Bruins sign Sweedish goalie Niklas Svedberg

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Bruins sign Sweedish goalie Niklas Svedberg

In Response to Re: Bruins sign Sweedish goalie Niklas Svedberg:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins sign Sweedish goalie Niklas Svedberg : I don't think it makes sense for many players, probably Rask included but it is an option.  Just for info purposes here is the revelvant section of the CBA:  10.1 Unrestricted Free Agents. (a) Group 3 Players and Free Agents. (i) For (A) the 2005-06 League Year, any Player who is 31 years of age or older and has four (4) Accrued Seasons as of June 30 of the end of the 2004-05 League Year, (B) the 2006-07 League Year, any Player who either has eight (8) Accrued Seasons or is 29 years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of the 2005-06 League Year, (C) the 2007-08 League Year, any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 28 Years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of the 2006-07 League Year, and (D) the 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11 League Years, any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of the 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10 League Year, shall, if his most recent SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either as of June 30 of the applicable League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestricted Free Agent. Such Player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction, or being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]
    Thanks again for the correction as I always thought that once a player signed his 1st deal, the team would get a minimum number of years to control his rights, regardless of when it happenned. Cheers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, that hockeywriters article is wrong, contract type does affect waivers, as do a bunch of other things. Summing it up in that table is fine for a lot of situations, but not for all. For example, why did Zach Hamill have to clear waivers, but not re-entry waivers? The waivers section of the of the NHL CBA is long and convoluted.  Suffice to say that everyone on an NHL 1-way contract must clear waivers to be assigned to a minor league team.  So must players on 2-way contracts, with some exceptions. The most-used exception is the one listed in that table of age/games played combo.  In the case of a 26 year old with Khubodin's experience on a 1-way contract he has to clear waivers for both reasons. The 1-way contract means he could also be claimed on re-entry waivers. In Response to Re: Bruins sign Sweedish goalie Niklas Svedberg :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Here's the CBA
    http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf
     No mention at all of one way or two way contracts in the Waiver section. (page 66 to save time).  Looks to me like contract type has nothing to do with it. 
    Where is your information from? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins sign Sweedish goalie Niklas Svedberg : Here's the CBA http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf  No mention at all of one way or two way contracts in the Waiver section. (page 66 to save time).  Looks to me like contract type has nothing to do with it.  Where is your information from? 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Check out section g:  (g) Minor League Compensation. Neither the salaries nor signing bonuses
    paid to minor league Players shall be counted against a Club's Upper Limit or the Players'
    Share. For a Player on a One-Way NHL Contract or a Two-Way Contract with a MinorLeague Salary and compensation that could be earned in excess of the following
    amounts:
    2005-06: U.S. $75,000
    2006-07: U.S. $95,000
    2007-08: U.S. $100,000
    2008-09: U.S. $100,000
    2009-10: U.S. $105,000
    2010-11: U.S. $105,000
    2011-12: U.S. $105,000
    the following rules shall apply:
    (i) To the extent the Player does not require Waivers to be Loaned to
    a minor league affiliate, he can be freely Loaned and Recalled; and
    (ii) To the extent the Player does require Waivers to be Loaned to a
    minor league affiliate, he cannot be Loaned or recalled without
    first clearing regular Waivers, and then cannot be Recalled to the
    NHL parent Club during the same League Year without also
    clearing a new Re-Entry Waiver procedure, pursuant to which the
    Player can be claimed by another NHL Club for fifty (50) percent
    of the contract's remaining amounts to be paid, with the balance to
    be paid by and charged to the waiving NHL Club (both amounts to
    be counted against each Club's Upper Limit, Actual Club Salary
    and Averaged Club Salary, and counted against the Players'
    Share); and
    (iii) For a Player on an AHL contract with a Minor League Salary and
    compensation that could be earned in excess of the applicable
    amount set forth above in this Section 50.9(g), who signs an NHL
    SPC for the same season with the AHL team's NHL affiliated
    Club, the Player must first clear the new Re-EntryWaiver
    procedure, pursuant to which the Player can be claimed by another
    unaffiliated NHL team for fifty (50) percent of the SPC's
    remaining amounts to be paid, with the balance to be paid by and
    charged to the original NHL affiliated Club signing the contract
    (both amounts to be counted against each Club's Upper Limit,
    Actual Club Salary, and Averaged Club Salary and counted against
    the Players' Share).

