Can this bruins roster repeat?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Can this bruins roster repeat?

Can we realistically expect this roster to provide a repeat?  This is not a retorical question, I am really on the fence here.  On one hand, the core of the cup team is coming back.  On the other hand, can we expect TT to be historically good again, how can u ever win with a PP like that again, and while guys like ryder and recchi weren't world beaters, they did provide some big time moments in the cup run? 

Another obvious point, it's extremely hard to win a cup, and you need glove saves from ryder, pucks hitting chara infront of the net, tips, bounces, etc, which we got our share of.

In the end, I'm glad we didnt make any drastic UFA expenditures that will put the future of keeping the team together in question.  On the other hand, I wish we used some of this cap space to acquire another piece that makes us that much better on D or offensively.  I think we need a little something extra this year, so we don't need TT to be god like to win it all again.  Is the b's brass banking on Seguin or another young guy to provide that punch this coming year?  Is that realistic?

One thing we can be thankful for as long suffering B's fans, this team will be in the thick of things again for 2011/2012.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Can this bruins roster repeat?

I think they can.  What they'll lose in luck, they'll gain in experience.  Most of the team's stars are so young, it'll be years before they plateau.

Lucky bounces turn into quality goals.

Lucky saves turn into blocked shots.

Unlike most teams that win it all, the current B's are full of guys at their highest level that aren't declining yet (Chara, Thomas) and a young crew that is just going to get better.

Yes, it's takes a lot to win it twice, but it's just as easy to hope for it than it is to find reasons why they won't.

I think this team has it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Couldthisbetheyear. Show Couldthisbetheyear's posts

Absolutely we can win again.  Let Rask play 30 games to give Timmy a rest.  We still have guys ready to hit their prime....lucic, krejci and horton will have a much better year.  Plus Marchand and Seguin only to get better.  Toss in the Pouliot factor and the Caron factor and we are looking good.  I still think we need at least 1 veteran leadership type.....if Modonna still has legs he would be the guy.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Can't predict health which leads to whom PC will have to pick up at the deadline and which winger will step up on the PP ?

Hope is what I have for putrid the powerplay. Pouliot, Seguin and Corvo have to step up. Krejci won't shoot he wants to make the pretty pass, Lucic did not get himself open well enough last season when Julien through him out there, Horton sometimes takes forever take his shot during the PP.

This leads me to Corvo and Seguin. I can't take another season of watching Siedenberg on the PP even though he tried valiantly he just doesn't have the good low hard accurate shot from the point. Joe has the shot and I think he will improve the PP. I think this is a big year for Tyler and the man advantage could get him off to a nice start.  

Pouliot is the wild card if he can come out of the gates flying and earn some time on the PP he has a good quick release. 5 on 5 not worried at all the Bruins are still the best team in the league nothing to worry about there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

What I think is underrated is the fact that WHEN (not if, but WHEN) Savy is still on LTIR during the season, we will have a really, really good amount of cap space, and come the trade deadline, we will be able to take on pretty much any salary, or get multiple parts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

From the point of view of talent and experience and knowing what it takes to get the job done - absolutely they can win again.  What we saw this year however is just how even the top teams are and who wins it all, comes down to a lucky bounce or a key injury or lack there of. Repeating is tough because of the long grind but I do expect if not this year that in the next 2 or 3 years that the Bruins will make another serious bid for the Cup, and like this time hopefully they will again close the deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Can they repeat?  Yes. 

Will they repeat?  Highly unlikely but as many have stated, their window for success is wide open for years to come.

In fact, I would be surprised if ANY team wins back to back Cups.  It's just too hard to do, with so many good teams looking to play dragonslayer over the previous champions. 

The Hockey Gods just aren't that kind anymore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Yes, with some minor changes. Rask will play more frequently, and when he shows well, Claude will keep him in there; They can no longer confuse "spirit" with results. Shawn Thornton is a leader in the "spirit" category, but needs to be replaced for better overall results. Could be either Caron or Pouliot. Unlike Chicago, there has not been any Cap induced house-cleaning, so the added experience, is across the board, and should show up in Luci, Horton, Kreji, And Seguin if he plays with Bergeron and Marchand. The weakest group is on defense where Boychuck is a major weakness, and Ference needs to repeat his steady play. McQuaid should show more experience; Seids should play a shut down role with Chara; and Corvo should provide added pop on the PP. Coaching/ designing/ creating a productive PP needs an infusion that does not seem to exist on Claude's staff. Teams like Buffalo have invested in more talent at the coaching level; the Bruins have invested in more AHL coaching talent; but, Claude's autocracy/stubborness may prove to be disruptive

