B's not playing for Rask

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bhanlon156. Show bhanlon156's posts

B's not playing for Rask

I'd like to see KPD or Fluto  try to find out why the B's just aren't playing in front of Tuukka.  Is he that unpopular or do the guys just like Timmay better?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: B's not playing for Rask

In Response to B's not playing for Rask:
    I'd like to see KPD or Fluto  try to find out why the B's just aren't playing in front of Tuukka.  Is he that unpopular or do the guys just like Timmay better?
    Posted by bhanlon156

Seems the opposite was the case last year so I'm sure it's nothing personal with either goalie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

timma is the hot one right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't buy that there is any intent, conspiracy, or that it is anything more than chance.

But, it seems to be very trendy on these boards right now to bang on Rask, and anyone who has watched the games so far this year would have to admit that there has been a noticeable difference in the Bruins play when Rask has started and when TT has started.

Again, I still think that random chance is the only explenantion, but it is uncanny and an interesting thing to look at.  It started with the two games in Prague which were like night and day.  Now a month later we get 7 goals for Timmy on Wednesday and 1 goal for Rask on Thursday.  It's puzzling.

I'm thrilled for Timmy, but I feel bad for Rask, who deserves better.  Hope people remember a Vezina worthy season just one year ago...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

0 for his last 8 games...

Team might have lost confidence in him...

Too bad for Rask because he actually needs to play to develop in the NHL...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Bruins should likely trade Rask if they are planning to keep TT as their starter...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camperpete. Show Camperpete's posts

Another silly and stupid post.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

What was so silly and stupid about it ?

Rask isn't going to develop sitting on a bench.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

RMiller- why are you so obsessed with Boston?  Have you ever even been here?  I have been to Montreal and found the folks to be quite hospitable and friendly.  The way you conduct yourself out here does not reflect well of you. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

12 Carey Price MTL 15 15 394 .923 9 5   1 33 2.19 427 2 0 1 0 902:36
    13 Tuukka Rask BOS 5 4 143 .923 0 4   1 12 2.75 155 0 0 0 0 261:50
    14 Jimmy Howard DET 10 10 260 .919 8 1   1 23 2.26 283 1 0 0 0 609:37

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

For some reason I could not add my thoughts after the table.  I found these stats intresting and they certainly support the idea that the team is not playing well in front of Rask.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?component=completeSavePercentageLeaderList&page=statshome&service=direct

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

At this point, there might be some of the "gripping his stick too tightly" syndrome going on, but on a team level.  They want to win one for Rask so badly that they are trying too hard.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: B's not playing for Rask:
    At this point, there might be some of the "gripping his stick too tightly" syndrome going on, but on a team level.  They want to win one for Rask so badly that they are trying too hard.
    Posted by DrCC

No, no, no. They obviously dislike Rask. Patrice Bergeron even said on the radio the other day that he dresses funny, like a y'know, European. Can't trust them Euros.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Bruins should likely trade Rask if they are planning to keep TT as their starter...
    Posted by RMiller87

Not too sure if you are being sarcastic here or not.

If you are not, what makes you think the Bruins would not instantly pull a back muscle laughing entertaining the thought of trading Rask? He costs virtually nothing against the cap, is phenominally solid positionally, great reflexes, mentally tough and only has about 8 more years of improvement before he hits his prime and plays the most important position in the game.

..as long as I am posting to you, as a habs fan, why do you post so much on boston forums? I would not be able to stand looking at habs posts for more than 2.4 seconds.   no offense, well maybe just a little, lol.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Rask is going through something similar to TT did last year.  His stats are ok(not great), but he is not winning. 

It is not all about the team not playing for him- he is not playing sharp.  He had a good look at that 1st MTL goal thurs nite and the last one went in off his back...Rask is the guy of the future, but lets not overlook his sloppy play.  TR has been pretty immune from criticism for some reason.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good to see duinne is in a sarcastic mode and what a pleasure to "ignore Miller. Timmy is now settling in as good as he was in his vezina year, but, Rask is also capable of as good results, if not better, because of style. The Bruins TEAM has not played well [ 60 minutes well] for Rask. The best was against Halak and the Blues. Against Montreal they did run out of gas, one more disruption for the computer geeks generated schedule. I once read where these brainiacs are from academia, can we send them back?? Also, Halak and Price were very good , and the Bruins defense [ no names] coughed up a few in both games like when someone forgot Gionta. Do not understand not using Arniel in place of Paille. Perhaps Chia hopes Paille will bring more in trade[ draft pick] but Paille is so bad they will have to give him away or to Providence.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Sophomore slump. 

That's all it is.  That, and teams now know that the only real way to beat Tuukka is to go high (excepting, of course, all those ways you beat any goalie - screens and perfect cross-crease passes etc.).  It only works if he's not on his game, but it can work.  When Rask is pressing, he's down early, but more importantly his body isn't as vertical as it has to be for him to be successful.  If he's not ramrod straight, if he leans forward or slouches, there's an inch or two.  Gomez's goal was a case in point.  He had to shrug at the shot because he was forward, not up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Good observations. I did not like the way he looked in the shoot out against the Blues. Talk about getting smoked!!!! Boyes made him look like it was his first day between the pipes. I never expected that out of Rask after playing a great game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I love when people try to explain goaltender woes on the skaters not playing for him.  Considering the #1 factor for how much money a player will make is how many points he scores, that would be some deep rooted hated by many people.

