Buffalo goes Boom?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Buffalo goes Boom?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/?eref=sinav

[insert the usual mea culpa about SI and Hockey coverage.  Muir is usually readable]

Sabres are floudering badly.  Third worst team in the conference, third worst goal differential in the league (and it would be worse if they Bruins didn't fall asleep against them).  Vanek and Pominville could be difference-makers, and Miller could certainly stabilize a team like the Isles or (shudder) Toronto.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Buffalo goes Boom?

I guess it makes some sense, but I still have a hard time seeing those guys shipped out (unless a deal knocks their socks off).  It seemed like they let Roy get away because of a preference to keep Vanek and Pominville as part of the core.  And both guys have delivered this season.  I'll be surprised to see them actually blow it up and rebuild, but who knows.  I guess a Miller move seems more likely.

Are they dangling any top line players for a 2nd round pick?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

TSN's reporting the same rumour, but Vanek and Pominville? I just can't see it. Why blow up the whole team?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Because those guys are UFA next year and might not want to stay for a rebuild.  Miller's comment was more ominous than what Vanek said - are they going to build or re-build?  Can they be a contender in the next three or four years with the assets they have, including picks and prospects?

If Vanek and Pominville are thinking the answer is "no" - and moving Miller would certainly make them lean that direction - then a move now might mean the Sabres get the kind of return that keeps you from having to go all the way to the bottom before you claw back up.  For example, the Oilers wanted Vanek before; would they trade Yakupov (just to pick a name) to get him now? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Because those guys are UFA next year and might not want to stay for a rebuild.  Miller's comment was more ominous than what Vanek said - are they going to build or re-build?  Can they be a contender in the next three or four years with the assets they have, including picks and prospects?

If Vanek and Pominville are thinking the answer is "no" - and moving Miller would certainly make them lean that direction - then a move now might mean the Sabres get the kind of return that keeps you from having to go all the way to the bottom before you claw back up.  For example, the Oilers wanted Vanek before; would they trade Yakupov (just to pick a name) to get him now? 

I think what the Oilers are missing is a grit and sandpaper player which Vanek is not. He's just an older version of what Yako or the like could become. Vanek to anyone that has an established team like the Redwings, Habs, Nucks, Sharks, especially the Sharks who can't score goals, Jumbo Joe to Vanek for the one timer sounds about right. Anyway i think its more likely Miller could go as its been mentioned since last year and there are a few teams looking to upgrade their goaltending, Toronto? It'll be interesting for sure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I think what the Oilers are missing is a grit and sandpaper player which Vanek is not. He's just an older version of what Yako or the like could become. Vanek to anyone that has an established team like the Redwings, Habs, Nucks, Sharks, especially the Sharks who can't score goals, Jumbo Joe to Vanek for the one timer sounds about right. Anyway i think its more likely Miller could go as its been mentioned since last year and there are a few teams looking to upgrade their goaltending, Toronto? It'll be interesting for sure.

Well if you toss out all three to a few potential contenders, you'd be looking at some solid returns - if they can get a young keeper back (someone like Bishop or Bernier for example) plus load up on picks, just stack the shelves, yeah you're completely blowing it up, but it would likely be a fast rebuild. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If you do it right, moving all three gives you some real options.  More than moving Oates, Tocchet and Ranford gave the Bruins in '97, and that move meant a playoff berth the following year (though that may have been the biggest mistake in the last 20 years...).

If you could move Vanek or Pominville to LA for Bernier or to Vancouver for Schneider (assuming he gets his game back), you'd be free to trade Miller for the best available return.  Maybe to a team with a top notch D prospect?  That's where they're hurting now, and if you got a guy who could stabilize Myers, taht owuld be a double down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

They fired Ruff and that didnt work so what else can they do ? Tehy have what ? 5 mil in cap space so nothing there really to do other than dump and rebuild. The city of buffalo has had enuf of this team being pretenders, its sad that such a shortened season has that affect of not only buffalo but a couple of other teams ready to call it quits already. I think you will see colorado with an attempt at vanek.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

