Bruins trade shopping

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

Bruins trade shopping

As PC has stated, the Bruins are looking to acquire 2 players: a forward and a D-man. I agree with this assessment, but wanted to offer up my take on what the B's ought to go after.

PRIORITY #1-- Forward. A power center is REALLY what the B's need, but a power right winger would certainly be a good supplement, as the former is harder to come by. Looking at decent power centers on non-playoff teams outside of the division, you'd be looking at Ryan Getzlaf, Vinny Lecavallier, Jeff Carter and Eric Staal.
    Of that bunch, Jeff Carter is the most available, and carries a cap hit of only around $5M. However, he has a rediculously long contract and is injury prone. As good of a player as he is, the B's would be NUTS to take him on.
    Lecavallier has a no movement clause, and it seems unlikely that he's going anywere considering that Yzerman seems to be looking to build around him and Stamkos quickly for another few kicks at the can while St. Louis is still around and they're not too many pieces away.
    Staal is my favorite player of the bunch, and I'm not the discouraged by his down year. I love the way to guy plays. But I don't $8.5M for a few more years love him. Add in his NTC and that he's the face of the franchise down there, the haul you'd have to give up in addition to the money just puts this in the "no way" department.
    Getzlaf looks like the prime target because his cap hit is around $5.5, there's no NTC, and he only has 1 year left after this one. He could be resigned, or if you want let Seguin to eventually be your #1 center, you're not tied down forever. Still, if you're giving up the kind of pieces it'd take to get him, you'd better hope he works out and that you want to resign him and that you keep Seguin at wing for a bit... or maybe they do a position swap down the road.
    You make a deal if Anaheim would accept a package looking anything like: Krejci, any 2 prospects not named Hamilton (Knight, Spooner, Koko, Kampfer, Khodobin, etc.), and a draft pick for NEXT year's draft. That might not get it done, but more than that means it's a no-go. This is, after all, a fantasy. But, MAN, I'd love a top 6 that looked like this:

LUCIC-GETZLAF-HORTON, MARCHAND-BERGERON-SEGUIN

Next option would be to look at right wingers. While there are plenty that people will be talking about, the 2 I'd look at most closely would be trying to pry away Iginla or Selanne. Again, the asking price for either of these 2 would be high, and start with Krejci, but not as high as the centers because of both age and position. If you feel you can slide Seguin into a center role, either of those 2 are an automatic. Parise and Nash are going to cost too much, so forget about them. There are other guys that could make an impact, but I'm not going to list every decent right winger on a bad team.

LUCIC-SEGUIN-IGINLA, MARCHAND-BERGERON-HORTON
    or LUCIC-SEGUIN-HORTON, MARCHAND-BERGERON-SELANNE

If you can't find an impact guy for the right price, there are still some decent depth options available that could push, or act as insurance, as both Horton and Peverley are hobbled. Someone like Patric Honqvist could fit in well. His production is similar to both of those players, and he comes from a similar system in Nashville. Nashville is a playoff team, so you'd be making a REAL hockey trade... swapping a center for a winger, or something there-abouts.

PRIORITY #2-- As for puck-moving D-men, there are the obvious studs, like Weber or Suter, that do if you can for something like Hamilton, a 1st and possibly then-some. Then there are the B-listers that people always think are going to be an upgrade, and dazzle you when the team is playing well, and frustrate you when they're not. Wideman />>Kaberle>>Corvo. You've already got one. If this is what you're after, forget it. Try someone who's a little more stable, but can still do his part. One option would be trying to pry away Tallinder from NJ. He's got a few years left on his deal and is on IR until mid-March most-likely, but he's a steady veteran from a similar system that can do his part on both ends of the ice and not hurt you. Making your playoff D-corpssomething like:
    CHARA-SEIDENBERG, TALLINDER-BOYCHUK, FERENCE-CORVO, MCQUAID
    I'd take that.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Re: Bruins trade shopping

Tom, you are thinking too much, man.

Sit yourself back down on that couch of yours and watch The Discovery Channel for a while.

I'm going to get you to write my next report for me. Are you into Accounting?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins trade shopping:
    Tom, you are thinking too much, man. Sit yourself back down on that couch of yours and watch The Discovery Channel for a while. I'm going to get you to write my next report for me. Are you into Accounting?
    Posted by Wheatskins

Too funny, Wheatskins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Why do we need a center as our #1 priority again?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

Nothing will be decided until we know extent of Pevereley injury

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Can we get Vladimir Sobvotka back for a pick?

Always liked him as a good responsible role player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

ya, thats all pretty much crazy

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

After recent games I probably would trade Krejci but we want a good winger like Bobby Ryan, throw in Visnovsky for picks. He's showing his 35 years but maybe Chara can light a fire for 1-2 more years and finally give us a weapon on the back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

Why do we need a center as our #1 priority again?
    Posted by Chappy28

Because if you're going to improve your offense, it's the easiest place to do it. I don't see any reason to tinker with Marchand. Lucic and Seguin are both on pace for 30 goals. Bergeron is a no brainer. Horton has a NTC. Krejci is playing poorly right now as a "top-line" center. However, he still has value that could fetch return considering he has years left on his deal at reasonable money and has proven himself as a near point-per-game player in the playoffs on a cup winning team.
    He's certainly a good player. I'm not suggesting you DUMP him by ANY stretch, but he's certainly the easiest spot to upgrade at the moment, and his contract situation makes him easy to deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2012. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2012's posts

How about Krejci + Rask for Bobby Ryan and Tyutin ????

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2012. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2012's posts

meant ...Nash & Tyutin ..

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins trade shopping : Because if you're going to improve your offense, it's the easiest place to do it. I don't see any reason to tinker with Marchand. Lucic and Seguin are both on pace for 30 goals. Bergeron is a no brainer. Horton has a NTC. Krejci is playing poorly right now as a "top-line" center. However, he still has value that could fetch return considering he has years left on his deal at reasonable money and has proven himself as a near point-per-game player in the playoffs on a cup winning team. He's certainly a good player. I'm not suggesting you DUMP him by ANY stretch, but he's certainly the easiest spot to upgrade at the moment, and his contract situation makes him easy to deal.
    Posted by Tom857

Center is the position that we are strongest in.  Bergeron, Seguin, Krecji, Kelly, Campbell, and Peverly are all natural centers.  That's 6 capable centers across 4 lines.  Two of our three top forward prospects are also natural centers and project to be top 6 NHL'ers one day (Koko, Spooner).  So that's 8 total in the system.

On the wing we have Lucic, Horton, and Marchand that are true top 6 wingers.  Throw Peverley in there since he has proven a capable winger.  After that we drop off considerably.  Jared Knight, and maybe you could consider Suave as the only two promising up and comers on the farm.

That makes 6-8 centers in the system out of a total of 4 needed, and 3-5 good wingers out of a total of 6 needed (I'm gonna leave the 4th line out of it since I think 4th line wingers are expected to bring a different game than skill players)

So I really don't see your logic -- except that you want to trade a slumping Krecji, who we all know can be really good when he finds his groove.  I don't know that there is much available out there that would be an upgrade on DK at the center position.  I could understand however trading DK for a top 6 winger and letting Seguin move to the center position as it really is just a matter of time until we see that happen.

With Horton and now Peverley out by far our biggest need on this team is the wing -- unless of course you think that Pouliot really belongs in our top 6, and Jordon Caron and Josh Hennessey are going to start lighting it up on the third line.

How you can say center is our team's #1 need and easiest position to upgrade is beyond reason

Sections
Shortcuts