Butler and DeCosta

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Butler and DeCosta

Two guys who look like they are going to be legit NHLers who walked right out of our own backyard without offers from Peter C.  Butler has been lighting it up since his recall in Feb (yes, bad plus minus, but on the worst goal differential team in NHL), and DeCosta with little experience looks very poised with the puck and able to setup scoring chances (looks a little like a young krejci with his patients).  How do these guys waltz out of our own area without attracting attention from our front office?  We know they weren't offered contracts because PC said so in past press conferences.

Are we only allowed Canadian Junior guys on our roster?  Just seems like another spot where Chiarelli has made rookie mistakes as GM. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Butler and DeCosta

Yeah, can you imagine that?  A guy goes undrafted and some team takes a chance on him.  I can't believe that, of the 30 GMs that passed on drafted this kid, one of them was from the Bruins!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

After watching this kid play three games with no goals and no assists for one of the worst teams in the NHL, I bet Chiarelli feels really dumb for not giving Da Costa a contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Butler doesn't impress me all that much. Costa wasn't coming here anyways. There are too many C's here they don't need more. Plus Costa would want to play where he has a chance at making the club soon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Your sarcasm shows your ignorance.  Yes undrafted, like so many excellent NHLers in todays game.  After these guys light up college hockey they are offered contracts, both of these guys fielded over a dozen offers, none of which came from PC.  Who said anything about drafting them?

So in Da Costa's first 3 NHL games he doesn't score, therefore he's worthless and won't become much of anything?

You are a condesending know it all on these boards, and actually, Chiarelli has said he regrets letting Butler through their cracks. 

Before you through out your comments from your mountain top as such a hockey know it all, maybe you should think things through before sounding ridiculous in an attempt to put someone else down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Call, you're right with Da Costa, he probably wouldn't have had interest in Boston, too much depth at forward for him to get any real NHL shot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Call, I will say though, Butler had 5 great scoring chances and made alot of plays out there I thought.  Obviously, bad back check on Paille goal.  A guy like Butler sure could add alot to our PP, and man is Spezza talented!  Whether he loafs at times or not isn't our problem, but his vision, hands, and passing are elite.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Butler and DeCosta:
    [QUOTE]Call, you're right with Da Costa, he probably wouldn't have had interest in Boston, too much depth at forward for him to get any real NHL shot.
    Posted by bigbadbruinsfan[/QUOTE]
    Especially in the next couple years with everyone signed.  That being said I think Da Costa will be a good NHLer, while at Merricmack he often looked like a man among boys when playing against the Maine Black Bears. He really stood out for that team. He elevated his game for the playoffs for them as well. That's a good sign for any player. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]Call, I will say though, Butler had 5 great scoring chances and made alot of plays out there I thought.  Obviously, bad back check on Paille goal.  A guy like Butler sure could add alot to our PP, and man is Spezza talented!  Whether he loafs at times or not isn't our problem, but his vision, hands, and passing are elite.
    He has played well for Ottawa but someone has to score for them. I have to watch him next year and if continues to grow I will gladly say I was wrong and that he looks like he'll be a good player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Butler and DeCosta : He has played well for Ottawa but someone has to score for them. I have to watch him next year and if continues to grow I will gladly say I was wrong and that he looks like he'll be a good player.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Now these are good hockey conversations.

You didnt have to say I was a clueless idiot for thinking someone is good when you didnt, no condesending undertones, just talk hockey.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Butler and DeCosta : Now these are good hockey conversations. You didnt have to say I was a clueless idiot for thinking someone is good when you didnt, no condesending undertones, just talk hockey.
    You won't find many of these on this forum. haha

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I recall reading that the teams looking seriously at making offers to both Butler and da Costa included the Bruins, but I'm not surprised they walked on both rather than make offers.  It was probably clear from the get go that neither player was interested in spending a lot of time developing in the minors.  Butler is 23, Da Costa will be 22 when next season starts.  They also got top rookie salaries - both make $900K - and short EL deals.  Butler's deal is up at the end of this year, and DaCosta's is up at the end of next year.  So if either makes any kind of impact, shows that they truly are players, they'll be looking at doubling those salaries or more.  Butler's numbers over a full season are roughly 50pts and over 20 goals.

What all this tells you is that a team that didn't have need of them right away really wasn't in the running - and if they had offered the same deal as Butler has right now, they'd probably be losing him to another team as an RFA.  I don't think this was the season for the Bruins to jam a couple of college FAs into the lineup.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I recall reading that the teams looking seriously at making offers to both Butler and da Costa included the Bruins, but I'm not surprised they walked on both rather than make offers.  It was probably clear from the get go that neither player was interested in spending a lot of time developing in the minors.  Butler is 23, Da Costa will be 22 when next season starts.  They also got top rookie salaries - both make $900K - and short EL deals.  Butler's deal is up at the end of this year, and DaCosta's is up at the end of next year.  So if either makes any kind of impact, shows that they truly are players, they'll be looking at doubling those salaries or more.  Butler's numbers over a full season are roughly 50pts and over 20 goals. What all this tells you is that a team that didn't have need of them right away really wasn't in the running - and if they had offered the same deal as Butler has right now, they'd probably be losing him to another team as an RFA.  I don't think this was the season for the Bruins to jam a couple of college FAs into the lineup.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

