Canada's Olympic Goalie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Re: Canada's Olympic Goalie

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to mattymcgee55's comment:

would be a nice story anyway.

crazy that the goaltending is so weak relative to the rest of that roster.

Simply not true.  

Yes it is! It's a crying shame how Canada's goaltending has gone into the toilet compared to the rest of world! 

Since 2000, 9 stanley cup winning goalies all Canadian. loungo has the 2010 gold medal.  Im not worried.  

Price Loungo Smith are favored to go.  Im very comfy with these 3.   Why you ask?   Oh duncan keith partnered with drew, how about weber paired with peitrangelo.  

i cant wait for that hockey.  Its gonna be awesome.  

Price, Luongo, Smith none seen as upper elite talents and none consistent. There will defenseman and forwards cut from team Canada that are upper elite and consistent.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

NOB, ever think why this may be true?  The CHL has talked about limiting export goalies coming into the league.  I would hope this would be a start.  Let them play in their own stinky leagues against sub par talent and see how they fair.  They come here, play in the best league, get the best training and then steal jobs.  

I put no stock in how a goalie does in one year.  They are so all over the place that finding a good consistant goalie is near impossible.  Show me a great system and i will show you a good goalie.  

Anderson, awesome in colarado, bad in colorado, traded awesome in ottawa, terrible in ottawa.  mason, fleury, bryz, price, halak, elliott, bulin, nabokov, etc etc etc.  

Greg Millen has finally done something I like. He was behind a group that has passed this across the Jr ranks in Canada. Hopefully this starts to bring the position around a bit. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

But what about import Fs and D? theyre also "stealing jobs".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Price, Luongo, Smith none seen as upper elite talents and none consistent. There will defenseman and forwards cut from team Canada that are upper elite and consistent.

Price has not only been consistent, he's capable of stealing a playoff series or Olympic tournament.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Simply not true.  

Simply not true? So the star studded back end and ridiculously talented forwards are not much stronger than the goaltending? Please, the floor is yours.

9 of the last 13 cup winners are canadian.  Crawford was fantastic last playoffs.  Loungo won the 2010 gold medal.  The floor is always mine but please try a rebuttal on that.  I think that the goalie position in general is hit and miss.  Just bc finland sweden and the US have a few elite goalies doesnt mean much.  Doesnt mean canadas are not in their class.  To me Quick is the best in the world.  But i would also have Price in the top 3-5.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Price has not only been consistent, he's capable of stealing a playoff series or Olympic tournament.

When has he done this? He has ONE play-off series win since he's been in the NHL. He had his chance just 7 months ago to steal a series against the Sens & he sucked the high hard one! Has done nothing to show me he's who I want in the net representing Canada. Of course you want him in there. You're an American as is NAS! Of course you want a dud in Canada's net. 

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Simply not true.  

Simply not true? So the star studded back end and ridiculously talented forwards are not much stronger than the goaltending? Please, the floor is yours.

9 of the last 13 cup winners are canadian.  Crawford was fantastic last playoffs.  Loungo won the 2010 gold medal.  The floor is always mine but please try a rebuttal on that.  I think that the goalie position in general is hit and miss.  Just bc finland sweden and the US have a few elite goalies doesnt mean much.  Doesnt mean canadas are not in their class.  To me Quick is the best in the world.  But i would also have Price in the top 3-5.  

And yo need to stay out of the evidence room! Where in the hell you're getting this from is not of this world! 

Canadians aren't short on elite talent in any other position. It's the net where Canada lacks World Class & they lack it badly! 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

A good goalie with great defensemen in front of him is a great goalie.

A great goalie with good defensemen in front of him is a good goalie.

And you need to stay out of the evidence room! Where in the hell you're getting this from is not of this world! 

That cracked me up, nite.

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

A good goalie with great defensemen in front of him is a great goalie.

A great goalie with good defensemen in front of him is a good goalie.

Yup.  Rask in Montreal has Price #s.  Price in boston has TT #s.  

Canadians aren't short on elite talent in any other position. It's the net where Canada lacks World Class & they lack it badly! 

You still havent touched the 9 Canadian goalies that have won since 2000.  What other country is dominating the goalie front.  I dont think there are a lot of elite goalies.  Good one year stink the next seems to be the norm.  

And TT in Florida has nite's numbers.

Simply not true.  

And yo need to stay out of the evidence room! Where in the hell you're getting this from is not of this world! 

Put Price in any good situation.  He took a crappy team to 2nd in the conf last year.  Montreal would be so bad if he wasnt there.   Montreal isnt a very good team.  

And TT in Florida has nite's numbers.

