Canucks announce Torts as new coach.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Canucks announce Torts as new coach.

He wouldn't have been my first choice, but perhaps he's the guy to light a fire under this underperforming team.

He's saying all the right things (so far).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Re: Canucks announce Torts as new coach.

Surprised he was the choice. Wonder how the Sedin brothers (sisters) will adapt to a shot blocking style system. Or maybe Tortorella will change his system to fit the roster. Interesting all around...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Both clubs would've saved money by a straight trade of coaches. I hope the Fonz didn't get a 5 year deal too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It will be very interesting with the Sedins.  Vignault seemed more their style.  Guys like Edler too.

It will certainly be interesting and I for one am all for a culture change up there, so I can start respecting the franchise of Trevor Linden again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

So the GM builds a team with players that are suited for a wide open style, then hires a trap coach that was just fired because the high-end individual talent on that team, could not play for him.

Makes perfect sense :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Bomb will go off by midseason.  

ending threads since '07

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

For some reason I dont think the Sedins will be asked to block shots. Not anything against them, I just think Torts may have to realize he has to pay attention tot he offensive part of the game. If he does, not a bad team to make the adjusments with...They really need to figure out the goaltending situation. I dotn see them buying Luongo out as they value him. And they should, he had a good year.

I dont really see a match here, but you never know.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

Torterlla is a bad fit for almost any NHL team right now.

His "shot-blocking mentality" failed miserably in the playoffs.

He failed to relate to any of his players.

He had great difficulty changing things up during the playoffs which is a must to go deep.

I'll pick Vancouver to finish in the bottom six next year.............................

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

If Gillis stand behind him, I think it's a great decision.  If there's an NHL team out there, that needs a taskmaster, it's Vancouver.  Obviously, the brass agrees.

Despite his antics, Tortorella is a smart hockey guy.  He's a lot brighter than just a shot blocking coach.  He's worked successfully with high end offensive talent before, and he's got better horses this time.  I'm sure he's learned a few lessons each time he's been canned too.

The key is management having the gonads to respect their own decision for at least a couple years.  If players start whining to Gillis, and he rewards that crap by even listening, the project will never get off the ground.

Gillis needs to get his act together too.  The Sedins get a lot of unfair criticism.  That team needs more toughness "around" the Sedins.  Assuming they should be tougher, or become tougher, is flawed.  They are finesse players.  Focusing on the improvement of strength, is a more plausible and rewarding effort, than trying to pound square pegs into round holes.

Sections
Shortcuts