B's have recalled Ryan Spooner from Providence on an emergency basis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: B's have recalled Ryan Spooner from Providence on an emergency basis

the best players are the players with both.  Natural talent and work ethic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Couldnt agree more Dez, another example is Steven Stamkos going to a shooting instructor year round and the instructor making him do some of the drill outside in his full gear.

The best players are usually the hardest working players on their teams. Natural talent is only half of the battle. Not the same sport but Peyton Manning was known to be a practice freak in college. That's a big reason why he was such a good pro.

I agree that natural talent is only half the battle, but dont dismiss the fact that its half the battle.

How can I say it's half the battle and also dismiss it? Isn't my saying it the exact opposite of dismissing it?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

If inserted into the lineup I'd like to see him play with Bergeron and Seguin to see what he can do. Offence is his game. 

On a side note, if he plays I believe he will be the first of Badhab's Fantastic Four ( also Knight, Toffoli and MacFarland ) to have made it to the NHL.

I can easily see Spooner as being one of those guys who adjusts and does better in the NHL than he did the AHL.

Note:  I am not a professional hockey scout, I only act like one on this forum.

He's been good in the AHL.  After a bit of an adjustment period in the beginning of the season, he's been on a tear, and is up to nearly a point a game.  Why do people act like he's flopped in the AHL.  He leads the team in +/- with 12.

His offense is ready.  The only question is his he strong enough on the puck and has he learned to be a bit more defensively responsible.

Okay, two questions.

No, he hasn't flopped in the AHL, true.  What I said still holds, that he [Edit will] might do better in the NHL than in the AHL.  Look at Marchand, in his full or near full seasons in the AHL and NHL you will see he's scored more goals in those NHL seasons than he did in the AHL.

He's almost a point per game player in the AHL and leads the team in +/- by a large margin. I like your posts, but I honestly think that saying that he "hasnt flopped" is an understatement to some degree.  I would say that hes been good in the AHL especially considering that its his first year there.  

That being the case, to imply that he would be better in the NHL than he is in teh AHL, would imply that he either a) becomes a pt per game player or b) becomes better defensively.  Either way, thats an NHL all-star (which I think he will be one day).

Even tho he might be at a point per game in the A, from the few games I've seen he hasn't been that noticeable.  He hasn't been making mistakes so I didn't notice him that way.  He's been making good consistent plays which is good, but again you don't notice him.  On the first or second line in the AHL he kind of blends in.  On the 3rd or 4th line in the NHL he might do a lot better.  A lot of games can be decided by the 3rd & 4th line guys.  I think this was similar to what happened with Marchand.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Sorry San but why in the world would anyone think you can't teach "hands and speed"? http://www.turcottehockey.com/

Should have read the testimonials first lol. I've seen really hard workers go through hockey drill after hockey drill and were still terrible at both skating and shooting.

What's the % of players coming out of Canadian Juniors that make it in the NHL ?

What happened to the players that went to power skating classes or classes that you suggest but didn't make it in the NHL ?

Got to have the talent 1st and then yes hard work helps.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

However, I must disclose, that I didnt think that Marchand would be as good as he is.

So I dont have a great record assessing prospects.

Anyone that says they called Marchand being the player he is today is talking out of their butt. So I'd say you still have a good shot at calling some prospects. Marchand is 100% heart, dedication, and hard work. Those things you can't not predict. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

However, I must disclose, that I didnt think that Marchand would be as good as he is.

Anyone that says they called Marchand being the player he is today is talking out of their butt. So I'd say you still have a good shot at calling some prospects. Marchand is 100% heart, dedication, and hard work. Those things you can't not predict. 

Lot's of people predicted Marchand would be a fine hockey player considering he was terrific in both the Q-league and in the WJC's (2 Gold medals). But go ahead and continue telling yourself that nobody knew (even your secret websites?).  The idea that you can't predict who's going be be a dedicated, hard worker is absurd. Marchand was a dedicated, hard worker ever since he was a pee-wee player. His "heart" has never been questioned. This is what Hockey's Future had to say about him.......

Talent Analysis

Marchand is a little spitfire who doesn't know the meaning of the word quit. An agitator in the corners, he likes to get his nose dirty and battles for the puck. He has some solid moves in the offensive zone, but occasionally gets himself into trouble by trying to get too fancy when a safe and simple play would do. A quick skater, he'll have to continue to overcome his slight stature for the rest of his career.

