...but HE's the guy who gets paid.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

...but HE's the guy who gets paid.

I just had to share this, following Seguin's all-star performance last night on the heels of his best-Bruin-on-the-ice showing in Game 1 as well.

Back in the midst of the Montreal series, when the PP was beyond horrid and things looked dark (down 0-2) I wrote to Fluto and asked why he wasn't doing a column questioning why the coach wasn't giving Tyler Seguin any minutes...at the very least on the Power Play. I said many Bruins fans were talking amongst themselves, asking that very question, so why wasn't the Globe coverage reflecting this, and why as a professional hockey writer, wasn't the issue on HIS radar?

Here is his verbatim response:

Tough spot to put in the kid. If he can't take heat in regular season, no reason to think he can do it in playoff atmosphere.

I bring this up because fans are often chided and condescended to by writers and coaches who wish they'd just leave the big decisions (as if we had a choice in the matter), to the "experts", and keep their opinions to themselves.

Well, sometimes the experts are wrong...dead wrong....but they're still the ones who get paid.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re:...but HE's the guy who gets paid.

I think CJ's  true attitude toward Seguin will come once the kid has a bad game, which happens to everyone by the way (ex. Peverly in game 1). If Claude immediately sends Tyler back into the rafters in favour of Thornton then we will know CJ has no "master plan" for the kid but was merely forced into using him the last 2 games....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Nice post. It's forums like these that allow fans to share opinions and have a voice, even if it's contrary to the "expert" opinions. I'm not a fan of "I told you so" mentality...it's childish and detracts from the conversation. We're getting a lot of chest puffing right now, but that will die down.

Like you, I am a fan of hearing what people have to say and your post describes why it's fun to hop on here and share opinion. We don't get paid, and this is all just a way that some choose to engage as a fan. It's all good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

TTBI, this is simply monday morning quarterbacking. seguin did not have a very impressive regular season, he was good ,but not what we saw last night. he had limited time on the pp during the season, he showed flashes here and there, but his overall game was lacking. seguins goals were not even on the pp were they? the pp looked good because they changed their structure- to a 1-3-1 umbrella. great game by the kid, he's fresh, and hungry. he definitely creates problems for defenses.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Fluto (along with many other experts ) should know The difference between regular season and playoffs .
    Regular season you have time to think and sometimes too much . Basic hockey sense gets clouded with what you need to do on the ice without the puck, in the defensive zone, carrying the puck  etc..  Game in game out you play different team with different systems and all the things I mentioned above might work one night and the next with a different team does not work.
    When you're new to the league and learning all these things sometimes it's harder to adapt or adapt too late before you make mistakes.
    In the playoffs it's different,  you play the same team , same players and same system game in and game out, 4-7 games. No re-adapting or refreshing needed.
    A young , fresh , full of energy kid can get away and not over think every move, gain confidence and let loose with the talent he has. 
    Julien did say once Seguin got his chance that it wasn't anymore about winning but to show what he's all about.  This is what Seguin has done. 
    Julien sent the message to Seguin,  Seguin read the message, Seguin answered with his play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In Response to Re:...but HE's the guy who gets paid.:
    I think CJ's  true attitude toward Seguin will come once the kid has a bad game, which happens to everyone by the way (ex. Peverly in game 1). If Claude immediately sends Tyler back into the rafters in favour of Thornton then we will know CJ has no "master plan" for the kid but was merely forced into using him the last 2 games....
    Posted by jmwalters

Pretty sure no master plan in this one. It was simply a move forced by Bergeron's injury, and Seguin has completely capitalized on it. Good on him for that. I'm sure the entire mgt. team could not have anticipated the result in the last 2 games out of him.

Let's hope the fairytale like start for him continues.....so the Bruins can move onto the Cup final. Oh yeah, and keep him the lineup when Bergy returns!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

TTBI, this is simply monday morning quarterbacking. seguin did not have a very impressive regular season, he was good ,but not what we saw last night. he had limited time on the pp during the season, he showed flashes here and there, but his overall game was lacking. seguins goals were not even on the pp were they? the pp looked good because they changed their structure- to a 1-3-1 umbrella. great game by the kid, he's fresh, and hungry. he definitely creates problems for defenses.
    Posted by adkbeesfan

I think it's more than MM QB'ing. Many of us who wanted more of Seguin in the regular season were arguing just that: We wanted MORE of him.

His ice time was very limited by Claude and it was unfair to expect he'd light the lamp every time or even acclimate to the game the way he had to in order to develop when he's given 8-9 mins. of ice time a game.

I also don't think he was used on the PP enough during the regular season, and especially for a rookie, these things take time. I truly believe he deserved to play more, and I think having said that all along--even when the results were not what many (unfairly) expected of a rookie--negates any charge of MM QB'ing, which implies an "it's easy to say NOW" mentality.  What myself and many others were arguing all along was that if you give this kid more of an opportunity to show what he can do, the talent will emerge. Talent can't be subdued unless you leave it on the bench.