So any player that will make more than $105000 in the AHL is required to go through waivers on the way down and subjected to recall waivers. If the Bruins were to send Khudobin down and then need to recall him he could be claimed and the Bruins would half to pay half his salary.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Anyone been able to corroborate this signing with a credible source? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE] Thomas's deal will be gone by 2013, so the last point is moot.

I keep seeing talking heads say that this will be a big year of demand for goalies, but I don't see anything to suggest a sea change for teams wanting to pay a lot for a goaltender.  Every time a Braden Holtby flaps his wings, there's another GM willing to go with a young, cheap option in net.  Or Brian Elliott. Or a Mike Smith.  Smith's a great example.   I don't think anyone will give the Bruins a huge return for Thomas.  Who is in position to go from zero to Cup in the two years he might still have as an elite goalie?   Compare that to the list of teams who are desperate enough for a goaltender right now to trade good players - probably core players - for a goaltender.  Teams that think they're close enough to make that move.  The only one I can think of is San Jose, and I don't know if the Sharks still have the pieces to entice the Bruins.

I'm not even sure other teams will claim him on a lick and a promise and then have to pay him almost $1M.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Who says PC will demand core players ? Not me. Trade deadline deals don't get much in return so I don't see PC waiting if he is going to field offers for Thomas. GMs interested in TT will include teams that didn't make the playoffs, clubs that did not get in because of sorry goaltending. How many teams made a push in March and April but fell short because of their netminder ? Add those to your list of teams that made the playoffs but did not go far.

Smith is not a good example as he went to a team that could not afford a better goalie because Bettman cannot, will not sign off on any long term contracts. The real Smith came to the forefront on a weak Doughty wrist shot last night. No one will give Mike a long term deal ever but Thomas will get a nice extension soon. I'm not convinced it it will be in Boston. The remaining money on Thomas's contract is perfect for a trade then extension.

Chiarelli is not going to give a 26 year goalie a one way contract then just wave him. That is just plain dumb and would make PC look bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins sign Sweedish goalie Niklas Svedberg : What if Rask says I am not returning to a situation where I do not get rewarded for playing well and signs in the KHL fo 2 years until he has UFA rights?

What if they trade Thomas and Rask says "Well, now I want to be paid $7.5M/10yrs because you have no other viable goalie options."  What if they trade Thomas and Rask blows out his hip?  What if, what if, what if?

Right now, Rask says he wants to return.  Right now, the market rate for him is doable for the Bruins.  Right now, the Bruins have one of the top two or three goaltending tandems in the league.  It's smart to consider the risks, but you also have to decide if they're acceptable risks or not, because there's a risk to every decision.  I much prefer the risks associated with keeping both goaltenders because they're risks off the ice, not on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

SD: Who says PC will demand core players ? Not me.

- So...why trade Thomas if you're not getting enough value in return to offset giving up the strongest possible netminding duo?  To make room for Khudobin?  And avoid "looking bad" for giving him a year of NHL salary to keep your goaltending options open?  That makes no sense to me.  You're basically saying trade a two-time Vezina winner to make room for a guy with 7 games of NHL experience making less than $1M who could be had in trade two years ago for the roughly equivalent of Zach Hamill and Zach McKelvie.

SD: Trade deadline deals don't get much in return so I don't see PC waiting if he is going to field offers for Thomas.

- Not sure where this came from - did i miss where we were talking about when he'd make the trade?  I'm not trying to be difficult; I just don't see it in the discussion.

SD: GMs interested in TT will include teams that didn't make the playoffs, clubs that did not get in because of sorry goaltending. How many teams made a push in March and April but fell short because of their netminder ? Add those to your list of teams that made the playoffs but did not go far.

- I don't see that happening.  Maybe a team in the situation the Lightning were in two years ago where they think they have lots of top end talent so a proven playoff goalie, even if he's older than bogie, is worth it for the very short term.  Maybe an Edmonton, but even then, they have an old SC winning goalie and it didn't put them over the top.  No, I think the teams in the mix, unless you're purely dumping Thomas on someone, will have to be the teams that think they can go all the way this year.  Otherwise, Thomas's age and contract become barriers.