Haha.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I Would say carey price and crawford. So what i seen for USA goalie is miller may be on rebuilding team but Miller is playing good and high save %.

Miller and Price can handle the olympic pressure, this would be my personal pick for USA and Canada.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

When has he done this? He has ONE play-off series win since he's been in the NHL. He had his chance just 7 months ago to steal a series against the Sens & he sucked the high hard one! Has done nothing to show me he's who I want in the net representing Canada. Of course you want him in there. You're an American as is NAS! Of course you want a dud in Canada's net. 

Nite, how many people picked the Habs to make the playoffs last year? They won the division. A few years ago the Habs took the Bruins to 7 games. I'd argue he was the main reason. Even in that game 7 loss, he was terrific, Tim Thomas even raved about him after the series. Do you think Lundqvist is good? What has he won? He lost to the Bruins in 5 games last year, and I recall asking in this forum how many teams can lose a series in 5 games and you can say the goalie was nothing short of terrific.

That is a beautiful comeback!

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Simply not true.  

Many Cup winners could play for Canada, certainly doesnt make them elite. Andrew Shaw also just won the Cup, is he elite? Does he have a chance at playing for Canada? How about Rich Peverley?

Canada has 4 former Hart trophy winners up front with only Crosby the sure shot to make the team of those four. Let that sink in, 4 MVPs and 3 might not even make the team. They have the last 2 Selke winners. Canada has 2 Norris winners and multiple finalists. 6 Richard trophy winners.  Guess how many Vezina winners? excluding the old man that isnt in contention. The title of this thread speaks volumes of where Canada is in net relative to the elite roster they could ice as their JV team.  

Since the floor is always yours i'll take the penthouse. Canada is clearly weakest in net and if you want to keep up your ridiculous contrarian point of view I invite you to do so. Please just be more brash and self assured the next time you choose to do so.

Simply not true.  

Many Cup winners could play for Canada, certainly doesnt make them elite. Andrew Shaw also just won the Cup, is he elite? Does he have a chance at playing for Canada? How about Rich Peverley?

Canada has 4 former Hart trophy winners up front with only Crosby the sure shot to make the team of those four. Let that sink in, 4 MVPs and 3 might not even make the team. They have the last 2 Selke winners. Canada has 2 Norris winners and multiple finalists. 6 Richard trophy winners.  Guess how many Vezina winners? excluding the old man that isnt in contention. The title of this thread speaks volumes of where Canada is in net relative to the elite roster they could ice as their JV team.  

Since the floor is always yours i'll take the penthouse. Canada is clearly weakest in net and if you want to keep up your ridiculous contrarian point of view I invite you to do so. Please just be more brash and self assured the next time you choose to do so.

That might be the worst argument I've ever seen. Bringing up Andrew Shaw and Rich Peverley in a conversation about goalies? Really?  So you'll make your case against the canadien goalies who have Vezinas but will exclude the one with four? How do you know he is not in contention for one of the three spots? Have you seen his play that last month or so?

Goalies are more important to teams than third liners.

This holds no water.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

This holds no water.

U mean starting goalies are more important than 3rd liners don't u? 

In response to pauly1's comment:

This holds no water.

U mean starting goalies are more important than 3rd liners don't u? 

Do you mean hockey goalies or soccer goalies?

Sick puppy

point being that because a player wins the Cup doesn't equate that player to being elite. The Canadian offense and defense is clearly elite and could easily be argued that both are individually the best of any nation. saying that the goalies are at the same level because 9 out of 12 past Cup winners are Canadian is ridiculous. None of those 9 are currently elite which is why this thread was started promoting an unheralded Minny backup going in to the season. As an American I can only hope that Crawford, Cam Ward, MAF, or Marty Brodeur start in net for Canada based on him winning the Cup. I can also only hope that Khabibulin starts in net for mother Russia. Unfortunately for me, the people that run these teams will not use this ridiculous argumnet to decide who will man the net for their respective nations.

That might be the worst argument I've ever seen. Bringing up Andrew Shaw and Rich Peverley in a conversation about goalies? Really?  So you'll make your case against the canadien goalies who have Vezinas but will exclude the one with four? How do you know he is not in contention for one of the three spots? Have you seen his play that last month or so?

Worst argument you've ever heard? so it's not ok to exclude the 40 year old goalie that wasn't even invited to the camp? I have seen him play and I can only hope that Brodeur is in net for Canada when the games begin. Now please argue against that and tell me how Canadian goaltending is in the same class as the rest of their roster.

Some of you guys are laughable. The condescending, self righteous attitude has killed this board. Used to be level headed discussion, now for the most part it's a group that speaks as if theyre enlightening others. Again, laughable is the best description. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts