B's Rangers Game Thread - Measuring Stick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

B's Rangers Game Thread - Measuring Stick

For me this is the game of the season and a defining point in the schedule. This has opportunity all over it.

They are playing at home where they the B's are 18-9-2, they have to defend home ice. They both have the same amount of home wins at 18, there are 3 teams in the league better at defending home ice.

The rangers are +43 in goal difference, B's are +64, good stats, Rangers have allowed 10 fewer goals, B's have scored 31 more goals.

Both love to scrap, rangers at 46 B's at 42, top 2 in the league, it could be a donnybrook at the gah-den.

B's have a better PP, 18.8, Rangers at 14.4, both are average league stats

Rangers have a better PK at 87.2, B's at 85.1

5 on 5 F/A B's are one of the best at 1.51, Rangers at 1.33

Penalties per game - 15.9 for B's, 14.2 for Rangers, bottom 5 of the league, like I said it could be a donnybrook if it gets chippy

B's are one the best 3rd period teams in the league - 76 goals, Rangers at 32 goals in the first period are amongst the worst, hopefully B's get out front early.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: B's Rangers Game Thread - Measuring Stick

This is a big game no doubt, but they do play the Rags 2 more times on their ice. While losing the 1st game in o.t on a pp goal is nothing to be ashamed of, winning on Tuesday would be great but not season defining. Winning for the sake of beating 2 good teams in a row and getting back on a streak would be nice.It would also be beneficial to the B's to not let the Rags get 9 pts up in the east.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Game 54 of 82 is "the defining point of the schedule"? 

Somehow I doubt it.

What the Bruins lose? Does that mean their prospects for coming out of the East are effectively over?

Again, I doubt it.

It's one game.  Just like 82 others, it's great if you win, bad if you lose.

The real stuff starts 2nd week of April.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to B's Rangers Game Thread - Measuring Stick:

B's are one the best 3rd period teams in the league -

Posted by soups-7

This is one thing that concerns me.  The Bruins rolled to a huge impressive number throughout most of the season in third period stats.  However, since the Carolina game, in 3rd periods they have won 4 third periods, lost 5, and tied 4 third periods. That means they failed to win 9 out of 14 3rd periods.

This is pretty ordinary. The team went 6-7 in those games, so you can't say they were protecting leads. The Bruins total numbers will cause every analysis for every game to include "the Bruins are a great third period team"  but these days they are a pretty mediocre 3rd period team.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I think every game can be considered a measuring stick from here on out.  PC is assessing needs and determining which players/prospects/picks that he has are expendable.  Obviously, these decisions are based on game performances, but he needs to avoid knee jerk reactions when the team loses.  Is he happy with his core players?  Personally, I think so, and foresee only minor acquisition(s) between now and the deadline.  We'll find out for sure within the next two weeks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

yep, just remember the way of the 2008-09 bruins

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

the first Ranger game was the best game, so far. The Rangers are becoming more confidant as they continue to win, so it will be a great game to watch. Tuuka should get the start as he played very well in the first game. Kreji should be back with Lucic and Peverly. the weaknes could be Pouliot on the 3rd line; and the overall skill level on the Rangers 4th line led by Mike Rupp, which let's them play against top lines. This then let's the Rangers top lines play vs. Campbell, which could be a mismatch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Just what the Bs need really, a challenge from a team like the rangers, very true to fact a good measuring stick, especially with impending deals in the next 2 weeks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Rangers play with extreme passion and desperation every single game, the way the Bruins did in the playoffs last year.  The only problem is, you can't do that for an 82-game season and keep it going for 4 rounds of playoffs. I think they will burn out. Claude lets his team chill a bit this time of year, mixes up the lines and gives them a mental break. If Krejci and Lucic are not playing on the same line, if Chara and Seidenberg are not playing a shut-down role together, do not think that the Bruins are putting their best foot forward. The measuring stick will come if they meet in the playoffs, but my gut feeling is that the Rangers won't make it out of the first or second round.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

interesting perspective Oates. This Ranger team is talented, and much of the year has been without their best defenseman. Torts will not allow them to coast, and Richards is a very steady influence on all of the forward lines, which allows Dubinsky, Callahan and Gaborik to play their game without constant pressure. Mike Rupp has provided experience and toughness, and relieved the big kid from B.C. so he can also play with less pressure. the only weak point might be the inexperience on Defense, but their youth and skill can overcome that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I hope Chara measures another blast right off Callahan's other ankle to complete the set. When the Bruins dispatch the Rags in the playoffs this season it wouldn't matter if NY had swept the regular season series.

I hate all New York sports teams!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I'm feeling a shutout of the Rangers. 2-0 or 3-0, with Chara scoring a goal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: B's Rangers Game Thread - Measuring Stick:
    I'm feeling a shutout of the Rangers. 2-0 or 3-0, with Chara scoring a goal.
    Posted by Bisson1

Almost perfect with the predictions, Bisson. 

Missed it by that much.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

And the Vancouver troll, Null's uncle apparently, can't wait to get here after a loss.

Sad.

