Can Spooner or Knight play for Bruins this year?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Can Spooner or Knight play for Bruins this year?

I think they can but it would eat a year of their entry-level contract (presuming both are signed to one). A more likely scenario is they go to Providence if that team makes the playoffs.....Of course, there is always an emergency call-up.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

They of course could play for Boston at any time after signing an entry level contract, but to my knowledge you have to be over 20 years to play in the AHL. Considering both were born in January I'd say they will play one more year in juniors and at the end of next season they will join Providence. They will do somethig similar to what Colburne and Caron did last year. They will finish in Juniors and join the Providence team for the last few games of the regular season after signing their new contracts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think it's a good idea at all.  Let these guys develop and come into camp next year.  If the Bruins need more bodies or an infusion of youth, they should look to Caron, Arniel, and Max Sauve (2 goals last night).  Those guys are at least somewhat acclimated to the pro game.

Seguin dominated the OHL last year, far more than Spooner or Knight have been, and he has had his own struggles adjusting to the pro game.

The Bruins are looking at a top 4 playoff seed -- no time to mess around with junior prospects.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Re: Can Spooner or Knight play for Bruins this year?:
    I don't think it's a good idea at all.  Let these guys develop and come into camp next year.  If the Bruins need more bodies or an infusion of youth, they should look to Caron, Arniel, and Max Sauve (2 goals last night).  Those guys are at least somewhat acclimated to the pro game. Seguin dominated the OHL last year, far more than Spooner or Knight have been, and he has had his own struggles adjusting to the pro game. The Bruins are looking at a top 4 playoff seed -- no time to mess around with junior prospects.
    Posted by Fletcher1

All around the OHL is down in terms of scoring, so thats more a reflection of the league than the player.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Can Spooner or Knight play for Bruins this year? : All around the OHL is down in terms of scoring, so thats more a reflection of the league than the player.
    Posted by xenimus

Yeah, but I don't think the league-wide scoring matters at all for this discussion though.  The point totals don't really matter.

Last year's OHL MVP has struggled to adjust to the pro game.  Why would we think a lesser player in the OHL this year would do better on the Bruins, during a playoff run, when the Bruins already have plenty of pro depth at forward?

They wouldn't.  Let them develop and compete for a spot next year.  They are currently below Caron, Sauve, and Arniel on the depth chart anyhow, IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Can Spooner or Knight play for Bruins this year? : Yeah, but I don't think the league-wide scoring matters at all for this discussion though.  The point totals don't really matter. Last year's OHL MVP has struggled to adjust to the pro game.  Why would we think a lesser player in the OHL this year would do better on the Bruins, during a playoff run, when the Bruins already have plenty of pro depth at forward? They wouldn't.  Let them develop and compete for a spot next year.  They are currently below Caron, Sauve, and Arniel on the depth chart anyhow, IMO.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Agreed . The jump to the NHL for an 18-19 year old is difficult. Doing that in the middle of a playoff chase is even harder. Most teams have ramped up their play come March compared to starting out the season in October. If needed stick with the players in Providence for any callups.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Can Spooner or Knight play for Bruins this year? : Agreed . The jump to the NHL for an 18-19 year old is difficult. Doing that in the middle of a playoff chase is even harder. Most teams have ramped up their play come March compared to starting out the season in October. If needed stick with the players in Providence for any callups.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

It's about time you ramped up your play and answered this question:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3ab95ec70d-a8fb-47e2-833b-7bf6b7a35997&plckCurrentPage=5

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Cancer

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Cancer
    Posted by pauly1

I couldn't agree more, pauly1.  People who start attack threads based on lies and misinformation are cancerous.  These people should be known for what they are by anyone and everyone who might be conned into thinking that their words and thoughts are always valid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

NAS, you'll have to let it go eventually. he'll never reply to any of your posts. remember that clouseau analysis i gave you? i was kidding, but not really. you're going to make yourself go crazy if you don't let it go.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS, you'll have to let it go eventually. he'll never reply to any of your posts. remember that clouseau analysis i gave you? i was kidding, but not really. you're going to make yourself go crazy if you don't let it go.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

Not at all, my friend.  I have the links bookmarked, so every time that fraud/liar shows up around these parts, I can remind people that he's a fraud and a coward.

Maybe he will think twice about starting attack threads with misinformation next time.

The best thing would be for him to just say, "Ok, I was wrong.  Sorry about those threads."    Instead, he tried (very, very unsuccessfully) to start ANOTHER thread to defame me.  He'll keep coming back, and I'll keep bringing it up until he acts like a man or disappears.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Spooner, Knight or any other Junior prospect can play for the Bruins once their junior team is illiminated and they sign an entry contract.  Not until then.  It does not burn a year of their entry contract though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

If they sign and play it will affect their first year. However, it's a moot perspective. As noted, these guys are excellent prospects for the future, and are in line behind, Arneil, Caron, Sauve etc. This is all part of the flow that Chiarelli has been building for the past 4 years, that some trolls are criticizing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I believe Janney came right from college and lit up some fire that is only bruins that i can think of right now. And Juneau right after WJC lit fire for the bruins. Correct me if i am wrong.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Janney is a good example and Joyce came in with him that same year at the end of the season.  There is a set number of games a  rookie can play in before it counts as 1 full year of service.  I believe it is 9 or 10 games.  Remember at the beginning of the season there was some talk of sending Seguin back to Juniors? They had to decide before he earned 1 full season of NHL service which was around 8-10 games.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I don't think it's a good idea at all.  Let these guys develop and come into camp next year.  If the Bruins need more bodies or an infusion of youth, they should look to Caron, Arniel, and Max Sauve (2 goals last night).  Those guys are at least somewhat acclimated to the pro game. Seguin dominated the OHL last year, far more than Spooner or Knight have been, and he has had his own struggles adjusting to the pro game. The Bruins are looking at a top 4 playoff seed -- no time to mess around with junior prospects.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Nice post Fletch! I agree. There's a time & a place for a team to "take a look at, or give prospects a taste." If there's a scenerio where their respective Jr teams aren't playing anymore & The baby B's are? Then maybe, but the parent club I think should be out of the question this year. I think the B's have their hands full as it is trying to figure out where Seguin, Kampner & McQuaid are going to fit in.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If either plays 10 games, it counts as a year on his entry level deal.  If he plays 9 or fewer it doesn't. Neither has a deal as yet.  Neither can play in Providence for the same reason Seguin can't.  Last year's OHL scoring leaders topped out at 106, 106, 94, 93, 93, 93 (1st-6th).  Akeson, at 102 points, has a few games to match or exceed 106, Toffoli is looking at an outside shot at 100, Strome will top 94, Yakubov and Ellis have a shot at 90+.  In other words, at the top of the OHL, scoring isn't really down.  Of course, there's that Skinner kid in Carolina....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I forgot that out of college is not the same as out of Jr.  Physical maturity and age are part of the equation.

Neither Spooner nor Knight will play a pro game this year.  Why would you want them to?  Neither is ready.  Both have yet to really dominate as Jrs and neither is even leading his team in scoring.  Neither is even top 20.  They will get what some recommended for TS - another year of junior to lead and dominate.

Sections
Shortcuts