Canadamageddon!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re: Canadamageddon!

I saw this title and thought it had to do with the Olympic roster reveal. Ha.

So for you sciency and non-sciency types, below is a good, normal, rational read with no bias and no agenda:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/01/06/can-global-warming-be-real-if-its-cold-in-the-u-s-um-yes/?tid=pm_pop

Yes, the world is warming. Yes, it is having unusual (yet unpredictable) outcome on everyday weather and living coditions for many people. Yes, humans are contributing to the problem and we know what the human-made impacts on climate change are. No, we don't know to what extent human versus natural conditions are the cause of the change in data and warming trend.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Now what people want to do with this information (overract vs do nothing) is an entirely different subject.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

C'mon asmaha, you know rationality and science don't have a place in global climate discussions anymore!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I read about this proffesor once but can't remember his name...echo...echo...echo...

Shouldn't you be at an Allen West or Rick Scott rally ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

One of our authoritative posters, who could give you the truth about this and other matters, seems to have disappeared.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I read about this proffesor once but can't remember his name...echo...echo...echo...

Shouldn't you be at an Allen West or Rick Scott rally ?

[/QUOTE]

Noooo...I'm not a conservative. Not even a republican. Plus I live in NE not FLA.

I just know how to look at things and form my own opinion. I read. I find and talk to people who know more about a subject than I do. I read some more. I look for inconsistency and bias. I certainly don't take the media at its word. An open mind, a bunch of study and analysis, plus some common sense is all it takes which is much more than what most people will base their opinion. More often than not I end up at the right place.

I also know when I'm being lied to. Hey, how do you know if Al Gore is lying? His lips are moving! :P

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Oh yeah, and if you Canadians would be so kind as to stop letting this arctic cold cross the border into the US, we'll stop sending you acid rain. Deal?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:[QUOTE] I read about this proffesor once but can't remember his name...echo...echo...echo...[/QUOTE]

I also know when I'm being lied to. Hey, how do you know if Al Gore is lying? His lips are moving! :P [/QUOTE]

You sure did say a mouthful of what your mindset and perception was before, during and after your research. In the end all some go by the way of what they are open to believe. You own it, it's yours to have. 

No matter what I show you or you show me in our research it wouldn't change a thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good discussion. For my three cents:

Earth doesn't need saving. We need to save ourselves.

Earth will take care of itself - always does.

Earth was here for millions of years before we came along, and will be around for millions more years after the last human is gone.

[/QUOTE]

Agree

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

WTL there's a difference between being a liar and a hypocrite. al gore is a hypocrite.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Oh no , earth only 7000 years old . That carbon dating is all bull

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

Good thing someone changed the name to climate change...global warming is kind of a tough sell when most of the country is -5 degrees. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:[QUOTE] I read about this proffesor once but can't remember his name...echo...echo...echo...[/QUOTE]

I also know when I'm being lied to. Hey, how do you know if Al Gore is lying? His lips are moving! :P [/QUOTE]

You sure did say a mouthful of what your mindset and perception was before, during and after your research. In the end all some go by the way of what they are open to believe. You own it, it's yours to have. 

The truth is I flipped on the climate change issue a few years back. I am open to changing my view on this and absolutely anything else. Except on the habs. They will always be a pack of no class diving cowards lol.

No matter what I show you or you show me in our research it wouldn't change a thing.

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

...except one of your opinions possibly?

I thought 'global warming' and receding ice caps, etc was part of a normal 64,000(?) year cycle of the evolution of the Earth? Happened before, it'll happen again.

Speaking of evolution, I can't wait to see the debate in the works between Bill Nye "The Science Guy" and a creationist group leader (forgive me if I can't recall his name) that believes the Earth is only 10,000 years old.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to adkbeesfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

WTL there's a difference between being a liar and a hypocrite. al gore is a hypocrite.

[/QUOTE]

True, he is a hypocrite. A liar too, but you're right, he is more of a hypocrite.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Never tire, preaching to the choir

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Never tire, preaching to the choir

[/QUOTE]

Not this guy.

What's the downside of being responsible and limiting our carbon footprints?

I don't see it.

Thanks. Bye.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's a bad name - you honestly think severe weather that is setting cold records across the continent may just maybe be linked to climate change? Just going out on a limb here.

And stay warm all you fellow Prairie folk.