Can't we ban these clowns?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: B's Rangers Game Thread - Measuring Stick : Almost perfect with the predictions, Bisson.  Missed it by that much.
    Posted by 49-North

51 years old, a fan of a different team and proclaiming to "just wanting to talk hockey on here" . Maybe you can converse with null or cactus tony as this is something similar they'd post ? A little old to be trolling don't you think ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Maybe a troll comment, but it was correct. IMO this was a frustration to watch. I expected Tuuka to start because of his good work the last Ranger game. Claude obviously felt otherwise, and we watched a Tim Thomas ho-hum game, with a few good stops. I vocally supported Tim's independant stance, but, objectively, it may very well have become a mental distraction. Of course, Corvo, is the goat, but Tim should have stopped the 3rd goal. It was also a poor game by Chara which is unusual. It was an excellent game by the Rangers who played defense first with the skilled players constantly helping their defense down low. Torts won it all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Hey guys, go easy on 49-North...I did not think he was trollng (he's been here talking hockey for a while now) when he made his comment. In fact, I was thinking the same thing. Just a little good natured kidding.

I didn't like the results last night either, but to me it was not unexpected the way the B's are(not) scoring.

Their performance - I believe - will help PC sort out his tradable parts in this machine we call the Boston Bruins.

Out: Corvo, Caron.
    In: ?

No matter what we say, Horton's loss is upsetting the apple cart in regard to our line combinations and overall balance.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

bogie6 - TT played well enough to win last night...2nd goal was off Chara (nothing he could have done there) the last one was a great shot on a two on one.

Lundqvist on the other hand made some great stops, but was also a little lucky too.

He was beaten on the non-goal (although it was barely outside the post) and had no clue during the scramble when Looch thought it was in and Chara shot it off the back of Hendrick's helmet. there were other good chances, but shots were blocked or the B's mishandled the puck too much.

The score could easily have been 3-2 or OT but our hockey mojo isn't happening now.

And I agree that I think the Rangers remind me of the B's last year but think that they're peaking too early and cannot keep it going until the end.

We, on the other hand, need to make a statement on this road trip and right the ship heading down the stretch. If they can get even a small portion of their chances to go in I think we'll start seeing the swagger come back just in time for the playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think losing game #54 is that big of a deal.  But here is what is:  After watching the Rangers play the Bruins twice in the past couple of weeks, I am convinced that they are the better team.  Not to say the Bruins don't pick up their game and beat the Rangers in a 7 game series, but based on those two games, you've gotta be concerned.

I thought the Rangers out-hustled and outhit the Bruins significantly, they're just as tough, their defensmen look more consistent and deeper, and their goalie looks better.  They look like more of a team too.  Kind of the way the Bruins did last year.  So, I think this can all be overcome, but only if the Bruins find a way to elevate their game, top to bottom.  No more silly distractions either.  Krejci and/or Seguin have got to start being more dominant offensive players too.  The Bruins depth looks awfully thin when those guys can't score.

Anyhow, the Rangers are the best team I've seen this year.  I think last night's game was more about how good the Rangers are and less about how bad the Bruins are.  But, the Bruins need to get better, period.  Pounding the Habs tonight would be a wonderful start.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

I don't think losing game #54 is that big of a deal.  But here is what is:  After watching the Rangers play the Bruins twice in the past couple of weeks, I am convinced that they are the better team.  Not to say the Bruins don't pick up their game and beat the Rangers in a 7 game series, but based on those two games, you've gotta be concerned. I thought the Rangers out-hustled and outhit the Bruins significantly, they're just as tough, their defensmen look more consistent and deeper, and their goalie looks better.  They look like more of a team too.  Kind of the way the Bruins did last year.  So, I think this can all be overcome, but only if the Bruins find a way to elevate their game, top to bottom.  No more silly distractions either.  Krejci and/or Seguin have got to start being more dominant offensive players too.  The Bruins depth looks awfully thin when those guys can't score. Anyhow, the Rangers are the best team I've seen this year.  I think last night's game was more about how good the Rangers are and less about how bad the Bruins are.  But, the Bruins need to get better, period.  Pounding the Habs tonight would be a wonderful start.
    Posted by Fletcher1

right on fletch... the only team i've seen this year (sans carolina!) that i think could beat the b's in 7 is the rangers. it'll be interesting to see what additions pc and cam make to combat the nyr. of course there is a long way to go, and injuries to key players may also change the landscape. but as of today, the rangers are the better team. i also believe that henrick may be in the bruins head at this point(they have a REAL hard time scoring on him). as we all know a hot goalie can change a series. i hope he(hl) tears his groin personally.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I think what these games do, more than anything, is to inform team management of the state of the team, as we head towards the deadline.  I'm quite certain that  30 sets of GMs and Coaches are huddling on a daily basis, and scouts are carefully examining the video of potential playoff opponents probing for weaknesses. It's not important to beat the Rangers in Gm 54, but at some point in the playoffs, (if things go as we think), the B's & the Rangers will meet.

The 'big frenzy', I think, is going to be about Nash.  As soon as word went out that he was 'on the market', the radio call-ins and chat boards in VanCity lit up with any number of crazy trade proposals. 

Regarding player movement, there are a lot of things that teams CAN'T do, with regard to their own rosters, until the playoffs get here, because to move certain players from the farm up to the big team and vice versa (usually players with a certain number of games of NHL experience) would expose them to waiver wire plucking.  When the playoffs start, the waiver procedures cease, and teams can do whatever they want regarding their minor league players.  I know that, for the Canucks, Steven Reinprecht  (a depth forward) is one of those players. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

At least they responded in the first, good forecheck led to a goal.

They are getting outplayed though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

At least they responded in the first, good forecheck led to a goal. They are getting outplayed though.
    Posted by soups-7

Neither team is looking like a Cup favourite so far. Lots of sloppy play.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillsBruins. Show WillsBruins's posts

Concearned about the trend that they have trying to pass "through" players.
    Used to it from Corvo but even Bergeron and Chara this period.

Sections
Shortcuts