Bruins Underestimated Again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Bruins Underestimated Again

No RHO you won't see that from American media outlets or in print because most of the NHL contributors for those you mentioned are Canadian born (showing class) plus instructed not too say something like "Keep the cup in America" because they know a high percentage of the teams have Canadians. Then mainly because MLB, NBA, NFL, NCAA football and basketball will always rule the roost in the States over hockey (Not too many Yanks are going to SI.com to read hockey).

I expect Burnside, Pierre McGuire and Scotty Laughlin types to continue to downplay there dislike of the Bruins but it's obvious. Boston pro sports have been winning allot in the 2000s and it breeds Jealousy in the media I believe...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

They play better as the under dog and on the road.. Lately, they have been even better at home..  I say the Bruins take it in 5!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins Underestimated Again:
    [QUOTE]No RHO you won't see that from American media outlets or in print because most of the NHL contributors for those you mentioned are Canadian born (showing class) plus instructed not too say something like "Keep the cup in America" because they know a high percentage of the teams have Canadians. Then mainly because MLB, NBA, NFL, NCAA football and basketball will always rule the roost in the States over hockey (Not too many Yanks are going to SI.com to read hockey). I expect Burnside, Pierre McGuire and Scotty Laughlin types to continue to downplay there dislike of the Bruins but it's obvious. Boston pro sports have been winning allot in the 2000s and it breeds Jealousy in the media I believe...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Well said, as usual Dawg.  I'd never expect to sse something similar from a US network broadcasting a pro league sport.  Of course, the CBC's Canuck ads reveal a bis right out of the chute. 

One of the hot topics most heard up here now is the thought Colin Campbell should suspend his league involvement for the next two weeks while his son competes for the Cup.  He should leave decisions in the hands of Murphy and King.  And so it goes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]I expect Burnside, Pierre McGuire and Scotty Laughlin types to continue to downplay there dislike of the Bruins but it's obvious.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

He hasn't picked the Bruins ALL post-season and now he picks them???  I liked him so much better when he was a hater.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2011/news/story?id=6603216

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Another thing that should be remembered when Vancouvers presidents trophy is mentioned. If the B's played Edm,Cal,Minn,Col, six times each a year i'm positive they would be the presidents trophy winner. Not that it matters,just drop the puck and we'll see who's better. Go B's !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]The Bruins are defineatly the underdogs, and that suits me just fine.  I live in Vancouver and almost everyone I know is a Canucks fan.  I really like that everyone that I know is all of a sudden a Bruins expert now that they are in the finals.  I watched ever Bruins game this year while most people out here have watched less than a handfull.  Everyone out here is taking Canucks in 4 or 5 and not even thinking Bruins will pose a threat.  Cant wait to see their faces after taking game 1 in Vancouver and putting them in a hole for the first time these playoffs!
    Posted by Rufus604[/QUOTE]
    Yes,let's see how they react after game 1.This Bruins team has a ton of heart!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Yikes, Sedin makes an observation that will get him roasted by a few people on this board... one guy (you know who you are) will even stalk someone over saying this...

From todays Globe:

Thomas also posted his second shutout of the playoffs Friday, but has also had his share of hiccups, with questionable goals early in the first round and Eastern Conference finals — both after long layoffs.

“He makes saves you don’t think he’s going to make and lets in goals sometimes that maybe he shouldn’t have,’’ said Canucks captain Henrik Sedin, who leads the playoffs with 21 points

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Another thing that should be remembered when Vancouvers presidents trophy is mentioned. If the B's played Edm,Cal,Minn,Col, six times each a year i'm positive they would be the presidents trophy winner. Not that it matters,just drop the puck and we'll see who's better. Go B's !!
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Just looking at one team, Edmonton won at least 2 games against Vancouver.  You aren't really going to pretend Vancouver is the President's Trophy winner because of schedule, are you?  Their games vs Detroit and San Jose don't count?  C'mon, that makes us sound as bad as the people we are complaining about on this thread.