Future

Marchand has the skill to be a scoring line forward, however his size (or, lack thereof) will always be an issue.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I see your points Dez but let me put it a different way. If I went back and worked on power skating such as the drills that you gave an example of, coupled with hitting the gym working on my legs- I wouldn't become faster than the fastest skater in my beer league because I believe no matter what I do genetically he is built different.

Grabner, for example, can turn up a notch mentally to seperate from the fastest defenseman in the NHL becuse genetically he is built differntly. I thought more about the "hands" comment and believe you are right that a hockey player can make their stick handling much better through exercise or drills, not sure about the deking (mental genetics) and getting a shot off quicker (but that can be improved though). Meaning you'll get better but not Gretzky or Mario better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I see your points Dez but let me put it a different way. If I went back and worked on power skating such as the drills that you gave an example of, coupled with hitting the gym working on my legs- I wouldn't become faster than the fastest skater in my beer league because I believe no matter what I do genetically he is built different.

Grabner, for example, can turn up a notch mentally to seperate from the fastest defenseman in the NHL becuse genetically he is built differntly. I thought more about the "hands" comment and believe you are right that a hockey player can make their stick handling much better through exercise or drills, not sure about the deking (mental genetics) and getting a shot off quicker (but that can be improved though). Meaning you'll get better but not Gretzky or Mario better.

San, you're absolutely correct in that a talentless player can work harder than everyone else and still get nowhere. I'm simply saying the talent is only part of what it takes to succeed. Gretzky and Mario are great examples for what you're saying though . Others can spend twelve hours a day working at it and never be that good. Those guys are special. Cheers. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

Lot's of people predicted Marchand would be a fine hockey player considering he was terrific in both the Q-league and in the WJC's (2 Gold medals). But go ahead and continue telling yourself that nobody knew (even your secret websites?).  The idea that you can't predict who's going be be a dedicated, hard worker is absurd. Marchand was a dedicated, hard worker ever since he was a pee-wee player. His "heart" has never been questioned. This is what Hockey's Future had to say about him.......

Talent Analysis

Marchand is a little spitfire who doesn't know the meaning of the word quit. An agitator in the corners, he likes to get his nose dirty and battles for the puck. He has some solid moves in the offensive zone, but occasionally gets himself into trouble by trying to get too fancy when a safe and simple play would do. A quick skater, he'll have to continue to overcome his slight stature for the rest of his career.

Future

Marchand has the skill to be a scoring line forward, however his size (or, lack thereof) will always be an issue.

He was drafted in 2006 that was written in 2009 three years after his draft class hardly predicting a top 6 forward anywhere in the analysis. So nice try made next time by the way you were one of the people on this forum who said last season that hockey futures was a garbage site. Kind of funny how you now try and use it to benefit your argument. And if anyone knew Marchand was going to be the player he is then why did he go in the third round. Third round for a top six forward would be a steal. Nice try at an argument try to do better next time Son. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Couldnt agree more Dez, another example is Steven Stamkos going to a shooting instructor year round and the instructor making him do some of the drill outside in his full gear.

The best players are usually the hardest working players on their teams. Natural talent is only half of the battle. Not the same sport but Peyton Manning was known to be a practice freak in college. That's a big reason why he was such a good pro.

I agree that natural talent is only half the battle, but dont dismiss the fact that its half the battle.

How can I say it's half the battle and also dismiss it? Isn't my saying it the exact opposite of dismissing it?

This conversation started because I said that Spooner has natural talent, which is somethign that you cant teach.  In your next post, you mentioned a bunch of NHL successes who became great due to hard work.

Im not disagreeing that hard work and dedication is as important as talent.  But I honestly dont know anything about Spooner's work ethic.  I can; however, see with my eyes that he has the talent.

I think that we would both agree that he has the talent, and it all comes down to whether he's going to put in the time in the weight room and on the ice.  Its hard for me to imagine a guy who is so close to breaking through and is unwilling to bite the bullet and spend the next 2-3 years of his life working out and practicing his butt off year round!!  However, I do know that there are many examples of these cases (Felix Doubront , at 23 years old, was given a shot to crack the Red Sox rotation , but reported to camp out of shape.  Really ?!?!?!?!)