But Chiarelli not signing them is a rookie mistake, right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

ever think that these two guys might have had no interest in boston? just because someone doesn't sign with the Bs doesn't mean that the Bs didn't have interest 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Butler and DeCosta : But Chiarelli not signing them is a rookie mistake, right?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Yes.  Absolutely.  I thought I made that clear.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

http://www.necn.com/03/31/11/Morning-Skate-331-Bruins-did-have-Da-Cos/landing_sports.html?blockID=494680&feedID=6097

"People close to Da Costa’s situation indicated he wanted to go to an NHL team where he could play right away, and that was never going to materialize with a Bruins team locked and loaded for the playoffs."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

ever think that these two guys might have had no interest in boston? just because someone doesn't sign with the Bs doesn't mean that the Bs didn't have interest 
    Posted by thedauber1

PC said specifically on Butler that the Bruins didn't need a player like that.  Call me crazy, but someone who can score, play the PP and make things happen offensively is exactly what  the bruins need.  So almost Dauber, but PC said he had no interest.

NAS, so that wasn't a rookie mistake, but now we're out signing Camper in the same fashion?  A guy with far less pedigree than a Butler.  You contradict yourself, but you always think you're right.   You aren't worth arguing with.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

okay so basically your going off pure numbers. well, the game isn't just numbers. its a hockey game, there might be something PC doesn't like about butler, and he may or may not be correct. i can tell you one thing though, Butler isn't exactly a "character" guy

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Butler and DeCosta :  NAS, so that wasn't a rookie mistake, but now we're out signing Camper in the same fashion?  A guy with far less pedigree than a Butler.  You contradict yourself, but you always think you're right.   You aren't worth arguing with.

I don't understand how it's a "rookie mistake".  First, Chiarelli isn't a rookie.  He's been at this for years.  Second, most GMs didn't get this kid under contract.  In fact, 29 of 30 didn't.  If anything, so far (very limited window), Ottawa got lucky.

Did Brian Burke make a veteran mistake? 

Here's a quick list, minus Brian Murray, of guys who made a mistake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_general_managers

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.necn.com/03/31/11/Morning-Skate-331-Bruins-did-have-Da-Cos/landing_sports.html?blockID=494680&feedID=6097 " People close to Da Costa’s situation indicated he wanted to go to an NHL team where he could play right away, and that was never going to materialize with a Bruins team locked and loaded for the playoffs."

Exactly

What's the big deal anyway ? He looked okay,  that's it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Butler and DeCosta : I don't understand how it's a "rookie mistake".  First, Chiarelli isn't a rookie.  He's been at this for years.  Second, most GMs didn't get this kid under contract.  In fact, 29 of 30 didn't.  If anything, so far (very limited window), Ottawa got lucky. Did Brian Burke make a veteran mistake?  Here's a quick list, minus Brian Murray, of guys who made a mistake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_general_managers

This is my swan song on this conversation with you NAS, and Dauber, the two most difficult and maddening people to talk to on this board.

First you Dauber.  Atleast NAS says something when he posts, what are you talking about?  I'm going on stats?  Where do I list a stat anywhere in any of these posts?  And where do you get Butler is a bad character guy?  He's one of the most humble hard working kids you can come aross, if you knew the half of his work ethic you would never question him as a character guy.  I know, if someone doesnt wear a bruins uniform, they can't be as good at anything as someone on the Bruins, we all know where you come from on all of your arguments.

NAS, Chia's been at it a while huh, little over 3 years?  Chia let these kids walk out of his backyard because he "didn't need someone like that in his organization".  Butler had over 15 offers as I said above, so no it wasnt 1 of 30 gms who got it right (actually reports said the 3 other most aggressive contenders for his services were Pit, NJ, and Van, I dunno, 3 GMs who sort of know their way around the block, wouldn't ya say?).  Congrats, you can count that only 1 team gets to sign any given guy, very good work.  Your argument is clearly weak, as usual, if that's all you've got.  I'm not going to play your game of running in circles on an argument until you think the other person slips up.  Go back, read my posts before making your usual condesending comments, in this scenario you're not making a fool out of anyone, good attempt though. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

This is just another example of one PC missed, and it came right out of his backyard here.  It's that simple.  I know I'm being put on trial here because it's not ok to question the powers at be in Bruins land on this board. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He may turn into something, he may not.  Daniel Goneau and Jason Krog come to mind.  I guess Chiarelli wasn't willing to take a $900,000 chance on the kid.  We'll see in a year or two if this was money well invested by Ottawa.

The "own backyard" thing might have made sense before 1995, but with the power of the internet, it doesn't matter where guys are playing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

did i miss something?  when did butler become the next gretzky?  who cares if he's not a bruin?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Let's even take it one step further:

If they did sign him, where would he play?  He certainly wouldn't be on the NHL team, so they've have to put him in Providence right now.  If he doesn't make the team next season, which is unknown, he'd be in the AHL again, making almost a million dollars. 

He's at 15:25 for TOI in Ottawa.

Next season:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton

No room there.

Marchand/Bergeron/Seguin/Peverley

Not much room there.

Third line?  Fourth line?  He won't have the 2:12 of powerplay time he had this season, and he won't be playing with someone with the ability of Jason Spezza.

Why would Chiarelli want him?

Sections
Shortcuts