Bruins Sign Goaltender

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bruins Sign Goaltender

"Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today, July 2, that the team has signed goaltender Jeremy Smith to a one-year, two-way contract. Smith’s contract is worth $550,000 at the NHL level and $80,000 at the AHL level.

The 25-year-old spent the 2013-14 season with Columbus’s AHL affiliate, the Springfield Falcons, where he earned a 21-14-3 record while posting a 2.78 goal against average and .898 save percentage.

Smith spent the majority of his American Hockey League career in Nashville’s system playing with the Milwaukee Admirals (2009-13), appearing in 128 games, piling up a 66-46-7 record. In 2011-12 with Milwaukee, Smith enjoyed his best season, racking up a career-best 31 wins, 2.17 goals against average and .922 save percentage.

In total, Smith has an AHL career record of 87-60-10 GAA with a 2.48 GAA, .912 save percentage and nine shutouts in 166 games.

The Dearborn, MI native also spent part of his career in the ECHL appearing in a total of 43 games for the Cincinnati Cyclones between 2009-11, with 42 of those games coming in the 2009-10 season. During that season, Smith won the Kelly Cup as a member of the Cyclones and earned ECHL playoff MVP honors after posting a 2.67 goals against average in 17 postseason games, yielding a 9-7 record.

The 6’0’’, 178-pound goaltender was drafted by the Nashville Predators in the second round (54th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Re: Bruins Sign Goaltender

Another Goal Keeper? Sveberg, Subban not enough?
    Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

In response to Macfact's comment:

Another Goal Keeper? Sveberg, Subban not enough?
    Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

He will more than likely be backing up Subban in Providence as Svedberg will be backing up Rask if all goes to plan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He'll be platooning with somebody in Providence.  Part of me wonders if it will be Svedberg rather than Subban.

Are you not entertained?!?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

2nd rounder by the preds and now a 25 year old AHL back-up weirdo.  He's exhibit A for people who make a case for not picking a goalie in the first 2 rounds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2nd rounder by the preds and now a 25 year old AHL back-up weirdo.  He's exhibit A for people who make a case for not picking a goalie in the first 2 rounds.

[/QUOTE]

Your honour may I present Exhibit B..........of the 97 goalies who played in an NHL game last year.........30 of them were 1st or 2nd round draft choices.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

LoL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your honour may I present Exhibit B..........of the 97 goalies who played in an NHL game last year.........30 of them were 1st or 2nd round draft choices.

[/QUOTE]

Which of course includes first round draft pick and reigning Vezina trophy winner, Tuukka Rask!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So two quick follow ups:

-That means about 70% were drafted later than the first two rounds?  Sounds about right.

-How many of the 30, are playing for the same team that drafted them?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

How many goalies with over 6m contracts have won the cup?  Of those how many were 1st round draft  picks.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:[QUOTE] He'll be platooning with somebody in Providence.  Part of me wonders if it will be Svedberg rather than Subban.   [/QUOTE]

Svedberg signed a one-way contract which I though was peculiar. I think PC brings Subban up for a game or two this season but that's it for now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Read my post more carefully. I didn't say I think you shouldn't draft goalies in the first 2 rounds. Just that Smith is an example of a guy that supports the argument for those who have that belief.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This scrap heap jokeshop of a hockey player will be as useful in helping them win the Cup as the Bruins first round pick from three drafts ago.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Brian Finley 2.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How many goalies with over 6m contracts have won the cup?  Of those how many were 1st round draft  picks.  

[/QUOTE]

You know, for a defenseman, you cherry pick a whole bunch.  There haven't been that many $6M goalies to begin with, and if you're going to play the salary card, two of the highest paid goalies are 9th round picks (or whatever - 7 or higher let's say), so you're arguing two separate points and trying to find common evidence here.  You've also picked $6M because you want to keep Quick out of the answer to the first part by $200K - though his actual salary is $7M.  Which, again, has no bearing on first round picks.

Nevertheless, Marty Brodeur made nearly $7M when he last won the Cup in 2003.  Cam Ward was an entry level player when he won the Cup, and he now makes $6M.  J-S Giguere was making close enough to $6M that I'll take the inflation and call it equivalent.  Fleury would make the list if his deal hadn't been signed when the Cap was so much lower.

Since there aren't that many goalies who win Cups, and there aren't that many goalies picked in the first round, and the $6M salary is a relatively recent thing in hockey (Gretzky and Messier maybe $6M and were top 5 paid players in 1997-98), the number of responses to your question is going to be tiny.  Since 2000, there could only be a total of 14 goalies who've won cups, and 12 goalies have won those 14 (Quick and Brodeur twice).  So out of 12, 4 are first rounders who either made $6M at the time or did very shortly thereafter.  Going back to 2005, every goalie who has won it except  Antti Niemi and Chris Osgood (giving him credit, though Hasek made $8M at one point and took a cut to play for a Cup) has made a buttload of money - and in salary has at least one $6M+ year on the books.

Ward - check

Giguere - check

Hasek/Osgood - no, but under extraordinary circumstances

Fleury - check (adjusted for inflation)

Niemi - no

Thomas - check

Quick - check

Crawford - check

Quick - check.

[object HTMLDivElement]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Look away, people.  The story here is that some kid got to extend the dream another year for about what my mailman gets paid.

Not really an NHL Bruins story....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

My only reaction to your commentary is where are the forwards who have been signed a made an impact on the Bs. 

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Look away, people.  The story here is that some kid got to extend the dream another year for about what my mailman gets paid.

Not really an NHL Bruins story....

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

This is exactly why I like the Subban pick, most teams are a high ankle sprain away from a lost season. Should Rask go down, I'd feel pretty good about a Svedberg/Subban combo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Read my post more carefully. I didn't say I think you shouldn't draft goalies in the first 2 rounds. Just that Smith is an example of a guy that supports the argument for those who have that belief.

[/QUOTE]

Now read my post again.

Where did I say you did ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

So two quick follow ups:

-That means about 70% were drafted later than the first two rounds?  Sounds about right.

-How many of the 30, are playing for the same team that drafted them?

[/QUOTE]

Two quick follow ups to your two follow ups:

- 97 goalies was the total. Yes 70-30 was the percentage although inflated due to an abundance of goalies who played a minimal amount of games. If one looks at the top of the lists in the goalie's statistical categories........the percentages increase for the 1st-2nd rounders in basically every category. Sounds about right also.

- a quick tally came in at around 50%. 

Out of curiosity I researched only Bruins forwards still playing in the NHL ( same criteria ) 50% still with the Bruins. Doing the whole league would be interesting but too time consuming.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is exactly why I like the Subban pick, most teams are a high ankle sprain away from a lost season. Should Rask go down, I'd feel pretty good about a Svedberg/Subban combo.

[/QUOTE]

As I mentioned in another thread 29 other teams dream about having Boston's goaltending issues. What NHL team has had 3 vezina winners since 2009 & another that was robbed from being in contention in 2010? Was 3rd runner up in 2012, & pretty sure the runner up in 2013. Whoever complains about the B's goaltending; would complain about getting a BJ from Jennifer Aniston instead of Scarlett Johansson! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As I mentioned in another thread 29 other teams dream about having Boston's goaltending issues. What NHL team has had 3 vezina winners since 2009 & another that was robbed from being in contention in 2010? Was 3rd runner up in 2012, & pretty sure the runner up in 2013. Whoever complains about the B's goaltending; would complain about getting a BJ from Jennifer Aniston instead of Scarlett Johansson! 

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the single best line ever posted on this site.

That's is a beauty Nite!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh my.  Kel.  We all have our own feelings and are entitled to them, but what in the wide wide world of sports are you talking about?  You know teams with bad goaltending lose, right?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Whoever complains about the B's goaltending; would complain about getting a BJ from Jennifer Aniston instead of Scarlett Johansson! 

[/QUOTE]

Solid organizational depth at the goaltending position for the Bruins.  Who wouldn't want that if they were a Bruins fan ? 

Makes no sense at all complaining about it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now read my post again.

Where did I say you did ?

[/QUOTE]
    Put in the context of your other posts on this subject, that's exactly what your point infers.

Sections
Shortcuts