Budaj

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Budaj

In Response to Re: Budaj:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : Would you not agree?  Had they had a full d-core we likely wouldnt have played them in round one. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    No Shupe, I really expect them to have a tough go of it this year. I think the Canes and NJ will make it tough for them to get in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : No Shupe, I really expect them to have a tough go of it this year. I think the Canes and NJ will make it tough for them to get in.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

New Jersey is better for sure this year around.  But Montreal will always be in the middle to late of the top 8.  Are they under the Isles and Leafs?  You betting Philly holds serve or drops?  Caps will be the same.  Pitt is well coached and will be good.

They really lost nothing other than Wiz.  They added Cole who is a fireplug.  They added on the back end.  Price/PK are a year older.  They get Markov and Darius Jr on the back end along with Campoli. To me that sounds as though they may have a better season.  Plus Maryin is a great hockey mind.  Coaching sometimes is just as important as the players. 

Best they will do is the division title no higher than 3.  Worst is likely 8th maybe 9th.  and I see them settling in around 6th.  Where did Carolina get better? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : New Jersey is better for sure this year around.  But Montreal will always be in the middle to late of the top 8.  Are they under the Isles and Leafs?  You betting Philly holds serve or drops?  Caps will be the same.  Pitt is well coached and will be good. They really lost nothing other than Wiz.  They added Cole who is a fireplug.  They added on the back end.  Price/PK are a year older.  They get Markov and Darius Jr on the back end along with Campoli. To me that sounds as though they may have a better season.  Plus Maryin is a great hockey mind.  Coaching sometimes is just as important as the players.  Best they will do is the division title no higher than 3.  Worst is likely 8th maybe 9th.  and I see them settling in around 6th.  Where did Carolina get better? 
    Skinner and Staal a year older and Kaberle will outscore Corvo by a wide margin. I also take Ward over Price any day of the week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : Skinner and Staal a year older and Kaberle will outscore Corvo by a wide margin. I also take Ward over Price any day of the week.

Include shots on the net turned down and defensive miscues also.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : Include shots on the net turned down and defensive miscues also.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    Will you be surprised if Kaberle gets 50+ points?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : Skinner and Staal a year older and Kaberle will outscore Corvo by a wide margin. I also take Ward over Price any day of the week.

I think Staal has already reached his prime, and I don't think you are speaking rationally when you take Ward over Price.  Sure Price has dips, and a decade ago Ward shocked us in the playoffs a couple times, but next year it will be a major surprise if Price is not far superior to Ward. 

That leaves you with Skinner's development and Kaberle imrovement, which I agree with.  Factor in E Cole leaving, and I honestly feel like Carolina is spinning there wheels a little bit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Depends on your definition of "by a mile".  Kaberle is good for about 50 points a year.  Corvo is good for about a point ever other night.  HOWEVER, Kaberle ONLY scores UP TO 10 goals a year.  He has only put up more than 10 twice:  02/03 & 06/07 when he scored 11 both years.  When Corvo has played a full year, he's scored at least that many.  05/06 - 14, 05/06 - 14, 07/08 - 13, 08/09 - 14 and 10/11 - 11.  So, Corvo actually scores MUCH more than Kaberle if you want to get technical.  If youre talking points, Kaberle is good for 40-50 and Corvo 30-40 (so far in their careers).  I wouldnt even say Kaberles POINTS will total more than Corvos by a wide margin based on previous years and the fact that Corvo will be playing with a MUCH better offense than Kaberle this year, but hey, thats just me.

