Bruins seeking assets for Kaberle's negotiating rights

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Bruins seeking assets for Kaberle's negotiating rights

Curious as to what the headline means?

Yah, me, too.

Here's the link;
    http://twitter.com/#!/GlobeBruins

Does anyone have a clue as to what this means?

Just on my intuitve guess as to what it means - you can hold rights to negotiate with him, but not agree on salary? you can do that?  I didn't know you could.  Has it happened before?  And why wouldn't anyone just wait until after July 1 and then negotiate with Kaberle "for free"?

Or I guess I totally don't know or understand something.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: Bruins seeking assets for Kaberle's negotiating rights

The reason imo that no one will wait until after july 1st is that there may be several teams interested. I also think toronto wants him  back, part of there plan to get them more assts when they traded him to bos. You got to wonder if PC and Burke knew at that time if he was just a rental. All in all im sure after what pc seen in kaberle here he would take anything he can for him now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Bruins seeking assets for Kaberle's negotiating rights:
    Curious as to what the headline means? Yah, me, too. Here's the link; http://twitter.com/# !/GlobeBruins Does anyone have a clue as to what this means? Just on my intuitve guess as to what it means - you can hold rights to negotiate with him, but not agree on salary? you can do that?  I didn't know you could.  Has it happened before?  And why wouldn't anyone just wait until after July 1 and then negotiate with Kaberle "for free"? Or I guess I totally don't know or understand something.
    Posted by BadHabitude

yes look at Erhoff's rights to NYI for 4th round draft pick. Think it just allows you to negotiate with them b4 July 1st.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, if you just think of it as a trade, it shouldn't hurt your brain.  Bruins are trying to trade Kaberle before he becomes a UFA.  What they get for him will be limited by the fact that there's about 36 hours left before he becomes a UFA, but in that time, the team they trade him to can re-sign him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I should also add...this is a little bit like window-shopping him to assess the market.  If no one is willing to give up a fourth round pick or something, anything for him so they don't have to go to competitive bidding, maybe that convinces Kaberle that there isn't the strong market for his services he and his agent believe exists.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Fluto thinks that the two sides couldn't come to agreement on years and dollars I tend to agree. Maybe a team steps up mabe not, tootles Tomas.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Great acquisiton by PC but it's time to move on.  Kabs was well worth giving up Colborne and picks. Can't argue with the results but many will try.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CamOJonasink. Show CamOJonasink's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins seeking assets for Kaberle's negotiating rights:
    Great acquisiton by PC but it's time to move on.  Kabs was well worth giving up Colborne and picks. Can't argue with the results but many will try.
    Posted by hangnail

I totally agree.  And while I loved the deal at the time, he didn't exactly bring what we expected.  I'm not nearly as down on him as most B's fans.  I'd sign him at the right price (what he's worth), but that will never happen.  Let him walk or grab a pick for his rights.  Then offer Yandle a bundle and surrender a 1,2, and a 3.  Well worth it!  Our farm is stocked and now is the perfect time to try and sign a restricted FA.  Phoenix is in a flux right now and there is no way they match a 5 yr/ $30+mil contract sheet!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

FWIW, this from Dreger.  As I said, if you think he wants more than the market will bear for him, you can either walk away entirely or you can let the market prove your point (i.e. by having no one offer diddly squat for exclusive neg. rights).

"The Boston Bruins have decided to let Kaberle go to market, but haven't ruled out the possibility of re-signing him if Kaberle doesn't find what he's looking for in free agency."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

B'S won't get anything in return with the deadline almost here....

Isles were willing to give up something because Ehrhoff's younger and brings more to the table than Kaberle....

that said, Kaberle won't be coming back either....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The only trade would be back to Toronto, as stated above.  Otherwise, the 64 million cap is ruling the market.  Last year I would have thunk it a matter of leaking information to the media in order to gain some leverage in negotiation.  My new motto for the Bs UFA is "don't overpay in a buyers market".  This year like Sandog states, "good bye" Kaberle.  I too thought it a smart acquistiion, Colbourne was the only known player, the rest is just speculation on whether or not Toronto has the scouting department to fill the needs.  Kaberle was a disappointment, but as a Bs fan, I am very pleased!  The Cup still is unbelievable!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Otherwise, the 64 million cap is ruling the market."

That really says allot Isla defensman who can move the puck, keep the puck moving to the sniper during the PP and shot blockers will get paid.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins seeking assets for Kaberle's negotiating rights:
    I should also add...this is a little bit like window-shopping him to assess the market.  If no one is willing to give up a fourth round pick or something, anything for him so they don't have to go to competitive bidding, maybe that convinces Kaberle that there isn't the strong market for his services he and his agent believe exists.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Exactly. If they are off on the numbers, doing this and getting zero or limited response allows the Bs an "I told you so" moment to possibly drive the price in their favor.

In the end, I'm ok if he walks and ok if he signs. There are good reasons why either one is ok with the club. I'm leaning towards letting him walk, giving the Bs time to assess the Savard situation. If Savvy doesn't come back, then there's money to make a huge splash at the deadline. If Savvy does come back, still good money to address a need at that time. Why waste the cap space now when you don't know what piece could propel you into the playoffs? What if Defence is perfectly fine, but scoring is an issue? More $$ to wait and do something later.

Sections
Shortcuts