Bruins vs. other elite teams

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Bruins vs. other elite teams

The B's are 5-6 against the other top teams in the NHL which I consider to be the following (not in any particular order):

Chicago

Pitt

San Jose

St. Louis

Anaheim

Colorado

They've been outscored 27-23 which isn't a bad differential really considering you are one game under .500 in this scenario. They've managed a GF of about 2 but have a GAA of 2.45 in these games. Other than the 5-2 loss against the Ducks and the 2-0 shutout against Colorado, every other loss was 3-2. They have one shutout of their own against Jumbo Joe et al. They've played well in pretty much all these games. Rask was not at his best for some of these losses if I remember correctly but overasll played well. They were victimized by a couple of freakish goals too.

This 11 game sample leaves me with the impression that they are just a smidge below where they need to be to bring the cup back home. What do you think?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sask-Bs-fan. Show Sask-Bs-fan's posts

Re: Bruins vs. other elite teams

I think the Bruins know the difference between regular season and playoffs. and the last few years it seems to really be apparent when they want to play hard and when they want to coast through some games.I am not saying they coasted through these games but they where not must wins by any means. Also there are a few o.t and shoot out losses in there as well. 

I think when the real season begins they will be right about par with these teams.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I believe they had a number of injuries in those games and also some players are coming along like LK and CS who seem to be getting better each game.  Iginla seems to be coming on, too.  I think they can take Pitt in a playoff series, and if they meet any of the other teams in the playoffs it would be in the SCF.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The B's are 5-6 against the other top teams in the NHL which I consider to be the following (not in any particular order):

Chicago

Pitt

San Jose

St. Louis

Anaheim

Colorado

They've been outscored 27-23 which isn't a bad differential really considering you are one game under .500 in this scenario. They've managed a GF of about 2 but have a GAA of 2.45 in these games. Other than the 5-2 loss against the Ducks and the 2-0 shutout against Colorado, every other loss was 3-2. They have one shutout of their own against Jumbo Joe et al. They've played well in pretty much all these games. Rask was not at his best for some of these losses if I remember correctly but overasll played well. They were victimized by a couple of freakish goals too.

This 11 game sample leaves me with the impression that they are just a smidge below where they need to be to bring the cup back home. What do you think?

[/QUOTE]

I think the B's stack up quite well considering 2 of those losses were SO's to St.Loo & Chi.They still have 1 game left against the Hawks in Boston and 1 game left against Colorado on the road.The loss to the Avalanche was 1-0 so will be interesting to see in the rematch.The Bruins split with the Ducks,took 2 out of 3 from Pitt and swept the Sharks.In a 7 game series i think the B's can win but sure won't be easy.They have to address the experienced d-man hole,i imagine that will come.A depth forward,not on his last legs ala Pandawful, would also be nice. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Being 5-6 against the "top teams" is nothing to be concerned about IMO. As previous posters highlighted, overtimes, injuries, timing.. plenty of reasons why that couldn't be flipped or even much better. Im not concerned, ever since 08-09 when they finished with 116 points and lost to Carolina, they seem to put much more emphasis where it belongs... winning in the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Sask-Bs-fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the Bruins know the difference between regular season and playoffs. and the last few years it seems to really be apparent when they want to play hard and when they want to coast through some games.I am not saying they coasted through these games but they where not must wins by any means. Also there are a few o.t and shoot out losses in there as well. 

I think when the real season begins they will be right about par with these teams.

[/QUOTE]

Sure they managed 12 out of 22 possible points despite going 5-6. But points don't matter in the playoffs. Wins and losses only.

I'm also considering that the B's will ratchet things up a notch for the playoffs but I think some of the other teams will as well. My gut and my eyes leave me with the impression that they are a notch below a couple of these teams (Chicago and Anaheim) and pretty even with the others. I think whatever they do before the trade deadline could be the difference for a deep run.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:[QUOTE]The B's are 5-6 against the other top teams in the NHL which I consider to be the following (not in any particular order):

This 11 game sample leaves me with the impression that they are just a smidge below where they need to be to bring the cup back home. What do you think? [/QUOTE]

Well put just a smidge. Also consider how well they played with some key injuries on that west coast road trip. Last nights education on the job is an indication of how well Cassidy and Sweeney are doing with prospects. Throw them in the fire and let them learn.