And Ward over price!?  Not for me, never, and I cant stand Price.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : I think Staal has already reached his prime, and I don't think you are speaking rationally when you take Ward over Price.  Sure Price has dips, and a decade ago Ward shocked us in the playoffs a couple times, but next year it will be a major surprise if Price is not far superior to Ward.  That leaves you with Skinner's development and Kaberle imrovement, which I agree with.  Factor in E Cole leaving, and I honestly feel like Carolina is spinning there wheels a little bit.
    Posted by RickyHussle[/QUOTE]

To dez defense.  Staal hasnt peeked.  He is just a pure superstar in a terrible market.  Skinner could have another great year or come back to earth a bit(I will say a slight drop off).  They lose Cole, lose Corvo and add Kaberle.  Ward is a wolrd beater in net and no argument there.  I just dont feel like they have enough to stay in the race.  They lack a lot on the offensive end.  Meanwhile.  Montreal has PK who is a 25+ minute monster who is already very very good.  They add Cole to a smallish lineup and Price and Ward can cross each other out.  I think Carolina will have a very hard time improving.  If Kaberle is the big X factor then I am sticking with my side of the argument.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/car/depthchart

Carolina's roster just isnt that good. 

Now, Winnipeg is a team based purely on that crowd that could turn into a playoff team.  In fact I bet they out pt. Carolina.  You biting Dez?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/car/depthchart Carolina's roster just isnt that good.  Now, Winnipeg is a team based purely on that crowd that could turn into a playoff team.  In fact I bet they out pt. Carolina.  You biting Dez?
    Nope, the Peg is another team that's gonna be in the race. They're just another reason why the Habs are in tough. To go back to the original debate, only 1 of the teams mentioned has to outpoint the Habs in the scenario I've suggested. I think the Habs are in the most danger of any team that made the playoffs in the East last year and I think at least 1 of the teams we've discussed will beat them for the 8th seed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : I think Staal has already reached his prime, and I don't think you are speaking rationally when you take Ward over Price.  Sure Price has dips, and a decade ago Ward shocked us in the playoffs a couple times, but next year it will be a major surprise if Price is not far superior to Ward.  That leaves you with Skinner's development and Kaberle imrovement, which I agree with.  Factor in E Cole leaving, and I honestly feel like Carolina is spinning there wheels a little bit.
    Staal is the same age as Bergeron so I sure hope players aren't peaking at 26. Cam Ward is 27 and has only been in the league for 6 seasons although it does seem like a long time ago that he won the Cup as a rookie.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Depends on your definition of "by a mile".  Kaberle is good for about 50 points a year.  Corvo is good for about a point ever other night.  HOWEVER, Kaberle ONLY scores UP TO 10 goals a year.  He has only put up more than 10 twice:  02/03 & 06/07 when he scored 11 both years.  When Corvo has played a full year, he's scored at least that many.  05/06 - 14, 05/06 - 14, 07/08 - 13, 08/09 - 14 and 10/11 - 11.  So, Corvo actually scores MUCH more than Kaberle if you want to get technical.  If youre talking points, Kaberle is good for 40-50 and Corvo 30-40 (so far in their careers).  I wouldnt even say Kaberles POINTS will total more than Corvos by a wide margin based on previous years and the fact that Corvo will be playing with a MUCH better offense than Kaberle this year, but hey, thats just me. And Ward over price!?  Not for me, never, and I cant stand Price.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    What I said was "by a wide margin". If TK gets his usual 50 points and Corvo gets 40, that's a wide margin(20%).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : Will you be surprised if Kaberle gets 50+ points?

No I wouldn't . Are points the only thing that makes up a good player ? Because Kaberle , like our buddy Kessel has a lot of warts to his game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : Nope, the Peg is another team that's gonna be in the race. They're just another reason why the Habs are in tough. To go back to the original debate, only 1 of the teams mentioned has to outpoint the Habs in the scenario I've suggested. I think the Habs are in the most danger of any team that made the playoffs in the East last year and I think at least 1 of the teams we've discussed will beat them for the 8th seed.

I agree and it also means that no position is safe unless you are the Caps.  If we look at history we better come out a guns a blazing.  I can see drops by TBay-Philly and can see rises in the Jets and definitely the Devils.  But I also have Montreal improving.  But thats why they play the games. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I agree with this . I have always thought that Ward was the better keeper. In my opinion Price lets in a lot of softies. And who would you want in net in a big game ( let's say Olympics ) Ward or Price ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'll be a little surprised, but I'll be more surprised if he makes enough of a difference to push the Canes over the hump.