Vancouver won (earned) the President's Trophy over 82 games, amassing 14 more points than Boston did.  They have a ton of depth and scoring. They have home ice advantage. (anyone this the B's would be playing this week if TB had home ice advantage?)  That adds up to legimately giving Vancouver favored status.  THEY SHOULD BE FAVORED.

That said, the B's can get it together in a short series and beat anybody. Being favored puts pressure on Vancouver, not Boston.  And, Vancouver showed vs Chicago that they are capable of WILTING if they fall behind and are pressured.

So, as Dwight Evans said... "win."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Underestimated Again : Decent article. Still bugs me they bring up the Philly series from last year, one last dig I guess. I don't blame the Canadian media for hyping up the Canucks. I get it. What bothers me is the so-called experts falling into line with the hype. It really is not much of a stretch to see these two team in the finals....
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

I dont see the problem.  Very well written, very fair and respectful to Boston.  Glowing praise from Boucher.  Nothing like you would read in Montreal. Part of Boston's story is their recovery from last years epic collapse.  It should be in the story.  (although he could have mentioned the Canucks coming within an OT goal of doing that themselves).  I think its a balanced article which reasonably considers Vancouver the favorite on paper. 

Why does this hurt everyone's feelings on this board so much?

The Rams and the Cardinals were favorites on paper in 2001 and 2004, too.  They dont play the games on paper.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Underestimated Again : No reason Boston can't win another series against an unbeatable foe. I like it better when they aren't expected to win.     4 MORE WINS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Agree with that. I would be more nervous if the Bruins were favored. I'm fairly sure that the majority of experts polled picked Montreal, Philly, and Tampa Bay to beat Boston in those respective series.

One more wrong prediction from those favoring Vancouver is just fine with me.

Go Bruins!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Underestimated Again : I dont see the problem.  Very well written, very fair and respectful to Boston.  Glowing praise from Boucher.  Nothing like you would read in Montreal. Part of Boston's story is their recovery from last years epic collapse.  It should be in the story.  (although he could have mentioned the Canucks coming within an OT goal of doing that themselves).  I think its a balanced article which reasonably considers Vancouver the favorite on paper.  Why does this hurt everyone's feelings on this board so much? The Rams and the Cardinals were favorites on paper in 2001 and 2004, too.  They dont play the games on paper.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Depends on which article you are viewing when you say "respectful." There are several posted on this thread now. When so-called hockey experts use phrases like "herculean effort needed," and "if the Bruins have any chance to win" that is disrepectful to a team who was one of the best in the regular season and knocked out another division champ (Philly) as well as two very good teams (TB and MTL) in the playoffs. Not to mention the ridiculous "Bruins are only a one line team" observation by the Canadian Press article. Really? They deserve to be there even if the "experts" disagree....

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

[QUOTE]Bruins fans should have paid attention to one very real fact from this otherwise silly article... Canucks beat Nashville in 6 games (and I think we play a very similar style to Nashville... only our PP is much worse!)
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

But our scoring is way deeper.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Underestimated Again : Just looking at one team, Edmonton won at least 2 games against Vancouver.  You aren't really going to pretend Vancouver is the President's Trophy winner because of schedule, are you?  Their games vs Detroit and San Jose don't count?  C'mon, that makes us sound as bad as the people we are complaining about on this thread. Vancouver won (earned) the President's Trophy over 82 games, amassing 14 more points than Boston did.  They have a ton of depth and scoring. They have home ice advantage. (anyone this the B's would be playing this week if TB had home ice advantage?)  That adds up to legimately giving Vancouver favored status.  THEY SHOULD BE FAVORED . That said, the B's can get it together in a short series and beat anybody. Being favored puts pressure on Vancouver, not Boston.  And, Vancouver showed vs Chicago that they are capable of WILTING if they fall behind and are pressured. So, as Dwight Evans said... "win."
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    I know Vancouver is a good team and worthy of their Presidents trophy and  favorites status. I just think alot has been made of their regular season record and some facts should be pointed out.They do have an advantage on paper with Sedin,Sedin & Kesler but if Chara & Seids can neutralize 2 of them that could determine alot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

On "The Bill Watters Show" this afternoon, ex-Leaf associate GM Watters was talking to HNIC's Scott Morrison about the finals.  Both expect a "short" series of 4 or 5 games with the Canucks emerging on top.  Morrison said although the Bruins were impressive in Game 7 vs Tampa, the club is prone to "lulls" that could spell disaster against Vancouver. 

