretty much a fact of life in the world of sports these days. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This pic can't be more than about six weeks from his concussion.

Yeah, in six weeks, he shrunk to a normal sized man.

Here's Horton in September of that year:

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

This is something that always gets to me.  People like to speculate on issues that COULD happen, rather than what they KNOW DID HAPPEN.

Imagined issue:  Bruins on PEDs.

Known Issue:  Lucic on PEZ.

Yes, PEZ!  He was taking way too many and arrived at the start of the season fatter than hell.  You all know it.  So let's worry about Bruins at buffet tables first, the issue we know about.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

This pic can't be more than about six weeks from his concussion.

Yeah, in six weeks, he shrunk to a normal sized man.

Here's Horton in September of that year:

That looks like Jack Edwards.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I intend to make no accusations.  It concerns me that guys probably do use PEDs, but I know that my favorite player is just as likely to be guilty as my least favorite.

That picture is misleading.  

The one I posted below is only slightly better.  I have seen him and his wife in a Boston Magazine and he is jacked like a bodybuilder.  I believe it was the same shoot this pic is from, but this would not have been his most flattering pic.  I say this as a compliment to him.  It is hard work to keep yourself in that pique physical condition, or we would all be jacked.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

I like Horty's  'training' partner.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[/QUOTE]

So by your logic (not really) then Recchi at the age of 43 when the Bruins won the cup must have been on something.

So would that make the Cup win tainted in your highly educated opinion?

[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about being tainted? My belief is that all professional athletes should be able to take whatever the hell they want to.  If they choose to do damage to their bodies to make more money, play better, recover faster, etc....  I don't really care.  I want them to entertain me.  I'm pretty sure the Nucks and Bruins had similar number of players taking PED's.  I don't think there is a team like the 70's Steelers, The 80's A's & Rangers, that it's players are enhancing more than other teams.  Recchi talked about how wine was his go to PED! :)  Would I be surprised if he had a little something something to help him out as well, no I wouldn't.  I can honestly say that I never used any PED's during my playing days. Unless a handful of amino acid-nasty-tasting drinks during summer workouts in High School count.   In my 30's while working out, I did take Andro, had probably 100 pills, I used about 50 of them.  It allowed for me to work out longer, but I chose not to continue.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to RickyHussle's comment:

I intend to make no accusations.  It concerns me that guys probably do use PEDs, but I know that my favorite player is just as likely to be guilty as my least favorite.

That picture is misleading.  

The one I posted below is only slightly better.  I have seen him and his wife in a Boston Magazine and he is jacked like a bodybuilder.  I believe it was the same shoot this pic is from, but this would not have been his most flattering pic.  I say this as a compliment to him.  It is hard work to keep yourself in that pique physical condition, or we would all be jacked.

Body builder...? Meh, looks like he works out...

Saw 50 guys at the gym today who are just as big.  No reason to suspect PEDs.  Maybe he lifts weights...

Sections
Shortcuts