Bruins sign Knight and Spooner

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Bruins sign Knight and Spooner

Per NE Hockey Journal
    http://kirkscall.hockeyjournal.com/2011/07/bruins-sign-knight-spooner/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Bruins sign Knight and Spooner

Thanks !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Good. 

Means they're coming to camp to shoot for spots with a contract in hand.  They won't make the big club, but you know they'll try.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Thanks for the info.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

Excellent news. At the Rookie Development Camp, these two impressed me the most along with Cross and Jouris.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins sign Knight and Spooner:
    [QUOTE]Excellent news. At the Rookie Development Camp, these two impressed me the most along with Cross and Jouris.
    Posted by ksp57[/QUOTE]

Cross and Jouris???
    I was very unimpressed with them.

I felt that Hamilton was more polished than both of them, and the longer the scrimmage went, the more Hamilton settled down and the more comfortable he seemed.  I was very impressed with Hamilton.

Someone explain the contract to me.  Is it still possible that they play junior next year?  I would like to see them both in the AHL.  To me, they have clearly outgrown juniors and the next level of the AHL would be much better for their development.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins sign Knight and Spooner : Cross and Jouris??? I was very unimpressed with them. I felt that Hamilton was more polished than both of them, and the longer the scrimmage went, the more Hamilton settled down and the more comfortable he seemed.  I was very impressed with Hamilton. Someone explain the contract to me.  Is it still possible that they play junior next year?  I would like to see them both in the AHL.  To me, they have clearly outgrown juniors and the next level of the AHL would be much better for their development.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Here you go Mr. Bad Hab. It's either Boston or juniors for them.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3a48dbc090-f774-4946-b98e-29c96bd07f70

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Very informitive, instead of thinking ahl, whats there chances for the big club ? the rules dont apply .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

Cross and Jouris???
    I was very unimpressed with them.

To each his own. I thought they played well the day I was there, but a lot of rookies made Hamilton look like a turnstyle in his defensive zone during the scrimmage on Sunday. He got better during the scrimmage showing more control in the offensive zone, but two or three players blew right past him on 1 on 1's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

This is good news, but some of us were expecting this, thanks to Wheatskins.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3af4c5834d-c515-4a77-8ceb-cad110ad360a

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgebhardt8. Show sgebhardt8's posts

Then why is this such a big deal, if they still can't be put in providence?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

[QUOTE].. I thought they played well the day I was there, but a lot of rookies made Hamilton look like a turnstyle in his defensive zone during the scrimmage on Sunday. [/QUOTE]

I agree. I was there for both scrimmages and thought Cross looked far more composed (defensively) than Dougie. But after all, he is about 4-5 years older as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Very informitive, instead of thinking ahl, whats there chances for the big club ? the rules dont apply .
    Posted by wallydouglas[/QUOTE]

I would be very surprised if they are going to play in the NHL next year, good skils, but they just don't seem that strong to me.

KSP - I went Monday.  Being an optimist I would like to believe that Hamilton adjusted and adapted in that short period of time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

sgebhardt: A few reasons, none of them earth-shattering.  One I mention above - it means they come to rookie camp with a deal in hand in September, knowing that there is at least a chance they'll get that 9 game look before going back to Jr.  Not much of a chance, but if they show the coaching staff or mgmt enough, they might earn a game or two of NHL money.  Or more.  Without a contract, they can't play regular season games.

Secondarily, teams have exclusive negotiating rights on drafted players for 2 years (the NCAA and European pro leagues play havoc with this rule, but for OHL players, it works).  Sometime in the next year, the Bruins would have had to sign these guys or they'd go back in the draft.  If Spooner puts up 100pts in Kingston, or if Knight scores 85 with 50 goals, or either comes out playoff MVP, they might decide to go back to the draft and see if they can't pop up to the first round and maybe a little bit better money.

Lastly, as Sweeney said, it means "they're in the plan moving forward, though not everyone does."  It means that, after a year of development, the Bruins are seeing enough to feel good about these prospects and will make the commitment to them and their ongoing improvement.

