Canucks to retire Bure's No. 10: Lightning in a bottle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Canucks to retire Bure's No. 10: Lightning in a bottle

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=678816&navid=DL|NHL|home

"Now, after a career that started with 254 goals and 478 points in 428 games over seven mostly electrifying seasons with Vancouver. Bure scored 58 and 59 goals in his first two full seasons with the Panthers and played one more partial season in Florida. His career was slowed by knee injuries and ended with parts of two seasons with the New York Rangers. Bure finished with 437 goals and 779 points in 702 games."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPLWImdVYTQ

Unbeliveable power in his legs, almost won the 94' cup a few times. I miss Pavel sick rushes!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: Canucks to retire Bure's No. 10: Lightning in a bottle

Bure was always a beast of a skater when ever I played any of the NHL games from the 90's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The single most exciting player I've seen play live.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Since it's summertime...

Tainted stats, he was on PED's.

In all seriousness, he was awesome.  I was hoping Samsonov was going to be his second coming.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I'll never forget that first game vs. the Jets (I was there!).  He didn't score, but made at least a half-dozen end-to-end, full speed rushes that brought the Pacific Coliseum to its feet.

I also remember the time in the '94 run, the Dallas series, where he was constantly being cross-checked, slashed and grabbed by the Stars.  He finally had enough and absolutely destroyed Shane Churla with a blind-side elbow to the head.  It would be a 5-game playoff suspension (minimum!) today, but as I recall, didn't even warrant a minor penalty.  A fine after the fact, but no penalty.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

He was electrifying.  So fun to watch.  I rooted hard for him and Linden to beat the Rangers.

And...people who were complete and total non-hockey fans loved him because he was so deadly in NHL-94. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I forget what game it was or what team it was, (maybe Russia?) but I used to get Fedorov with Bure and just torch every other team. Those guys were just insanely fast.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

He was electrifying.  So fun to watch.  I rooted hard for him and Linden to beat the Rangers.

And...people who were complete and total non-hockey fans loved him because he was so deadly in NHL-94. 

He certainly was. I actually still have a working Sega with every NHL and Madden..Tecmo Bowl is a favorite though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

He sure could fly and finish, but had zero defensive responsibilities. I remember when they played Philly the Flyer announcers used to ride him during his shifts for it. "There's Bure, waiting at the blueline for the puck, as usual". What would CJ do with him, 3rd line maybe? - ha ha. Wonder how many goals guys like him would score in today's game? Maybe 30-40?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Since it's summertime...

Tainted stats, he was on PED's

In all seriousness, he was awesome.  I was hoping Samsonov was going to be his second coming.

Nice one Hang!

@Kelv - I would only put Lemieux slightly ahead of Bure live. Mario couldn't do the end to and with the bursts of speed though. The video on NHL.com is just pure leg power and incredible hands. Too bad about the knees.