SD: Smith is not a good example as he went to a team that could not afford a better goalie because Bettman cannot, will not sign off on any long term contracts. The real Smith came to the forefront on a weak Doughty wrist shot last night. No one will give Mike a long term deal ever but Thomas will get a nice extension soon. I'm not convinced it it will be in Boston. The remaining money on Thomas's contract is perfect for a trade then extension.

- Agreed that he may never get a long term deal, but he's a perfect example in other ways; he is, for example, a short-term stop-gap who won two playoff rounds for a bargain basement price.  That's what Thomas would be except he would be even shorter term at a bigger price.

Chiarelli is not going to give a 26 year goalie a one way contract then just wave him. That is just plain dumb and would make PC look bad.

- He's not "just waiving him"; he'd be sending him to AHL.  It would look like a smart move, frankly.  You keep a guy who could be valuable protection against greedy agents and RFA offer sheets from going to the KHL by paying him a competitive salary for one year.  If he gets waived and claimed, the claimant will have to pay Khudobin that salary, so Chiarelli's basically looking after the player to encourage him to stay.  It's not that different from giving Zach McKelvie the bonus package of a first round pick (knowing that he was never going to hit those bonuses), or agreeing to keep Krug in the NHL and burning a year of his EL deal.  It's a small gamble that works for the players and could pay off in spades if any of those three becomes an NHL regular some day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Who know exactly what PC is think or planning on, but the fact another goalie has been added into the system is speculation for a pending move.

So the question is, do you possibly sacrifice long term for short term by trading Rask or do you get what you can for Timmy and hand the job to the young guy who has been patiently waiting and have no issues with Khudobins 1 way contract.

The only thing concrete is age, Tuukka has a solid decade plus ahead of him and TT is creeping close to 40. Everything else is an educated guess.

Could we even keep both? How long is Tuukka going to give up ice time and development? I'm not even too sure I would blame him if he didn't want to be signed if he is not going to get a starters workload. If Rask is traded and a couple years down the road when TT is retired, depending on how Khudobin pans out, we might be wishing we had Rask because he will probably be tearing it up with any other team.

Obviously we can get more for Rask because we are giving up more, but i would not be thrilled with letting 10-15 years of top notch goaltending go. If TT and Rask's age were reversed, I would feel the same way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

TT keeps doing what he has been doing plays lights out and keeps his job. He re-signs in Boston for 3 more years. Kiss a real good one or two Bruins contributor good bye in 2013 because TT is not coming cheap. NEGATIVE

Thomas continues to do what he has been doing playing lights out but gets injured right before the deadline. Rask has been boiling because ice time development is non-existent. Khudobin was claimed by the Garth Snow and has been playing great. NEGATIVE

PC gets nothing in return for Thomas and puts hammer to head for not going for Doug Wilson's offer or another GMs offer at the draft. Chiarelli has to go out and sign Marty Turco because Khudobin was picked off wavers by Tampa, while beating the Bruins twice during the regular season. NEGATIVE

Develop two young goalies so they compete hard for playing time after receiving prospects and picks for Thomas. TT plays lights out in the West for a team that does not effect Boston and is happy to be around ultra conservative teammates. POSITIVE

I'm done with stop gap veterans instead of developing draft picks and prospects. You can't find out about a prospect if they are playing w/ AHL muckers. NEGATIVE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE] the following rules shall apply: (i) To the extent the Player does not require Waivers to be Loaned to a minor league affiliate, he can be freely Loaned and Recalled; and (ii) To the extent the Player does require Waivers to be Loaned to a minor league affiliate, he cannot be Loaned or recalled without first clearing regular Waivers, and then cannot be Recalled to the NHL parent Club during the same League Year without also clearing a new Re-Entry Waiver procedure, pursuant to...
     So any player that will make more than $105000 in the AHL is required to go through waivers on the way down and subjected to recall waivers. If the Bruins were to send Khudobin down and then need to recall him he could be claimed and the Bruins would half to pay half his salary.

I cut a lot of your post out to save time and just kept what I thought was the main points.  Hope I didn't miss anything important. 
    I read this to say regardless of the $105000 number if he doesn't require waivers he can be moved freely. 
    This section is from the salary cap section and timing of accounting for salaries.  I'm confused as to why they even mention waivers in this section, except that the claiming team is responsible for 50% of the cap hit.
    It is a confusing system.  No wonder a good GM needs to be a lawyer!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

What the heck is going on?

