Cap space

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

Cap space

Not sure if this has been revisited lately, but how much will the B's be over the cap when Savard/Sturm return?  Also, thoughts on who goes?  The word is a goalie or Ryder, but who is it really feasible to get rid of, given contracts?  Personally I would hate to see TT go, Ryder is an option, but he is definitely way better all around this season.  The question is, who would want him?  How about Wheeler?  He is also improved defensively, but he can't seem to hit the net enough.  It almost seems like we need to bring Sturm back and keep Savard out extra time until the playoff picture starts to unfold.  I definitely like McQuaid, and I would be comfortable losing Hunwick in a trade.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Cap space

http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/11/17/capgeek-com-clears-up-bruins-cap-crunch-situation/

"According to CapGeek.com, as explained on the site’s Twitter feed, you project that overage over the course of the full season and you come to a total around $4.9 million that the Bruins have to clear for Savard and Sturm."

"But when people like head coach Claude Julien ask why Michael Ryder’s name keeps coming up in terms of making cap cuts, there’s you’re answer. If you have to cut close to $5 million in cap space, it’s a lot easier to slice $4 million off with just one player than to jettison three or four guys. Is Ryder playing well? Sure. But he’s not exactly ripping it up"

Depends on who you like Ryder or Sturm ? I'd say on this board it's 60-40 in favor of Ryder staying but I say it will be Ryder who goes it's just the easiest for Chiarelli instead of what Matt Kalman mentions having to move 3 players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

They have to shed $4.6M from the current roster.  If Chiarelli is willing to buy time by sending Caron and Marchand to Providence (both are still waiver exempt, right?), that goes down to $3.1M.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Why does everyone assume Sturm will be on this team when he returns.  The guy is coming off another injury and hasn't been very productive when healthy.  So why would the Bruins bother to make cap space for him?  They're better off keeping him in the minors.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

Thanks for those of you who were positive in your replies.  I haven't been here in awhile.  Life happens.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  Hopefully we can maintain the same chemistry.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: Cap space:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for those of you who were positive in your replies.  I haven't been here in awhile.  Life happens.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  Hopefully we can maintain the same chemistry.
    Posted by fordprefect[/QUOTE]

The answer's 42.  You of ALL people should know that!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Agree Tim Thomas. He reminds me of Paillie, except with a better touch, but not that much better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap space : The answer's 42.  You of ALL people should know that!!!!!
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

Yes but what is the question?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

How many hairs does BC Bob Sweeney have left on his moustache?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap space : Yes but what is the question?

Touche!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from macdogcharm. Show macdogcharm's posts

is it possible to send/keep sturm in the minors? if so...is that enough to make us "cap compliant"? does he have a contract that would allow us to do that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap space : Yes but what is the question?

What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

At least this is the best guess they have as to what the question is.  Favorite author of all time and Mos Def is my favorite Hip Hop artist of all time. But even with this combination brought together through the movie I was still dissapointed, what did you think?

By the way this is relevant to the discussion folks because this is precisely the type of math the B's need to figure out in order to keep all the players I like when everyone is healthy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Sturm's health is questionable when he returns but the notion that he hasnt been very good isnt right. Lead the team in goals last season, not that it was all that much but better than most alternatives. Sturm > Ryder.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]Sturm's health is questionable when he returns but the notion that he hasnt been very good isnt right. Lead the team in goals last season, not that it was all that much but better than most alternatives. Sturm > Ryder.
    Posted by mattymcgee55[/QUOTE]

The key point in that statement is health. Healthy Sturm is /> Ryder better skater better PK player more Heart. Problem is Ryder doesnt get hurt! I dont know why but he doesnt. Sturm is on his 2nd Replacement ACL at 30+ years the bruins need to be very careful because Ryder is on a good pace and they get rid of him and Sturm goes down right away that would be a huge gaff.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The amount the Bruins need to clear is actually closer to 2 million due to the Long-term injury exceptions for Sturm and Savard.  7.5million *2/6 months missed = 2+ million saved and counting.  They will still probably move Ryder though, because that will allow some cap wiggle-room.  Sturm has a no-movement clause so he can't be sent to the minors or traded or anything else.  That is why people assume he will be on the team, because he will be on the team.  It doesn't matter if he's better than anyone else or not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

That's how much remaining salary they have to move - but how much cap space they have left is also scaled by the 2/6 months missed.  The end result is that it factors out, and you can work purely with the yearly salaries.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]The amount the Bruins need to clear is actually closer to 2 million due to the Long-term injury exceptions for Sturm and Savard.  7.5million *2/6 months missed = 2+ million saved and counting.  They will still probably move Ryder though, because that will allow some cap wiggle-room.  Sturm has a no-movement clause so he can't be sent to the minors or traded or anything else.  That is why people assume he will be on the team, because he will be on the team.  It doesn't matter if he's better than anyone else or not.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I believe your math is off for a few different reasons.  First you need to remove the salary equall to the time these guys are active not for the time they are away.  This means multiply by 4/6 or 2/3.  Secondly only the prorarated salary of the guy you remove is calculated, so while what your looking at has some validity you also have to remember that a guy like Wheeler at  ~2.5 mil or whatever if removed would only count for 1.7 million in your calculation. Finally the B's aren't over the full amount of those two contracts.

Long story short.  Go read Kalman's article which is linked above, it's a very good read and will dispel any misperceptions that I may have inadvertently added to the conversation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=5

Sturm has an NTC so he can be sent to the minors. Thomas is the only player that has an NMC/NTC. There is more savings if they keep Marco. Where Chiarelli can succeed with this is when he sends Ryder to Providence he can pull Michael back during the playoffs without having to risk losing him on re-entry. During the regular season he risks having to pay half of Ryder's salary if Michael is calaimed.

"Michael Ryder landed two shots on net and went without a point for the fourth time in the last five games. His trade stock is sinking."

It isn't sinking it sank already!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Pretty sure he only has a NTC and can be sent to minors.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"NTC - player cannot be traded without his consent; consent not required for waivers for assignment to minors.
    NMC - player cannot be traded, waived for a claim by another team, or assigned to the minors without his consent."

Unless this has been changed...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

Why do you have such a hate on for Ryder SanDog??  There are a lot worse players around for that type of salary.  Sure I would like to see him light the lamp every game but he has been playing with Thorton and Paille lately...c'mon, hows he gonna do it on that line?? I know you know more about the good old game of hockey that.  I pick Ryder over Sturm any day!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Cap space:[QUOTE]Why do you have such a hate on for Ryder SanDog??  There are a lot worse players around for that type of salary.  Sure I would like to see him light the lamp every game but he has been playing with Thorton and Paille lately...c'mon, hows he gonna do it on that line?? I know you know more about the good old game of hockey that.  I pick Ryder over Sturm any day!Posted by scottm50[/QUOTE]

Just having learned from last year I'd rather not see PC trade three able NHL ready bodies to keep one who only shows up every 4 to 5 games is all. Hate is a strong word for I feel he has too much talent to put the Bruins management into an already foregone conclusion. Michael is going down because he's been given too many chances.

What happened last year, all year when he was receiving sweet feds from Krejci ? "fumble" "Oh if I hadn't hit so many posts". His career might be in jeopardy come this July 1st but he doesn't act like it IMO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

SanDog

Did you see Milbury Blast Ryder after the game last night when he showed up for the Interview instead of Bergy???

Ryder said something like that he feels he's skating faster and hes stronger than last year and he feels more confident.

Milbury asks him what was wrong last year.

Ryder has no real answer and milbury looked so happy! Hhaah I thought it was an a$$$hole thing to do but pretty damn funny as well.

Sections
Shortcuts