Bruins trading

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Bruins trading

As some might be aware, and a couple in particular are particularly aware, I've been critical of Bruins drafting.

However, credit is due where credit is due.  I'll call the Hamill trade a stunning success.  Hamill never came close to winning a game for the Bruins.  And getting one game out of Bourque has already made the deal worth it.

I think the Bruins are outstanding at trading.  Look at the Wideman deal.  Look at the Recchi deal.

The one that people beat on PC about is the Bochenski Versteeg deal, but they all forgot how good Bochenski looked in that first year.  He got 11 goals and 11 assists in 31 games, I think it's quite reasonable to assume that he would get 20 in a full 82 game schedule.  My take is that the deal wasn't as bad (or dumb) as some people would like to think.

Let's see what he does with TT.  I think TT has some trade value, altho I wouldn't put much stock into it.

Is there a GM you'd rather have?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Bruins trading

I'd hesitate to call the Hamill-Bourque a success..The fact that he had to trade his once 8th overall pick for a 27 year old minor leaguer is a fail on Chiarelli on more than one level, no matter what Bourque does.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

As some might be aware, and a couple in particular are particularly aware, I've been critical of Bruins drafting.

However, credit is due where credit is due.  I'll call the Hamill trade a stunning success.  Hamill never came close to winning a game for the Bruins.  And getting one game out of Bourque has already made the deal worth it.

I think the Bruins are outstanding at trading.  Look at the Wideman deal.  Look at the Recchi deal.

The one that people beat on PC about is the Bochenski Versteeg deal, but they all forgot how good Bochenski looked in that first year.  He got 11 goals and 11 assists in 31 games, I think it's quite reasonable to assume that he would get 20 in a full 82 game schedule.  My take is that the deal wasn't as bad (or dumb) as some people would like to think.

Let's see what he does with TT.  I think TT has some trade value, altho I wouldn't put much stock into it.

Is there a GM you'd rather have?

kelvana is right badhab..dont jump on your horse too soon... And you forgot one trade..but we wont mention it ..because I said I wouldnt talk about it anymore

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

The best trade in the history of the Bruins NHL was gettting rid of that no talent bum Blake Wheeler.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'll turn the tables on JW and start with a mention of the Kobasew deal - getting a high 2nd rounder for a guy who has been a shell of the bulldog we used to appreciate.  I know JW hates that deal.  Getting Recchi AND a Lightning 2nd rounder for two guys who barely flirted with the NHL (35 combined games with the Lightning). Moving out Morris to bring in Seidenberg.  Horton and Campbell for Wideman and a first is huge - that's probably the Cup-winning deal if you think about it because of the role Horton played, subtracting Wideman, and solidifying the fourth line with Campbell.  Huge upgrade.  The minor league deals haven't been as successful in recent years - there haven't been as many - but Boychuk for Hendricks and McQuaid for a 5th (who knew it would be Jamie Benn?!)?  That's two of the six D who won the Cup. 

Chiarelli overpaid on Kaberle, but again - nothing off of the active roster on a team that was looking to make a Cup run.  That's like paying nothing for something. Even the Rolston deal was sweet - shedding a bunch of ECHL contracts to make room for Rolston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Ouch book, got me on that one. That's what I get for putting a bee under stanley's bonnet.

Although, 30 yrs old, 1.25 per ...I'd take him back, if healthy, for 3rd/4th line duties.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Best trade ever : Barry Perderson for CAM NEELY

another good one : Ken Hodge for Rick Middleton

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

If we keep having injuries PC will have no other choices than to make a trade ..McDermid, Bourque, Spooner , Tardif ...there is not much left with the P-Bruins

thats when u really need top GM 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The Glen Wesley deal to Hartford for all those 1st rounders was a beauty. That tree has a branch that extends to the drafting of Lucic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

The Glen Wesley deal to Hartford for all those 1st rounders was a beauty. That tree has a branch that extends to the drafting of Lucic.

Kel, Glen Wesley was actually the player drafted with the pick they got along with Neely for Barry Pederson so that tree is a Giant Redwood. To be technical though, Wesley wasn't traded for picks. The picks were compensation for Wesley being signed as an RFA.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Kel, Glen Wesley was actually the player drafted with the pick they got along with Neely for Barry Pederson so that tree is a Giant Redwood. To be technical though, Wesley wasn't traded for picks. The picks were compensation for Wesley being signed as an RFA.