Why haven't the Bruins anounced this?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

TT keeps doing what he has been doing plays lights out and keeps his job. He re-signs in Boston for 3 more years. Kiss a real good one or two Bruins contributor good bye in 2013 because TT is not coming cheap.

Maybe.  But for three more years, you have the Vezina calibre, Smythe calibre goaltending you need to win a championship.  Plus, in 2013, the only UFAs who walk for nothing are Horton and Ference.  The others are all RFAs.  You control their rights, meaning, if you're in a situation where you have to make a deal to comply with the cap, you can get something pretty freaking good for whoever you have to lose.  Probably something more meaningful than what you've said you'd ask for for a 40yr old goalie, and at least some pretty good picks.

Thomas continues to do what he has been doing playing lights out but gets injured right before the deadline. Rask has been boiling because ice time development is non-existent. Khudobin was claimed by the Garth Snow and has been playing great.

Well, so?  How is this different than trading Thomas and Rask gets injured?  Now you've got Mr. 7 NHL games and Hutch or Syetiberg (as it increasingly seems he will be).  I'm being dismissive because a) you're assuming Khudobin will be claimed and b) you're assuming he'll play great.  I can play with those variables too - you've traded Thomas, he wins the Vezina. Rask gets injured, Khudobin play like Lacher and the Bruins miss the playoffs.  NEGATIVE.

PC gets nothing in return for Thomas and puts hammer to head for not going for Doug Wilson's offer or another GMs offer at the draft. Chiarelli has to go out and sign Marty Turco because Khudobin was picked off wavers by Tampa, while beating the Bruins twice during the regular season.

You're completely ignoring a season of hockey between Wilson making an offer at the draft so the Bruins can "get something" (see: sig line) and Thomas walking at the end of next year.  Chiarelli won't have to sign Turco; he won't be looking for a goaltender after the trade deadline like he was with Turco this year.  He'll have Rask as a starter and a bunch of potential UFA goalies including Backstrom, Lehtonen, Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Quick (the last two unlikely to make it to UFA).  Hutchinson will also have had another year to develop, and there will be ton of RFA goalies who could be good pairings for Rask.  Again, you're assuming Khudobin will be good.  That's no better than 50/50.

Develop two young goalies so they compete hard for playing time after receiving prospects and picks for Thomas. TT plays lights out in the West for a team that does not effect Boston and is happy to be around ultra conservative teammates.

Right.  Like they did with Raycroft and Toivonen?  Maybe if the Bruins weren't a real Cup contender you might put a higher value on developing a goalie of the future, but I would far prefer that they win a Cup at the expense of developing than develop at the expense of winning a Cup.  Let that be my assumption to counter your assertion that Khudobin is going to be the second coming: in my scenarios, the Bruins play in the 2013 SCF with a healthy lineup and Thomas in net.

I'm done with stop gap veterans instead of developing draft picks and prospects. You can't find out about a prospect if they are playing w/ AHL muckers.

Fine.  If you're talking about 3rd line wingers.  This is the starting goaltender on a team one year removed from a Cup run where said goalie was the Smythe winner.  This is a team with a bad taste in its mouth from an early playoff defeat.  But taking the spirit of this, how about this scenario:

The Bruins keep Thomas and Rask, lose Khudobin.  Hutchinson plays an entire AHL season as the uncontested number 1 and puts up numbers like he did in the final months of last season.  Providence not only makes the playoffs, they win a couple of rounds.  Thomas walks, Bruins promote Hutchinson to back up Rask next year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

He'll have Rask as a starter and a bunch of potential UFA goalies including Backstrom, Lehtonen, Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Quick (the last two unlikely to make it to UFA).  Hutchinson will also have had another year to develop

More Fernandez veteran type UFAs. Where is the money going to come from to pay those goalies after PC takes care of Lucic, Marchand, Seguin, Rask and Horton ? If you jettison key players to keep both Thomas and Rask I think is the wrong move.

Right.  Like they did with Raycroft and Toivonen?

