Burn in Hell Pierre

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Burn in Hell Pierre

Yeah, sorry kel, but you're going to get a lot of "are you joking?!?!" on that one.  No one was a better passer than Gretzky.  Doesn't matter if you're talking forehand, backhand, saucer, flip, blind, drop, one-touch....  Best passer ever.  2nd best player ever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Savard, Oates and Gretzky are all better backhand passers that Crosby. Sid just does so many other things better than the three mentioned players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre:
    In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : Well, Crosby is a better checker.
    Posted by red75

I stand corrected.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Crosby is a better sucker puncher!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : No, I said Crosby was better at the backhand pass than Oates and Gretzky. I was merely offering my opinion to the conversation, if you disagree with it thats fine, I see your going back to your immature ways.
    Posted by kelvana33

Did you just call me immature because I think it's preposterous to compare anything by Crosby to Gretzky?  Gretzky was a 10 bell player across the board outside of playing good defense, which he was actually unfailry maligned for, anyway.

Gretzky was also infamous for using a very straight blade specifically to be able to use the backhand more efficiently.

Please, dude. 

Don't get all passive aggressive because you make a statement that probably no one would ever agree with, and then act all surprised, only to call me "immature".

Gretzky is leaps and bounds a better player than Crosby even on his worst day.

I can see comparing Crosby's passing to Oates's, but not Gretzky. Crosby isn't even better than Lemieux for or LaFontaine for crying out loud.

Gretzky was "bad" at breakaways and slapshots, but what's funny is, he wasn't, it was just the parts of his game that weren't as other-worldly as the others.

Top 3 passers I've seen:

1. Gretzky
    2. Oates
    3. Lemieux (I hated his pany asz, but he was a great passer)

Others that I feel were underrated or just really great in their eras, Center or Wing, include Mike Bossy (had a sick feather pass from the wing), Ron Francis, Gilbert Perreault, Marcel Dionne, LaFontaine, and yes even our own Marc Savard.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : Oconnell got Guerin for Carter, Id say thats more than peanuts.
    Posted by kelvana33

For a season and a half and then he left via free agency.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : Did you just call me immature because I think it's preposterous to compare anything by Crosby to Gretzky?  Gretzky was a 10 bell player across the board outside of playing good defense, which he was actually unfailry maligned for, anyway. Gretzky was also infamous for using a very straight blade specifically to be able to use the backhand more efficiently. Please, dude.  Don't get all passive aggressive because you make a statement that probably no one would ever agree with, and then act all surprised, only to call me "immature". Gretzky is leaps and bounds a better player than Crosby even on his worst day. I can see comparing Crosby's passing to Oates's, but not Gretzky. Crosby isn't even better than Lemieux for or LaFontaine for crying out loud. Gretzky was "bad" at breakaways and slapshots, but what's funny is, he wasn't, it was just the parts of his game that weren't as other-worldly as the others. Top 3 passers I've seen: 1. Gretzky 2. Oates 3. Lemieux (I hated his pany asz, but he was a great passer) Others that I feel were underrated or just really great in their eras, Center or Wing, include Mike Bossy (had a sick feather pass from the wing), Ron Francis, Gilbert Perreault, Marcel Dionne, LaFontaine, and yes even our own Marc Savard.
    Posted by BassFishing

Gretzky is the best player I've ever seen, I think Lemeiux was more talented and I think Crosby has a better backhand pass. It's my opinion. Different Eras, but look at a good number of Gretzkys goals, especially the ones via slapshots and tell me a high school goaltender today doesnt steer those off to the side with ease. Crosby is without a doubt the best player to come along since those two.Not better than LaFontaine?? Are you kidding me?There is no weakness to his game and when all is said and done he will be regarded as the best player of his generation if he stays healthy.

I'm not sure I'd put Francis,Dionne and Bossy in the "underrated category"..

