Can this bruins roster repeat?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Re: Can this bruins roster repeat?

Everyone has basically stated the obvious. The Bruins are definitely going to contend for the cup this coming season because the roster is more or less intact.  They are winners now and unless they suffer an unusual amount fo injuries they will contend for the cup once again.

They will give Julien the benefit of the doubt this year...no more grumblings about his stringent defensive system. These guys have tasted sucess and will want to repeat . They will be a younger more energetic team with plenty of veteran leadership.

Enjoy this and the next 5 seasons. It's been long in coming but we're finally where we hoped to be .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

The bruins can repeat, this roster is good enough, to repeat this year will be difficult with the short off season.. As far as repeating this season though, I personally think it will hinge on how far seguin goes in one season, if he can step in and really contribute, play significant minutes, and post big numbers, it'll go a long ways in helping the bruins repeat..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In Response to Can this bruins roster repeat?:
    [QUOTE]Can we realistically expect this roster to provide a repeat?  This is not a retorical question, I am really on the fence here.  On one hand, the core of the cup team is coming back.  On the other hand, can we expect TT to be historically good again, how can u ever win with a PP like that again, and while guys like ryder and recchi weren't world beaters, they did provide some big time moments in the cup run?  Another obvious point, it's extremely hard to win a cup, and you need glove saves from ryder, pucks hitting chara infront of the net, tips, bounces, etc, which we got our share of. In the end, I'm glad we didnt make any drastic UFA expenditures that will put the future of keeping the team together in question.  On the other hand, I wish we used some of this cap space to acquire another piece that makes us that much better on D or offensively.  I think we need a little something extra this year, so we don't need TT to be god like to win it all again.  Is the b's brass banking on Seguin or another young guy to provide that punch this coming year?  Is that realistic? One thing we can be thankful for as long suffering B's fans, this team will be in the thick of things again for 2011/2012.
    Posted by bigbadbruinsfan[/QUOTE]

I hope that your question is a joke ...just read this :
    Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

The B's need another scorer. Otherwise even if Timmay slips just a little, to a normal human's GAA of about 2.3, the B's will be allowing as many goals as they score. Not a recipe to repeat. That's why I was hoping for Simon Gagne. If we get a guy like Shea Weber, however, we can pick up those goals from the backend and PP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

My concern isn't the Bruins, it's Pittsburgh, Washington, & TBay.

To write Pittsburgh off would be a large mistake. IF Syd is back, then they are a tough team to bet against. Even without him, and Malkin, they are a pretty good team. Syd is the BEST player in hockey by a country mile, so watch out.

I think Washington / Ovie are very hungry. Not to be dismissed too easily.

TB is a player or 2 away from being great. Hopefully not for another year or 2, but Marty St Louis is driven. 

If Seguin really steps up, and they get another top level D, then they have a good chance to get out of the East. I still don't think Krejci is a true #1 Center. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

All of last season I was thinking they were one year away from being Champs, so I'd say they can definitely repeat.  NAS pretty much said all that needs to be said about why they can and why we should all believe they can/will.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Can this bruins roster repeat?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can this bruins roster repeat? : I would say that you are being a little generous with this statement.  Seventy percent of the Staney Cups over the last 40 years have been won by a 1 or 2 seed.  So I would say that 4 teams have a very good chance to win, and another 4-6 at least have a shot. Seeds 6-8 have never won, so there's 6 teams that are just taking up space and selling tickets. Also, while Thomas was unbelievable in the finals, there were games (particularly in the Montreal series) where he wasn't.  This Cup had as much to do with the Bruins dictating their style of play to Vancouver as it did with TT shutting the door.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

I don't think we're disagreeing here.  I said 6 teams with a good shot, 4 more dark horses, for a total of 10 decent contenders.  You said 4 with a very good chance, and 4-6 with a shot, for a total of 8-10.  I'm figuring the Canucks, Wings, Sharks and maybe Kings from the West, and Bruins, Caps, Flyers, Pens   and Lightning from the East.  That's 9 teams.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can this bruins roster repeat? : I don't think we're disagreeing here.  I said 6 teams with a good shot, 4 more dark horses, for a total of 10 decent contenders.  You said 4 with a very good chance, and 4-6 with a shot, for a total of 8-10.  I'm figuring the Canucks, Wings, Sharks and maybe Kings from the West, and Bruins, Caps, Flyers, Pens   and Lightning from the East.  That's 9 teams.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    You could probably still throw the Hawks into the mix also. No doubt that all of the teams mentioned have a legitimate shot at winning the Cup.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can this bruins roster repeat? : I don't think we're disagreeing here.  I said 6 teams with a good shot, 4 more dark horses, for a total of 10 decent contenders.  You said 4 with a very good chance, and 4-6 with a shot, for a total of 8-10.  I'm figuring the Canucks, Wings, Sharks and maybe Kings from the West, and Bruins, Caps, Flyers, Pens   and Lightning from the East.  That's 9 teams.