Caps, Pens, Bruins, Sabres, Flyers, Rangers, Lightning, Shabs.  No particular order, same teams as last year.  This could be the year that the Isles jump up, and the Devils should be more like the Devils of 2011 than Fall 2010.  I love Staal's game when he's on, and man is Skinner clever, but unless there's another Skinner-like arrival from their prospects, I don't know if Carolina's there.  Same with the Laffs - unless Reimer really is that good, and unless they get complete and healthy years out of Conolly and Lombardi, I don't know if I see them cracking the top 8.

Hate to say it, but I've liked Camallieri since he was one of the most effective scorers for Canada at the WJHC.  Gomez can't be as bad as he was last year again if he has an ounce of pride.  Cole will be Cole if he can stay healthy, Gionta will be healthier, Pleckanec isn't a little girl anymore...which leave Kostitsyn as the front-liner I have the most questions about.  Max P. looks like a player sometimes, and that little Desharnais has some characteristics to his game that remind me of Marchand.  Their D is pretty no-name - not good if you need to bring in Campoli - Chris Camp OH-He gave the puck away, and that's it, the playoffs are over for the Blackhawks!  But as others have said, Martin is a defensive systems guy who can make no-name D play effectively around a good goaltender.  Their better than some here would like.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I'll be a little surprised, but I'll be more surprised if he makes enough of a difference to push the Canes over the hump. Caps, Pens, Bruins, Sabres, Flyers, Rangers, Lightning, Shabs.  No particular order, same teams as last year.  This could be the year that the Isles jump up, and the Devils should be more like the Devils of 2011 than Fall 2010.  I love Staal's game when he's on, and man is Skinner clever, but unless there's another Skinner-like arrival from their prospects, I don't know if Carolina's there.  Same with the Laffs - unless Reimer really is that good, and unless they get complete and healthy years out of Conolly and Lombardi, I don't know if I see them cracking the top 8. Hate to say it, but I've liked Camallieri since he was one of the most effective scorers for Canada at the WJHC.  Gomez can't be as bad as he was last year again if he has an ounce of pride.  Cole will be Cole if he can stay healthy, Gionta will be healthier, Pleckanec isn't a little girl anymore...which leave Kostitsyn as the front-liner I have the most questions about.  Max P. looks like a player sometimes, and that little Desharnais has some characteristics to his game that remind me of Marchand.  Their D is pretty no-name - not good if you need to bring in Campoli - Chris Camp OH-He gave the puck away, and that's it, the playoffs are over for the Blackhawks!  But as others have said, Martin is a defensive systems guy who can make no-name D play effectively around a good goaltender.  Their better than some here would like.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt be one b/c I think they are in the mix no questions asked.  New dman cant think of his name at the moment and too lazy to look but plays like Darius K.  Campoli in a good system isnt bad.  They get Gorges/Markov back to combine with PK/Gill.  Habs are gonna be decent.  And I like Cammer as well.  He just has clutch ability that is hard not to like even though he has that jersey on.
    Injuries took the Habs down a notch and should bring them up again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : I agree with this . I have always thought that Ward was the better keeper. In my opinion Price lets in a lot of softies. And who would you want in net in a big game ( let's say Olympics ) Ward or Price ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Big fan of both, not sure if their is that much seperation between the two. Speaking of olympics, I'd say they are both the back up to Fleury.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : I wouldnt be one b/c I think they are in the mix no questions asked.  New dman cant think of his name at the moment and too lazy to look but plays like Darius K.  Campoli in a good system isnt bad.  They get Gorges/Markov back to combine with PK/Gill.  Habs are gonna be decent.  And I like Cammer as well.  He just has clutch ability that is hard not to like even though he has that jersey on. Injuries took the Habs down a notch and should bring them up again.