And doesn't it bother you a little to realize that had Bergeron not gone down Seguin would STILL be watching from the press box? It took the team's best overall player to get concussed before this kid got a chance, and given the fact that Shawn Thornton still gets a regular shift, that's just stupid.

To say so is not MM QB'ing, IMO. (Sorry for all the abbvtns.)

Go Bruins!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

whatever the plan is, it's working. beat the habs in round one w/o seguin, swept the flyers in round 2 w/o seguin. are level with the bolts in round 3 w/ seguin. going to tampa even is good for the b's(of course up 2-0 would be nice), as we all know the b's are one of the best road teams in the league. i don't think we've seen their best yet!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

whatever the plan is, it's working. beat the habs in round one w/o seguin, swept the flyers in round 2 w/o seguin. are level with the bolts in round 3 w/ seguin. going to tampa even is good for the b's(of course up 2-0 would be nice), as we all know the b's are one of the best road teams in the league. i don't think we've seen their best yet!!
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Agreed. Obviously the defense when protecting a lead could be better, and even w/some of the truly awesome saves TT masde last night, he probably hasn't played his best (or at least most consistent) game to this point. I think and hope Thomas will give TB fits down in Florida.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If Seguin is benched ever again for the rest of the playoffs can we declare Coach Claude officially insane?

YES!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

alright san dog... i'm with you on this one. seguin answered the bell, and his fresh legs and injury free body will hopefully continue to give tb nightmares. IF bergy makes it back, what line does tb key on stopping? pick your poison! b's are deep, and skilled. i don't think even clode can screw this up-

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

also TTBI... i tend to give the other team credit. how exactly did we expect tb to respond in the 3rd? they are a team of unquestionable character, they ARE in the ECF for a reason. if they didn't play a 3rd the way they did, i would say this series won't go 6- b's in 5. but they played desperate hockey, as they should have. yes, it was the b's weakest period. but they did hold them off for a W. a win is a win. need 3 more

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

So even though Seguin admitted he was running around in the first game when he shouldn't have and even though he was constantly out of position in the regular season, Claude should have just played him in the playoffs knowing that he would elevate his game? I don't know what Seguin you were watching but he didn't have a good end to the regular season to support that logic.

I'm ecstatic to see Seguin play well last night but I'm not going to second guess management for not putting him in the lineup in the first 2 rounds as he didn't look like he was ready.

Last night, he stepped up and played the best game of his NHL career. If he played like that all year, he would have had more than 11 goals and an average of 10 minutes of icetime. CJ rations ice time depending on play, I don't see the problem with this and believe it motivates the kid to play better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

ADK, Oh yes CJ can his line changes and putting the 4th line out after the Bruins score a goal still driving me nuts...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

it drives you nuts, BUT it's working- b's are 9-2 since dropping the first two to montreal(seems like forever ago) hard to complain about much, no? enjoy the ride my friend- i'm loving it

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Seguin played great.  Very happy.  I said this was a positive for a number of reasons.  If he plays well and chips in its a bonus.  And he will get playoff experience which will help him the rest of his career. 

I am keeping the same frame of mind as I had when he came into the lineup.  Anything he adds is a bonus and I am not anticipating much more than that.  He was exactly what we needed and we now need the rest of our leaders to take this series over.

I believe everyone knows I am not a CJ fan  But he wasnt wrong in this case.  I said he should consider sitting Thorton b/c he offers nothing.  But CJ was basing his material on reg/season.  1 pt in his last 19 games and looked out of place.

As BsL pointed out is that Seguin doesnt have to think. He just needs to have fun playing.  And well, its worked great.   Its fun to watch the future.  He is gonna be a great player and this is the tip of the iceburg

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to ...but HE's the guy who gets paid.:
    I just had to share this, following Seguin's all-star performance last night on the heels of his best-Bruin-on-the-ice showing in Game 1 as well. Back in the midst of the Montreal series, when the PP was beyond horrid and things looked dark (down 0-2) I wrote to Fluto and asked why he wasn't doing a column questioning why the coach wasn't giving Tyler Seguin any minutes...at the very least on the Power Play. I said many Bruins fans were talking amongst themselves, asking that very question, so why wasn't the Globe coverage reflecting this, and why as a professional hockey writer, wasn't the issue on HIS radar? Here is his verbatim response: Tough spot to put in the kid. If he can't take heat in regular season, no reason to think he can do it in playoff atmosphere. I bring this up because fans are often chided and condescended to by writers and coaches who wish they'd just leave the big decisions (as if we had a choice in the matter), to the "experts", and keep their opinions to themselves. Well, sometimes the experts are wrong...dead wrong....but they're still the ones who get paid.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