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Can this bruins roster repeat?:
    I think they can.  What they'll lose in luck, they'll gain in experience.  Most of the team's stars are so young, it'll be years before they plateau. Lucky bounces turn into quality goals. Lucky saves turn into blocked shots. Unlike most teams that win it all, the current B's are full of guys at their highest level that aren't declining yet (Chara, Thomas) and a young crew that is just going to get better. Yes, it's takes a lot to win it twice, but it's just as easy to hope for it than it is to find reasons why they won't. I think this team has it.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Agree with this 100%.  There are plenty of guys should get better.  If that happens that will more that make up for any slides.  Better and more experienced makes for a good shot at a repeat or one in the next couple of years. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Can they repeat?  Yes.  Will they repeat?  Highly unlikely but as many have stated, their window for success is wide open for years to come. In fact, I would be surprised if ANY team wins back to back Cups.  It's just too hard to do, with so many good teams looking to play dragonslayer over the previous champions.  The Hockey Gods just aren't that kind anymore.
    Posted by hangnail

Obviously, as defending Champions, and not having undergone the salary-cap imposed dismantling that the Blackhawks were subjected to two years ago, the Bruins will be one of the favourites to win in 2012. 

As with each year, there are usually about a half dozen teams with very good chances to win, and another 4 or so dark horses.

As with this year, Thomas will be the key.  If he saves his best for the playoffs, and can repeat the past year's heroics, I expect the B's to at least get to the Eastern Conference Finals.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Of course they can repeat.

Do I expect it? Absolutely not. Nobody's repeated in almost 15 years. More often than not, teams that win the Cup don't go back to the Finals, let alone win it all. The expression "don't bet against history" does have some merit.

At the same time, unlike a lot of those other past Champions, the Bruins haven't lost any real key guys. A good portion of the team is young and improving as opposed to older teams that reached their nadir and then faded. Tim Thomas isn't going to all of a sudden become mediocre. Counting the Bruins out would be stupid.

As usual, there will be about 4 or 5 teams that will be looked at as heavy favorites to win it all. Boston will be one of them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Can this bruins roster repeat?:
    Can we realistically expect this roster to provide a repeat?  This is not a retorical question, I am really on the fence here.  On one hand, the core of the cup team is coming back.  On the other hand, can we expect TT to be historically good again, how can u ever win with a PP like that again, and while guys like ryder and recchi weren't world beaters, they did provide some big time moments in the cup run?  Another obvious point, it's extremely hard to win a cup, and you need glove saves from ryder, pucks hitting chara infront of the net, tips, bounces, etc, which we got our share of. In the end, I'm glad we didnt make any drastic UFA expenditures that will put the future of keeping the team together in question.  On the other hand, I wish we used some of this cap space to acquire another piece that makes us that much better on D or offensively.  I think we need a little something extra this year, so we don't need TT to be god like to win it all again.  Is the b's brass banking on Seguin or another young guy to provide that punch this coming year?  Is that realistic? One thing we can be thankful for as long suffering B's fans, this team will be in the thick of things again for 2011/2012.
    Posted by bigbadbruinsfan

This team has grown over the past few years into champions. Yet another new challenge lies before them. Defence of the Cup.They played so hard to win it all, at such a high level, some type of let down will not surprise me. Julien too will have a new task at hand in keeping them hungry. I think it will be very important to get Rask into the mix to keep THOMAS focused, and to help Tuuka regain his form. Don't forget that the pissburgh fans believe they were left out of the run with the loss of sid and malkin. That being said, they most certainly will be in the mix for years to come. This team has restored pride in the organization and themselves. Now they have set the bar even higher and they will respond.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: Can this bruins roster repeat? : Obviously, as defending Champions, and not having undergone the salary-cap imposed dismantling that the Blackhawks were subjected to two years ago, the Bruins will be one of the favourites to win in 2012.  As with each year, there are usually about a half dozen teams with very good chances to win, and another 4 or so dark horses. As with this year, Thomas will be the key.  If he saves his best for the playoffs, and can repeat the past year's heroics, I expect the B's to at least get to the Eastern Conference Finals.
    Posted by 49-North

I would say that you are being a little generous with this statement.  Seventy percent of the Staney Cups over the last 40 years have been won by a 1 or 2 seed.  So I would say that 4 teams have a very good chance to win, and another 4-6 at least have a shot.

Seeds 6-8 have never won, so there's 6 teams that are just taking up space and selling tickets.

Also, while Thomas was unbelievable in the finals, there were games (particularly in the Montreal series) where he wasn't.  This Cup had as much to do with the Bruins dictating their style of play to Vancouver as it did with TT shutting the door.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I think they can.  What they'll lose in luck, they'll gain in experience.  Most of the team's stars are so young, it'll be years before they plateau. Lucky bounces turn into quality goals. Lucky saves turn into blocked shots. Unlike most teams that win it all, the current B's are full of guys at their highest level that aren't declining yet (Chara, Thomas) and a young crew that is just going to get better. Yes, it's takes a lot to win it twice, but it's just as easy to hope for it than it is to find reasons why they won't. I think this team has it.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Great post. I agree whole-heartedly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

.  The Hockey Gods just aren't that kind anymore.
    Posted by hangnail

While I understand your point, I'm going to say after 3 Game 7 wins, 2 0-2 deficit comebacks, a Ryder ball hockey save, a couple unconscious Chara blocks, a few career-defining performances and some other moments I still don't believe, the Hockey Gods have proven to be pretty kind.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

So another question along these lines (as I pointed out, repeating is incredibly difficult, and we have covered that), but do you guys wish we did more to solidfy the rest of the team infront of TT?  We have stood still all in all, which is more than can be said for the past 3 or so winners, even Det, and Pit continues to reinvent themselves with new vets (losses of hossa for both), and of course we know about chi. 