Doesn't mean much else.

Oh, and BadHab?  Haven't we rehearsed the info on age and eligibility for the AHL on here long enough?  You've been around...you must have picked it up at some point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

Could be, BadHab. I didn't think Seguin did all that well last year and we saw what my observations were worth during the season. Hopefully the same with Hamilton this season. I'd love to see him, Seguin and Knight star in the NHL, Kessel get his 40 goals in the NHL and miss the playoffs every year and Burke look like a buffoon.Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]  Oh, and BadHab?  Haven't we rehearsed the info on age and eligibility for the AHL on here long enough?  You've been around...you must have picked it up at some point.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

It's hard to remember and the birthday business is confusing.

Honestly, I think I'm going to print it out along with the parts of cba and tack it up on my bulletin board.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Spooner is a joker.

His father told me Sunday (of the Dev Camp) that the evening before Ryan called Jared on his cell and ask him if he had signed.

Jared said no, I haven't yet.

Spooner advises him, "I just signed, what are you waiting for."

Jared gets all flustered and says, "I'm calling my agent." And hangs up.

A few minutes later, learning that it was a joke, he calls back Ryan and gives him heck.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

The thought of any of these kids making the Bruins next year should be just that.......a thought. If they blow the socks off of Bruins management come training camp then so be it. They might get an audition in the bigs.

But let's remember they are 18-19 year old kids who need to be brought along at a decent pace to ensure they're ready to play in the NHL. The Bruins won the cup and have a solid core of players. They have depth players that are older and have had a season or two in Providence to choose from for callups. There is no urgency to promote them.

If you guys think that they still can't get better in the OHL you're wrong. This is a very good league and they are not above playing in it.

I hope they get sent back . I anticipate cheering for Dougie , Spooner, Knight and the rest of the B's picks come September.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins sign Knight and Spooner : It's hard to remember and the birthday business is confusing. Honestly, I think I'm going to print it out along with the parts of cba and tack it up on my bulletin board.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

That's okay Badhab, being in the over 50 club you are excused. If you forget again I won't scold you , I'll just remind you on what the rules are.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Thanks Chowda, these posts are very helpful to most of us who last saw 50 twenty + years ago. You are absolutely correct on the quality of the Junior teams, particularly those with experienced coaching that focus on development. Chiarelli definitely has thought out the benefits of drafting young players, isn't Ko-Ko only 17 ? He knows that Hamilton has two more years of junior, and that Knight and Spooner, now known as" Wheatskins guys", also can go back for further exploits with their known team-mates. Meanwhile, Arneil [ 21] and Sauve [21] get a shot at improved coaching in Providence. Communications rather than "in-your-face" has stepped to the forefront in Coach Cassidy. Does anyone have any thoughts on who will work with Cassidy in Providence?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

BadHab, I'm under 50 and Chowda had to remind me twice so don't feel bad.

PS. Tommy wants you to come down to the BC boxing gym so he can show you how to handle yourself when you and the wife go back to your favorite restaurant LoL!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

[QUOTE]The thought of any of these kids making the Bruins next year should be just that.......a thought. If they blow the socks off of Bruins management come training camp then so be it. They might get an audition in the bigs. But let's remember they are 18-19 year old kids who need to be brought along at a decent pace to ensure they're ready to play in the NHL. The Bruins won the cup and have a solid core of players. They have depth players that are older and have had a season or two in Providence to choose from for callups. There is no urgency to promote them. If you guys think that they still can't get better in the OHL you're wrong. This is a very good league and they are not above playing in it. I hope they get sent back . I anticipate cheering for Dougie , Spooner, Knight and the rest of the B's picks come September.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    I agree with you. I'm so pumped up to see those players (plus Khok of Windsor) playing in the OHL this year, I'm gonna purchase an OHL live stream package.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Then why is this such a big deal, if they still can't be put in providence?
    Posted by sgebhardt8[/QUOTE]

Many draft picks don't receive contracts at all.  This is their first step to being a professional hockey player.