Cap Space - Actual Numbers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

Cap Space - Actual Numbers

I got sick of waiting for CapGeek and NhlNumbers to update their pages, seeing them say we had to clear 1.8M to 1.9M for Savard, and reading through multiple threads with posters asking about 'how much cap space we have' etc etc.  The Bruins placed Trent Whitfield on LTIR recently, and neither site updated their numbers.  Then an article quoting a Bruins source says we only need to clear 1.1M for Savard, so I just had to do the numbers myself to see.  It's true, and I'm almost positive the numbers are right.  I just threw it up on a web page real quick so if there are any problems just let me know.  The Important Information is at the bottom:

Savard Comes Back   $1,104,438  in cap space to clear
    Savard and Sturm       $4,604,438  in cap space to clear

Eric66's Cap Numbers

By the way, for players with bonuses, the amount of space saved by trading/demoting them is under the 'guaranteed' column.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

Re: Cap Space - Actual Numbers

Thank you for taking the time to run the numbers and post them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I'm not at home so I can't check, but that looks identical to my spreadsheet.  I think the Savard number is right, but haven't checked that.  The Savard + Sturm number is definitely correct.

I don't know if it is within your skill-set, but it might be fun to add buttons that would let you toggle wether a player is counted against the cap or not.  It would help people see if their clearance ideas would work or not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

I think it's a given that Paille will be gone since he's surplus to requirements at the moment. That leaves Savard replacing one of the bodies that are currently playing (Caron sits, Wheeler back to wing maybe).

It gets interesting when Savard and Sturm are both back. How much space can be saved by shuttling players on 2-way contracts back and forward to Providence between matches? (San Jose did this a year or so back I believe).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

So why did they wait until now to put Whitfield on the LTIR?  Would there have been any benefit to doing it at the start of the season?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Cap Space - Actual Numbers:
    [QUOTE]So why did they wait until now to put Whitfield on the LTIR?  Would there have been any benefit to doing it at the start of the season?
    Posted by RascalHoudi[/QUOTE]

I saw that and thought the same thing.... why did the Bs wait?  Medical or smart business?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

[QUOTE]So why did they wait until now to put Whitfield on the LTIR?  Would there have been any benefit to doing it at the start of the season?

Not really. The fact they are getting cap relief means they're already over the cap allowance. LTIR only kicks in once you have no cap allowance left over (daily allowance + banked allowance).

Whitfield on LTIR will give some extra relief which may help to accomodate Savard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

Good job!

Daniel Paille     1,075,000    
    Andrew Ference     2,250,000    
    Matt Hunwick     1,450,000

Waive Paille, try to trade Ference, Hunwick first. Ference is good, but way overpaid.  Bring McQuaid back, another lower tier D.  Unfortunately Ryder's value to price ratio is way out of whack, or he would be here.  He's having a good year too.  I wouldn't even consider trading TT right now.  Something's got to give.  

This is what really kills me:

Peter Schaefer     766,667
    Wow!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know if it is within your skill-set, but it might be fun to add buttons that would let you toggle wether a player is counted against the cap or not.  It would help people see if their clearance ideas would work or not.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Yeah that would be cool, but im not that good, all I did was copy and paste my excel spreadsheet.   If you can do that sort of thing, I'd be more than happy to let you edit the page.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

I had thought they did this at the beginning of the season. It's possible that they just didn't announce it until now, and probable that his LTIR is retroactive to the beginning of the season.

EDIT: According to CapGeek, Whitfield is on Season-Opening Injured Reserve

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

[QUOTE]It gets interesting when Savard and Sturm are both back. How much space can be saved by shuttling players on 2-way contracts back and forward to Providence between matches? (San Jose did this a year or so back I believe).
    Posted by Kurako[/QUOTE]

Caron, Marchand, and McQuaid are the only players on 2-way contracts, and McQuaid's is the only non-entry level deal.  As far as I know Caron and Marchand can be shuttled back and forth without waivers, but I'm not sure about McQuaid.  Bookboy pointed out on another thread that McGrattan, despite being on a 2-way contract, had to clear waivers to be assigned to Providence.  I am not sure whether it's entry level deals, age, or NHL experience that determines when waivers apply.

