Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans?

Watching the NHL channel last night, they showed the documentary on the 1972 Canada / USSR showdown series.  I remember this as just one of the most exciting things Id ever seen.  Game 8 was every bit as good as the 1980 game. Bobby Clarke breaking an ankle with a slash was a nice touch, too.

I remembered that the Canada fans booed the Canadians off the ice after Game 4... Esposito being interviewed and being so disappointed in the fans' behavior.  Being called all sorts of vile names, etc, as he walked across the ice.

Didn't remember that those elegant fans were in fact in Vancouver.

Anyone see this show?  Any of my Canadian friends remember whether this behavior was exclusive of the passionate Vancouver fanbase or was it like that all across Canada?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Re: Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans?

The negativity was building from Game 1, which the USSR won, quite easily. The media, team and management thought the series was going to be a cake walk, and the fans were disappointed very early, because they believed it, too. Then grew from there.

You could say the fans were the early warning system. Esposito blew revelry, the team woke up and the rest is history.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Wasn't born yet, but my Dad saw game 3 in the Winnipeg Arena, and he's told me he was disgusted by the fans' behaviour - every bit as bad as Vancouver according to him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans?:
    [QUOTE]Watching the NHL channel last night, they showed the documentary on the 1972 Canada / USSR showdown series.  I remember this as just one of the most exciting things Id ever seen.  Game 8 was every bit as good as the 1980 game. Bobby Clarke breaking an ankle with a slash was a nice touch, too. I remembered that the Canada fans booed the Canadians off the ice after Game 4... Esposito being interviewed and being so disappointed in the fans' behavior.  Being called all sorts of vile names, etc, as he walked across the ice. Didn't remember that those elegant fans were in fact in Vancouver. Anyone see this show?  Any of my Canadian friends remember whether this behavior was exclusive of the passionate Vancouver fanbase or was it like that all across Canada?
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

I watched a show on it last year.  I'm not sure if it was the same one.

I found it incredible that fans would boo players from their country in an international game.

I also find it ridiculous that people hold Clarke in high regard for slashing Kharlamov and breaking his ankle.  In order to win, they needed to take out the other team's best forward.  I have always felt the victory should have been awarded to the Red Army for this act of cowardice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I remember watching the movie and that part where Clarke cracks Kharlamov purposely and as a Canadian I didn't feel Canada won anything.  It was almost as if they cheated. 
    Sure the aftermath and all the magic of Henderson coming off the bench and how they won "behind enemy lines " , Espo doing the cut throat from the penalty box etc... that's the drama they like to show and that's what overshadows and hides the likes of what Clarke did. 
    Maybe Canada would have still won and maybe Canada should never have been in that position either to win the last game of the series , it remains this series brought humility to Canadians that good hockey doesn't only come from Canada or played in North America, a reality check.
    Oh an yes the topic , it was fans from Vancouver but I think it was from a radio station out there. If it were a radio station from Calgary I think we would heard the same thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

As much as the Summit Series (and especially Game 8) is held out as a triumph for Canadian hockey, in many ways, it brought out the worst in us.

Arrogance.

Poor sportsmanship.

Poor fan behaviour.

The series, especially the games in Canada, were a real wake-up call to the Canadian hockey establishment, and even more so to the fans. 

I agree that Clarke's slash on Kharlamov's ankle, directed to do so by Ferguson, stands as the darkest moment in the series, and certainly taints the series victory. 

However, I still remember sitting in my elementary school classroom, watching the game on that crappy TV, and screaming with everyone else when Henderson put in the winning goal.

So, what's the final verdict?  Adversity brings the country together, but also demonstrates the "win at all costs" attitude prevalent when sports and patriotism combine?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans?:
    [QUOTE]As much as the Summit Series (and especially Game 8) is held out as a triumph for Canadian hockey, in many ways, it brought out the worst in us. Arrogance. Poor sportsmanship. Poor fan behaviour. The series, especially the games in Canada, were a real wake-up call to the Canadian hockey establishment, and even more so to the fans.  I agree that Clarke's slash on Kharlamov's ankle, directed to do so by Ferguson, stands as the darkest moment in the series, and certainly taints the series victory.  However, I still remember sitting in my elementary school classroom, watching the game on that crappy TV, and screaming with everyone else when Henderson put in the winning goal. So, what's the final verdict?  Adversity brings the country together, but also demonstrates the "win at all costs" attitude prevalent when sports and patriotism combine?
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

My final verdict is that Canada had to resort to the lowest of lows to win and that USSR should have been awarded the victory.