I dont know anything about Spooner's work ethic (off the ice).  I honestly believe that you have to take second hand information re: work ethic w/ a grain of salt.  The only way to know for sure is to either know the guy or to know his teammates.  Unfortunately, I know neither. :/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

My short point is that you can indeed teach speed and hands as that's what stickhandling and power skating schools are all about. San is correct in saying it takes natural skill to be the fastest or smoothest though. I'm also as pumped as anyone to see Spooner play. I only hope it could happen without a Marchand injury. Cheers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

My short point is that you can indeed teach speed and hands as that's what stickhandling and power skating schools are all about. San is correct in saying it takes natural skill to be the fastest or smoothest though. I'm also as pumped as anyone to see Spooner play. I only hope it could happen without a Marchand injury. Cheers.

Completely agree.  Good point.  My short point was that Spooner has the natural talent and therefore has teh potential to be one of the fastest/smoothest.  Cheers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Spooner to start on 4th line and Campbell replace Marchand.

I have to criticize Julien here he's always too careful,  why not put Spooner on the wing with Bergeron and Seguin ??? instead limited time on a totally new 4th line .
    Monrtreal is already taking this game like it's a game7 , a must must win and wanted to show off their new team toughness.  Personally I would have preferred seeing Spooner with more offensive guys. 

Really too bad the Bruins top goal getter is not playing tonight seing they haven't lit up the redlight lately.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Beyond talent, the other thing you can't teach is intelligence. There have been players who have relied on their brains more than talent to establish a career for themselves, such as using their smarts to understand the proper positioning and how to predict a play. A player like Mark Stuart for example, has made a good career for himself through hard work, but also using his mind. He's not the most talented player by any stretch, his hands aren't great, and his speed lacks, but he's established a career for himself by understanding the strategy of the sport and translating that into strong positional play. If you're dedicated enough, and know what skill sets you DO possess, and how to best use them, then there's more than one way to get to, and stay in, the show.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Nah - this makes sense to me. Why force the kid into his first game *and* give him a new position to worry about? At least on the 4th line, he can do what he does best, albeit with limited minutes. I'm sure he'll get a look as center of the 3rd line here and there after Kelly has a penalty kill, too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

I have to criticize Julien here he's always too careful,  why not put Spooner on the wing with Bergeron and Seguin ??? instead limited time on a totally new 4th line .
    Monrtreal is already taking this game like it's a game7 , a must must win and wanted to show off their new team toughness.  Personally I would have preferred seeing Spooner with more offensive guys. 

Really too bad the Bruins top goal getter is not playing tonight seing they haven't lit up the redlight lately.

It likely has more to do with Julien being more comfortable with Campbell's defensive work and maybe rewarding him with more ice time. I think you might see CJ move Spooner up with the Bergy line if he doesn't seem too overwhelmed. I personally would love to see it also.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

BsL, I won't be surprised to see Spooner get some spot duty on the second line throughout the game. Fear not mon ami.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

It likely has more to do with Julien being more comfortable with Campbell's defensive work and maybe rewarding him with more ice time. I think you might see CJ move Spooner up with the Bergy line if he doesn't seem too overwhelmed. I personally would love to see it also.

Another positive: maybe Campbell's physicality can create some space for Seguin. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I like Campbell, but on the second line? Really? There's Peverley, Kelly,  and Spooner who are all better suited for a top 6 fill in spot, imo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Beyond talent, the other thing you can't teach is intelligence. There have been players who have relied on their brains more than talent to establish a career for themselves, such as using their smarts to understand the proper positioning and how to predict a play. A player like Mark Stuart for example, has made a good career for himself through hard work, but also using his mind. He's not the most talented player by any stretch, his hands aren't great, and his speed lacks, but he's established a career for himself by understanding the strategy of the sport and translating that into strong positional play. If you're dedicated enough, and know what skill sets you DO possess, and how to best use them, then there's more than one way to get to, and stay in, the show.

Spoke to my scout pal about exactly that the other day Red. We agreed that the smarter players don't waste energy out there because of the point you made. Uncanny ability to read plays and take better routes. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

I like Campbell, but on the second line? Really? There's Peverley, Kelly,  and Spooner who are all better suited for a top 6 fill in spot, imo.

Its likely as simple as CJ wants to keep the Kelly line in tact due to the fact that Bourque scored last game and they might be gelling a bit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Dez, if we see Sponner on the 2nd line it might be because Bruins are losing ; )

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Do you think we will see him on the PP?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Dez, if we see Sponner on the 2nd line it might be because Bruins are losing ; )

I think it's a distinct possibility provided he took some PP reps in practice. I would think CJ will likely try to utilize his strongest attributes.

Sections
Shortcuts