Cap Solution

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha77. Show tremha77's posts

Cap Solution

Simple. Trade Chara now while he has value. The last 2 playoffs have not been good for him so translate that forward for 4 more years and I don't think that ends well.  I appreciate all has done and can continue to do BUT you have to manage your assets and sometimes sell high and potentially take a step back to take a bigger step forward.  

Now bring on all the criticism about what an idiot I am and what a bad idea this is.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: Cap Solution

Tremha ...I have suggested that 2 years ago after the BRUINS won the cup....now you can probably still get a good player for him but not a great player....Chara is not getting any younger , he has slowed down and yes I agree with you we should trade him ...if he accepts to remove his non trade clause....lets hope he has a good start this season and lets hope that PC shares our view.

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 3 more Cups by 2020

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

The BRUINS have enough depth at D we could survive without Chara ....Hamilton is ready to take over and he has a much more accurate shot on net than Zdeno ...same for Krug ....we could get a bery good young player from teams like the Panther, the Oilers, Columbus ...oh well lets see if PC is still a good GM

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Stanley is solidly behind your hypothesis Tremha77.

Nuff said.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to tremha77's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Simple. Trade Chara now while he has value. The last 2 playoffs have not been good for him so translate that forward for 4 more years and I don't think that ends well.  I appreciate all has done and can continue to do BUT you have to manage your assets and sometimes sell high and potentially take a step back to take a bigger step forward.  

Now bring on all the criticism about what an idiot I am and what a bad idea this is.  

[/QUOTE]

Take Chara off of the Bruins and theyre a different team. You'd be spending 5 million on a defenseman who isn't even as close to him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

Dion Phaneuf is a bigger cap hit than Chara, and isn't 1/2 the player Z is.

A Stanley Cup contender cannot trade their #1 D-man, and team leader. Chara is a unique talent, and teams would find it much easier to compete against Boston, without him patrolling the defensive zone.

The fact he keeps himself in phenomenal shape, and being a finalist for the Bobby Orr Norris trophy, is an indication he will probably remain a force for the duration of his contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

People say the most important position in hockey is the goaltender. I disagree, it's the number one d man. The last team to win the cup without an elite d man was Pittsburg. Your cup contenders: boston, Chicago, la, St. Louis. That would be my top four. What do they all have in common? An elite number one guy that can play three zones

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I'm not sure PC could find a GM willing to take him.  I think he should buy him out.

-GNB, King Of The Forum

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

People say the most important position in hockey is the goaltender. I disagree, it's the number one d man. The last team to win the cup without an elite d man was Pittsburg. Your cup contenders: boston, Chicago, la, St. Louis. That would be my top four. What do they all have in common? An elite number one guy that can play three zones

[/QUOTE]

Great topic for discussion.If I'm forced to choose, I may take the elite goaltender over the elite defenseman simply because he is on the ice for the entire game. Either way, I still think you need a mix of all the ingredients, and the four teams you mentioned a proof of it. St. Louis got Miller, thought it was the answer. They needed scoring. Another example is Nashville for the few years. They had Rinne plus Suter and Weber. Nothing up front. No results. Chicago has a great mix of d-men, forwards and goaltending. Same with L.A.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

If the B,s fall completely on their face & you have a taker at the deadline for draft choices, do it. Other then that see what he has for one more year & then you would have to seriously think about a buy out before losing Boychuk,Krecji & Soderberg. You also have Hamilton coming up on his pay day. The cap stuff has to end some where & considering Charas age its reasonable to think about this. Isnt this what the buy outs all about?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You jinkeroos have no idea of Chara's value.

For those okay with him being traded, what would you request in return?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

If the B,s are out at deadline day, which is pretty farfetched, you could probably get a 1st, 2 good prospects & a whole lot of cap relieve. Of course with the title of "cap solution" if you were to trade him today you would get a young RW (cheap) a prospect & #1 if you were lucky, to keep the solution aspect. How bout Toffoli, Nolan & a 1 from LA! or something like that? What do you think you could get NAS? Its a great question with his age & money, I think its nearly impossible to even get someone to bite honestly. Only a true contender would take him on & that would be only if they had cap space. Remember the bottom feeders are  not throwing #1s out there with the up coming draft

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree 100 percent.  Dmen easily the most important.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You jinkeroos have no idea of Chara's value.

For those okay with him being traded, what would you request in return?

[/QUOTE]

If he still has such a great value on the market ...why not ask the Oilers Jordan Eberle and a 1st round pick ...I'do this trade instantly if I were PC

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Or with Columbus...one on one for Ryan Johansen

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

How on earth is jinkeroo NOT a banned word on BDC? W.T.F. Dottie! Do your f***ing job!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Stupid to think of trading or buying out Chara.  With his size and length, he will still be effective as he closes out his contract.

That said, would like to see CJ repurpose Cedfano's TOI to focus on being a shut-down beast.  No more net front presence on the PP.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stupid to think of trading or buying out Chara.  With his size and length, he will still be effective as he closes out his contract.

That said, would like to see CJ repurpose Cedfano's TOI to focus on being a shut-down beast.  No more net front presence on the PP.

[/QUOTE]

To be fair, his reg season icetime was the lowest it had been in some time. His injury in the playoffs was caused by a slash, not by standing in front of the net on the PP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Kelly. Nothing else makes remote sense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ott's still available. Maybe a Richards/Downie type 1 year "prove your worth" contract may be increasingly viable the longer he unsigned?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To be fair, his reg season icetime was the lowest it had been in some time. His injury in the playoffs was caused by a slash, not by standing in front of the net on the PP.

[/QUOTE]

Net front on the PP unnecessarily burns calories for the big man.  Let him burn those calories in front of Rask's net.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

No argument from me Crowls.  Unfortunately, the PP was successful for the most part with him there...meaning someone will have to replace him there in front of the net. And no it just can't be anyone....but someone who has the capacity to be effective there. Lucic would be the obvious candidate but he is not worked well in this role for whatever reason.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Bahaahahahahaha.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

To clarify, "bahahahahaha" means no.  I had a friend who's a Penguins fan and knows his hockey say recently, "I hate Chara.  I hate him because he's unfair.  Someone like him shouldn't be allowed to exist".

The Bruins without Chara are only a slightly above average team.  He's that good.  When he's on the ice, he effectively eliminates whatever elite player he's facing.  Crosby.  Ovechkin.  It doesn't matter.  If the Bruins wanted to trade him because PC gets brain damage, 29 teams would take him and give up quite a bit to get him.  Chara is a unique talent and the Bruins should keep him as long as he can lace up skates.

Btw, did anyone notice he was a Norris finalist?  It would be virtually impossible for the Bruins to get better by trading Chara.  Maybe if they got Buffalo's next 3 1st rounders.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ott's still available. Maybe a Richards/Downie type 1 year "prove your worth" contract may be increasingly viable the longer he unsigned?

[/QUOTE]

I like Ott, but he is a lefty center, and Boston needs help on the right side.

Also, the Bruins don't have the money to sign the players they own the rights, to. There is no way they can bring in more players.

The more you look at their cap situation, the more apparent that there has to be a trade coming, and the two most likely candidates, IMO, are Boychuk & Kelly.

Move the 2 for draft picks, with no salary coming back, and that would give them enough to sign Smith & Krug, and the rest of the RFA's.

I'm a big fan of Boychuk, but it's either him, or Seidenberg, or Chara.