My other final verdict is that the fans at that time were purely disgusting.  Their guys were trying (as Espo stated in that awesome interview) and they offered nothing in return.  Of course, those same fans cheered until hoarse when Henderson scored.  Pathetic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

While not condoning Clarke's slash, the Soviets were no angels, behind the play stickwork, kicking, diving. The Red Army team was up until that time an unknown quantity and Canada thought they were going to have an easy time of it,they were wrong.Once Canada realized they had a dog fight on their hands and the real prospect of losing reared its ugly head,the war was on.The Canadian team felt the  pressure of an entire country expecting them to win and they did not want to come back to Canada as the losers.Winning 3 games in Russia and in the fashion they did it was no small feat, and Canada was relieved and proud.The slash,although regrettable,did not tarnish the Canadian victory in my eyes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans? : My final verdict is that Canada had to resort to the lowest of lows to win and that USSR should have been awarded the victory. My other final verdict is that the fans at that time were purely disgusting.  Their guys were trying (as Espo stated in that awesome interview) and they offered nothing in return.  Of course, those same fans cheered until hoarse when Henderson scored.  Pathetic.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Although you sometimes have some relevant thoughts to share, at least 60% of your posts are misguided, idiotic ramblings.  Your contribution to this thread is a classic example.  To proclaim an edict like the fans were "purely disgusting", is to call out behavior that is grossly beyond what normally occurs.  There are 30 home rinks in todays NHL.  Many of us have watched telecasts from all of them.  Virtually all of them, on occassion(including our beloved Bruins) mercilessly boo their own, when things aren't going well.  To suggest that those same fans are "pathetic|" for cheering til "hoarse" when things turn around, really questions your overall awareness.
    And the "USSR should have been awarded the victory"?.....that's real bright.   Anyone who follows hockey knows how sensible it would be to "NOT" award the victory to the winning team.  That would certainly make for a great precedent now wouldn't it?
    And those "lowest of lows"?  Care to dig yourself a deeper hole by attempting to explain that comment? A lot of 9 year old girls may appreciate the drama suggested by Clarks behavior, but the sensible among us balance the posturing coming out of 2 camps.   Gary Bergman offered up his shin pads as proof of some well placed kicks, and the concept of diving was first introduced by the Russians at this tournament.  There were all sorts of charges laid by both teams.  That is a fairly old concept, and it's meant to influence the uninformed among us.
    Congratulations.
    There were many leassons learned from that tournament in 1972.  You've failed to point out any of them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans? : Although you sometimes have some relevant thoughts to share, at least 60% of your posts are misguided, idiotic ramblings.  Your contribution to this thread is a classic example.  To proclaim an edict like the fans were "purely disgusting", is to call out behavior that is grossly beyond what normally occurs.  There are 30 home rinks in todays NHL.  Many of us have watched telecasts from all of them.  Virtually all of them, on occassion(including our beloved Bruins) mercilessly boo their own, when things aren't going well.  To suggest that those same fans are "pathetic|" for cheering til "hoarse" when things turn around, really questions your overall awareness. And the "USSR should have been awarded the victory"?.....that's real bright.   Anyone who follows hockey knows how sensible it would be to "NOT" award the victory to the winning team.  That would certainly make for a great precedent now wouldn't it? And those "lowest of lows"?  Care to dig yourself a deeper hole by attempting to explain that comment? A lot of 9 year old girls may appreciate the drama suggested by Clarks behavior, but the sensible among us balance the posturing coming out of 2 camps.   Gary Bergman offered up his shin pads as proof of some well placed kicks, and the concept of diving was first introduced by the Russians at this tournament.  There were all sorts of charges laid by both teams.  That is a fairly old concept, and it's meant to influence the uninformed among us. Congratulations. There were many leassons learned from that tournament in 1972.  You've failed to point out any of them.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

There is a major difference between NHL1 vs. NHL2 and Canada vs. Russia in the Summit Series.  Sorry you don't know the difference.

And yes, breaking the ankle of the other team's superstar is the lowest of lows.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans? : There is a major difference between NHL1 vs. NHL2 and Canada vs. Russia in the Summit Series.  Sorry you don't know the difference. And yes, breaking the ankle of the other team's superstar is the lowest of lows.
    I would agree that it is not very sportsmanlike, but i'm sure sustaining a broken ankle from a slash had and has happenened in the NHL before and after the Summit Series. But ending a players career as Eddie Shore did and Matt Cooke did,now i would consider that the lowest of lows.But then again,maybe we have different standards of what the lowest of lows implies. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans? : I would agree that it is not very sportsmanlike, but i'm sure sustaining a broken ankle from a slash had and has happenened in the NHL before and after the Summit Series. But ending a players career as Eddie Shore did and Matt Cooke did,now i would consider that the lowest of lows.But then again,maybe we have different standards of what the lowest of lows implies. 
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

I see them in different categories. 

Cooke and Shore didn't do what they did to win.  Cooke did it because he's a dirty player.  Shore buried Bailey because he had incredible anger issues.

Clarke's slash, which he has stated was intended to break the ankle, was done to give his team an edge.  It worked.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans? : I see them in different categories.  Cooke and Shore didn't do what they did to win.  Cooke did it because he's a dirty player.  Shore buried Bailey because he had incredible anger issues. Clarke's slash, which he has stated was intended to break the ankle, was done to give his team an edge.  It worked.

