Canadian youth hockey beating leads parent to question culture of hockey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Canadian youth hockey beating leads parent to question culture of hockey

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/brutal-canadian-youth-hockey-beating-leads-parent-culture-150110491.html

"After what can only be described as a "brutal beating" of their son during a Canadian youth hockey game and the perceived ensuing missteps by authorities, Wes and Julie Major have gone public to CBC News with video of what they consider an assault.

Even Woodstock manager Maria Velda admitted in a letter to Alliance Hockey, "I've observed many games where this very thing happens and the player receives an unsportsmanlike penalty or perhaps a shove by the goalie and it's left at that."

Only the teenaged Major didn't just get shoved. He got crosschecked, had his helmet removed and received a dozen blows to the head from a player with a history of fighting. Major did not fight back and somehow skated off the ice on his own volition."

A. The two linesman are the biggest wuss n boots for allowing the beatdown to continue.

B. Both kids are idiots. One for snowing a goalie and not defending himself. The other for continuing to hit someone who is already done.

Kids these days Stink!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Canadian youth hockey beating leads parent to question culture of hockey

Youth hockey fighting is one of the worst aspects in the hockey world.  Arenas cheering a 17 year old and a 16 year old squaring off is just insanity.

Fighting belongs in hockey, but not youth hockey. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Amen Sandog.  I can't quite understand what the heck the refs are doing.

But both kids also seem like they've got a lot of learning to do.  The victim should learn that you don't come in and blatantly snow the goalie in a game you are winning and then not expect to have to defend yourself.  The perpetrator needs to learn that there is nothing tough or decent about driving punches into the head of someone who isn't fighting back.  It's cowardly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I know the three of you are my usa brothers, and not sure if youve ever watched minor hockey in canada.  But its a business.  Ive seen parents in novice go over the boards and fight with coaches.  Ive seen coaches assault kids.  its embarassing.  In some areas they are eliminating seating areas near ice surface.  It used to be play hockey until spring then play soccer and baseball. Now its hockey year round. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I know the three of you are my usa brothers, and not sure if youve ever watched minor hockey in canada.  But its a business.  Ive seen parents in novice go over the boards and fight with coaches.  Ive seen coaches assault kids.  its embarassing.  In some areas they are eliminating seating areas near ice surface.  It used to be play hockey until spring then play soccer and baseball. Now its hockey year round. 

I sounds a lot like little league baseball here...parents get all over coaches for making their kid sit on the bench, argue with the umpires, scream at their kids during the games, scream at other kids during the games, etc.  I hate to see that stuff. I firmly believe that's when sports is at its best...when the kids are playing, it's still a game being played 'for the love of the game'. No money involved...no 'shot at the bigs'...no scolarship being dangled like a carrot in front of a mule...it's just kids playing because it's fun. Get some (not all) of the parents involved and it gets out of hand. They kind of live vicariously thru the kids and forget what the purpose of the game is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to gaaucoin's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

I sounds a lot like little league baseball here...parents get all over coaches for making their kid sit on the bench, argue with the umpires, scream at their kids during the games, scream at other kids during the games, etc.  I hate to see that stuff. I firmly believe that's when sports is at its best...when the kids are playing, it's still a game being played 'for the love of the game'. No money involved...no 'shot at the bigs'...no scolarship being dangled like a carrot in front of a mule...it's just kids playing because it's fun. Get some (not all) of the parents involved and it gets out of hand. They kind of live vicariously thru the kids and forget what the purpose of the game is.

Great post and very true.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Have to agree with NAS here.

Sections
Shortcuts