Should we have been in on some of the players dealt in the off season so far, or on anyone who could be moved now?  Any UFA's?  I was hoping for a decent acquisition this off season (i like corvo) to upgrade this roster a bit to illeviate some pressure off TT from having to be floating on air for us to win again.

I hope a Krejci extension is in the works soon too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: Can this bruins roster repeat? : While I understand your point, I'm going to say after 3 Game 7 wins, 2 0-2 deficit comebacks, a Ryder ball hockey save, a couple unconscious Chara blocks, a few career-defining performances and some other moments I still don't believe, the Hockey Gods have proven to be pretty kind.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

My point is the B's got their deserved dose of the Hockey Gods THIS year; it's unlikely we'll see it again in 2011-2012.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

So another question along these lines (as I pointed out, repeating is incredibly difficult, and we have covered that), but do you guys wish we did more to solidfy the rest of the team infront of TT?  We have stood still all in all, which is more than can be said for the past 3 or so winners, even Det, and Pit continues to reinvent themselves with new vets (losses of hossa for both), and of course we know about chi.  Should we have been in on some of the players dealt in the off season so far, or on anyone who could be moved now?  Any UFA's?  I was hoping for a decent acquisition this off season (i like corvo) to upgrade this roster a bit to illeviate some pressure off TT from having to be floating on air for us to win again. I hope a Krejci extension is in the works soon too.

Why?  We just won the Cup...Fill the needs when we know what they are next February.  In Chiarelli we trust.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

So another question along these lines (as I pointed out, repeating is incredibly difficult, and we have covered that), but do you guys wish we did more to solidfy the rest of the team infront of TT?  We have stood still all in all, which is more than can be said for the past 3 or so winners, even Det, and Pit continues to reinvent themselves with new vets (losses of hossa for both), and of course we know about chi.  Should we have been in on some of the players dealt in the off season so far, or on anyone who could be moved now?  Any UFA's?  I was hoping for a decent acquisition this off season (i like corvo) to upgrade this roster a bit to illeviate some pressure off TT from having to be floating on air for us to win again. I hope a Krejci extension is in the works soon too.

I hear what you are saying, and I was thinking along those lines as well, then a few posters around here pointed out that there wasn't really all that much available and what was available was stupid expensive.  So, that leaves saving the cap space for deadline trades after we see what this teams weakness are.  The only issue I have with this is are we prepared to part with assets to make that happen.  I know we have a few, but how much are we willing to part with to acquire that piece.  Salary won't be the issue, how much we give up will be. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

It was lucky the Bs won the Cup now.  Yikes!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Injuries are the biggest factor.  I think we've had the best team in the league the last 3 seasons, but injuries to Savard, Thomas and Krejci (among others) have killed us.  No reason they cant repeat if everyone stays healthy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Repeat is beside the point.  The consequences of the fact that they are currently the champions probably balance out - target vs. intimidation+experience. Really, the question is can this roster win in 2011-12.  It's 96% the same roster as last year, so yes, they can win, but there are two big questions:

Are they equal or better with Corvo/Pouliot in place of Kaberle/Ryder?
         - I say equal to, all things considered.

Is there another team that has gotten significantly better?  Enough to think they change the balance of power? 

Yes, the Capitals.  They have a goaltender who can cause fits and more character depth.  Two big needs for that team.  I'm not saying they'll win a la Kelvana, but if they meet the Bruins in the East finals, the Bruins will be underdogs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

The B's created their own luck! They never quit, they never got down on themselves when things got tough. They just got tougher mentally. They buckled down & worked their tails off to make things happen for them. They never made the mistake of thinking that it would just happen.

The B's can repeat. I think they learned a lot about themselves & they now have tasted victory. It's how bad do they want it back! It has nothing to do with talent; luck; fate or injuries. All of those things are factors; but it's been proven time & time again. Talent doesn't gaurantee championships. It's the amount of desire you put into wanting it! And it can't be just 2 or 3 on the team it has to be everybody!

Now; I'm going to predict that the final 4 teams in the East will be. Bos; Buff; Wash & Pitts. Bos will either face Buff or Was in the ECF's! It could end up being the battle of the US Oylmpic goalie's in the ECF.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Response to Re: Can this bruins roster repeat? : Great post. I agree whole-heartedly.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I agree wholeheartedly with DEZ who agrees wholeheartedly with this post !

LOL

Sections
Shortcuts