Watters actually said the Canucks "out everything" the Bruins.  One of his catch phrases is "Pick your poison" and he referenced it in expressing how superior Vancouver is to the Bruins regardless of which style Boston plays. 

He said the Bruins can get the best and worst of Thomas in the same game and that the Bruins would be foolish to try and skate with the Canucks.  The only edge he gave the B's was in toughness as in his view, Vancouver's is false and Boston's is not.  No mention was made of Luongo's playoff shakiness.  Wasn't he pulled in favour of Schneider along the way?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]On "The Bill Watters Show" this afternoon, ex-Leaf associate GM Watters was talking to HNIC's Scott Morrison about the finals.  Both expect a "short" series of 4 or 5 games with the Canucks emerging on top.  Morrison said although the Bruins were impressive in Game 7 vs Tampa, the club is prone to "lulls" that could spell disaster against Vancouver.  Watters actually said the Canucks "out everything" the Bruins.  One of his catch phrases is "Pick your poison" and he referenced it in expressing how superior Vancouver is to the Bruins regardless of which style Boston plays.  He said the Bruins can get the best and worst of Thomas in the same game and that the Bruins would be foolish to try and skate with the Canucks.  The only edge he gave the B's was in toughness as in his view, Vancouver's is false and Boston's is not.  No mention was made of Luongo's playoff shakiness.  Wasn't he pulled in favour of Schneider along the way?
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

This is becoming more and more comical by the day.  I have no problem with people picking the Canucks......but a sweep or 5 games???  I just don't see it.  I think the B's are reveling in this underdog role and thrive because of it.  Bruins in six!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Underestimated Again : This is becoming more and more comical by the day.  I have no problem with people picking the Canucks......but a sweep or 5 games???  I just don't see it.  I think the B's are reveling in this underdog role and thrive because of it.  Bruins in six!!!!
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

jalvis - Absolutely, man.  I'm glad the B's are not expected to have much success against Vancouver.  It'll make it that much more satisfying when they do. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bruins Underestimated Again : jalvis - Absolutely, man.  I'm glad the B's are not expected to have much success against Vancouver.  It'll make it that much more satisfying when they do. 

I'm saying six because I really believe this team can do it.  I don't like their chances in game 7 in Vancouver but you never know.  It would be game seven and anything can happen. 

Anyway, win or lose, I don't see this series going less than 6 games.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbag0991222. Show dbag0991222's posts

If the Sedine twins have anything to say it should be a question to thier mother asking why thier forheads are so big.  They must have used a plunger when they were born to get both of them out.  Similar to what Chara has in store for them in the defensive zone. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]On "The Bill Watters Show" this afternoon, ex-Leaf associate GM Watters was talking to HNIC's Scott Morrison about the finals.  Both expect a "short" series of 4 or 5 games with the Canucks emerging on top.  Morrison said although the Bruins were impressive in Game 7 vs Tampa, the club is prone to "lulls" that could spell disaster against Vancouver.  Watters actually said the Canucks "out everything" the Bruins.  One of his catch phrases is "Pick your poison" and he referenced it in expressing how superior Vancouver is to the Bruins regardless of which style Boston plays.  He said the Bruins can get the best and worst of Thomas in the same game and that the Bruins would be foolish to try and skate with the Canucks.  The only edge he gave the B's was in toughness as in his view, Vancouver's is false and Boston's is not.  No mention was made of Luongo's playoff shakiness.  Wasn't he pulled in favour of Schneider along the way?

It's just the bitterness of the Toronto media speaking.
    If Watters says that the Vancouver outs everything on the Bruins then he has zero credibility.
    Bruins have the best defense in Chara and probably the better goalie between the two.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

It appears I'd like to get Scott Morrison's phone number and ask him for next week's lottery numbers, because everything he said is exactly dead on.