Clarke was instructed to do it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans? : Clarke was instructed to do it.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

“I don’t know what I was thinking at all. It was an awful thing to do. It sure felt good.” – Bobby Clarke on slashing Russian Star Valeri Kharlamov, breaking his ankle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans? : Clarke was instructed to do it.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/23/its-wrong-to-pay-for-cheap-shots

This happened shortly after assistant coach John Ferguson called Clarke over to the bench and said, “Bobby this guy (Kharlamov) is killin’ us.”

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/23/its-wrong-to-pay-for-cheap-shots This happened shortly after assistant coach John Ferguson called Clarke over to the bench and said, “Bobby this guy (Kharlamov) is killin’ us.”

in-direct instruction then none-the-less it was done on purpose and not in the heat of the moment.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans? : in-direct instruction then none-the-less it was done on purpose and not in the heat of the moment.

"This guy is killin' us" is not "I'm the coach.  You're the player.  Maim that guy because I said so."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans? : "This guy is killin' us" is not "I'm the coach.  You're the player.  Maim that guy because I said so."

Bottom line Clarke understood what he had to do.
    I think we're saying the same thing.                     

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Canada Cup documentary / Vancouver fans? : Bottom line Clarke understood what he had to do. I think we're saying the same thing.                     
    Legion, I think Clarke read too much into the comment by Ferguson. By saying "this guy's killing us", he's just pointing out that Kharlamov needs to be defended better. Very few players would take that as a request to end someone's career. Clarke is/was an idiot. That play wasn't well received by all of his teammates either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

What I think our American counter parts don't know is how the Soviet's used the KGB to also disrupt the Canadians while in Russia. Phoning their rooms every 20 mins to wake them up. This was the 70's & for NAS to make a big issue over a slash when slashing ankles to slow up a player was common place in the NHL. Bobby Clark was an idiot regardless, but for NAS or anyone else to make a big deal over a slash really are being a bit petty, or jealous because Canada learned to beat the Soviets with the talent they had & without the best player in the world playing & Bobby Hull not allowed the Canadians did fantastic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]What I think our American counter parts don't know is how the Soviet's used the KGB to also disrupt the Canadians while in Russia. Phoning their rooms every 20 mins to wake them up. This was the 70's & for NAS to make a big issue over a slash when slashing ankles to slow up a player was common place in the NHL. Bobby Clark was an idiot regardless, but for NAS or anyone else to make a big deal over a slash really are being a bit petty, or jealous because Canada learned to beat the Soviets with the talent they had & without the best player in the world playing & Bobby Hull not allowed the Canadians did fantastic.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

A slash that broke the ankle of the other team's best forward.

I do not doubt that the Canadians won the Summit Series.  I just have never seen it as much more than a tainted victory.  At least most of the people here are objective about it.  Many Canadians that I've spoke with about this hold Clarke in high regard for this spineless move.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

It really was a classic "Dream Team" example of what happens when you take essentially the most gifted individuals in the world, throw them out on the ice with basically no practice together whatsoever and get shocked when a "team" runs them over.  It took them quite awhile (and half a world) to figure out what hit them. 

I found it really interesting when they spoke about them coming together as a "team" while on the road, bonding as mates and forgetting their NHL rivalries.  It makes me think of the B's coming together in 2011 in Europe and on the road and through team-building excercises. Such things seem silly, but in hockey that connection really matters.

Regarding Clarke, it was ugly.  It was also 1972, and I have to say I wasnt all that horrified at the time. Im still not.  Plus, what Ferguson said to Clarke wasnt really a directive to take him out, even if a wink was involved.  I wonder what happened with Bertuzzi/Crawford? And it's very true the Soviets were not above dirty tricks, including the referees in Game 8, trying to refuse to let the Canadian players' wives attend in Russia and other assorted garbage. Cashman was taken out of the series from a stick blade vs Sweden directly to the face. I'm just not sure given the era and the circumstances if it was the assassination people are making it out to be.  Certainly Clarke enjoys the attention today.

Actually, I was more horrified by J P Parise's behavior to that ref than what Clarke did.

I was absolutely shocked at how bad both Dryden and Esposito looked.  They really were not factors at all.  They could have used the #3 guy... Ed Johnston!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

I was old enough and do remember a lot of it. One thing i do remember is the canadians showing a knee pad of one of there players to the media after a game.  The canadian player was kicked so hard with a russian skate that the tip of the blade penetrated all the way threw the hardest part of the pad. I don't recall the names of the players involved. That series was an absolute war. Anybody that suggests that win was tainted....could not have watched it, (or had the blinders on). 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I barely remember that series and was living in Canada at the time.  I tend to agree with NAS more than anyone else here...not that NAS wants or needs support.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

I mean no disrespect to anyone here, but if u did not watch the series your opinion means...........very little.

Sections
Shortcuts