Bruins vs Buffalo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Bruins vs Buffalo

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

'Dawg, what percentage of PP goals don't involve some luck?  Point shots tipped in, rebounds that aren't controlled or cleared.  Does it matter if it hits the goalie and bounces right to your guy?  How many people just yell shoooooooot when the PP is weak because they're looking for a lucky bounce.  Today, they got that bounce.

The PP has been very weak, it's true, but it is what it is right now.  Calgary, Edmonton, Washington, Florida, and  Winnipeg are in the top 13 in PP and out of the playoffs if they started today.

If you want to go ahead and keep making excuses for a 3 years of terrible execution of very crucial part of hockey that is up to you. I'm am not looking to compare the Bruins PP to other teams or that sometimes PP goals are from luck to make myself feel better. Yes the Bruins won the cup once with a terrible PP but they won't do it again.

San, I'll ask you the question I've been asking other posters. Do you not think the Bruins had some decent scoring chances on the PP last night? At least 3 times I saw them work the puck to a player alone in front only to see Miller make the stop. I thought I saw some progress last night. I'm not sticking up for Ward. I honestly don't care if he stays or goes but I truly thought the PP looked better last night early on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

It's not that I disagree with you Dez, that Bruins PP at times looks decent but it's not cutting it. Boston has too many talented offensive players for the PP not to work. "we won a cup two years ago with out a PP" isn't going to work anymore.

Do you think coaches who face the Bruins in the playoffs aren't going to watch Dale Hunters plan then execution from 2012 ?

Employ Tampa's 1-3-1 hybrid trap, put everyone everyone back in a box to block shots and then relax when the Bruins go 5 on 4 or 5 on 3. It's a joke and the Bruins brass promised it would be fixed.

"Nobody wants Ryder"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

If you want to go ahead and keep making excuses for a 3 years of terrible execution of very crucial part of hockey that is up to you. I'm am not looking to compare the Bruins PP to other teams or that sometimes PP goals are from luck to make myself feel better. Yes the Bruins won the cup once with a terrible PP but they won't do it again.

[/QUOTE

The Bruins didn't but the L.A. Kings did.

Back-to-back cup winners with terrrible playoff PP performances. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Remi72's comment:

Am I dreaming ?

LOL!

@Nite- Khudobin needs to work on his rebound control huh ?

Yep he sure does! He's putting it right back out to the slot area. An absolute no,no for a goalie to be doing. This happens though when you don't play in game situations. You can practise all you want, but the timing of a practise is never the same. He's not as floppy as I've seen him in the past though, so he's working on some things. He's got that blocker save down to a science. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

It's not that I disagree with you Dez, that Bruins PP at times looks decent but it's not cutting it. Boston has too many talented offensive players for the PP not to work. "we won a cup two years ago with out a PP" isn't going to work anymore.

Do you think coaches who face the Bruins in the playoffs aren't going to watch Dale Hunters plan then execution from 2012 ?

Employ Tampa's 1-3-1 hybrid trap, put everyone everyone back in a box to block shots and then relax when the Bruins go 5 on 4 or 5 on 3. It's a joke and the Bruins brass promised it would be fixed.

"Nobody wants Ryder"

San, I'm probably just being optimistic I guess because at this point I'm just pleased to see some progress. I totally understand your frustration though. Your outlook certainly makes sense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

"Nobody wants Ryder"

I do providing he comes without giving up much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I agree with almost everything here except can they win the cup again , of course they can! : )

It's one thing not being lucky, generating shots on net , getting traffic in from forcing the other goalie to work hard making saves but they just don't move the puck well, give the other team scoring chances and more often than not after they fail on the PP the other team comes back stronger.  We saw this when they played elite teams last year and a good example was the Canucks game.

The Bruins PP gives their opponents an extra weapon to work against the Bruins , is it enough to beat the Bruins ?  No !  none-the-less Bruins should not be helping the other team with their inept PP.   

Remember game7 against Tampa, no penalties being called ? If I was Guy Boucher I would have told one of my players to get a penalty on purpose .  The way the refs call games they eventually would have given one to Tampa.  Maybe the result could have been different.  I know I know I'm fetching Bruins would have still won the cup because they would have scored on their PP AND/OR killed off Tampa's PP. I'm just trying to prove a point on how a PP can affect a game and have some importance .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

"Nobody wants Ryder"

I do providing he comes without giving up much.

I'de take him , just without that cap hit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

It was often the case last year that a Bruins powerplay would end with the other team having all the momentum.  I don't think that's happened too many times this year.  I know it's not where they should be, but it's a step in the right direction.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

I too am feeling little better about the PP lately...they look like they're getting more chances/shots and considered this a turn in the right direction.

I went to the NHL.com site to see if I could compare shots per PP over the past years as a 'confirmation' that they're getting chances (PP SOG should have a higher degree of being considered a 'scoring chance'). This is what I found:

YEAR        PP%       PP Opps    PP Shots     PP Shots/Opp

2012-13   10.3%         39         46              1.18

2011-12   17.2%       250        328              1.31

2010-11   16.2%       265        391              1.48

2009-10   16.6%       265        378              1.43

2008-09   23.6%       313        476              1.52

2007-08   17.6%       319        403              1.26

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?season=20122013&gameType=2&viewName=powerPlayTime

Shots per opportunity are definitely down but this shows that the team had better quality shots in 08-09 and 07-08 because the success rate was higher with the same or fewer shots - especially the latter year.

What were we doing differently then than now? Was Savard the catalyst that the rest followed? Did he make both units better with his presense?

Food for thought over a lunch hour....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I disagree that the Bruins cant win a cup without a serious powerplay makeover.  75% of the game is 5 on 5, so if you can dominate 5 on 5, you can win the cup.  The Bruins did in 2011 and the Bruins have been thus far in 2013.

However, I also disagree with the premise that because we can win the cup without drastic PP improvement, we shouldnt be trying to fix it.  Saying that we are in first place and shouldnt be concerned is the very definition of complacency.  Look at Bellicheck for exampe, after games where the Pats blow out other teams, you'll see Bellicheck say , "there are some things I thought we could have done better."

This is the right approach.  I think Julien is a bit like Bill in this regard.  I cant remember the last cup winner who didnt get better as the season progressed.  We do not need to panick (obviously), but we should always look to get better.  It doesnt matter whether you start the season 10 - 0 - 0 or 5 - 3 -2.  Look to improve your weaknesses and exploit your strengths.  Thats what all good coaches do, and (despite what many of us initially believed, myself included) we have a good coach.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Maybe this belongs on the ex-girlfriends thread, but the line is on this one, so -

So far, we have people saying they DO want ex-gf Ryder.  They just don't want to pay him what he got on the market and they don't want to give anything up to get him.  If we wait long enough, I bet people would also say that they'd take him as long as he wasn't taking ice time from young players, didn't bump one of their favorite players off the PP, and could be sent to the minors and brought back for the playoffs.

In other words, you don't want him.

Sections
Shortcuts