We're agreeing somewhat on things this season.
    That D's name is Yemelin but he hasn't impressed and that's why they went and get Campoli. Besides that give-away to Burrows in OT game7 he was doing well.
    Back to Yemelin, he might have been to confident and Diaz (Swiss) might take his spot. They also have Weber but they'll dress him as forward . Remember Weber has a bullet of a shot. He scored the 2-2 goal in game 7 with one of his shots.
    I can't see why people think the Habs are not a better team. 
    Cole is an upgrade on Pouliot.
    Markov might just come back. 
    Campoli can do the job Hamerlik did.
    Subban should have progressed and also have more confidence.
    They had many injuries last season, not saying they won't this season although they know how to play through them.
    Only "if" is Price, if he gets hurt, they're done.
    Lastly ,  they also have a lot of cap room to make a deal or two.
    As always they'll be a pain in the.... for us Bruin fans . Face it we're stuck with them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : Big fan of both, not sure if their is that much seperation between the two. Speaking of olympics, I'd say they are both the back up to Fleury.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Agreed and think I have spoke of my admiration plenty last year.  Fleury had an outstanding year last year.  Maybe his best.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : We're agreeing somewhat on things this season. That D's name is Yemelin but he hasn't impressed and that's why they went and get Campoli. Besides that give-away to Burrows in OT game7 he was doing well. Back to Yemelin, he might have been to confident and Diaz (Swiss) might take his spot. They also have Weber but they'll dress him as forward . Remember Weber has a bullet of a shot. He scored the 2-2 goal in game 7 with one of his shots. I can't see why people think the Habs are not a better team.  Cole is an upgrade on Pouliot. Markov might just come back.  Campoli can do the job Hamerlik did. Subban should have progressed and also have more confidence. They had many injuries last season, not saying they won't this season although they know how to play through them. Only "if" is Price, if he gets hurt, they're done. Lastly ,  they also have a lot of cap room to make a deal or two. As always they'll be a pain in the.... for us Bruin fans . Face it we're stuck with them.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about we always get along.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]
      Their better than some here would like.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

"They're"

Ahhhh, I've been waiting for this moment...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : Nope, the Peg is another team that's gonna be in the race. They're just another reason why the Habs are in tough. To go back to the original debate, only 1 of the teams mentioned has to outpoint the Habs in the scenario I've suggested. I think the Habs are in the most danger of any team that made the playoffs in the East last year and I think at least 1 of the teams we've discussed will beat them for the 8th seed.

I must say that I am quite surprised that Ward is only 27.  I would've definitely guessed he was in his 30's. 

I still believe Staal has peaked, but I don't mean that as an insult.  The guy is going to get 75-85 points every year, and he is going to be a solid two way guy constantly involved in all phases of the game, with a body that handles the grind very well, especially considering 6-3 200 is about 15 pounds lighter then I would have guessed.  In his rookie year he showed he has 100 point upside, but with all the things he is asked to do, I think his production is what it is, 75-85 points.  Stats from Hockeydb

2005-06 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82 45 55 100 81 -8 25 9 19 28 8
    2006-07 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82 30 40 70 68 -6 ----------
    2007-08 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82 38 44 82 50 -2 ----------
    2008-09 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82 40 35 75 50 15 18 10 5 15 4
    2009-10 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 70 29 41 70 68 4 ----------
    2010-11 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 81 33 43 76 72 -10 -- 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : "They're" Ahhhh, I've been waiting for this moment...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

[bows] well done, grasshopper.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budaj : I must say that I am quite surprised that Ward is only 27.  I would've definitely guessed he was in his 30's.  I still believe Staal has peaked, but I don't mean that as an insult.  The guy is going to get 75-85 points every year, and he is going to be a solid two way guy constantly involved in all phases of the game, with a body that handles the grind very well, especially considering 6-3 200 is about 15 pounds lighter then I would have guessed.  In his rookie year he showed he has 100 point upside, but with all the things he is asked to do, I think his production is what it is, 75-85 points.  Stats from Hockeydb 2005-06 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82 45 55 100 81 -8 25 9 19 28 8 2006-07 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82 30 40 70 68 -6 -- -- -- -- -- 2007-08 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82 38 44 82 50 -2 -- -- -- -- -- 2008-09 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82 40 35 75 50 15 18 10 5 15 4 2009-10 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 70 29 41 70 68 4 -- -- -- -- -- 2010-11 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 81 33 43 76 72 -10 --  
    Bottom line is the players we're debating are pretty good.