[/QUOTE]

Global warming is one of the biggest myths in history.  Al Gore stacked his legacy on it.  And thus ended his positive legacy.  It's a joke.  No, the humans aren't destroying the Earth.  "But NAS, the polar ice caps are melting".  How did they get there?  Were they water first?  Who caused the Earth to freeze billions of years ago?

Damn dinosaurs.

[/QUOTE]

+100......nice to subtley change from Global Warming to "Climate Change". Me thinks those backing the theories around this BS are getting weaker and weaker. Wonder what they'll call it next? We don't even have weather records older than 100 yrs........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Bunch  of over educated liar, ivy league scientists workin for the liberal elite trying to mke us little people feel guilty for wanting to live like we want

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Wow, a climate change debate here.  With all of the usual hyperbole...

Can I throw a few facts/opinions in the ring?

1. Al Gore is an idiot.  I've never liked him.

2. But humans making the case that their activities don't affect the earth, is ridiculous.

3. Individual cold fronts or heat waves passing through parts of the Earth would have no bearing at all on whether climate change theories are correct or not.

4. Ocean temperatures around the globe are unquestionably going up and the increases are pretty alarming compared to historic trends.

5. Climate change driven by changing ocean temperatures is going to make some places warmer and some places colder.  Northern countries like the British Isles are predicted to become much colder if the ice caps melt and the oceans become less saline.

6. The amount of carbon dioxide in the air has always been linked proportionately to weather and average temperatures on Earth.  CO2 in the air has been increasing rapidly for decades, mush faster than historic ups and downs.

7. Climate change, and its possible causes will never be proven or disproven -- way too compliated and too many variables to ever isolate a cause and effect relationship.  However, to blow off the warnings of thousands of scientists is just as ignorant as declaring Al Gore a God.

8. Go Bruins.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bunch  of over educated liar, ivy league scientists workin for the liberal elite trying to mke us little people feel guilty for wanting to live like we want

[/QUOTE]

Is Gregory Campbell part of this conspiracy too?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2. But humans making the case that their activities don't affect the earth, is ridiculous.

3. Individual cold fronts or heat waves passing through parts of the Earth would have no bearing at all on whether climate change theories are correct or not.

4. Ocean temperatures around the globe are unquestionably going up and the increases are pretty alarming compared to historic trends.

5. Climate change driven by changing ocean temperatures is going to make some places warmer and some places colder.  Northern countries like the British Isles are predicted to become much colder if the ice caps melt and the oceans become less saline.

6. The amount of carbon dioxide in the air has always been linked proportionately to weather and average temperatures on Earth.  CO2 in the air has been increasing rapidly for decades, mush faster than historic ups and downs.

7. Climate change, and its possible causes will never be proven or disproven -- way too compliated and too many variables to ever isolate a cause and effect relationship.  However, to blow off the warnings of thousands of scientists is just as ignorant as declaring Al Gore a God.

8. Go Bruins.

[/QUOTE]

I concur with points #2 & #8.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]

8. Go Bruins.

[/QUOTE]

Fletch,

I'm in on #1 and #8 :P

My problem with much of this is, as was explained to me by a climatologist, that if a good understanding of climatology is represented by a full 50 gallon drum, climatology right now is about a teaspoon full at the bottom of the barrel.

Cheers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Fletch I think he might be. When he is not playing hockey, he might be a member of a secret cabal of climate changerists, who meet to throw temperature numbers and cold front locations around to confuse ordinary citizens about the weather they think they are experiencing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

[QUOTE]

Define historic. We've not been recording/tracking this kind of data for long. Who's to say the temperatures don't fluctuate......over long periods (of unrecorded) time?

See my point above.

Again, when you say historic.......you're talking about a very short time line. Who's to know whether or not these levels are a part of a normal cycle?

There are just as many "scientists" that say we're not on some apocalyptic road to climate change. I do agree though with your first statement: This is hugely complicated and the cause/effect is still uncertain. I don't think any us will live long enough to find out.

8. Go Bruins.

RIGHT ON!!

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Ok. cant let that last one slide. 3% of scientists is not "just as many" as 97%, ice core samples and other methods can be used to understand climates from hundreds of years ago, and technology to monitor all factors now is of course light years ahead of what we knew just a generation ago. But feel free to keep your heads in the sand. Then again, 46% of Americans polled last year believed the Earth is 6,000 years old. Soooooo...there's that.

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence

Sections
Shortcuts