In any case:
    1,000,000  Caron
       821,667  Marchand
       575,000  McQuaid
    2,396,667 total.  Caron and Marchands numbers include their bonuses, but they are not taken into account until the end of the season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Cap Space - Actual Numbers:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap Space - Actual Numbers : I saw that and thought the same thing.... why did the Bs wait?  Medical or smart business? Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Already had two players on LTIR plus the Bruins had just been investigated for Savard's salary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap Space - Actual Numbers : Already had two players on LTIR plus the Bruins had just been investigated for Savard's salary.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Thanks that does explain the rationale.  I did not know that there was a limitation on the number of players on LTIR though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

actually the bruins are under the cap when savy returns no moves need to be made until both 91 and 16 return then 2.9 needs to be cleared...........and for those who think moving either ryder or sturm....thats just crazy...both of them are better than keeping 19, 38 in the lineup 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

[QUOTE]actually the bruins are under the cap when savy returns no moves need to be made until both 91 and 16 return then 2.9 needs to be cleared...........and for those who think moving either ryder or sturm....thats just crazy...both of them are better than keeping 19, 38 in the lineup 
    Posted by bruins8[/QUOTE]

I am glad you think the B's are under the cap when Savvy returns but how do you figure that?  Are you suggesting that the Bruins front office was wrong yesterday when they stated they are 1.1 mil over the cap?

Your point about Ryder and Sturm over Seg and Car is debatable but not outlandish.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Cap Space - Actual Numbers:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap Space - Actual Numbers : Thanks that does explain the rationale.  I did not know that there was a limitation on the number of players on LTIR though.
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

I don't know if there is a limitation on how many players can go on LTIR but I just think Chiarelli was being cautious.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

anyone who feels the bruins are stronger w seguin and caron in lineup over sturm and ryder are delusional

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

McQuaid we keep and trade Hunwick(for pick) will give us aprox.(- 800,000.00)

Ryder will go to Stl. for prospect AHL                                    (-4,000,000.00)
    Paille will be traded to Toronto they need PK help                   (-800,000.00)

Total cap space for bruins 5.6 mill and go from their

The bruins line will be good depth

Looch Savrd Horton
    Sturm Krejci Seguin ( trade Wheels for D man beauchemen from toronto )        
    Marchand Bergy Seguin
    Caron Campbell Thornton

Chara Boychuk
    Beauchimen Siedenberg
    Ference Struart
    McQuaid

wait until deadline to make more more moves

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

[QUOTE]McQuaid we keep and trade Hunwick(for pick) will give us aprox.(- 800,000.00) Ryder will go to Stl. for prospect AHL                                    (-4,000,000.00) Paille will be traded to Toronto they need PK help                   (-800,000.00) Total cap space for bruins 5.6 mill and go from their The bruins line will be good depth Looch Savrd Horton Sturm Krejci Seguin ( trade Wheels for D man beauchemen from toronto )         Marchand Bergy Seguin Caron Campbell Thornton Chara Boychuk Beauchimen Siedenberg Ference Struart McQuaid wait until deadline to make more more moves
    Posted by boborielly224[/QUO
    You were on the right track with the Hunwick trade.  They saved his entire cap # of $1.45 mil because they place Cohen in the minors.  McQuaid already counts against the cap because they were carrying 7 D.

Looks like this is the only move needed to make for Savvy's return.  Now Sturm...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Good news!  CapGeek finally got its trade calculator updated.
    From what I can tell, so long as neither of the 'Projected' values at the bottom end up below 0, the trade will work.

Also, they've got a waiver calculator.  It doesn't really seem to do what it should (read from a database and tell you) but instead asks 3 questions.  Did he trigger his contract at 18 or 19, career number of NHL games, and year of first contract.  It looks like both years played and games played can trigger the removal of waiver exemptions.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/

“This was one of the steps that we had to take as an organization to take care of the cap situation,” Chiarelli said of the trade, which landed them former Boston University defenseman Colby Cohen.

“This will be enough to activate Savard when he’s ready to play,” Chiarelli added.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Why would they want to trade Paille to Leafs to help their PK? And wheeler for another D? why?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

Thats cool DrCC, I'll have to go check that out

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gapc. Show gapc's posts

<<Savard Comes Back   $1,104,438  in cap space to clear
    Savard and Sturm       $4,604,438  in cap space to clear />>

So when Sturm is ready to come back, the Bs have to free up approx 3.5M?

Sections
Shortcuts