Calder Finalists (and Byng finalists)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Calder Finalists (and Byng finalists)

Both have been announced. 

Calder: MacKinnon, Palat, Johnson.

Byng: Marleau, O'Reilly, St. Louis.

I would like to boo the Pro Hockey Writers Association for the Calder voting.  I'd like to...but I can't, really.  Top three rookie scorers.  Palat and Johnson were 2/3 of the top line in Tampa for most of the year and filled the void for Stamkos and then for St Louis.  And MacKinnon was going to win this regardless (McKenzie was speculating about a healthy Hertl...). 

I do think Krug deserved a mention (deserves got nothing to do with it), though.  He was the fourth highest scoring rookie.  He was an important cog on the team with the best record in the league and on a PP that turned around completely.  Too bad for him.  He didn't even get much 7th man consideration!

It's probably good for the Bruins that he didn't make the finalist list.  Depending on how the clause is worded, it probably saves them a couple of hundred K in bonus money (sometimes the "winner of / finalist for a major award" bonus is top 5 or even top 10 in voting).

We've had the conversation about the Norris and recognizing defensive defensemen - I wonder if it would be worth a Calder for the D?  Krug might have gotten some love in the voting, but Miller never would and I think you could argue he's been as good or better than Krug playing a different type of game.

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Calder Finalists (and Byng finalists)

No need to mention anyone else in Calder contention.

MacKinnon wins that as much as objectively as Crosby winning the Art Ross.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Calder Trophy Voting:

1. MacKinnon

2. Not even close

3. Even further away

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't want to get pegged as a local, but it's looking like MacKinnon and O'Reilly for those awards to me.

Does anyone actually like winning the LB?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I have a lot of respect for the LB trophy. If you look at past players, there's a lot of winners who were tough as nails, and O'Reilly definitely suits that, he's constantly playing a grinding game. He just does it without being dirty. His one penalty was for going to the dot with a broken stick for pete's sake. The type of game he plays you would think he'd at least of gotten a holding or hooking call just by pure accident.

I wonder if Reilly Smith got any votes for the Byng - not deserving of it, but he did only have 14 PIM whilegetting over 50 points and playing a full 82 games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The Lady Byng trophy to me is a trophy that goes to really good players that are just a little short in being considered for the Hart.Gretzky won it one year when they felt bad because he didn't get the Hart,Bucyk,Datsyuk,Oates was nominated like 6 times(Susan Lucci like) and never won it.On occasion there have been double winners of the Hart & Byng,Hull,Gretzky,Sakic,Makita,but overall the Byng is like a poor mans Hart trophy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I disagree with 50, there are a lot of winners who would never been even thought of for the Hart the year they won. This is for something else - clean play. It's not like Kehoe, Middleton, Goring, Mullen, Demitra, Mogilny, MacMillan, Ratelle, etc. would have been even given a cursory look for the Hart the years they won. IMO this is for a different skill set entirely - playing the game at an elite level completely within the rules. Tough to do, and yeah occassionaly the scoring stars can do it, but pretty frequently it's less heralded guys, like an O'Reilly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Both have been announced. 

We've had the conversation about the Norris and recognizing defensive defensemen - I wonder if it would be worth a Calder for the D?  Krug might have gotten some love in the voting, but Miller never would and I think you could argue he's been as good or better than Krug playing a different type of game.

[/QUOTE]

Rookie of the year for D and O would be a better way to go about it. The offensive guy will nearly always get the nod over a d-man even if the d-man is phenomenal. By a quick count it looks like there have been 80 Calder winners. It breaks down like this:

Forwards = 54 winners, Goalies = 16 winners, Defense = 10 winners.

Seems like the D should be represented more than 10 out of 80. And if Gretzky wasn't deemed ineligible Bourque would not have won and it would be only 9 D Calders!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Rookie of the year for D and O would be a better way to go about it."

They should definitely make two for the rookie awards.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The last D to win it was Myers, and he won because he had 48 points - 3rd among rookies behind Duchene and Tavares.  Looking back now, it seems insane that they didn't give it to Duchene or Tavares.  Strange to think that Johnny Boychuk was also a rookie that year....

The last guy, and maybe the only guy, to win it for being a good defenseman was Barrett Jackman, and I remember at the time that he was sort of a "why not Zoidberg" winner because Nash had underwhelming rookie numbers, Zetterberg's 44 points wasn't blowing anyone away, and the rookie class as a whole didn't really impress anyone.  So they gave it to the guy who inherited Pronger's minutes and did an admirable job.  MacInnis hyped him mercilessly. 

Other than Jackman, the only other D to win the Calder without gaudy offensive numbers are the first two to win it: Kent Douglas of the Loafs and Jacques Laperriere.  In the Era ABO (After Bobby Orr), it's been Potvin, Bourque, Leetch, Suter, Berard and Myers with Jackman the outlier.

There's also the future Selke candidates to think about here, too.  The only guy in recent memory who you might say won for his all-around game is Drury.  He wasn't even the leading rookie scorer on his own team, though he did have 20 goals and was third overall in rookie scoring.  Somehow recognizing these guys would be interesting to me.