I don't believe in the Flyers at all.  Pronger is a year older and a year more broken, and they moved two huge scoring pieces for a goaltender who may or may not be their answer.

Caps and Pens, absolutely, but Tampa still doesn't have goaltending or a legit defenseman beyond their top 3.

Canucks...maybe.  The defense is down and so is Kesler.  Can Luongo bounce back or get moved so Schneider can play?  LA doesn't impress me as a team.  They have a few great players, but as a team, they just aren't very good.  Detroit is just another year older.  I'd be surprised if they're in the top four in the conference.  San Jose is still a very good team.

Wow, the more I look at it, the more the West is pretty bad.

Go Prince of Wales!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can this bruins roster repeat? : I don't believe in the Flyers at all.  Pronger is a year older and a year more broken, and they moved two huge scoring pieces for a goaltender who may or may not be their answer. Caps and Pens, absolutely, but Tampa still doesn't have goaltending or a legit defenseman beyond their top 3. Canucks...maybe.  The defense is down and so is Kesler.  Can Luongo bounce back or get moved so Schneider can play?  LA doesn't impress me as a team.  They have a few great players, but as a team, they just aren't very good.  Detroit is just another year older.  I'd be surprised if they're in the top four in the conference.  San Jose is still a very good team. Wow, the more I look at it, the more the West is pretty bad. Go Prince of Wales!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I agree, the Cup winner comes out of the East again next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

So many variables, though...

Injuries, players who "come out of nowhere" after spending years on the farm or playing in Europe, and of course, trade deadline deals. 

Maybe the Sabres have added enough pieces, and can find some chemistry, and if Miller catches fire at the right time...?

I'd hate to be the guys writing the preview pieces for THN this year. Who knows how everything is going to shake out?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]My concern isn't the Bruins, it's Pittsburgh, Washington, & TBay. To write Pittsburgh off would be a large mistake. IF Syd is back, then they are a tough team to bet against. Even without him, and Malkin, they are a pretty good team. Syd is the BEST player in hockey by a country mile, so watch out. I think Washington / Ovie are very hungry. Not to be dismissed too easily. TB is a player or 2 away from being great. Hopefully not for another year or 2, but Marty St Louis is driven.  If Seguin really steps up, and they get another top level D, then they have a good chance to get out of the East. I still don't think Krejci is a true #1 Center. 
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]
    I'm far more worried about Buffalo than I am TBay at this juncture. Roloson will be good; but will he be able to do it in the regular season & play-offs? Roloson will be an actual 42 yrs old. There will be those that say TT will be 38 this season; but he doesn't have the same amount of mileage on his body that DR has. It will make a difference.
    The other thing about the Sabers that few seem to forget is they picked up Regehr who will be a HUGE asset to Tyler Myers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

This has been a good mid-summer discussion, we need more of them if possible. Current reviews of upcoming players is providing some good views. Does anyone have some in-depth on Caron. If I recall he was  suprisingly good early in the season, but then was sent to Providence for more ice time. We now know that Murray's ranting turned a number of players off, and many never seemed to progress, and we all wondered what happened after Scott Gordon left. Has the added year helped Caron? Is he involved in a solid summer training program like the Gary Robert's enterprise? Does anyone have any perspective?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]So many variables, though... Injuries, players who "come out of nowhere" after spending years on the farm or playing in Europe, and of course, trade deadline deals.  Maybe the Sabres have added enough pieces, and can find some chemistry, and if Miller catches fire at the right time...? I'd hate to be the guys writing the preview pieces for THN this year. Who knows how everything is going to shake out?

Good point, fact is their opinions are no more valid than yours, mine, or any of the trolls here.  They just get paid for them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

with timmy thomas in nets the bruins are always a threat

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]with timmy thomas in nets the bruins are always a threat
    Posted by Kanes-Donuts[/QUOTE]