PC below...

“They’ve played well aside from the Montreal game (a 4-1 loss last week), and you’ve got to take that game as an outlier,” said general manager Peter Chiarelli. “We’re moving the puck well, the power play has been good, the [penalty killing] has been doing well and the goalies have been good. We’re on a good stretch now. We’ve got [26] games left now. We’re in a pretty good spot. "But my initial instinct was to add depth, and that remains."

“They’ve played well," he said. "I think the spotlight has been on the defense with [Seidenberg] going down, and they’ve adjusted and played well. I’ve always felt like eight ‘D’ is an optimal number to go into the stretch drive and the playoffs with. We’ve got [David] Warsofsky up and he’s done well, but we’re probably looking to get another NHL defenseman."

"A depth forward,not on his last legs ala Pandawful, would also be nice."

Not a lot to ask for from Pete.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chicago

Pitt

San Jose

St. Louis

Anaheim

Colorado

[/QUOTE]

I think the only team that matters on that list, really, is Pittsburgh.  At least, for this kind of thing.  I'd agree that the rest of those teams are the class of the league (Avs v Kings, I'll take the Kings, though), but regular season results in interconference games don't mean much to me.  And as Badhab said, they only play two of those teams on the way to the Cup at most.  If the Pingu are upset by someone in the Atlantic, the Bruins might only play one of those teams.

Then again, it's the playoffs, so worrying about how they stack up against the Western conference teams is sure to anger the hockey gods.  I'll be happy to see them face any of those Western teams.  I think they can beat any of them in 7 games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

One thing to think about regarding the term "elite teams".

They are called that for a reason. Not many teams have success against them. The Bruins fall in line with that. 

A record around .500 against those teams seems normal to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Using your formula of elite teams persay.

Chicago,Pitt,San Jose,St. Louis,Anaheim,Colorado and Boston

Take Chicago for example, their winning PCT against this group is below 500 as well. .428

Playing the west teams gives us a gut check of where we are if we are playing well injury free etc. Other wise not really. Also we should be more concerned about our own Conference. How do we play against Pittsburg, Montreal and Detroit. The Playoffs are a different animal. We are in good shape ready to battle anyone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In the new playoff system, step one is play well against Tampa Bay (check), Toronto (check) and Montreal (uh...) and maybe Detroit (check-ish).  Step two is Pittsburgh (check).  Step three is be prepared for one of the elite teams in the West.

Can't be looking too far ahead to who they'll play in the Finals or even in the East Finals.  That's a recipe to play slow and lose to the Scabs, play soft and lose to the Laffs, play dull and lose to the Wings, or play ... well, they aren't going to lose to Tampa Bay, but the TBags look set to finish in second in the division, so they may never face them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, the ones that worry me the most on that list are Chicago, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh.  Since Chicago and St Louis would only be faced in a Cup final, it's hard to worry about that now.  It's hard to imagine Crosby/Malkin being as quiet in a playoff series as they were last time, especially since Seidenberg seemed to be a key part of tying them in knots.  On the other hand, Letang and the Pittsburgh defense don't seem to be able to handle the Bruins offense and everyone is excited about exposing Fleury in the playoffs again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Maybe someone else can do the research but how many of those 11 games were on the road and with a depleted line up? They'll be fine, and when I think of the elite teasm in the NHL, I put the B's in that group.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In the new playoff system, step one is play well against Tampa Bay (check), Toronto (check) and Montreal (uh...) and maybe Detroit (check-ish).  Step two is Pittsburgh (check).  Step three is be prepared for one of the elite teams in the West.

Can't be looking too far ahead to who they'll play in the Finals or even in the East Finals.  That's a recipe to play slow and lose to the Scabs, play soft and lose to the Laffs, play dull and lose to the Wings, or play ... well, they aren't going to lose to Tampa Bay, but the TBags look set to finish in second in the division, so they may never face them.

[/QUOTE]
    They could also fall back to a wild card position if the Larfs and Scabs keep winning.The match ups will change right down to the wire.At any rate, if the B's get the TBags in the first round all the better.

Sections
Shortcuts