Man if we didn't have Rask, I would hope we snag Miller. I don't really care what people say about him negatively. That guy is a great goalie stuck on a crappy team. I really hope Tor doesn't pick him up or NJ since Marty is hurt and really on him way to retirement. Can you imagine how hard NJ will be to beat if they got him? It's bad enough the B's have a hard time against them now. As for Vanek I really hope we go after him when he becomes a UFA, just so he can't score like 30 goals just against the B's in one season....lol.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Either Vanek or Pominville would be sick!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Can't see them moving Vanek or Miller. I can see Reiger getting the boot. For me, Miller is the face of that franchise.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Miller would be the one to keep. Vanek had has injury issues in the past, valuable piece to move to get picks, a player, and potentials.  Odd as the Bs management/ownership looked at Buffalo several years removed as the team to model.  My my how things change.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I don't think they'll be moving Hodgson or Vanek. Those two seem to have really good chemistry and should be the forward core moving forward. I think they got the best of Vancouver in that Hodgson/Kassian trade, although Vancouver did need a bit more grit and they were trying to get their own version of Lucic.

Same with Miller and Myers on the back end. Although they could possibly move Miller to a team with an average goalie and get another solid defenseman (don't know who the buyer would be).

I don't think anyone else on their team is untouchable at the moment.

I'd be trading away as many other players as possible that aren't in their future plans and just pray for a high-lottery pick (exaggerating).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Can't see them moving Vanek or Miller. I can see Reiger getting the boot. For me, Miller is the face of that franchise.

Yep but but for the right price I would ship Vanek and Pominville.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I can see the scenario now.  It's the day after the regular season has ended.  Pegula's in his office sharpening an axe on a grindstone he's working with his foot on a pedal.  Sparks are flying.  Tells his administrative assistant "Send Regier in here." 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Same topic on Buffalo radio today. Most people agreed a new GM should be the first thing in order. 

If they're going to trade the big names who have one year left on their contracts ( Vanek, Pominville and Miller ) you'd think that waiting til the off season would be the best time for them. 

Most teams in the playoff race are not willing to give up more then picks and prospects wanting to keep their big league roster intact. Maybe not what Buffalo is looking for in return. 

Come the off-season things would open up a bit more as far as value taken back.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

After the big fail of signing Erhoff and Leino I can totally see a rebuild coming Buffalo's way. Miller has been yapping his way out of town for a while anyway.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

Maybe it is time to admit there are too many teams in  the NHL.  The talent pool is just too diluted to support this many teams.  Time to melt the  ice in Florida and say goodbye to the Panthers.

Who is out there that is available that could possibly turn things around in either buffalo or Florida?--answer:  No one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I agree.  Vanek can't be moved.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I agree.  Vanek can't be moved.

It's a tough call really. They should be able to get as good a return (better?) as the BJ's got for Nash. Sometimes a team is better off moving the franchise guy for many smaller pieces. Vanek is awesome. They could probably get 2 or 3 roster players plus prospect(s) for him. Any good GM would have to at least entertain the thought of it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

After the big fail of signing Erhoff and Leino I can totally see a rebuild coming Buffalo's way. Miller has been yapping his way out of town for a while anyway.

Maybe if he talked less and stopped more pucks his team wouldnt suck like they do...never been a fan of Miller... What's he ever done? A little overrated if you ask me...his sample of work in the playoffs is so underwhelming ...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

Maybe if he talked less and stopped more pucks his team wouldnt suck like they do...never been a fan of Miller... What's he ever done? A little overrated if you ask me...his sample of work in the playoffs is so underwhelming ...

He won a Vezina just 3 years ago, and has been a top 5 goalie over the past 5 years. He has had a horrible team in front of him during that span. He's an elite goaltender who teams who are on the brink of being contenders should look into, particularly those who don't have good goalies.

Frankly, if I was in the Pens front office, I'd be doing everything in my power to send MAF and a draft pick or two their way in the offseason for Miller. Miller can be a solid goalie with an absolutely horrible defense in front of him. Not that Pittsburgh's defense is good, but I think Miller would help them. Brian Dumoulin would be a good piece for Buffalo; they need a solid stay at home defenseman like him, and he's sort of falling into the "sure-fire" prospects to develop into a #3/#4 defenseman.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Regier just returned Grigorenko back to his Junior team, burning off a year of the kids ELC for no real reason. How that guy still has a job is beyond me.....

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Lake Ontario's not much better.

And I kind of find it funny that in my lifetime Minny and TO have only won championships in baseball - the only sport they don't care about.

Sections
Shortcuts