Good God man!! And if the B's don't find ways to score they won't be! You gotta broaden your mind Kanes! I think TT is the best on the planet right now too; but he's not the ONLY player the B's need to win games! Somebody has to bring the right players in; somebody has to coach; somebody has to score & somebody has to check! Hockey is a team game. Yes; a goalie can steal a game for you; but the goalie can't DO IT all alone! If the B's are tied 0-0 & they're being outshot 50-0 at the end of regulation. If Lucic scores in OT; doesn`t that mean TT had some help to get the win! I know you already know this; but you make it sound that TT is the only member of the Boston Bruins! Give it a rest already!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Not to put words in Kanes' mouth, but I think he's referring to the oft-seen result that a hot goalie can carry a team a long way in the playoffs, while the opposite can sink an otherwise good team in a hurry.  And it's almost impossible to forecast which of the situations will actually occur:

a) a mediocre goalie gets hot at the right moment (i.e. the Michael Leighton situation in the 2010 ECF for Philly)
    b) a stud goalie lives up to expectations (TT last year)
    c) a stud goalie not delivering in the crunch (Luongo)
    d) rookie breaks out during playoffs (Cam Ward & several Habs goalies)

Year after year, the goalie is the 'difference maker' in the playoffs.  And even though TT had a couple of rough spots in the playoffs, he played his best when it counted the most.

So, yes, with TT playing well (he doesn't even need to have another monster season like last year), the Bruins are considered leading contenders.  I agree that the B's need to get better on the PP, though. It's amazing that the Cup Winners' PP was ranked 20th in the regular season and 14th in the playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I would have liked to see them address some of the flaws an ubelievable hot goalie covers up. Did TT win it by himself? No, but he won them some games they shouldnt have won.

Lost Recchi, Ryder,Kaberle.

Gained, Corvo, Pouliot, perhaps a rookie steps in or they add a veteran right before the season like they did with Metropolit & Begin in years past. I'd like their chances alot better had they held on to Kaberle. Two biggest things they have to overcome are possibe injuries and the health of Crosby/Malkin.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Not to put words in Kanes' mouth, but I think he's referring to the oft-seen result that a hot goalie can carry a team a long way in the playoffs, while the opposite can sink an otherwise good team in a hurry.  And it's almost impossible to forecast which of the situations will actually occur: a) a mediocre goalie gets hot at the right moment (i.e. the Michael Leighton situation in the 2010 ECF for Philly) b) a stud goalie lives up to expectations (TT last year) c) a stud goalie not delivering in the crunch (Luongo) d) rookie breaks out during playoffs (Cam Ward & several Habs goalies) Year after year, the goalie is the 'difference maker' in the playoffs.  And even though TT had a couple of rough spots in the playoffs, he played his best when it counted the most. So, yes, with TT playing well (he doesn't even need to have another monster season like last year), the Bruins are considered leading contenders.  I agree that the B's need to get better on the PP, though. It's amazing that the Cup Winners' PP was ranked 20th in the regular season and 14th in the playoffs.
    No 49. I don't think you know the whole story about Kanes. He's got a one track mind. Every regular on here knows what a big TT fan I've been & am; but I also look outside the box. With Kanes it's all about Thomas.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Not to put words in Kanes' mouth, but I think he's referring to the oft-seen result that a hot goalie can carry a team a long way in the playoffs, while the opposite can sink an otherwise good team in a hurry.  And it's almost impossible to forecast which of the situations will actually occur: a) a mediocre goalie gets hot at the right moment (i.e. the Michael Leighton situation in the 2010 ECF for Philly) b) a stud goalie lives up to expectations (TT last year) c) a stud goalie not delivering in the crunch (Luongo) d) rookie breaks out during playoffs (Cam Ward & several Habs goalies) Year after year, the goalie is the 'difference maker' in the playoffs.  And even though TT had a couple of rough spots in the playoffs, he played his best when it counted the most. So, yes, with TT playing well (he doesn't even need to have another monster season like last year), the Bruins are considered leading contenders.  I agree that the B's need to get better on the PP, though. It's amazing that the Cup Winners' PP was ranked 20th in the regular season and 14th in the playoffs.

One smart post 49th.  If you asked many on here what the Bs chances were before the playoffs the answer would have been short of a third round victory.  We all hope "our" team wins, the fact is there are many variables.  The cap space limits dynasties (Chicago), injuries can quickly diminish a quality team (Boston in 2010, Montreal on defense 2011, and certainly Vancouver in 2011 during the Cup.  The age of players, focus of the veterans, other intangibles such as leadership, intelligence, and coaching that can determine a victor.  My listing of Eastern Conference favorites is listed under one of Asmaha's threads. If I were to list the Western Conference, the list would be San Jose and LA Kings as favs.  Vancouver on defense is a real question mark imo.  Chicago is a force but I personally feel there moves this summer are not quality.  Detriot has not come up with one of there genius draft picks in some years, the age may be a downfall.  Parenthetically speaking, some are saying Weber will sign with Detriot in 2013.  Anyway back on the topic, the Bs are definitely in the running with the young team.  Coaching and motivation is the key!  Cheers from NH.