Like they ? Who MOC on his way out the door ? It wasn't PC who was in charge judging or being advised by his scouts. Why did Khudobin jump past Hutchinson on the depth chart so quickly ? I've seen Hutchinson he's terrible (spent time in the ECHL this year) and why Chiarelli told his scouts to find a goalie in the AHL. The scouts did find a good goalie or PC would have brought Hutch up for some starts instead.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2012/05/bruins_continue_2.html

If Chiarelli gives Kelly the money he wants to stay then you've taken more money off the table for a more important summer of 2013.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Again, all RFAs except Horton and Ference.  If you get to 2013 and need to get rid of Thomas or Rask, do it then.

Hutchinson had better numbers than Khudobin playing about 66% of Khudobin's workload.  Could be he's getting better?

Also, Khudobin played ECHL as well - 60 games to Hutchinson's 20. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm beginning to think that this Svedberg thing is a scam.  Bruins aren't sayng anything and no one else is reporting it other than that one Swedish article, which references another Swedish publication. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]I'm beginning to think that this Svedberg thing is a scam.  Bruins aren't sayng anything and no one else is reporting it other than that one Swedish article, which references another Swedish publication. 
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I hope this is good enough:  http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=632596

Coming off a stellar playoff run and strong regular season, starting goaltender Niklas Svedberg signed an entry-level contract with the Boston Bruins earlier this week. The 22-year-old posted a 1.70 goals against average and .947 save percentage during the playoffs. Although Svedberg currently is blocked in Boston by Tim Thomas and Tuukka Rask, he could work his way into the NHL picture -- at least in a backup role -- if he has a strong AHL season with the Providence Bruins in 2012-13.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Hags picked up on the NHL.com story and added an explanation for the slow announcement.

So what’s the hold-up on the Bruins announcing the deal with their young European goalie?

The current snafu is the typical transfer agreement paperwork that’s present whenever a player is moving from one of the IIHF European contracts to North America and the NHL.

So there’s been no official announcement concerning the Swedish goaltender due to clerical issues, but it appears his future will be in Black and Gold. With or without Svedberg the Bruins continue to stockpile promising young netminders while avoiding the use of valuable high draft picks on them – a plan that seemed to work out pretty well with a guy named Thomas.

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-bruins/bruins-talk/Swedish-goalie-Svedberg-on-Bruins-radar?blockID=713480&feedID=10428

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh how I hate that "well it worked with Tim Thomas!" logic.  It's like winning the lottery.  You see some guy win the lottery, do you quit your job and spend your last cheque on lottery tickets?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Interesting how MOC did so well with Thomas, Bergeron, Krejci, Versteeg, Lucic ,Stuart and then bombed on Lars Jonsson!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Hopefully he turns out better than Gustavson. Did PC school Burkie again?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting how MOC did so well with Thomas, Bergeron, Krejci, Versteeg, Lucic ,Stuart and then bombed on Lars Jonsson!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Let me point out that *most* of the scouting staff is the same since then, or last I checked anyway.  The guy in Sweden has been there for 20 years and the only significant player I can think of is Axelsson.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Interesting article from hockey writers:  http://thehockeywriters.com/the-2012-summer-goalie-market/

Tim Thomas, Boston – 35-19-1, 2.36 GAA, .920 Save % Prediction: will be traded to the Chicago Blackhawks for Ray Emery, Dave Bolland and Kyle Beach

I would be happy with that return because I would love to see Bolland in black and gold. what do you think?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting article from hockey writers:  http://thehockeywriters.com/the-2012-summer-goalie-market/ Tim Thomas, Boston – 35-19-1, 2.36 GAA, .920 Save %  Prediction:  will be traded to the Chicago Blackhawks for Ray Emery, Dave Bolland and Kyle Beach I would be happy with that return because I would love to see Bolland in black and gold. what do you think?
    I think PC would have to pull the trigger on that deal if it's truly what's being offered.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]Oh how I hate that "well it worked with Tim Thomas!" logic.  It's like winning the lottery.  You see some guy win the lottery, do you quit your job and spend your last cheque on lottery tickets?
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Other picks/pick-ups that must have been like winning the lottery?

Rinne- 8th round
    Lundquist- 7th round
    Kiprusoff- 5th round
    Miller- 5th round
    Vokoun- 9th round
    Elliot- 9th round
    Nabokov- undrafted
    Backstrom- undrafted
    Niemi- undrafted
    Hiller- undrafted

Heavy European influence, I know, here is hoping for success in the Svedberg era.  Maybe he can be the link to get Soderberg over.

Sections
Shortcuts