Horton:  Patrice, I just don't like that Rask kid at all.

Bergeron:  Yeah, last year we all intentionally choked when Thomas played, but over the summer, he took us all out for pizza one night, so we've decided to like him again.

Lucic:  Guys, I really need to show some production to get my career going after a miserable year, but you know, I hate that kid, so I'm in.

Rask's numbers are due to Rask's poor play.  Nothing else.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Sophomore slump.  That's all it is.  That, and teams now know that the only real way to beat Tuukka is to go high (excepting, of course, all those ways you beat any goalie - screens and perfect cross-crease passes etc.).  It only works if he's not on his game, but it can work.  When Rask is pressing, he's down early, but more importantly his body isn't as vertical as it has to be for him to be successful.  If he's not ramrod straight, if he leans forward or slouches, there's an inch or two.  Gomez's goal was a case in point.  He had to shrug at the shot because he was forward, not up.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Completely disagree. Slump indicates his play is down, just because his stats are down does not mean his play follows suit.

If you really want to critique Tuukka on a a bouncing backhand in traffic that goes in off the post, I don't agree with you here either. Its a traffic shot, I'm assuming he was lower (not in a tall butterfly position) because he needed to see the shot/follow the play. If he was trying to make himself taller, that wouldn't have helped any because the shot was not high, it was mid, the lower you are the wider you can be. But honestly, It was a backhand shot (by far the toughest to read as a goalie) that looked like it had a weird bounce in it and it was off the post, so it could not have been better placed, I don't fault Tuukka here, try the D. The only goal that should not have been was Subbans, that was a bad goal, after that Tuukka was fine.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Yeah, I really don't buy the argument about the goalie's popularity level affecting the performance. They're professionals and Rask could be the biggest <insert expletive here> in the world and it shouldn't make a difference.

The game against the Blues they came up against a team playing great with Halak in the midst of a super hot and super lucky streak. Against Montreal they looked a bit tired but they had played that tough game the night before then travelled back from PIT to play the next day. You'd have to be a robot not to feel the effects of that.

Rask has been unlucky at times and not up to the high standards he set last year at others. There's no conspiracy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: B's not playing for Rask : Completely disagree. Slump indicates his play is down, just because his stats are down does not mean his play follows suit. If you really want to critique Tuukka on a a bouncing backhand in traffic that goes in off the post, I don't agree with you here either. Its a traffic shot, I'm assuming he was lower (not in a tall butterfly position) because he needed to see the shot/follow the play. If he was trying to make himself taller, that wouldn't have helped any because the shot was not high, it was mid, the lower you are the wider you can be. But honestly, It was a backhand shot (by far the toughest to read as a goalie) that looked like it had a weird bounce in it and it was off the post, so it could not have been better placed, I don't fault Tuukka here, try the D. The only goal that should not have been was Subbans, that was a bad goal, after that Tuukka was fine.   
    Posted by MDsizzle

Nice use of buzzwords!  I wish he could make himself taller.  That way he could cover more of the net while playing 95% of the game on his knees.

Sophomore slump?  No.  The team hanging him out to dry?  No.

The problem is that over the summer, teams watched tons of video of Rask.  They all noticed the same thing:  He's down more than he's up.  Shoot high.  If shots start ringing in high, Rask will attempt to make adjustments, leaving other areas for easy goals.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Bruins have scored 1.8 goals per when Rask starts that's garbage and a telling stat they did not possess the puck at all. .923 Save % is bad ? No way Boston has not played well in front of him (Yes that means everything!) plus Julien sat him too long. Uncle Fester shook Rask's confidence by sitting him too long after the Yotes loss you can't do that to young goalies but Claude panics doesn't he ?

Julien has started to shorten the bench lately but he really needs to figure out what Tortorelli and Martin figured out quickly or Rask will face more 40 shot nights.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Let's see...team has a 3-0 lead in the 1st period of a game 7 at home after the Great Tuuka had been the losing goalie in three straight games. Did he make a game-saving save at any point in those last 4 games? Did he? It seemed the Flyers scored when they wanted to score. It was a team collapse, no question, and one that occurred after that injury to Krecji....But, a team is going to rally around a guy who makes acrobatic saves and makes the amazing stop to keep his team around. Thomas did that even in the Pittsburgh game when he allowed 4 goals..constantly making some point-blank, great saves, and giving the team an emotional lift.

Thomas is an energy goalie, Rask is an efficient goalie. The team seems to feed off of energy more than straight efficiency. They need a guy who can stop the 1-on-none. Rask has been unable to make the "big save" often in his funk. Fluky goals go in against guys who are struggling, and that's what has happened to Tuuka.

Thomas has won the No. 1 job and it's time to ride the wave with Tim, knowing maybe Rask will return to form. He is an outstanding young goalie, but I can see a lack of confidence for the team when he plays. It's obvious. Thomas is a veteran and it shows.

Sections
Shortcuts