Not everything has to be an argument, I respect your opinion, save your arguments for the Patriots board.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I am talking about those players being underrated in passing.  Bossy wasn't known as a passer, so that means he's underrated as one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Yeah, sorry kel, but you're going to get a lot of "are you joking?!?!" on that one.  No one was a better passer than Gretzky.  Doesn't matter if you're talking forehand, backhand, saucer, flip, blind, drop, one-touch....  Best passer ever.  2nd best player ever.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Who's 1st ?  Today's birthday boy ?  I agree.
    Shupe would be all over this like a fly on s...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I am talking about those players being underrated in passing.  Bossy wasn't known as a passer, so that means he's underrated as one.
    Posted by BassFishing

Ron Francis was well known for making sweet passes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : For a season and a half and then he left via free agency.
    Posted by jaywall

Carter was a two time hold out but never scored 25 goals for the B's.

Good riddance!

Billy Guerin gave us SOMEONE to cheer for when we had next to no personality on the club.  And where did Guerin go?  Dallas for 5yr/$45M.  How did that work out for Dallas?  He was terrible and they bought him out.

You're pretty wrong across the board on this one, Jay.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Say what you want about the team being cheap, but Carter wanted to be paid like the star he wasn't, so they dealt him for a guy who cost what Carter wanted but who actually delivered.  Allison wanted to be paid for the points he put up when he was on the ice, never mind that he kept disappearing due to injuries.  So they dealt him.  Thornton's the guy who got whatever he wanted contractually, and the day he signed his last deal in Boston he complained that they weren't committed to winning.

A lot of those "cheap" moments were two way streets.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : Ron Francis was well known for making sweet passes.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

As was Sakic. But I still think these guys are underrated in the discussion. Heck, if you asked most hockey fans names like Oates would never come up.

That's what I mean by it.

Marc Savard is one notch down from Oates, IMO, and that notch isn't far off either.   Oates is criminally underrated. He had this knack, as did Savard, where he'd subtly draw the defender or defenders as close as possible to create space, and then wait to the last second, putting it in the utmost perfect spot for the shooter.

If you know the game, you know what I mean on this topic.  Oates also used somewhat of a flat blade, which is what stirred up this debate originally.

I can't put Crosby, forehand or backhand, anywhere near these players I list above as a passer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : As was Sakic. But I still think these guys are underrated in the discussion. Heck, if you asked most hockey fans names like Oates would never come up. That's what I mean by it. Marc Savard is one notch down from Oates, IMO, and that notch isn't far off either.   Oates is criminally underrated. He had this knack, as did Savard, where he'd subtly draw the defender or defenders as close as possible to create space, and then wait to the last second, putting it in the utmost perfect spot for the shooter. If you know the game, you know what I mean on this topic.  Oates also used somewhat of a flat blade, which is what stirred up this debate originally. I can't put Crosby, forehand or backhand, anywhere near these players I list above as a passer.
    Posted by BassFishing

Any discussion of the blade that Adam Oates used wouldn't mention the curve, but instead focus on the fact that he cut the toe off of it.

I can't imagine anyone underrating Adam Oates' passing ability.  Who do you talk hockey with?  The ladies at Dunkin'?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Burn in Hell Pierre : As was Sakic. But I still think these guys are underrated in the discussion. Heck, if you asked most hockey fans names like Oates would never come up. That's what I mean by it. Marc Savard is one notch down from Oates, IMO, and that notch isn't far off either.   Oates is criminally underrated. He had this knack, as did Savard, where he'd subtly draw the defender or defenders as close as possible to create space, and then wait to the last second, putting it in the utmost perfect spot for the shooter. If you know the game, you know what I mean on this topic.  Oates also used somewhat of a flat blade, which is what stirred up this debate originally. I can't put Crosby, forehand or backhand, anywhere near these players I list above as a passer.
    Posted by BassFishing

Not only will I take Crosby over Savard for passing I'll take Joe Thornton over him as well. Jumbo has some slick hands.

I think Matt Cooke and Tyler Kennedy would agree with me. Look at their production since last Thursday when a groggy Sid started playing with them. And look at his numbers in 1 week with them. Thats a pretty sweet sample for a guy whos played in how many games in a calendar year?

Doug Gilmour could dish the puck, Craig Janney (Thats all he could do, but at least he was good at it)

Sections
Shortcuts