You sure about that? Wesley for three 1st rounders was a trade I thought.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Trading Samsanov for 2 bit players and a 2nd rd pk. That pk was used to take Looch. Not nearly as good as the Neely deal but it still turned out pretty good. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Another good one was dealing Raycroft for Rask.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

And of course Phil kessell for Seguin, Hamilton and I think it was Spooner or Knight not sure

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

You sure about that? Wesley for three 1st rounders was a trade I thought.

I guess you are correct Kel. My recollection was that it was one of the first times an RFA was signed with the former team refusing to match. Perhaps it was similar to the Kessel deal in that a trade was made to ensure the Bruins wouldn't match. Honestly, I always thought those picks were compensation and not part of a trade. It just so happened to take place right after the 94 lockout. I remember when I used to be smarter. Now I'm thinking that's not true either. Cheers!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I guess you are correct Kel. My recollection was that it was one of the first times an RFA was signed with the former team refusing to match. Perhaps it was similar to the Kessel deal in that a trade was made to ensure the Bruins wouldn't match. Honestly, I always thought those picks were compensation and not part of a trade. It just so happened to take place right after the 94 lockout. I remember when I used to be smarter. Now I'm thinking that's not true either. Cheers!

[/QUOTE]

I also thought Hartford signed him as a RFA.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

1970s Rangers = 2010s Toronto Maple Leafs

Sinden extended the string of Stanley Cup Final teams with the trade of Espo and Hodge.

O'Connell/PC made moves to add the potential of more Stanley Cup contenders with the trades for Rask, then the youth of Seguin, Hamilton, and Knight(?).

The best trade in my lifetime was the Neely trade!  It made winning the Cup in 2011 all the more sweeter as the Vancouver fans have suffered long since that trade only to have the President's trophy winners cough up the Cup.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Some of my trades that were important/OK for Bruins:

Chris kelly for 2011 2nd rd. pk.

Siedenberg for Bitz and Weller

Boychuk for Hendricks

SJ's Krejci for 2004,3rd rd. pk, 2004 4th, rd. pk, 2004 9th rd. pk

Glen Murray and Stumpel for Jason Allison

Bill Ranford for Edms. for 1st rd. pick (czerkawski)

Adam Oates for Janney and Quintal

Brian Propp  for 2nd rd. pk.

Simmer for 1985 1st rd. pick

Linsmen for Krushlynski

Park Ratelle and Zanuusi for Espo and Vadnais

Hodge sr., Espo and Stanfield for ? Martin Marotte

2 trades my personal disliking:

Vachon for Gilbert( my all time favorite Bruins Goalie)

O'connell for Al Secord ( my favorite Bruins pick grew up watching Al playing Jrs. in St. Catharines)

My all time favorite trade 1979 1st rd pk (Bourque) from LA for Grahamme

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Trading Ron Grahame to the Kings turned out pretty good for the Bruins.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The trading "smarts" has varied with each General Manager. So far, Chiarelli has been mostly on the up side, starting with Chara  and so far concluding with Hamilton

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

In response to goodnewsbears's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Hartford did.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I was talking about modern time, not stuff that happened last century.

At the time PC was hired people were saying Shero was the prize and PC was a very cheese ball second choice.

I would have liked to put those into my ourtrageous claims tracker.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[/QUOTE]

Hartford did.

[/QUOTE]

NHL.com says traded.  That's most likely to be correct. 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8452371&view=notes

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

From the Hartford Courant at the time:

"The Whalers had planned to sign Wesley, a restricted free agent, without going through the Bruins. But NHL bylaws forbid teams from having offer sheets out on two players at the same time. The Whalers already signed right wing Steve Rice and are preparing for an arbitration hearing with the Edmonton Oilers for compensation. Both --sides submitted briefs to the league Friday declaring players sought and offered.

So the Whalers had to acquire Wesley in a deal. They spent all summer trying to get him, and finally did."

So between that and Phil, call it twice the Bruins have done better than the standard compensation when another team has attempted to poach their RFAs.

Sections
Shortcuts