First let me say I was dead set against Seguin, thinking it would be overwhelming for a 19 year old to be playing in the playoffs against the Lightning who can fly.  I could not have been more wrong.  Tyler is about the only one I've seen who can skate with Tampa and he's not all intimidated.  I seriously doubt Claude will ever sit him again.  He needs to be out there on that powerplay too. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

always finding something to complain about huh? guess what....Fluto is 100% right. You aren't going to dress a 13th forward just for power play team. I can absolutely 100% see why seguin started the playoffs in the press box. The bruins are in the ECF and 7 wins away from a cup, enjoy yourself as a "bruins fan" for a few minutes

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Stop ripping on CJ. He got us to the flipping conference finals, he brought Seguin along in a way that is now paying dividends (we all though he wasn't ready), he's managing a roster that's changing due to injuries, the team is playing well and 3 wins from the finals.

What in the heck do you people want?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

This, from today's paper is exactly what I am talking about above ^^:

"It was said that Dean Smith was the only guy who could hold Michael Jordan below 25 points per game and now we’re wondering what Grady’s [his nickname for Julien] been doing with his top draft pick. The teen angel was buried in series against the Canadiens and Flyers. Julien reluctantly went to the kid only when it was clear Bergeron could not play."

Shaugnessy, while you were ignoring the Bruins, CJ won both those series'. CJ "relucantly" went with Seguin? Surprising to me because I hadn't read anything that suggested any of the other scratches were even considered for Bergy's lineup spot.

Thanks for paying attention now, though. Aside from Fluto, KPD, and, occassionally Barbara Mason, none of the hack writers on here know anything about the Bruins and even less about the NHL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

always finding something to complain about huh? guess what....Fluto is 100% right. You aren't going to dress a 13th forward just for power play team. I can absolutely 100% see why seguin started the playoffs in the press box. The bruins are in the ECF and 7 wins away from a cup, enjoy yourself as a "bruins fan" for a few minutes
    Posted by thedauber1

Right. I'm only a "Bruins fan" in quotes b/c I think they have an extremely talented rookie I've been saying should play more all along but I dare to disagree w/the coach on this one issue, so I'm not a "real fan" like you--a robot fan. (Must.....only...agree....with....all....things.....Bruin).

Hilarious.

let's read Fluto's quote to me again:

Tough spot to put in the kid. If he can't take heat in regular season, no reason to think he can do it in playoff atmosphere.

And so Fluto, based on this statement and given what we all saw that absolutely contradicts it--is "100% right" (as you put it)----EXACTLY HOW?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

there was absolutely no reason to think he would do this well in the playoffs. If Thomas got hurt and Rask came in and didn't let up a single goal the rest of the playoffs, would we be saying "wow CJ should have played him the whole time" there is no reason to think that Rask would be a better option, just as there was no reason to think that seguin would blow up in the playoffs

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

Nick Cafardo wanted to trade Brady and keep Bledsoe.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Totally agree with dc on Shaughnessy and others who like to make the case that Julien is such an idiot, and Seguin has always been this good.

Seguin was very weak at the end of the season and was the logical odd man out at the beginning of the playoffs.  If Shaughnessy actually watched hockey he would have known this.  What further complicates Shaughnessy's overly simplistic argument is that the Bruins won in the first two rounds of the playoffs (and swept the mighty Flyers).  Tough to complain about that.

As soon as an injury presented the opportunity for Seguin to play, Julien put him in -- where on earth does the term "reluctantly" come from?  Like dc said, I never heard another name mentioned.

I think we'll all agree that Seguin needs to stay in the lineup now.  But, if he starts playing like he did 2 months ago and makes a bunch of mistakes, he could still be back in the press box.

Last night was an utter joy to watch the kid, but there's no reason to pretend that some culprit has been preventing what we saw from happening before.  In fact, it may be the way he was handle that caused the breakout last night.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Totally agree with dc on Shaughnessy and others who like to make the case that Julien is such an idiot, and Seguin has always been this good. Seguin was very weak at the end of the season and was the logical odd man out at the beginning of the playoffs.  If Shaughnessy actually watched hockey he would have known this.  What further complicates Shaughnessy's overly simplistic argument is that the Bruins won in the first two rounds of the playoffs (and swept the mighty Flyers).  Tough to complain about that. As soon as an injury presented the opportunity for Seguin to play, Julien put him in -- where on earth does the term "reluctantly" come from?  Like dc said, I never heard another name mentioned. I think we'll all agree that Seguin needs to stay in the lineup now.  But, if he starts playing like he did 2 months ago and makes a bunch of mistakes, he could still be back in the press box. Last night was an utter joy to watch the kid, but there's no reason to pretend that some culprit has been preventing what we saw from happening before.  In fact, it may be the way he was handle that caused the breakout last night.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Thank you.

Sections
Shortcuts