Burn in Hell Pierre

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Burn in Hell Pierre

Oates's best season he came third behing Lemieux and Lafontaine.  His total of 142 points is the 22nd best total in history of the game.  Only eight players have ever topped it. His 97 assists led the league.  It's the 15 best total ever.  Only Gretzky, Orr, and Lemieux have recorded more assists in a season.

Crosby topped the league with his 120 by six points over Thornton, but didn't lead in either goals or assists.  That was the only year Crosby was the Art Ross winner.

Crosby was third behind his frequent linemate Malkin when he had his 103pt season and second to Sedin when he had 109, but tied with Ovechkin who played 9 fewer games that year.  Technical second....

Oates was third behind his linemate Hull and Gretzky when he had 115 in only 61 games and third again behind Fedorov and Gretzky.  His 90 assists in 90-91 is the 26th highest total ever. So basically, he was third in each of his best years, and in each case, he was behind one of the top two career points/game players and one other guy.

I'm not saying Oates was as good as Crosby.  My memory's not that foggy.  But give him credit where it's due - when he was at his best, the undrafted pivot out of RPI did a pretty good imitation of a face-of-the-league 1st overall pick.  That side of the comparison is within the realm of animal intelligence.  Neely-Cooke is vegetable or probably mineral.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : Incorrect.  I use that site to quickly find out information.  I read that first, and then I read your copy of it.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Yes, because having a similar thought to someone else means it HAS to be a copy. Not that the writers of both know what they're talking about so the conclusions will be similar. Just because you rely on Wikipedia doesn't mean the rest of us do.

On occassion I'll use it to make sure my numbers are correct (such as Adam Oates point totals in 1991). Beyond that, I have my own brain and can make my own conclusions.If those conclusions have also been made by others, so be it. Not my problem, just means great minds think alike.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Howie Meeker --->>> Roger Neilsen

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : BB, I couldn't believe how many folks questioned me earlier this week when I said Malkin has always been dirty. He's a kicker.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I think your taking this and running with it Dez. One kicking incident does not make him dirty. Ted Donato kicked Rich Pilon with both of his skates, Was he dirty? For every dirty little thing Malkin does I'd say it's done 10 times worse to him.

And who did he kick? Are you talking about the slew foot on Mara?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

One of the more -"on the edge hits" by Malkin- the one he put on Willie Mitchell a few feet from the boards a few years ago. I used to like Pierre when he did the Junior Championships on TSN. Ferraro has taken his place at TSN and although he was a player and brings that insight . . . I can't stand listening to him. Heard him too much on Team 1040 in Vancouver- All the same voice-intonation, intensity- No variance, just Robin Leach-like without the accent. "I'm ray Ferraro, I played the game, you didn't. I'm talking loud and I don't know why"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : I think your taking this and running with it Dez. One kicking incident does not make him dirty. Ted Donato kicked Rich Pilon with both of his skates, Was he dirty? For every dirty little thing Malkin does I'd say it's done 10 times worse to him. And who did he kick? Are you talking about the slew foot on Mara?
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    He kicked Lecavalier during international play and he kicked someone else in the NHL. He's a dirty player. That is indisputable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : Personal opinions aside, he's also the greatest player on Earth.

That he is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Burn in Hell Pierre

3 of these 4 players are awesome players and then you have Cooke.  Come on Pierre.  This is stupid even by your standards.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : He kicked Lecavalier during international play and he kicked someone else in the NHL. He's a dirty player. That is indisputable.

I think it is disputable, who is the NHL player he kicked? I can't find any video of him kicking Lecavalier or anyone else ofr that matter.

Did find this though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJhwlXbdNc

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : I think it is disputable, who is the NHL player he kicked? I can't find any video of him kicking Lecavalier or anyone else ofr that matter. Did find this though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJhwlXbdNc
    He's been trying to get Malkin back ever since he was kicked. Malkin got a match penalty in the 2006 Olympics for it.

http://www.russianprospects.com/public/article.php?article_id=430&anchor=Tour

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]Oates's best season he came third behing Lemieux and Lafontaine.  His total of 142 points is the 22nd best total in history of the game.  Only eight players have ever topped it. His 97 assists led the league.  It's the 15 best total ever.  Only Gretzky, Orr, and Lemieux have recorded more assists in a season. Crosby topped the league with his 120 by six points over Thornton, but didn't lead in either goals or assists.  That was the only year Crosby was the Art Ross winner. Crosby was third behind his frequent linemate Malkin when he had his 103pt season and second to Sedin when he had 109, but tied with Ovechkin who played 9 fewer games that year.  Technical second.... Oates was third behind his linemate Hull and Gretzky when he had 115 in only 61 games and third again behind Fedorov and Gretzky.  His 90 assists in 90-91 is the 26th highest total ever. So basically, he was third in each of his best years, and in each case, he was behind one of the top two career points/game players and one other guy. I'm not saying Oates was as good as Crosby.  My memory's not that foggy.  But give him credit where it's due - when he was at his best, the undrafted pivot out of RPI did a pretty good imitation of a face-of-the-league 1st overall pick.  That side of the comparison is within the realm of animal intelligence.  Neely-Cooke is vegetable or probably mineral.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Remember the goal Oates scored off the faceoff in the playoffs that year? He just pushed the puck forward off the draw and it snuck by the unsuspecting goalie (not sure who it was). First time I ever saw that!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : Remember the goal Oates scored off the faceoff in the playoffs that year? He just pushed the puck forward off the draw and it snuck by the unsuspecting goalie (not sure who it was). First time I ever saw that!Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

1992 against the Buffalo Sabres and it won the game 1-0. If the St. Louis Blues hadn't been so cheap Oates would've helped Brett Hull bust Gretzky's goal scoring record.

And yah again Adam will make a damn fine coach one day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : 1992 against the Buffalo Sabres and it won the game 1-0. If the St. Louis Blues hadn't been so cheap Oates would've helped Brett Hull bust Gretzky's goal scoring record. And yah again Adam will make a damn fine coach one day.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Yeah...and if Sinden hadn't been such an a** Oates may have retired a Bruin. At least we got Allison and Carter in the deal. They were servicable for a couple of years until they became too expensive and Sinden let them go for peanuts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : Yeah...and if Sinden hadn't been such an a** Oates may have retired a Bruin. At least we got Allison and Carter in the deal. They were servicable for a couple of years until they became too expensive and Sinden let them go for peanuts.
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

Oconnell got Guerin for Carter, Id say thats more than peanuts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Got Murray and Stumpel back for Allison too, and let's not be too liberal with that "too expensive" label.  Allison was a bad risk given his injuries and total lack of speed, and he proved it by being too injured to play about 100 games into his LA career.  Murray put up 170 goals when he returned.

That deal was lucky, but it proved a steal even though Carrey was a joke.  Oates, Tocchet and Ranford had nothing to contribute to a bad team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : Remember the goal Oates scored off the faceoff in the playoffs that year? He just pushed the puck forward off the draw and it snuck by the unsuspecting goalie (not sure who it was). First time I ever saw that!
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

Tommy Draper & he played very well that series. In game 7 Andy Moog absolutely robbed Lafontaine late in the game. Almost the same kind of save Cujo made as an Oiler on then Star Joe Niewendyk in game 7 in OT, before Todd Marchant scored on Andy Moog on the following face-off. Take a look at the similarities of the saves. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV1MTHN3Chk Ffwd to about the 9:25 mark.

Then there's Cujo's in 97.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27sfqyudmvU

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

In Response to Burn in Hell Pierre:
    [QUOTE]I'm watching the Flyers vs. Penguins.  The knuckleheads are talking about Crosby and Cooke on the same line. Pierre Maguire likens it to Neely and Oates.

do you REALLY think this is an appropriate Headline? You're talking about SPORTS you idiot!! Grow up

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Burn in Hell Pierre :  Next to Glenn Healey, Pierre Maguire is without a doubt,the biggest knob doing hockey broadcasts on t.v today and thats saying alot.I think he says alot of these outright foolish things just to hear himself talk.He's definitely in love with his own voice. 
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

I cannot stand the guy. There aren't many sports announcers I want to punch in the face, but he may be #1. And, I am not even a violent person.

How on earth did this guy even get these jobs he's had?  That could be any one of us up there doing that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : 1992 against the Buffalo Sabres and it won the game 1-0. If the St. Louis Blues hadn't been so cheap Oates would've helped Brett Hull bust Gretzky's goal scoring record. And yah again Adam will make a damn fine coach one day.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I still have no idea how Oates is not in the HOF. It doesn't seem right that Neely is in the HOF and Oates isn't. It's embarrassing, really.

Gretzky is the best passer I've ever seen, but Oates is second.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : I still have no idea how Oates is not in the HOF. It doesn't seem right that Neely is in the HOF and Oates isn't. It's embarrassing, really. Gretzky is the best passer I've ever seen, but Oates is second.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Each fall short to Crosby when it comes to the backhand pass.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I am assuming you're joking saying Crosby is better than Gretzky at anything. Must be an inside joke here or something, Kevie.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]I am assuming you're joking saying Crosby is better than Gretzky at anything. Must be an inside joke here or something, Kevie.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

No, I said Crosby was better at the backhand pass than Oates and Gretzky.

I was merely offering my opinion to the conversation, if you disagree with it thats fine, I see your going back to your immature ways.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : No, I said Crosby was better at the backhand pass than Oates and Gretzky. I was merely offering my opinion to the conversation, if you disagree with it thats fine, I see your going back to your immature ways.
    Crosby can't match Gretzky at anything. That's just my opinion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : Crosby can't match Gretzky at anything. That's just my opinion.

Well, Crosby is a better checker.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : Crosby can't match Gretzky at anything. That's just my opinion.

mullet included